Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by eunicejx
"

Fear gnaws at you, sinking its evil clutches deep, as deep as it may go.

"

Chapter 3


Furiously blinking away my tears, I glance at Lia's face. My heart sinks. Fear is written clearly on her face. I squeeze her hand, catching her eyes. Understanding dawns in her eyes as she nods subtlety, wiping her face clear of emotion in a flash. My heart swells in pride. I had trained her well.


"That's my girl," I whisper under my breath. The ghost of a smile flickers across her dainty features before vanishing quickly.


We weave through the uniformed neighborhood, those identical white-washed houses, cobbled streets, shops and landscaping, meaning the exact positions of every tree and bush are all planned out, unnatural.


Soon, we are milling along with the crowd. Everyone are in their best clothes, most probably newly taken from the clothes dealer downtown. I almost laughed out loud at the irony. Fancy the only thing that's not identical around here is clothes. I guess fashion doesn't hurt anyone, anyway, anywhere.


Loud, sharp clicks sounds from my stilettos on cobbled street. That's right. Stilettos. Four inches of skinny heels, baby blue, held in place by the straps around my ankles. Simple, elegant, but unimaginably torturing. Who knew such pretty fashion items could become torture devices? I take back what I said earlier. Fashion can hurt. My feet. How I wish I can wear Lia's soft pink ballet flats.


Dressing up decently is a vital rule when attending the draws, especially if we are to be evaluated. This explains the number of full-on gowns and tuxedos just in this one street.


Walking a good five minutes, we finally reach the town square. The second horn sounds. I fight the urge to black out, forcing myself to keep walking towards the registration circle, placing one foot in front of the other shakily until the horn stops. I heave a sigh of relief on my small victory.


The registration circle is basically a transparent circular glass wall. I step up, Lia along with me, and stand close to its surface.


"Emma Riverstone," I say in a toneless voice, Lia doing the same beside me on her side of the wall. Images flickers on the surface, a quick full-body scan and a flash of my information. A bright click sounds.


"Thank you, please proceed," a pleasant voice floats from the hidden speakers within the wall. The very same tone, repeated over and over again all around Poder. Glancing at Lia and seeing that she's done, I lead her around the circle and into the roped-off section leading into the Big House. Its tall white columns looms over us, casting a shadow right where the roped-off area is. How...fitting. The doom and gloom over the doomed and gloomy.


Entering the roped-off area, I feel Lia's hand trembling in mine. I tighten my grip as we stroll at a snail pace with the others. I look around on either side of the red tassel ropes. The sea of crowd shifts every so often, unsettled and fearful of the day's events. Can't blame them.


Finally, we enter the Big House. I watch as the last couple of teenagers stride in. The doors slam shut with a resounding clang that echoes throughout the relatively empty hallway. Such finality. I shudder, drawing Lia closer to me.


We file into two thin lines, boys and girls. Slowly, I watch as the front line trickle into the evaluation room. I force my heart to resume its normal beat. I have to be strong for Lia.


"Congratulations! We've our very first Academier!" A female voice trills in an upbeat tone through the loudspeaker. I cringe, drawing Lia closer. The others around me also tense up. Lia buries her face in my dress as I stroke her hair, trying to calm my own racing heart. Who is it this time around?


By now, everyone's attention are fixed on the large, clear HD TV in the otherwise bare hall. The soldiers are spreading out, half surrounding us as our hearts thud as one.


"Alexander Stohl, seventeen."


On the TV screen, the white double doors of the second floor balcony burst open. A tall, tan guy walks out stiffly. Straightening up, he places his arms on the railings, his dirty blond hair falling a little into his eyes. He flicks it back defiantly, thoughts clearly written on his face: Bring it on. I don't fear you. You're going down.


As the crowd registers his message, heads start bobbing, hushed whispers spreading like wildfire. the soldiers stir, but are helpless. After all, they're only nodding, right? No harm done.


Spot on, First Kingdom. Show all of Poder what we're made of.


"Annabel Stohl, seventeen! Our second Academier! Whoa! It's not every year twins make the cut!"


Everyone freezes in shock. Surely not...


The balcony doors fling open as Annabel runs into her twin brother's arms. the emotional scene breaks something in me. A fiery flame broils and churns in my stomach. How can they be so cruel? Taking BOTH twins is just ... plain over the top!


"Emma!" Lia pulls me back. I blink, only just realizing that I had been about to move forward. I swallow. Too close. How close I had been with hell. Practically.


"Kimi Danielle!" Dread runs through me. Not Kimi. She is my best friend, after Connor. She's the typical girl-next-door, though with flaming red hair. She's fun, cool and understanding, the apple of every guy's eyes in our school... well, both of us, actually, if Kimi's to be trusted. Unfortunately, she is.


"It's okay, Emma. Kimi is strong, charming and cool. She'll be more than fine."


I almost sobbed at the irony. My sweet little sister, in her first year of the draw / evaluation, is condoling me. Speak of pure irony.


Tears brimming, I smile. But my heart is breaking, silently behind my smiling front.


All my life, my loved ones had been taken away from me. First my father, poisoned by dark magic while at his work. Then, Connor. And now Kimi. When will this heart-wrenching roll stop?


I watch as Kimi steps out, her flaming red hair flaring about, head held high, regally, challenging. Her emerald eyes shine in defiance. My chest swells with pride for her. That's my Kimi. Stay strong, girl, the Imperium won't break you.


Another guy strolls out. I start, having missed the announcement. Then, I froze. As did everyone around me. J..Joshua?


Though it is no wonder of why he'd been drawn. The perfect student body president, star shooter and captain of the basketball team, as well as top grades. Not to mention that handsome face, those silky locks of brown hair and impossibly blue eyes.


Not Joshua Myraz... Not another Golden Boy, after Connor. And certainly not my long-time crush...

Suddenly, Lia's hand is ripped from mine. Startled, I fumble for her but to avail.


"Emma!" I whip around, my heart in my throat, only to see Lia being pushed into the Evaluation room. A flicker of emotion crosses her face.


Then, just like that, she's gone from my sight.


"Another guy Academier! Young 15 year old Harry Radford, cheeky devil, this one!" The curly, dark haired boy grins cheekily, sea green eyes glinting.


Suddenly, I'm yanked around. I grit my teeth and turn just as the soldier marches me into the evaluation room, his vise-like grip digging painfully into my shoulder. I breathe in slowly and locked eyes with a couple of the remaining teens in the waiting room. I manage to flash a dazzling smile, right before the doors slam shut in my face. I breathe in deeply.


And I turn, to face my fate.


 *~*



© 2013 eunicejx


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on January 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013


Author

eunicejx
eunicejx

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by eunicejx


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by eunicejx


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by eunicejx