IF EVER Chapter III

IF EVER Chapter III

A Chapter by Richard Adamson

CHAPTER III

     Life is a funny thing.  It can be good, even in bad times.  Each person has the ability to control their own destiny to a great extent.  Our decisions shape what is to come.  Circumstances sometimes change this, but we must remain loyal to ourselves and continue with hope for the future if we are to survive.

     The following morning came quickly.  The wind had not began to blow yet and the temperature was still tolerable.  It was a peaceful scene.  The band of highwaymen awoke early.  Frank and Tuck had gotten up first.  Lynne was awakened by the smell of fresh coffee.  Hands was awake but did not appear to be in very good shape.  Eveyone seemed to be a little depressed.

     Lynne started to tend to Hands'  wound.  She had used both of his shirt sleeves the night before.  This morning she tore the lining from her coat and attempted to use this for a bandage.  The silk like material was not very clean or absorbant.  She spoke to Frank.  "Hands is getting worse.  We don't even have a proper dressing for him.  We've got to get him to a doctor."

     "Let's have some coffee and then we'll hit the road.  Maybe around noon, after we've covered some miles, we can find a town with a doctor.  Tuck and I will round up some more suppplies, and maybe we can get something better to eat."  Frank continued, "That was a pretty rough day yesterday.  How did you sleep last night Lynne?"

     "I'm ok."  She replied.  "I don' know if Hands can stand bouncing around in the back of that truck anymore."

     After drinking some coffee she went down to the river to freshen up.  It was shallow and muddy.  Her hair was a mess.  She did not even have a comb.  Her expensive dress was dirty and torn.  Her spirits were as low as they had ever  been.  But yet, it was as if yesterday had not happened.

     They packed things up and left their campsite.  Today Lynne rode in the back with Hands and Tuck drove.  Frank had said that he needed some time to think, but he used the time to catch a nap.  Hands was drifting in and out of sleep.  Lynne was very concerned.

     It was a long morning of driving.  By noon the weather was very disagreeable.  The hot winds blew dirt across the praire as if they were a plague to scorn all of mankind.  Lynne had never felt this miserable in all of her life.  She was abandoned by everthing that made life good.  Everything that made it bad was with her.  She realized that lonliness and the lack of control of her own life was consuming her.  There was nothing that could be done about it.

     They stopped at a town somewhere in northwestern Iowa to fill the gas tank and inquire about a cafe and doctor.  They found both.  After delivering Hands to the local doctor's office they went for something to eat.  While the three were finishing a hot meal, the town's sheriff came in the cafe.

     The sheriff, a small outward man with a gun on his hip, greeted them and welcomed the strangers to his territory.  The moment was tense and they tried to keep the conversation as short a possible.  The sheriff sensed this.  He was insistant and asked, "What's your business in these parts?"

     Frank hesitatingly replied,  "Sales.  We're in sales."

     "What are you selling?"  The peace officer solicited.

     Tuck, without thinking answered, "Clothing."

     "By the looks of yo three that's hard to believe."

     Frank threw some money on the table and the three of them shuffled out the door.  The sheriff followed.  They kept moving towards the truck.  Just as Tuck grabbed the handle on the drivers door, the sheriff requested.  "Wait a minute.  Where are you going in such a hurry?  I've got a few more questions for you."  Everyone froze.  "Where did you get this pickup truck?"

     Frank heard the sheriff's holster snap pop.  He, without a word, swiftly pulled his pistol from his pocket and aimed it towards the threatening person.

     "You're the ones that robbed that bank, aren't you?  Where's your partner?"

     "Keep your hands away from the gun."  Frank said as he stuck his weapon in the sheriff's side.  He directed Lynne and Tuck to get in the truck and led his victim around the front of the vehicle to the passengers side.  They all three got in the front with Frank by the door holdng his gun out of the window pointing at the sheriff.  "Get going Tuck."

     Just as Tuck started the truck, thesheriff reached for his gun.  Before it cleared his holster Frank's fun fired with a single ringing shot.  The sheriff fell to the fround,  with a bullet hole in his chest.  They raced off.

