Land of the Free: 4 of America's Biggest Ethnic Neighborhoods

Land of the Free: 4 of America's Biggest Ethnic Neighborhoods

A Story by Updates

People from all over the world immigrate to the United States because of freedom. The influx from so many other countries has given rise to the United States being called, "The Melting Pot." In many cases, as people immigrate to the U.S., they group themselves ethnically. These groups are referred to as ethnic enclaves and have become some of American's most interesting places to visit and best places to live.  

1. Chicago's Polish Neighborhoods

In 1851, Chicago's Polish Downtown became the most prominent Polish settlement in Chicago and developed into the cultural, social, and political capital for Poles throughout North America. It grew rapidly following the Civil War through the rest of the 19th Century.

Today, many of the neighborhoods have become much more cosmopolitan with a mix of people from various backgrounds. Polish Downtown is no longer the center of Chicago's Polish Community.

With 1.5 million with Polish ancestry, Polish Americans are the largest European American ethnic group in the Chicago metropolitan area. It's influence has resulted in the Polish Museum of America, the Polish national Alliance, the Polish American Association, and the Polish Highlanders Alliance of North America.

2. New York City's Italian Neighborhoods

Richmond County in New York is 37.7 percent Italian, making it the most Italian county in the United States. Italian Americans are actually 8.3 percent of the entire population in New York City, the city's largest European ethnic group.

Little Italy in Manhattan once had more than 40,000 Italians residents. Chinatown has now taken over most of the area except for a few blocks on Mulberry Street between Grand and Kenmare streets.

Today there are Italian American neighborhoods in East Harlem, the Bronx, Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach and South Brooklyn), Queens (Ozone Park, Howard Beach and Middle Village), and Staten Island, with more than 200,000 residents with Italian heritage. 

3. Los Angeles' Japanese Neighborhoods

There's an ethnically Japanese American district in downtown Los Angeles referred to as Little Tokyo. It's the largest Japanese population in North America. Little Tokyo, also called, Lil' Tokyo and J-Town, was founded at the start of the 20th century. In 1995, it became a National Historic Landmark District.

The Japanese American National Museum and The Geffen Contemporary are found in Little Tokyo. One of the country's first Asian American theater companies, the East West Players, perform in the David Henry Hwang Theater, also in Little Tokyo.

4. Miami's Cuban Neighborhoods

Little Havana, a bright and colorful enclave, known as La Pequena Havana to locals, is a proud outgrowth from Cuba. Little Havana is populated by 50,000 Cuban-Americans. This neighborhood makes up Miami's highest population due to the great number of apartments.

Named after the capital city of Cuba, Little Havana has become the center of cultural, social, and political activity in Miami. Millions of people from around the world view the televised festivals from Little Havana, such as the CalleOcho Festival and the Three Kings Parade.

There are many more ethnic enclaves throughout the United States. All of them have added a unique texture and interesting complexity to the melting pot that is the U.S

© 2014 Updates


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on July 17, 2014
Last Updated on July 17, 2014