down the rabbit hole

down the rabbit hole

A Chapter by rachelgeorgina
"

Prefaced with a small extracted from Sexton's "Letter's to Dr. Y" to highlight the nature of dying - of disappearing and of disconnecting from the world, this extract explores the ambivalence of change with some borrowed likenings to images from Carrol's

"

Oh there is no use in loving the dying
I have tried.
I have tried but you can't,
you just can't guard the dead.
You are the watchman and you
can't keep the gate shut.
- Anne Sexton, "Letter to Dr. Y"

I find myself, once again, craving my dream world - to be Alice, falling down the Rabbit Hole, never once stopping to consider how she might get out again. From here in the Real World, I find myself turning around & staring back Through the Looking Glass, longingly - lovingly? Sometimes I find it hard to remember why I lingered on so long there, but at other times, like today, it's harder & harder to remember why I ever decided to come back from that brink at all. I recall the lingering - the senselessness of remaining alive while gradually dying. Recollections of the dizzying hospital lights that hurt my eyes in their vivid intensity & the Cheshire Cat grinning at me from his place above my bed - or was that only inside my head? - are like an uncompromisable burden. You want to give it up, & yet, you cannot let go.

It strikes hard, violently, like a punch - in the middle of the night, with an erratic pulse & broken breaths: there is no use in loving the dying. The pull of Wonderland - with all it's spectacular colours & absurd ideals: the belief in the impossible & the nonsense of rhymes - is a cruel struggle. This, this is the ambivalence. It comes before the Formal Feeling but after the pause - the lapse in time when you consider the possibility of maybe... maybe, of giving it up. & it's a minute before you decide to try to catch your breath, because you aren't at all sure whether you want to or not. The Looking Glass World has a certain allure to it - something promising, something enticing. It's not the easiest thing, to turn around & say no, when Through the Looking Glass you see every promise fulfilled, every dream lived... It's hard to keep in mind that she is trying to kill you - that thing inside you - when she has such a soft, enticing voice, whispering the secrets with the answers you always wanted to hear. Somehow you have to find the strength to say no, to take your next breath & to continue living - living in the Real World, instead of on the other side of the Looking Glass in Wonderland, with shrinking potions & talking flowers where life is a game of chess & there is a strange freedom in having nothing left to lose.

There is an interesting & incredibly precarious balancing act - tipping the Looking Glass World against the Real World & trying to find a medium where I can climb out of bed in the morning with a reason to live & a way to coax my breakfast spoon into my mouth. It can be glass-half-full or glass-half-empty, there doesn't seem to be any sort of happy medium to this game. It's a constant measure of one force against the other, trying to maintain an equilibrium that allows me to live. Or at least, allows me to get up in the morning & still be alive by the time I can crawl into bed again at night - because the question still begs an answer: do you want to live? because you just can't guard the dead.



© 2008 rachelgeorgina


Author's Note

rachelgeorgina
Extract

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on September 7, 2008