Stuck With Two

Stuck With Two

A Chapter by Reshiru
"

Claire sees something taboo but spectacular while she's waiting for the train. What is a poor girl going to do?

"
The small shed of Tsubaki Station had always been lacking. Not the best place for waiting for the train and mostly not suitable to have a gander. The shelter had stale walls, and fractures scattered on the flooring. The temperature was below zero, and the closest scenery were barren plains covered of thick frost.

Claire Suzuki thought the same as she braved and waited inside the wooden shed. She shouldn’t be in there but at home where she can warm herself, but she came to meet a certain person.

This young girl comes from a small town in Yamagata prefecture. She is a frisky twelve-year-old and the clapper of their peaceful town. Her jauntiness intimidates many kids of the same age, but her being is what makes her so adorable.

Most town folks are unaware she possesses a remarkable trait. She will welcome and appreciate all matters of adolescence, all, except for one…romance. Towards romance, she’s a rosebud refusing to sprout.

Since she entered the worn chamber, cold and boredom were  her only companies. She withstood them by watching Mister plowman outside the shed. The man had been shoving the pile of snow from the pavement, but watching him was inadequate for her.

Claire’s soul was crying out for true amusement. She got nothing but wood creaks and winter rustles because she was alone there. She sorted to leaving her space so she could warm her hands by the furnace. It lessened her vigor but, at least, kept her preoccupied.

The train had been delayed for more than an hour. She could only guess why…it was because of the snowy weather.

It was always the dull-white weather that disrupted journeys. Frosted flakes would play nemesis on the start of the year, but she couldn’t entirely despise them. The white, relentless beauty had mesmerized her for as long as she could remember.
 
Weeks before her trip, she and her mom, Cleo Suzuki, had a big argument. A medical opportunity just came to Cleo--an esteemed institution offered to shoulder her specialization in America. She asked her daughter to live with her ex-husband while she studies abroad. Claire opposed, but it was a futile effort. She couldn’t win in the end.

It was one of the toughest things she had to suck in. She who will face the consequences was reluctant, but she couldn’t hinder her mom from pursuing personal goals. She agreed to move out…agreed with a bruised heart, though. 

Moving to Tokyo means, she wouldn’t be graduating from primary school with her schoolmates. It stung the kernel of her being since she grew up with the other kids and together gave birth to sweet memories. Worst, she broke the sad news on their Christmas party. Not just friends but her teachers rendered bittersweet goodbyes. 

That day, Claire performed exceedingly. She clothed her burdens with bravery and laughter. Her peers were oblivious she will star in a cruel soap opera, her teachers unaware not any relative would take her in but her estranged father, and she will have to dwell with a sibling by paper.

It is a world upside-down--to eat and sleep and breathe with the people she barely know. Better for her to survive at home but in a town who accepted her. The house, the school, and the fields represent a puzzle piece of her colorful life. Once she moves out, the puzzle will collapse, and she will have to build another. How to build another, she already forgot.

A good part of the pavement became walkable, kudos for Mister plowman’s initiative. It must be termed initiative for his isolated effort wouldn’t get paid. His real job is to supervise arrival and departure of trains, a licensed crew; only he was alone today.

Now, a cunning but older woman emerged from the main road and seduced him--a female cat with strong, teasing pheromones. Flustered by her beauty, Mister plowman came to patronize her. He tendered ears to her nonsense...laughing even when she wasn’t funny...nodding as if he understood every word she said.

The temptress leaned closer to Mister plowman and told him something that sounded forbidden. His face turned crimson, and a grimace formed out of his mouth. The rally of desire progressed for a time, and it was appalling to watch. Finally, the woman gestured to leave and flaunted her red hair before doing so. The man looked so gratified, and he tossed her a rich goodbye kiss. 

Claire felt like she would throw up. She swears to herself, even if someone bribes her, she will never commit such demeanor--seduce a man out of desperation. She will rather be an old maid than beg for a short-lived pleasure. 

From near the entryway, Mister plowman caught the girl’s prying stare. He approached her inside the shed to rebuke her, even though she didn’t do anything wrong.

“What are you glaring at?” He croaked at her. “You’re just a kid and already poking your little nose to other people’s business. Find something else to do and worthy of your age.”

The woody voice and brawny figure didn’t intimidate her one bit. Instead, she kept her undaunted, skinning glares at this furious man. Sourness and remorse soon flooded the man’s face, and he chickened out, running off to the mechanic room.

