Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Molly

 The way the story starts is when a forest elf gets taken from her home. She's not seen for many years and doesn't return until the end of the world. 
 She is the end, but she is also the beginning.
 She's seen, yet invisible.
 Her presence is felt, but she is nowhere in sight.
 She is an enigma.

~~~

 There was nothing but blackness. It was all I could remember until I actually opened my eyes. It was logical to assume that i had other memories before the darkness. It FELT like i had other memories, but there was none. I dont know how long i had realized that i was in darkness but i did know that i was getting out somehow. Someone would rescueme from the darkness and i would remember what i had forgotten.

 That didn't happen though.

 My eyes opened and i instantly shut them again. There was nothing but blinding light. I was so used to the darkness that i had forgotten that there even was light. I could hear sounds but it felt like i was underwater and everything was muffled. I tried opening my eyes again and found that i was in a tank. Lab equipment was everywhere and various tubes were hooked up to my tank. I was in water but i could breathe perfectly fine. Everything looked clean and pristine. White and untouched. Computers and other lab equipment lined the walls.

 Some kind of fight was going on. People in white lab coats were being restrained by other people who were dressed in black. The people being restrained were struggling. One had escaped but was quickly caught by the other party and knocked unconscious. One of the men in black clothes caught my eye and I saw him go pale. I didn't understand it at the time but that man was definitely afraid of me.

 I was fully awake and everything came rushing back to me. I was captured taken from the place I called home. Now other was no way back and I was stuck in a world that I had only watched from a distance. But right now, the only thought that filled my head, whispering in a weak, scared voice, 'Help me,'

 I just hoped to god that I would be saved.


© 2013 Molly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an excellent start! I was looking through the reviewers group and saw your stuff. Its just my cup of tea! Mysterious, imaginative and evocative! I cant wait to read more. This is the perfect kind of prologue! I did spot one grammatical error though:
"FELT like i had other memories, but there was none." Should be "but there were none".
But apart from that this is a well constructed and executed concept! Great Job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This does exactly what a prologue is supposed to, and grabs the reader, pulling them into this world you've created. The concept is different, and entertaining. Your prose is good, but not overly sophisticated, so I can see this going to a younger audience. The only thing I would say is that you need more detail. You give the thoughts of your protagonist, and what they see, but only the basics. With some more description, you can immerse your reader into the mind of your character, and that's the essence of great fantasy. Finally, and this is just a suggestion, try to make your prologue one big tone setter for the rest of the book. If the prologue is made of action, you should be able to expect the rest to be bullets and flash, and the same with other genres. I liked the premise, and with a few tweaks, the writing will be great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Definitely an exciting start to your book! In terms of advice, I would say remember that synonyms are your friends! In the first paragraph of the story proper, you repeat the words 'darkness' and 'memories' a few times. Same thing in the following paragraph with 'lab equipment'. I'd work in a few synonyms to vary it up a bit. Unless the repetition is intentional, to emphasise those words. If this is the case, then disregard that advice. :p
Other than that, this definitely grabbed my attention, and I will certainly be reading more when I get the time!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Please continue! This is really interesting!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013


Author

Molly
Molly

GA



About
Ah... I'm Molly. The weird, awkward hermit that doesn't like people... Yep. That's me... Alright, I'll be honest... I love Owl City (they are my heart and soul) along with the actual owls :3 Mus.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Molly