Chapter 3 "Sage"

Chapter 3 "Sage"

A Chapter by Aubrey Harrell

Sage

I had fun with Candor last night until those pesky humans came in. Candor is sweet. I learned bits and pieces of his personality. He was very curious over everything and he has a caring nature. When I arrived at the den Nightshadow stood waiting for me.

“Hello.” He boomed in his alpha voice. When he used that voice he was very upset.. Oh, this wasn’t good. Whenever he used his alpha voice he was clearly mad. “Where have you been?”

“I went for a walk. The moon and stars were beautiful tonight.” I lie a little. My response was partly true.

“Oh were you?” He question me. He walked over to me and smelt me. I didn’t think or washing their scents off. All he did was sigh though. “Make sure it doesn’t happen again without me knowing. With me going to meet the other alpha I don’t want to lose you.” I nod and give him a happy smile. He smiles back and we pad into the den site. Sol lay on his back and I went and lay next to him. Nightshadow kept watch that night. I fell asleep tired from the journey, but definitely ready for another.

“Why does the sun have to shine so bright!’I whine to the nudging Night.

“Wait up sleepy head we are going for a walk.” He walked a little ways away from me and turned back. I groaned getting up. Why was he taking me out?

We had padded a little ways into the woods before he started talking to me. “So how are you doing?” He said trying to sound casual.

“Just fine, thank you. How are you?” I carried on.

“I am anxious and worried about going to meet that other alpha. I have heard of Aphrodite and some of her deeds. She can be very witty.” He claimed, very nervous. “And I apparently have to take Sol and Kurt with me. I am not allowed to take you.”

My eyes grew soft. “Hey, don’t worry. I am not completely helpless. I bet she just wants to make a food treaty or something. You never know.” I try to calm him. I turn my head away from him as we stop in the woods. The sunlight threw itself onto the trees. The trees shaded the large woods and shadows danced everywhere. I turn back to him and look him right in the eye. He licks me on the nose and starts to head back. I give him a fake smile and watch him trot away. When he is far away enough I scowl and rub my nose attempting to get it off. “Ugh, males.” I roll my eyes and continue back to the den. The sun started to darken. I look up. Rain. It was definitely going to rain, today, but I had plans. I was going to see Candor and that was final.

The river was running extremely fast today. I stuck a stick in the sand hoping he would find it soon. I get ready to howl, but I see him bounding down the side of the hill. His fur bouncing up and down as he ran. I smiled happy to see him. “Meet me there.” I call and I run following the river all the way to Saddle. I beat him there and I wait, and wait, and wait. He doesn’t show. “Where is he?” I ask myself, but just then he comes around the corner. “Oh finally.”

“What? Impatient much?” He chuckles. I laugh with him. “Why did you want to meet?”

“I wanted to get away from the alpha and the pack. He is very nervous about meeting your alpha.”

“Oh sorry that he is nervous, but why do you want to get away from him?”

“He nuzzled me.” I roll my eyes. Candor fidgeted a little.

“Oh, well. Are ya’ll mates?” He asks.

“No! I don’t want to be either.” He took a step back and decided to change the subject. “So are we going to wait for the stars tonight?” He asks. I looked at him.

“Please?” He smiled.

“Of course.” He came and sat next to me. I curled my tail around me and we waited together.

“How is the pack?” I ask trying to fill the gap of emptiness with conversation.

“Hungry, the elk haven’t been very plentiful on our side.”

“Oh I am sorry to hear that. I could bring you some food next time?” I tried to say nicely. I looked down. The river below ran quickly. I started to notice the wind was picking up about dusk. Dark clouds started to grow even more darker and soon covered the sky. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. I growled.

“Why does it have to rain today!” I yell at the clouds and then sigh. “We better get going home. I guess no stars today. This rain would be really bad to get caught in.” Just when the words came out of my muzzle rain started. At first small droplets, but as it continued the rain drops became larger. “Bye Candor, stay safe!” I call after him.

