Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Miren Kaisen
"

Aris is given a new challenge, involving his very dark past

"

By the time I woke up the next morning the sun shined into my room through open windows. Reno was staring into the direction of the monument I found the other day. “What do you think?” she asked. I sat up and watched her for a little bit, she directed her attention to the sky and held her hands together as if she were praying.

“What are you doing?” my voice was scratchy with exhaustion. I had dreamt of the time I met Reno and when Tamillia fell from the sky.

“I was asking for some advice” she turned to me, her face flushed with embarrassment.

“Whose advice” I gave her a suspicious glance, then grabbed for my boots while I crawled out of the bed. She turned away and continued to look out the balcony.

“I was…” she shuddered; I got up and walked over to her.

“I get it” I pulled her away from the door and opened it. I walked out and began to climb upward. I wanted a better view of the kingdom. “Come with” she followed me as I climbed from brick to brick up the castle. I reached the top and pulled myself up, facing the kingdom. It wasn’t much different from the view I had from my room.

“How are we going to find the treasure?” she pouted, I put my hand on her shoulder.

“We need those maps, according to the letter the maps are placed all around the castle”

“A gate to Haven” I took my hand off her shoulder, sighing to myself.

“Let’s find the other maps, we only have 2 after all” I pushed away from her and climbed back down to my balcony.

“What were you doing on the roof?” Zane was starring me down, at the frame of the door. His sudden voice made me jump, which he laughed at.

“I was just looking up at the kingdom” I replied, he nodded and handed me a piece of paper. “What’s this?”

“It’s a summons from the queen, don’t be late” he warned, and with that he stormed out of the room. Reno lend on me to see what it said. All it said was SUMMONS and a time on it. I rolled my eyes and casted it to the unlit fire place.

“What are we going to do?” Reno asked curiously, I lay down on the bed and began to think.

“Find the maps” I replied. She laughed a bit and jumped onto the bed, we were back to back.

“Where would they be?” Reno tapped on the bed frame; it made a light sound that echoed around in the room. I got up quickly and looked around. “What’s wrong?”

“Maybe the maps are all hidden in secret rooms, wouldn’t it be obvious to check the rooms?” she sat up on the bed watching my movements. I found myself checking the fire place. “It’s a thief’s room, the perfect place to stash stuff. We found the other 2 in that secret room” I reminded her, she nodded. We began to look around, finding nothing.

“What about the queen’s room? Maybe there is a secret room in hers” Reno suggested, I sat back and thought over the possibility. I shook my head at the mere thought of that. We continued to search around the room; I was looking for faded areas or any indication of a hidden door. Eventually, we had been looking around the room so long I completely forgot about my summons with the queen.

I began running out of the room, rushing in the halls. I received many insults by the other court members. Reno had difficulties keeping up with me. Finally, I made it to the courts and opened the door. My brothers, sister and father were all talking to Ari, our queen. I walked in and sat furthest away from them, soon after Reno walked through and sat next to me panting in exhaustion.

“Your late” Ari was crossing her arms and clearly angry, the expression was also on my siblings and fathers face. I sat back in disappointment of myself. “Well then, shall we begin?” she placed a piece of paper on the table and everyone passed it around, skipping over me.

“We are deciding your punishment for your crimes against the courts” my father turned to me, motioning me to walk closer to them. It was only us in the room, which didn’t make much sense to me. Reno fallowed closely behind, clenching onto my shirt.

“Really?” my voice expressed surprise, only I was far from being surprised. Ari hadn’t look at me the entire walk, nor did my sister. Both of my brothers were ready to draw swords, this gave me an unsteady feeling. They pulled the piece of paper out of my range of view, I wondered if I was going to be hanged.

“We’ve decided to give you a test” Ari continued “If you can steal the treasure in Bonto for us we will drop the charges you have made against our country” I laughed at this, it was a bit ironic.

“What’s funny?” Zane angrily asked; I turned around, balancing on the chair he sat on while I held my stomach.

“The whole idea is funny!” I finally had gotten control of myself, the other court members walked in very curiously at my sudden burst of laughter. “Bonto is the most heavily guarded treasury on this planet” they gave confused looks; clearly they hadn’t heard the rumors.

“I thought you said you could steal anything” Zane teased, I laughed again.

“I was really laughing at the thought of it. If I steal something I get freedom, this is a promise by the courts” they took a second to think it over, then they nodded.

“We will drop your crimes of this country. If you can prove your loyalty we will drop them” Ari continued. I sat down in the chair next to Zane, putting my index finger to center of my brows and frowned. People in Bonto had it out for my blood; it would be the worst place for me to go.

“Is that the only way?” I asked.

“Yes, if you steal it and run, I will send the guards after you” Ari crossed her legs with the satisfaction. I remember her telling me this once, back in the woods, and it was hell getting the guards off my tail.

“Bonto is the most heavily guarded place because of a specific treasure” I explained “I can steal it, I’ve stolen from Bonto before, but the king there…” I trailed off; my history with the king was dreadful. He hated me the most out of all the thieves he has met and I’m not just saying that he told me himself.

“What about the king?” Ari questioned. I shook my head and stood up.

“I’d like to have a nice reunion with his highness” I began to walk out of the courts.

“Where are you going?” they demanded.

“To get this country a treasure” I replied and walked out. I began to shake; the king of Bonto terrified me, almost as much as Ari.

“Are you sure it’s a good idea?” Reno asked, clearly remembering why I was terrified to see the king.

“I’m sure he doesn’t even remember me” I shook and trembled as I made my way outside, the courts had a horse already ready for me. Ari and my brothers were close behind.

“And don’t come back without it” she warned. This was a suicide mission; no matter how you looked at it I was going to die.

I got up on the horse, wobbling and almost falling off. “Is our thief scared?” the old man teased, I glared at him. Soon we were off, I could see the kingdom from up on the horse. I sighed; the sun was just barely visible. We would be riding at night, which gave me some reassurance. Bonto would be a few days on horse, and I shook as we got closer. I knew my death was inevitable right when I crossed through the gates of Bonto.

“Are you going to be ok?” Reno gave me worried eyes, which only shook me up more. I continued to ride, my hands shaking. I nodded to her and we continued to move forward. The sun was set and the sky filled with night.

Within a few days, Bonto was right in my line of vision. I’d be seeing the king again, the one that wanted me dead. We rode into Bonto and I tied the horse up, walking to the castle and inviting myself in. I opened the doors to the courts, facing the king. His eyes widen with shook, he stood and walked forward to me. His smile gave me chills, with every step I felt like turning back. And within that instant, he wrapped his arms around me and let go again. He forced a smile onto his face, and welcomed me.

“Aris” he simply said, his eyes on me.

“Your highness” my voice trembled.

“What brings a betraying friend like you all the way here?” his voice was cold, had he forgiven me? Not likely.

“May I have a room for the night? I’m traveling” he thought it over, than led me to the dungeon where he locked me up.

“Fitting for a thief” he sat with me for a while, on the outside of the cell, his eyes glaring at me. “What are you going to steal next?”

I laid down facing the ceiling and sighed. I first thought over the answer real hard, I went with honesty. “I am here to steal from your treasury” he banged on the bars, drew a sword and opened the locked door. He pinned me down and began to run the sword straight threw my side. I gasped for breath, he watched.

“Glad to see your truthful, now you’re going to die” those were the last words before I fell into a dark sleep. I felt nothing, I heard nothing, I was nothing. Everything slowed down and stopped. I was dead, wasn’t I?



© 2014 Miren Kaisen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on June 8, 2014
Last Updated on June 8, 2014
Tags: Thief, magic, fantasy, medieval, mystery