Dairy

Dairy

A Chapter by Quinn W

Most people think the dairy industry is kind and that they don't need to kill cows to get milk, so it's okay to drink and eat. That simply is not the case. Many cows are killed in the dairy industry and even after their milk has been used up, they will be sent to factories to be killed and made into a hamburger. The best things to both ethically and health-wise eliminate from your diet should be eggs and dairy. They are the cruelest and least healthy industries. 
Female cows are the only cows used in the dairy industry because they are the only cows that produce milk. The only problem with that is that they only produce milk while pregnant and nursing. That is the prime reason they produce milk, just like humans. Dairy cows are repeatedly tortured and raped. Though, the dairy industry would not dare say they rape their cows because that's just cruel. Instead, they refer to the impregnation of cows as 'artificial insemination.' This is done by putting the cow in a rack (sometimes referred to as a 'rape rack' by extremist vegans). The cows are restrained so they do not try to fight the person essentially raping them. The person will insert their arm into the cows rectum, position her uterus correctly, and then insert a metal instrument into her vagina. If someone were to do this to a human, we would call it rape, but it's just a cow so we call it 'artificial insemination' because cows don't matter at all apparently. 
Once the dairy cow gives birth, her child is taken from her immediately and they may never see each other again. Cows have been proven to care very deeply for their young and this causes extreme stress for both the baby and the mother. Now let's talk about veal and what that is. Veal is a meat known for its tenderness and flavor. Veal is the meat of a baby cow. As I mentioned earlier, the male cows are not needed by the dairy industry so the dairy and meat industries have created a partnership so they can both make money from the male calfs. The dairy industry will sell the male calfs to the meat industry and the meat industry will kill the babies and make them into veal. Veal is very tender and that is why it must come from calfs instead of full grown cows. But it isn't tender enough when you just kill a calf, you have to weaken it first. They are chained in a tiny crate so they cannot move very easily, this makes it so they do not develop muscles. They are also only fed with a liquid diet filled with chemicals to ward off diseases they will get from being in such a small place with their waste. 
Here's where I will talk about how it isn't natural for humans to consume cow, goat, or any other type of milk. Cows, just like humans and all other mammals, produce milk for THEIR babies and ONLY THEIR BABIES. We do not drink dog's milk, cat's milk, bat's milk, giraffe's milk, or anything like that right? Right, because that's disgusting. So, why do we not think it's disgusting to drink cow's or goat's milk? No other species drinks milk from other animals. IT'S NOT NATURAL. There is no other species on this planet that drink milk past infancy from an animal of a different species than their own. This is why so many people, including myself, are lactose-intolerant. It's actually normal to be lactose-intolerant because our bodies are not designed to drink milk past a certain age and certainly not from another species.The only reason some people are not lactose-intolerant is because throughout their gene history they've developed a mutation that allows them to drink milk without discomfort.
Wait, but what about calcium? Milk actually takes calcium from our bones. Milk has calcium, but not the right kind. Milk is put through bleaching, homogenizing, and pasteurizing to get rid of harmful bacteria. But, that also gets rid of phosphatase, which is essential for the absorption of calcium in dairy products. The calcium from dairy dairy is not absorbed and is then deposited into our arteries and joints, where it hardens and can cause osteoporosis.  When we drink milk from other species, our bodies become acidic and in order to balance the acidity, our body take calcium from our bones. This is why even though we (the United States) drink more milk than any other country, we have the highest level of osteoporosis and heart disease. Now, let's talk about breast cancer. The three biggest causes of breast cancer are animal protein, fat, and estrogen. All three are found in dairy products. 
There are no benefits to drinking milk. There is only cruelty and disease.


© 2017 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I notice that Eggs and Dairy lack any professional, peer reviewed citations or any substantial evidence of any sort; this is all hearsay and speculation.

Some of this is true (cows only produce milk when pregnant, nursing) but it isn't common knowledge. You need to teach the audience and let know them know how the process works through the eyes of a professional. Everything you write needs to be a certified fact and can be substantiated at any time in the future.

Concerning ethics, you're just trying to gross out and disgust people. You don't actually appeal to any ethic problems that come with factory farm production. Your appeal to pathos is very weak as many don't care about how their products are created and distributed. Some do and they understand what you're saying because they already know; you're preaching to the choir.
You have no appeal to logos here even though you lightly touch on the subject in your Questions section. This chapter (and Eggs) don't tell the audience about anything about production other than "I think and say it's wrong".

This isn't an attack on veganism, vegan ideals, or the vegan community, I just want to see a better approach to teaching about vegan qualities, truths about animal related industries, and a call to action on to change ethics and morals to the greater population.

To compare: a person yelling upon a soapbox in a busy area. Passerbys will dismiss the person as crazy and ignore his message regardless of its statement and intentions.
People on the Internet see this all the time, the crazy vegan who shames everyone else around them as animal killers and soulless. That's the perception I have as I read these sections. That may not be who you are and it definitely shouldn't be who the author is perceived as.

It's entirely possible to retain core elements of your message and call to action while being professional. It's highly important to do so in a professional manner while being respectful of your audience, your peers, and your critics. If you've read this far, just hold on a bit more.

Facts and Numbers: Provide certified evidence to the reader. Show them how factory farming (or even organic) can be harmful to the environment, people, or the food industry with numbers that accurately reflect negative impact. Continue to show positive impact with a vegan lifestyle not only with removal but with replacement and change.

Be respectful: "You're an animal killer" will definitely turn away most of your audience. Even those considering a vegan lifestyle change. Belittling the audience will cause them to ignore your message regardless of how well intentioned you are. Instead, provide an alternative; "You can live a better lifestyle as a vegan and impact the world in a positive way." Show progress and reinforce plusses, not shame and insult.

Explore ethos, pathos, and logos: Different people think in different way. In accordance with aforementioned points, showing people alternative to ethics and logic may change their attitude about the food industry. All the while, an appeal to pathos will be a core element of your writing in that being a vegan is simply a better lifestyle.

Answer your questions. You provide answers in the beginning, so now's a good time to answer those questions in depth. You can revisit them as frequently as you like so as long as you show audience what the ideal (according to the moral foundation laid out by you) answer is and how it can be achieved. Keep our interest by coming and going full circle.

I know it's a lot pump out, but it's a huge problem with most writings of this nature. Attacking meat eaters won't change their attitude and can potentially turn away possible future vegans.
Personally, I'm an omnivore and plan to be for the entirety of my life. I don't fully agree with the ideals laid out by veganism. But that doesn't mean I don't respect it.
I understand the overall message and intentions of this, uh, book I suppose, but the message isn't coming out the way you want it to.

This needs a complete overhaul. Got to start from square zero.

I've studied a bit of Food Philosophy in university and some argument/logic papers, even written a white paper before. I'd like to help if that's okay to make this something a bit more respectable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quinn W

7 Years Ago

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to read my writing and write such an informational re.. read more
ImaginationGone

7 Years Ago

Okay, that's cool. I get venting where you just unload everything. Hope you progress to your liking!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 15, 2017
Last Updated on April 15, 2017
Tags: veganism, health


Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W