What freaked him out? Claire marveled, following the man with her eyes. She was planning to ask when the train will come, but it was obvious Mister plowman had something dark in mind. He suspected her she caught him red-handed, flirting a temptress despite being married, but actually, the girl was clueless.

Outside the shelter, the snow flurry had escalated to a storm. The winds hastened and effortlessly hammered the windows on one side of the wooden shed. Fortunate for Claire, she was resting at the safer side, but the tremor was forcing her to flinch, shudder on her seat and cuddle herself. There was no end to her freezing…even her strength to visit the furnace had dwindled.  

Two strangers invaded the shed, and the stone floor throbbing prompted Claire. She hurled a glance and saw a young man and woman taking shelter. A special familiarity was surrounding them, and a part of her was guessing if they’re what she refers to as a…couple. 

The pair nestled against each other at the opposite end of the shed. The little girl couldn’t apprehend what they were saying, but she kept them within her sight. The next thing she caught with her eyes melted her core.

EEK!

A piercing cry echoed. 

As if warm water ran over her at the sweet instant, and crimson escaped from her plump cheeks. Curiosity distracted her… Confusion disoriented her… She stalled to a sugared gaze with a question in mind. How could a simple gesture dispel her shivers?

For the first time, she witnessed something taboo yet spectacular. Why call taboo? Since it is sharing of lips she saw, that which existed for grownups, not for youngsters.

The couple sprung away after the shriek befell on them. They sought for the source, and both swelled red when they exchanged glimpses with her, the screamer, whose mouth dropped open. The couple thought they were alone inside the age-old shed, and making use of that privacy, they indulged themselves with a pleasurable kiss.

“You’ve said the shed will be empty on snow storms, and it won’t hurt us to…you know…to kiss, but look somebody found us, and on top of it, a kid!” the girlfriend grumbled. “Can’t believe my first kiss on the lips will be this humiliating…”

“I’m sorry I got carried away,” the boyfriend muttered. Regret was written all over his face.

“Did we scare her?” he asked. “But I thought children nowadays are exposed to this kind of thing?”

As far as he recalled, his eleven-year-old cousin dated a classmate before and triumphed a kiss. Maybe, the kid they encountered is a late bloomer in love?

Meanwhile, Claire picked up nothing but mumbles from the couple, but they seemed to be arguing. She chortled, for the lovers are resembling the Medallion comic's Danny and Daisy. It’s a fictional couple whose romantic moments are always meddled by the guy’s younger sister. But she asked herself this--If the couple simulates Danny and Daisy, won’t that make her the nosy sibling?
 
Guilt had smitten Claire, and she resorted first to sulking. She impeded a couple who mean no harm and granted them an uncalled-for reaction. Why on earth did she disrupt an honest-to-goodness kiss?

The blizzard decelerated, and the noises in and out of the shed expired. As soon as the couple’s conversation became distinct, Claire broke away from her Medallion thoughts and switched to eavesdropping. 

“I should be the one apologizing. It was me who came up with the crazy idea,” the girlfriend admitted, lowering her head. She realized it was foolish to ask for a kiss under a shack of uncertainty.

“Don’t say such things… don't even regret it for one bit. I don’t mind the place being primitive…or…us being seen. Our kiss will always remain as a matchless memory. I won’t trade it for a piece of convenience,” the lad pointed out, spreading his inspired lips. 

She returned the smile, thanking her hopeful lover, but it wouldn’t change the fact they caused other people discomfort. She moaned her concern, peeking at the little girl at the other side.

“Why don’t we return to my place? The train might not come until later,” he suggested at the spur of the moment.

She beckoned a no, reasoning it was better to spend her final minutes by his side, gazing and sharing endearments.

“All right,” he murmured and extended a hand to pinch her petite nose. “You know…even you’re still here…I’m already missing you.”

“You crazy,” she yelped but with delight, caressing her flushed nose. 

Claire felt a mix of emotions while eavesdropping. There was a hint of jealousy but shrouding it was something soft, warm and dazzling--the same sensation that bloomed within her after witnessing the kiss. She thought she would forget it in a breeze, but just now, it became more glaring.

Mister plowman had entered the shelter as though he is another person, far from the man who had dallied with a temptress, and relayed a superb news. “Everyone, the train is back and moving. Give it fifteen minutes before complete arrival.” He announced and headed back to resume daily work.

Claire let out a breath of relief, but the couple ought to rejoice in a more affectionate manner. She got a glimpse of their action and once more took her aback.

The lad curled his arms around his sweetheart, beaming his fondness and pressing his forehead over hers. The lady squeezed her eyes as she soared into rapture, and radiance shrouded them like a new dawn.

