Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by eunicejx
"

Dread drags you down. Down, down and deeper, into its unforgiving, fathomless depths.

"

Chapter 4


Porcelain white skin, frosty pink lips and slightly slanted blue eyes. I blink.


But... She's but a child!


I mean, I've seen quite a number of Evaluators, well, just three, actually, but never did I ever hear of a... child?


She stands, eyes narrowed at me. I gulp, instinctively taking a step back, only to be yanked forward by the soldier. I clench my fists and forcefully force my arm from his grasp. He scowls. Just as he was about to grab my shoulder, the girl's child-like voice cuts through the air.


"Leave," she says dismissively, a cool tone that purely radiates chills. A curt nod later, the soldier vanished out of the door.


The girl strides towards me, her plain Greek goddess gown swishing softly with every step and her white-blond tresses bouncing at shoulder length. I give an involuntary shudder as she sizes me up with those chilly eyes.


"Emma Liana Riverstone," she muses, circling me. A shiver runs down my spine. Every child's middle name is a secret since childhood. Birth, in fact. It's only between the closest of family members. I mean, I don't know Connor's middle name, nor I his, and we're closer than siblings.


So, how did she know that?


A smirk crosses her face. I start. Did she just read my mind?


"I'm Johanna Hunt. Is there anything you would like to present?"


"No...grace," I stutter. Her smirk only deepens.


"Grace? Hmn, interesting," she says in that child-like voice that conceals so much eerie maturity behind it. She's really starting to creep me out. "Your hand, Emma."


I place my right hand warily onto her outstretched one. Those small fingers curl around mine and my heart thuds. Her hand is devoid of warmth, cool and smooth like a slab of pure marble. Without warning, icy tingles shoot up my arm, numbing my senses. For a moment, I can't even think, much less move. Just as my mind is starting to register alarm, the tingles fade as she lets my hand go. I let my hand fall limp to my side. I've never experienced that before. Could that actually be... magic?


I watch her carefully as she nods slowly, deep in thought.


"Out. That door," instructs Johanna, gesturing to a set of heavily gold-laden double doors. A sigh escapes my lips. Surely this means I pass, right? Thank God.


I curtsy, proceeding to the doors, feeling her eyes on my back. I try to walk at a normal pace, but my body just couldn't wait to get out of this room and out of sight of that doll-like girl. Whew, now I'll just go home with Li...


The doors fling open and my breath is knocked out of me. I take in the sight of the balcony and the other six waiting Academiers. I struggle to keep up my facade, careful not to let my emotions cross my face. I see Kimi's hand fly to her mouth, slight horror in Joshua's wide eyes and faint recognition from the others.


But what is the real stab in my gut are those sparkling blue eyes, framed by those soft ringlets. I step forward, shaking inside as my name is announced. I strecth out my arm.


Dahlia comes to me and puts her arms around me. I draw her close.


Hello, Academy.


~*~



© 2013 eunicejx


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on January 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013


Author

eunicejx
eunicejx

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by eunicejx


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by eunicejx


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by eunicejx