     Lynne looked back at the motionless body on the ground.  She was horrified.  What had just happened?  The bank yesterday was bad news, but this was murder.  What and who had she became involved with?  She wanted out.  Screaming she demanded, "I'm getting out!"

     Frank responded, "You're in on this the same as all of us.  Now let's get Hands and get out of here."

     When they arrived at the doctor's office Frank ordered, "Stay with the truck Tuck.  Come on Lynne.  Let's get Hands in the office."

     She reluctantly accompained him into the small office,  where they found the doctor doing somepaper work.

     "Is he ready to go?  Frank asked the doctor.

     "Now wait just a minute!"  The doctor exclaimed.  "Your friend isn't going anywhere for a week or so."

     "He's going with us."  Frank calmly responded.  He pulled his gun out again.  This was a needless act but it was becoming a habit for him.  The doctor was then very accommodating.  He sat quietly as they proceeded.

     Lynne seemed to know what to do.  She entered the back room to find Hands asleep.  After attempting to wake him, she called to Frank.  "I need some help."

     He woke Hands with a slap to the face, and helped Lynne support the drowsy man.  On the way out of the office he left two dollars on he doctors desk.  They put Hands in the back again.  Lynne stayed with him.

     As Tuck was driving, Frank decided that they needed a new vehicle.  He directed Tuck to stop at the edge of town where they found a nice looking late model sedan.  They ignored the shouting owner's protest and took it.

     Frank was driving.  Tuck was in the front with him.  They visited as if nothing had happened.  Lynne was sickened by the way that they had little or no remorse for the scene at the restaurant.  Even though circumstances had control of her, she hoped that it was over.  She listened to them talk in the front seat as they drove.

     "This is a nice car, Frank."  Tuck commented.

     "Yeah, it's not too bad.  It's got alot of zip."

     "What are we gonna do now, Frank?  We need some fresh clothes and some more money."

     "We'll stop and get some different clothes after a while.  Don't worry about money we can find that anywhere."  Frank explained.

     Tuck went on.  "What do people do out here anyway?  I've never seen nothing like it.  It's depressing.  Let's turn around and head back to Chicago.  We can work things out with the boss.  It can't be any worse than this stinkhole country.  What do ya say Frank?"

     "We've been over that.  We cann't go back."

     "What in the hell are we gonna do?"

     "Were going to find a farmhouse to stay the night.  Tomorrow we'll figure something out."

     They drove for several hours and then Frank stopped at a clothing store in a town at the state border.  He went in alone.  He came back after a short while with two new shirts and a comb for Lynne.  Making apologies he said, "Hands is asleep.  I got some shirt for us,  Tuck.  Lynne, at least you can comb your hair.  We've got to conserve what money we have left."

     Lynne was disgusted.

     Just before dark, the group stopped once again, at a small farm place a ways off the road.  Frank pulled in and parked he car around the side of the house where it would not be seen from the road and stated, "I'm hungry.  Let's see if we can't get something to eat here."

     Frank went to the door.  A middleaged man in an undershirt answered.  They talked for a while, then Frank returned to the car.  "Come on.  We're gonna stay the night here."

     This time with Tuck's help, Lynne managed to get Hands into he house.  It was an old fashioned looking place.  The food on the cookstove smelled good.  Three young children with grime on their clothes but shiny clean faces sat around a square table.  The mother, a well worn woman, was busy at the stove.  The man said hello and invited the gang to sit down for supper.

     "What's wrong with yer friend?'  The farmer asked Lynne, as Hands stumbled over the door step.

     "He's been hurt.  I don't think he can eat.  Do you have someplace where he could lay down?"

     Tuck and Frank sat down at the table.  The man assisted Lynne in getting Hands to a small bedroom where they placed him on a bed.  When they returned, the rest were already beginning to fill their plates.  Lynne sat down between Frank and Tuck.  They paused while the host chanted a short blessing.  The children giggled their way through the verse.

     The man, named Charlie, was quite inquisitive.  He asked, "What are you folks doing out here? Yer a long ways from nowhere."

     While the others were involved with the meal, Tuck felt quite at home in this out-of-the-ordinary setting.  He simply replied, "Huntin'."