Claire turned away, her cheeks inflamed, and pondered. Is this what they call cuddling?

For grownups, cuddling means more intimate than embrace, but she had always perceived them as the same. Cuddle or embrace or hug, they all trigger her taboo alarm, so how come the couple’s embrace didn’t? It even made her heart flutter. Is it because of the four-letter word?

Out of the thousand words she encountered, this one threw her to disarray. It was powerful...bewitching the girls in her class and intimidating the boys. As ironic and wispy as a sweet stomachache; sore and shipwreck while in its absence. Love?

It may or may not be, but one thing is certain, something precious inspired the couple. Kindness glinted on the eyes… Sweetness savored by the lips... Not just anyone can pass on easily to somebody else.


The rumble of savage flanged wheels tremored the entire station. A telltale pair of headlights emerged from afar and a series of trumpet-like honks echoed throughout the frost-covered plains. A ferocious beast violated the railroad tracks and split the arctic air, and by the time its adrenaline vaporized, the rapid giant had screeched to a full stop.

The ruckus spared Claire from her lengthy musing. She leaped on her feet, peeped through the closest window, and found the monstrous source. It’s the train.

A ray of relief was at hand, no more tiresome waiting for the overdosed Claire. But she was half-hearted to take hold of it since behind it stood the cosmic change of her life. She hesitated, weak-kneed even, to confront this change by herself.

There were questions swimming in mind, and at the final minutes, she was hailing for answers. How will she greet her dad and ease the expected tension between them? Will he accept her, or be fond of her despite prolonged isolation? Yet she could only guess until she meets the dad in person.

Passengers alighted the moist railway cars--it was effortless and hassle-free. The handful of people had ample space to get off to, but paleness and dreary were masking their faces. The blizzard sucked out their souls during the trip, and at the moment, they couldn’t bother to live the New Year spirit. They marched with intangible burdens, aside from traveling bags, towards the lobby exit and vanished within minutes.

Claire unhinged. Where is her dad? He’s supposed to emerge from the individuals leaving, but no one is coming for her at the shed. Perhaps, the ray of relief expired too quickly. She whipped around and went back to her seat, imitating the sullen expression of commuters. 

It can be a favorable sign. If his dad won’t fetch her today, it will mean she’s free. She can go back to her real home and live there by herself, for all they care.

Meanwhile, among the pale-faced passengers, a man in mid-thirties and dressed in a fine coat strayed from the outflow and retraced his steps back to the platform. He surveyed the overall premises and turned left, heading for the waiting shed. Near the entryway, he stalled to breathe and muster a cup of courage. Once he enters the shelter, it will be his verdict.

The man is John Yamada, a single dad from the capital city. He sauntered the far north to fetch her daughter from Iide and take her to Tokyo. His daughter grew outside his nurture, and after ten broken years, he earned his chance to live with her. Retying the cut strings won’t be a breeze, though.

Another passenger, a boy in a dark jacket, fitted jeans, and high top sneakers, isolated himself from the mini bunch. He slipped back to the platform in pursuit of an older man who was heading for the waiting area. This sonny boy proved to be crafty and reckless, and he didn’t have a speck of reluctance in his eyes.

The boy is Carlos Fukuda, a twelve-year-old also from the capital city. He journeyed a dozen of miles to confront her older sister. The sister left for Yamagata to spend the snow-clad holidays with her boyfriend. His sibling’s year-end escape made him upset, but today, he wanted to sway her that it’s high time to go home.

John stepped inside the shed as Carlos waited. Not one of them has guessed two glorious reunions will take place inside the nameless shed.



Dad? Claire breathed, recognizing the man by the entryway. She sprang on her feet and paced across the vast concrete, her bosom fluttering in anticipation.

Claire, sweetie… John uttered and gestured a tender beam. He took a good gaze of his daughter as he was inching closer and reckoned she’s a splitting image of his ex-wife.

“I hope you didn’t stress out waiting. The snowstorm caused a few disruptions to our journey, and really, it was exhausting.”

“I waited for light years,” Claire chuckled. “I think the snow doesn’t favor me or you, Dad.” 

The dad chortled back, considering it was the case.

Claire noticed their meeting was unusually wondrous, just like the other unusual things that have happened--the brilliant kiss and the sweet cuddle.

Relating to John turned out painless contrary to her worries. Yes, their first greetings were timid, not to intimidate one another, but afterward, both father and daughter had expressed forward thoughts.

“Where’s your mom, sweetheart?” 

