IF EVER Chapter VI (unfinished)

IF EVER Chapter VI (unfinished)

A Chapter by Richard Adamson

CHAPTER VI

     How is it that the memories of a single day become less important as time goes on?  We have all had rememberable experiences that at the time each small detail seems to be etched in our consciousness forever.  With time these memories fade to a point that the details, if not the entire events are lost forever.

     The day lingered on slowly for Lynne.  She was secretly excited that she was going to return to her home town.  Then, maybe she could rid herself of Frank and the life she had come to hate with a passion.

     Charlie and his son had gone into town that afternoon for supplies.  They returned in time to do their chores before Charlies' wife had supper ready for them.

     After the meal Lynne played with the little girls until it was their bedtime.  She then sat alone on the front porch until everyone had retired for the evening.  She wanted to give Frank enough time to get to sleep before she joined him.  She quietly entered the bedroom where Frank was sleeping and could not bring herself to lay down with him.  She instead left the room and slept with the small girls on the livingroom floor.

     Lynne was awakened early the next morning by the girls.  They were just sitting besides her looking at her with fascination.  Her neck was stiff.  She did not know if it was from sleeping on the floor or from being slapped around by Frank the previous day.  After washing up, she helped Charlie's wife set the table for breakfast.

     Mrs. Charlie had hardly spoken a word since her guests had arrived, but this morning she commented, "That's a nasty bruise you got on your cheek."  As if she knew what had hppened she asked, "Anything I can do to help?"

     Lynne refused.  "It's allright.  There's nothing you can do.  Thank you just the same."

     "Are you sure sweetheart?  I know how it can be."

     Her caring attitude brought a tear to Lynne's eyes.  She said nothing, but the older woman could see her emotion.

     "Why don't you just stay here with us dear.  Those fellows you're with aren't fittin' for a young girl like yourself.  It'll only get worse for you."

     Lynne explained.  "They're going to take me home."

     "Well good.  If you ever need help come back here.  You're always welcome."

     The men and children were called to breakfast.  Hands joined them this morning at the table.  Even though he looked quite weak,  it was good to see him up and about.  While they all filled their plates, Tuck inquired, "When we gonna leave this place Frank?"

     "Had enough of the good old farm life, have ya?"  Frank teased.

     "I've never seen such a borng place in my whole life."  Tuck stated,  embarrassed by the fact that he was not cut out for such a demanding occupation.

     Charlie spoke, addressing his wife.  "I talked ta the deputy in town yesterday.  He was a tellin' me they been lookin' for three men and a pretty young woman.  Bank robbers, I guess.  They think the bunch was the same that shot a sheriff about a hundred miles east a here day before last.  They're thinkin' he might die."

     Frank choked on a bite of egg.  He knew what was comning next.  Charlie was a common man, but he was no dummy.

     "One of them there bank robbers was wounded."  Charlie calmly stated looking at his plate,  "I think you folks ought ta git yer things and clear outa here as soon as ya can."

     Frank had never trusted anyone, but he did not feel threatened at the immediate moment.  Trying to cover up he inquisitively asked, "They don't suspect us, do they?  Fine people like us wouldn't be involved in something like that.  Did you tell them that we were staying out here?"

     "I mentioned it."  Charlie answered.

     "You old fool!  I guess now we will have to move on."  Frank took one last bite and ordered, "Let's get going."

     The four quickly gathered up their few belongings.  Tuck was the first ouside.  At that moment two sheriff's cars slowly turned into the drive.  Tuck hollered back into the house, "Git a move on!  The cops are here!"

     Hands was slow getting out of the house.  By the time they were all in the car the peace officers had seen them.  Tuck had the engine running.  One of the patrol cars drove up directly in front and the other to the side of the still motionless get-away sedan.  There were two men in each patrol vehicle.

     A county sheriff stepped out of the first vehicle and approached Tuck's window.  "Where you folks going in such a hurry?"  We heard Charlie had some visitors out here.  Thought we'd stop by and get aquainted."

