Unfettered Prisoner

Unfettered Prisoner

A Poem by Marvin Lewis Jr.



Unfettered Prisoner 

 

 

 

When the sun is smiling I try to forget what transpired 

While the moon was crying, 

Bearing witness to the undeserved chastisement, 

I’ve received torment without reason; 

Yet it seems like the blackness of night wasn’t big enough to hide in. 

Every activity is interrupted by mortifying images of raised hands. 

The remembrance of making eye contact with eyes blood-shot with wrath cuts me deep. 

I conceal the wounds by wearing humor like a mask. 

But underneath it I lament the tears of generations, 

Pretending like the years of relentless pain didn’t faze me, 

Closing chapters of depression with a: 

“Maybe I deserved it.” 

Frightening moments of being awoken in the middle of the night keep replaying. 

I remember one night thinking... 

“To this nightmare, is there an ending?” 

I feel like a cup of water and fear is thirsty, 

A lullaby and death is sleepy, 

An apple pie and loneliness is hungry, 

A caged little boy looking for loving arms to hold me. 

No bars, no chains but I’m still enslaved. 

My tormentor is long gone, 

Reaping an eternal harvest; 

His mortal shell rotting in a grave. 

And still I remember the aroma of his frustrated rage. 

In his death I can’t forget therefore I will never escape. 

After years of running my feet are in the same place, 

Crying retroactive tears for my children to wipe clear their slate. 

But everyday I’m reunited because he breathes the breath of my mistakes, 

In my doubt and insecurity he’s reincarnated. 

When I look in the mirror I see his face. 

© 2008 Marvin Lewis Jr.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I dont even know what to say
about this one. Its like, no matter what
I say about your poem, it wont reflect
how great it actually is.
"I feel like a cup of water and fear is thirsty,"
was the first line of a few that just made me say
WHOA!!! Lil homey has skills!!!
Again, this was an amazing write!

Beege

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I dont even know what to say
about this one. Its like, no matter what
I say about your poem, it wont reflect
how great it actually is.
"I feel like a cup of water and fear is thirsty,"
was the first line of a few that just made me say
WHOA!!! Lil homey has skills!!!
Again, this was an amazing write!

Beege

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Peoples g Riot directed me to this piece. It is the first time he has ever done that, because his style makes it difficult for others to impress him. I'm going to be really brief with this review. You have "mass" talent, Marvin, I mean the kind of talent you need to guard. Good luck, Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very good i like a lot....

Posted 15 Years Ago


"I feel like a cup of water and fear is thirsty,
A lullaby and death is sleepy,
An apple pie and loneliness is hungry,
A caged little boy looking for loving arms to hold me."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You know, people say that they are blown away by some of things that I write; but even I'd be hard-pressed to say that I can come up with this. I've been inspired before by talented writers on this site; but you, my young friend....make inspiration the peak of the tallest mountain, and not just a hill to shout from.

This is a favorite. Simple and plain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I feel like a cup of water and fear is thirsty,

A lullaby and death is sleepy,

An apple pie and loneliness is hungry,

A caged little boy looking for loving arms to hold me.

WOW!!!! those are some deep metaphors. I really loved this poem, one of the best I have come across in a minute. It's so intelligent, but seeping with emotion, and def made me think. I favotrited this piece. thanks for your talent.

Kena

No bars, no chains but I'm still enslaved.



Posted 15 Years Ago


see that is what im talking about this is real good. I feel this and if it was im thinking , i have lived this too.
i really like how u paint the words in this poem, like being in ur brain,see through ur eyes. This is real good man, really good. its all or nothing man , to the end of the cliff, but th elast line, that line kicked me in the chest.. awesome write awesome...

Posted 15 Years Ago


I am sometimes left in awe by the things I read in this forum.

And especially when an author is adept at painting me an exact picture simply by using the letters from his word palette, creating such an exotic array of life's slices that you can clearly see the whole picture set up like a pie chart...you taste the fear that lays on the skin like a thin layer of night sweats, you can see the blackness in the eyes that never totally meet yours, you can smell the alcohol on the soured breath of the unshaven face, and feel the sting from the swings that don't leave 'visible' scars.

Yeah, man, personal experience sucks. The trick is...step up and be the courageous one, change the future, build a better karma with your present, teach your children how to love. Break the cycle, made that mug so different, it becomes a square. That's the trick. Because every single day, you have two choices...same as he did. So, you just choose the other path. I choose happiness.

Great write. Way to capture your heart on a page.
Nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marvin, the transcendental experience you breathe onto me with your words hide me, but also clearly show me what is under the wing? How are you able to capture sunlight in a jar?
To live, experience, and be set free from an experience of slavery/entanglement/abuse is a generational journey. Every single line laced with each carefully chosen word echoes so painfully for me.
This is a detailed account of life after sickness and death (violence/abuse). Each experience we create by being a part of it in some way or other touches all that are involved directly, or indirectly.
However, underneath it I lament the tears of generations,
Pretending like the years of relentless pain did not faze me,
Closing chapters of depression with a:
"Maybe I deserved it."
Frightening moments of being awakened in the middle of the night keep replaying...
Again, I applaud you for your incredible talent!
...and especially for your voice of the victor in this piece.



Posted 15 Years Ago


"A caged little boy looking for loving arms to hold me".
"No bars, no chains but I'm still enslaved".

I had to push back from my chair on these lines. When a poet writes what he experiences it helps readers like myself understand someone some where is experiencing and feeling the same way. Thanks for the inspiration again. After reading your previously release poem I grab my sword and penned a couple of pieces that I will be posting soon. And I feel like writing again. Peace.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This is a heartbreaking, painful, brilliant write addressing physical and emotional abuse. I am beside myself after reading it. I too have been to this very hell and back.... and back ... and back. There is healing to this ... within. It has to come from within by realization that it isn't -- and never was -- the victim's fault. Abusers are sick individuals who prey on others to control and abuse in order to ease their own internal hatred. The healing process is a difficult and sometimes long road to travel, but there is a light at the end of it. And with that light comes freedom.

I truly hope, this is a third person write and not a reality of your own.


"After years of running my feet are in the same place,
Crying retroactive tears for my children to wipe clear their slate.
But everyday I'm reunited because he breathes the breath of my mistakes,
In my doubt and insecurity he's reincarnated.
When I look in the mirror I see his face..."


This speaks for itself. Wow. I'm speechless, and deeply saddened.
Excellent work. Truly.




Posted 15 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1117 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on October 21, 2008
Last Updated on October 22, 2008

Author

Marvin Lewis Jr.
Marvin Lewis Jr.

Trenton, NJ



About
I'm 19 y.o. and I write lyrics, prose, poetry, and treatments. I'm currently self-publishing my first book entitled "The Language Of My Imagination" which consist of poetry and prose that touch on suc.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..