John brought up in a concerned tone, noticing Claire was by herself.

“She’s on her way to America…I supposed,” she replied, frowning at her dad.

Mom said she needed to fly early. She didn’t tell why, but she did say sorry for not being able to see me off. I can live with it...I’m used to it.”
 
“That’s her…a career woman.”

John simpered, and Claire marveled at his last statement.

“Is this thing yours?” He shifted the topic to his daughter’s luggage, probing at will. Claire, keeping pace with conversation, nodded as a response. 

“The train will leave at, er, 10 o’clock, and we still have fifteen minutes prior departure,” he said, picking up the luggage from the floor. “Do you want to use the bathroom or buy snacks for the journey?”

Claire motioned a soft decline.

“I’m comfortable, Dad, thanks. I’ve brought with me tuna sandwiches and green tea in my tumbler. Mom prepared them before she left home.”

John raised eyebrows.



MISTER YAMADA!

Somebody hollered out from behind them. Startled John and daughter hurled glances at where the cry came from to figure who it was. 

Claire had frozen. What she found isn’t a complete stranger but a vivid face.
  
“Good heavens, I can’t believe it’s you, Maine!” John exclaimed, acknowledging one of his good acquaintances.

Nearly two weeks had flitted since he saw the maiden, and he felt thrilled to see her again and approached her with open arms.

Maine reciprocated the friendly embrace.

“You look as though you’ve enjoyed Yamagata very much, haven’t you, Maine?”

“I’ve enjoyed so much because this town has loads to offer. I wasn’t wrong to come here on the holidays.”

She bragged with blushed cheeks, peeking at Gary beside her.

The boyfriend blushed as he scratched the back of his head. “I can’t let her down, sir,” he said.

John let out a short laugh before raising a query…if she is heading back to Tokyo today.

“Yeah, I should,” Maine answered bittersweetly.

She had begun to miss her brother’s stubbornness and the Tokyo weather, Yamagata is too much frosty for her, and she couldn’t skip school either. Shortly, she tossed her question at John. 

“What brings you here to this town, Mister Yamada? I’m not aware you know this part of the prefecture. You’ve always looked like a city fellow.”

John giggled then stalled, glancing over Claire who was standing behind him.

“My other daughter,” he remarked, “I came here to fetch her.”

Maine probed at his prospect and soon recognized it was the same girl who spotted her and Gary doing the mushy kinds of stuff.

“She’s your daughter?” she barked, face turned ashen.

John beckoned a yes  and then called for his daughter. “Claire, can you come over here?”

Claire hesitated to move but was left with no other option. Even she had a history with the couple, it would be disrespectful not to introduce herself and could leave a bad impression on her dad. She dismissed her doubts and focused on sweeping her feet.

“Ah, my lovely daughter!”

John proudly presented her to the couple and vice versa.

“Sweetheart, I want you to meet Maine Fukuda. She’s a special acquaintance of the family. Gary Mori here is her boyfriend. I heard he’s from around here.”

Gary and Maine channeled reluctant smiles towards Claire and reciprocated each other’s glances with one thing in mind. The girl who saw them share a kiss and let loose a shriek turned out to be, of all people and of all times, the daughter of Mister Yamada.

“From now on, Claire will live with us.” John pronounced.


Forced chuckles had escaped the couple’s mouths. It was hard for them to swallow the fact that Mister Yamada and Claire are related first blood, first, because their facial features are not alike, and, second, their tolerance for public display of affections are on different scales.

“Fancy to meet you…Maine…Gary.” Her head swayed back and forth in between words.

I’m Clarice Suzuki, but Claire is fine. I know I haven’t been fair in my reaction so…um…well never mind. Let me say sorry for being unfriendly a while ago.”

“You know each other?” John had taken notice.

NOPE! Maine yelped. 

“We thought we saw each other…but we didn’t bother to say a word. That’s probably what she meant by being unfriendly. Is that right, Gary?”

Gary’s sweat dropped, forcing himself another nod.

Oh? John gasped. 



A little fellow burst from the doorway and shouted an emphatic name.

GERMAINE FUKUDA!

Only selected few can call her by that name" Maine made sure of that. Even before she tossed the yeller her glare, she already had a hunch who the culprit is, and she was right.

Carl? She grunted, stunned by her younger brother’s face. What on earth is he doing in Yamagata? Her insides were growling in anger but becoming concerned.

“Well, it’s obvious. I came her to get you. You’ve been away for too long, Maine.”

The boy uttered a hissing tone.

“So that was it!” John blurted, recalling an odd memory.