     "Huntin' what?"

     "Huntin' rabbits."  Tuck answered with a mouth full of potatoes and gravy.

     Charlie commented, "You don't liik like you're from around here."

     "Chicago.  We're from Chicago."  Tuck responded.

     "Well you're not dressed for rabbit huntin'.  They're no good this time of year ya know.  Lice, covered with 'em.  That is if ya can find any around here.  The varmits got most of 'em.  Dry ya know.  The drought takes everything.  What'd ya do shoot yer buddy?"

     Tuck, still conversing, explained.  "He shot himself.  Got so excited, he shot himself in the damn side."

     "Hey watch yer language around the kids.  Seems to me, it'd be mighty hard to shoot yerself in the side with a rifle."

     "He was using a pistol."  Tuck demonstrated, poking himself in the ribs with his left hand while a slice of bread entered his mouth.

     "I never did hear of anybody using a pistol for rabbits.  You city people do some damn queer things."

   "Not in front of the kids."  Tuck reminded.

    "What's yer names anyhow?"

     "This is Frank.  I'm Henry.  We're brothers and this here little lady is our dear old mother."

     Charlie just shook his head in bewilderment and disbelief.

     The men and children topped the meal off with a piece of plum pie.  Lynne help with te dishes.  Tuck thanked Charlie's wife for the wonderful meal.  Frank dozed off in a large chair.  They listened to Charlie tell of the woes of farming for awhile and then retired.  The children slept on the living room floor.  Tuck crawled in with Hands and Frank shared a bedroom with Lynne.  It was good to seep in a bed again, even if it was in a strange place.

     Lynne was glad that Frank was tired enough just to go to sleep.  She was afraid of him.  His blatant manner had become nauseating to her.  She fell asleep dreaming of Tommy again.  It had gotten to the point that this was all she had to keep her going.

     The next morning came without incident.  Charlie's wife had a bath ready for Lynne when she woke.  Her dress had been washed out.  It felt food to be clean again.  She ate some breakfast after the others had finished.  Hands had slept well and had even ate a little.  Somehow she felt that, with this new day, everything was going to be better, or at the least different.

     Relaxing on the front porch,  Lynne heard a giggle at the end of the house.  She went to investigate.  She found two of the young children hiding from her.  "What are your names?"  She kindly asked.

     They were extremely shy.  The older one, blushing, answered.  "I'm June.  This is my little sister Myrna."

     "How old are you?"

     "Seven."  June answered proudly."

     Both of the young girls looked poverish with their bare feet and plain dresses.  They were very slender.  In reality their parents had provided a good life for them, considering the times.  June had long blond hair and blue eyes.  Myrna's hair was a shade darker but her eyes were just as blue.  Lynne was enchanted by the innocence of the pair.

     "My name is Lynne.  How old are you Myrna?"

     "I'm fowa."  Mryna meekly said holding up four fingers.

     "Gee, your nice looking little girls."  Lynne complimented.  "What are you two doing this morning?"

    "We was just watchin' you.  June thinks yowa weal pwetty."  Myrna announced.

     "I've never seen such a pretty dress before."  June remarked.  "How much did it cost?"

     "Well it cost plenty.  But now it's not as pretty as it was when it was new.  Why don't you two come up on the porch and sit with me?"

     They agreed, and before long they were both on Lynne's lap as friendly and talkative as could be.  Myrna gazed into Lynne's eyes while June ran her fingers through Lynne's hair.  It was revitalizing to spend time with young children such as these.  Everything else was forgotten while Lynne enjoyed the moment.

     In a short time their mother came out of the house and requested that the two children do their chores.  They asked Lynne to help and she thought it would be fun.

     Lynne was not a farm girl.  She knew very little about chickens.  The girls had her picking eggs with them.  Myrna fell off the pail that she stood on to reach the eggs.  Some of the eggs in her basket broke and all the chickens hit the roof.  There were feathers in the air everywhere.  It looked like a January blizzard inside the tiny hen house.  Lynne came out of the door coughing with white feathers all over in her hair.  June was laughing as hard as she could.  Lynne started to also when she saw Myrna's dress covered with egg yolk. They all laughed until they could not laugh anymore.