     Frank knew they had trouble.  He reached in his jacket for the pistol.  No one had noticed a deputy that circled around the back of the car.  Just as he pulled the gun out he felt something hard poke him in the back of the head and simultaneosly heard, "Don't get excited fella.  Drop your gun."  Frank dropped his pistol on the seat.

     The sheriff slowly removed his own gun from its holster.  and said, "I think maybe you should answer a few questions for me before you leave."

     The deputy with the gun to Frank's head demanded, "Out of the car!"

     Frank got out of the car.  The others hesitated as if they were not involved.  The two remaining deputies got out of their respective vehicles.  The sheriff's gun was in his right hand resting on his left arm pointing to the front of the car.

     "Let's go!"  The sheriff ordered.

     "OK!"  Tuck shouted as he slammed the car into reverse and floorboarded it.  He backed it full throttle around the backside of the house and shifted it to a forward gear with out letting off of the accelerator.  They headed north across what appeared to be a corn field.  A couple of shots were fired, but they were soon out of range in a cloud of dust.

     Frank took advantage of the opportunity to go after the duputy's gun  Two of the other police officers came to their partners rescue when they saw what was going on.  They managed to contain Frank.  Even though Frank's motive for action was self centered, it aided in the escape of the auomobile and it took a short while before one of the patrol cars was able to engage in the pursuit.  One vehicle did follow the three gang members.  The other hauled Frank back to the local jail.

     Tuck drove a full mile across fields until he came to a fence.  He drove through it without slowing down and headed west on a small side road.

     Hands spoke.  "We gotta go back and get Frank."

     Tuck said, "We cann't stupid.  We gotta keep going."

     "Frank's gonna kill us."  Hands added.

     "Better him than those cops back there."

     Lynne was quite calm.  She had seen enough in the last few days, that nothing would surprise her.  She did not care about Frank either.

     They drove hard for about an hour.  The car they were driving had plenty of speed and no one was in sight behind them.  Tuck slowed to a stop on the edge of the road.

     "I say we head back to Chicago."  Tuck announced.  He was proud to be in charge.

     Hands protested.  "We gotta get Frank!"

     "We don't even know for sure where he's at, ya big dummy.  And, how we gonna get him outeven if we did?"

     Hands was insistant.  "I"m not going anywhere without Frank.  He always takes care of us."

     Tuck asked Lynne's opinion.  "How about you?  What do ya think we oughtta do?"

     She hesitated for a monent and then informed them, "Frank said he was going to take me to my old hometown.  It can't be very far from here."

     "Well that's just great!"  Tuck exclaimed.  "I want ta head back ta the city.  We got a damn b***h who wants ta keep goin' and a dumb ox who wants ta stay where we're at.  What the hell am I supposed ta do?"

     "Let's flip a coin."  Tuck suggested.

     Hands knew better.  "Not a chance.  You got that two headed coin.  Let's arm wrestle."

     "With your arms, that's more of a con than my lucky coin."  Tuck stated.

     Lynne proclaimed, "I'm not going anywhere with you two guys."  She got out of the car.

     Tuck jumped out of the car after her and pleaded.  "Come on Lynne.  You're Frank's woman.  We'll get him and he can decide what we're gonna do."  He could feel his authority slipping away.

     There was no way that Lynne would go anywhere with these two.  She was not afraid of them.  Her life as she had known in the last two years was over.  She possessed only one slight glimmer of hope.  That was to continue on to Candor.

     "You guys do what you want.  I'm walking."

     Tuck grabbed her by the arm.  She pulled away tearing the right sleeve completely off of her dress.  She walked down the road without looking back.  Tuck stood holding the empty sleeve.

     Tuck was froze in his tracks watching Lynne walk away from them.  He suddenly turned and kicked the car door.  He got back into the auto and said, "Let's go get Frank.  He's gonna kill us when he finds out we let her go."  He turned the car around and they took off.

 

    



© 2010 Richard Adamson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on October 22, 2010
Last Updated on October 23, 2010