“I will. You too!” He yells over the thunder. I bolt into a mad dash for the den. I had to run half a mile home. The rain came down in sheets and thunder clapped above my head. Lighting followed the thunder like a pup and shined bright through the thick sheets. My thick coat was drenched. I pushed through, but the rain was stronger than me. The wind pushed me back and made me fall. I felt pain against my shoulder. It hit in the middle and then reached out to the rest of my right shoulder. I pushed forward though. A long time later I saw the den. I sprinted with the rest of my strength inside. Sol, Kurt, and Nightshadow were on their feet.

“Where have you been?” Kurt insisted on knowing.

“Sage we were worried about you. Where have you been?” Nightshadow asks repeating Kurt’s question.

“I went out on a scouting trip and I guess I went to far out when the storm hit.” I lie again. I realized that keeping Candor a secret was going to be harder than I thought. I took a step closer to them and fell down exhausted. Sol ran over to me. He nudged me first and when I didn’t move he lay next to me. My soaked fur met his soft, warm fur. I curled my tail around him and closed my eyes. Nightshadow lay close by to me. I could hear him breathing. The rain continued to fall all through the night and the next day. We couldn’t leave the den at all. We were starving. Finally the day before the day of the meeting we were able to leave. My shoulder was much better from the needed rest and I could run. I hadn’t told Nightshadow about it and I don’t intend too. Nightshadow, Kurt, Sol and I run down the hill to the elk herd hungrily. We hadn’t eaten in a few days and it was not doing us good. We used our regular tactic and it took a little longer than normal, but we made it through. An elk lay close to the den as we ate our fill. With our stomachs full I thought of Candor and how his pack is close to starving. I better take Candor some food. I can take it to him tonight.

We lay around the den that afternoon. I took Sol to the watering hole and we played there. On our way back I saw Candor’s stick and I got excited.

“Sol go back to the den. I am going to go.” I tell him.

“Well hurry back. Nightshadow has something to talk about tonight.” He responded and then scampered back to the den. I ran to the recent carcass and with a good bit of meat in my mouth I headed to Saddle. It took me longer than normal with the meat in my mouth, but I managed. By the time I arrived my legs were burning and it was about three in the afternoon. I drop the meat next to Candor.

“Meeting a little earlier today aren’t we?” I ask and laugh. Candor was devouring the meat. He must have really not eaten in awhile. My heart sunk at the sight. When he was finished only bones were left. “Was it good?” I ask him.

“You don’t even know.” He laughs, gasping for air. “I haven’t eaten since the full moon and only then I ate a rabbit. I looked to his sides. His ribs weren’t showing as much as they used to, but they were still visible.

“I am sorry your pack is like that.” I pause for a moment then ask, “By the way do you know anything about the alpha meeting?”

“Curious much?” He asks sarcastically. “No, I don’t and if I did I would have already told you.”

“Well then what could they be meeting for that I can’t go to.” I ask myself more then him.

“I don’t know she hasn’t told me anything, but let’s change the subject.” He pauses for a moment to think, “How was the rain yesterday. I know that it really came beating down.”

“Yah, I fell, but I am fine.” I decided not to worry him about my shoulder, it wasn’t hurting anymore anyways. “How about you?”

“I made it home quickly. The rain wasn’t as bad at the den. I was surprised. We must have been at the edge of the storm.” He says reassuringly.

“Must have.” I respond. “How is everyone in your pack doing?”

“Pretty good. Aphrodite has been a pain in the butt. She won’t shut up about the meeting. She paces back and forth, talking to herself. Sometimes I think she is going crazy.” He laughs. I laugh too and then get a thought. I better get going so Nightshadow doesn’t come look for me.

“Hey well I am glad you are ok, but I….” I start, but decide that I real don’t care right now and I wanted to just talk with Candor. Maybe this was the best thing to do. “Nevermind.”

 

 



© 2017 Aubrey Harrell


Author's Note

Aubrey Harrell
Anything that I need to fix?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on March 6, 2017
Last Updated on March 9, 2017
Tags: Sage