     Tuck was having an equally interesting morning.  He was helping Charlie and his ten year old son fix a barnyard fence.  Trying to fluster the old mn was real motive.  He found out that can work both ways.  He not only had not been raised on a farm, but he had never seen one, or for that matte, ever engaged in manual labor.  He knew nothing of what toexpect from these irregular natives.

     First, not looking down until it was too late he stepped in a fresh cow pie.  Cursing the animal that was reponsible, he wiped his foot on his pants leg.  Next he tried brushing it off with his hands.  Finally he gave up.

     Charlie simply instructed, "Ya gotta watch where yo step around here."

     A short time pssed before Charlie commented, "See this lnd outhere?"  Pointing out at the horizon.  "It's some good land.  Old ma nature ju won't help us out with some rain.  Most of it belongs to me."  He added, "And the bank."

     Tuck replied, "I've noticed the banks seem to have all the money.  It just ain't fair.  You know Charlie, you and me are alot alike.  We've both worked hard all our lives and don't have a damn thing to show for it.  The banks got it all."

     Stuffing a wad of tobacco in his mouth, Charlie offered, "Want a chaw?

     "Yeah, give me a hunk of it."  Imitating the farmer, Tuck stuck a generous portion in his mouth.  He had never chewed tobacco before.  It was not two minute before he spit it back out.  "It's gettin' kinda hot out isn't it?"  He remarked as beads of sweat formed on his brows.

     Charlie looked up fro his work.  "Ya best sit down.  You're turnin' green."

     "I need a drink of water."  Tuck started towards the barn with one weaving step and fell flat on his back. 

     "Help the man up boy."  Charlie told his son.

     The boy lifted Tuck's headup just as Tuck regained consciousness.  Pushing the boy off he said.  "Give me a little air."

     Tuck sat on the ground for awhile, then he announced that he was going back to the house.  That was all the experience he had with the good life on the farm.

     At noon the whole group converged in the house for dinner.  The entire table was filled with food.  Lynne had to sit between the two young girls.  Frank ate heartily, after spending a relaxing moring by himself.  Tuck did not have much of an appetite and was quiet throughout the meal.

     After they had finished, Lynne asked Frank to go for a walk.  They left the others in the house.  Walking along the road, Frank complimented her on how nice she looked.

     They walked for a short while and Lynne asked, "What are we going to do now Frank?"

     "We're safe here for now.  I think we'll stay another night.  Hands can use the rest."

     "No, I mean what have you got planned when we leave here?"

     "I think we'll go to Denver or maybe the west coast.  I don't know.  We need to get our hands on some money to make a stake.  I don't think these people have any money.  That bank job was a disaster.  I'll figure something out."

     Lynne talked slowly.  "Frank, I've been thinking.  I want to stay here.  I like it here."

     "Don't be stupid.  You're going with me."

     "No Frank.  I'm going to stay."  She calmly stated.

     "Like hell you are!  You're my woman and you're going to do what I say.  I don't understand what's gotten into you.  You're a spoiled brat."

     The stopped and faced each other.  Lynne was very upset.  Frank was angry that she did not want to be with him.  His anger built up inside until he could not control it.  He slapped her face.

     "I make the rules b***h!  You do what I say!"

     Holding her face with tears rolling down her cheeks she said.  "I can't take it any longer.  It's over Frank."

     He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her.  "You're not leaving me!"  He slapped her harder.

     "Damn it Frank!  You can beat me to death, but I am not going with you.!"

     She sat down on the edge of the road covering her face and crying.  Frank stood watching her for a few minutes and calmed down.  He was smart enough to realize that this treatment towards her would not work.  He sat down beside her and placed his arm around her.  She moved away from him with a quick jerk.  This angered him again.

     "I'll take you to Candor.  You can see your precious Tommy again.  You don't need to think that I haven't known all along that you still love the b*****d."

 

 

    

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 



© 2010 Richard Adamson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on October 15, 2010
Last Updated on October 22, 2010