He thought it was mere daydream when he saw Carlos boarding the train, but now, he figured out his eyes weren’t deceiving him back then.
 
Maine dashed in front of her younger sibling and clutched him, her fingers squeezing his two lean shoulders.

“Carl, why in god’s name did you come here by yourself? Don’t you recognize how dangerous that is? What if you end up somewhere…and…am not able to find you?” she rattled. “God, you’re driving me nuts!”

“Can you please stop being hysterical? I’m already at that age, Maine. I can handle myself better than you think.”

Carlos was being defensive. He already regarded himself as amply ready to take public transports without company and travel wherever, across cities and across regions. 

Plus, his actions were exemplary that day, contrary to what his sister was trying to criticize. He was ingenious to mimic John’s every step as he was going to Yamagata, and he was sensible to dispute his noble cause.

“Why do you always put the spotlight on me? Aren’t you the one at fault here? You ran away from home,” he complained.

“I did not run away, you know that. I’ve asked you to come with you, but you’ve ignored me. You said you don’t wanna be the third wheel, and you want to spend the holidays with Selene,” Maine explained. “It’s actually you who ran away. You went here without Mister Yamada knowing.”

“I’m free wherever I wanna go,” he exclaimed.

“I get that you’re brave, young man, but your sister’s right. What you’ve done is dangerous…and I’m hurt that you don’t consider me your guardian.” John admonished.

Carlos averted his gaze. He should just have told John, and the man would have taken him. 

Amid the turn of events, Claire had locked her stare at the arrogant fellow. He’s also twelve years old, but unlike her, he refuses to take advice from older people. His behavior couldn’t help but annoy her, yet, it kindled her interest.

Boys are a flavorful mystery to Claire"puzzling yet stimulating. She attempted to solve them the same way she did to a math problem but failed so. Though she has been below par at mathematics, dividing complex fractions is more doable than figuring the perplexity of boys. When she’s centimeters away from grasping their way of thinking, boys will shift to their unreasonable behaviors, and will leave her a migraine every time.

“Er, at least, our reunions had a blast.” John chuckled, relieving the animosity. “Let’s get this over with, shall we?”

Maine breathed out and tamed her temper. She apologized for her breakdown and then gave her brother one final word.

“Promise me, you won’t leave home again without my knowledge,” she begged with concerned eyes. “You do know how much you’re important to me, don’t you?”

“I’m fully aware.” Carlos murmured, remorseful.

Oh, Carl! She rewarded him with a keen hug.

The boy hadn’t been expressive of his thoughts, but his sister could decode the invisible message he was trying to convey--he misses her.

The amazing devout he had rendered Maine--this is commendable for Claire, but still, his arrogant diction and dire claim for maturity is despising her. 

Why can’t he be honest of his feelings? It would have been faster if he said it straight to her sister. Typical of boys…trying to act cool in front of girls.
   
“I just had a thought…have I introduced you to Carlos?” John looked at Claire, asking. 

Claire had a fleeting startle before shaking her head. “Not yet, Dad. Though I presume he’s Maine’s younger brother,” she replied.

Carlos heard her spoke and lunged a stare. He had been oblivious of her presence till she made that sharp comment.

Who is this girl?

He probed at her and saw a beige skin blanched by the winter ambiance. Her hair appeared as if browned by red heat. Her delicate eyes as if dyed with honey and olive oil. Everything on her face is desirable..well except for…her frown.

“Carlos, this my daughter Claire. Claire, this is Carlos.” John introduced briefly then glanced back at his daughter. “You’re right, sweetie, when you said he’s Maine’s younger brother…but there’s more to it than meets the eye.”

She furrowed her eyebrows and asked, “What do you mean, Dad?”
 
“Well, the Fukudas aren’t simply acquaintances of the family,” he grinned. “They’ve been my longtime boarders…so…we’re sharing the house with them.”
 
Claire and Carlos exchanged unhappy stares.





© 2016 Reshiru


Author's Note

Reshiru
My husband got me a laptop for my birthday—I’m so happy! Writing for me became more efficient.

By the way, this is an improved version of the novel. Please let me know your thoughts. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on November 26, 2015
Last Updated on January 7, 2016
Tags: teen romance


Author

Reshiru
Reshiru

Dasmarinas, Cavite, Philippines



About
An amateur artist who paints picture through moving words. My works would often use Japanese setting, which is funny because I'm not Japanese by blood, but I admire the culture very much. I mai.. more..

Writing
Love or Hate? Love or Hate?

A Story by Reshiru