Valen: Chapter 7

Valen: Chapter 7

A Chapter by RJ Snow
"

Liam surprises Valen.

"

Seven

Valen

I went straight to my bedroom, closed the door, and took a slow deep breath. I can't believe that just happened. I can't believe I got a ride home from the man who is possibly the man of my dreams, and I had treated him like crap. What was I thinking? I know what I was thinking. I was thinking that I couldn't allow him to get close to me. I'm just too messed up. I'm not good enough for him. I'm a girl who has to deal with nightmares from a scarred past. He seems like a great guy. I'm sure he deserves better. Besides, what if I were to let him get close to me, and then once he sees how broken I am decides to leave me. Then I could be left with a shattered heart. I just can't take that chance.

I pulled back my curtain so I could look outside and see if he was gone yet. Fitzgerald was already gone, but instead - there was a black SUV with dark tinted windows sitting across the street. I'd never noticed it there before. 

"Valen honey, are you in there?" Mom suddenly called from the hallway.

I opened the door so I could see her. "Yes, it's me."

"I didn't see your car outside. How did you get home?"

"My car wouldn't start so one of the detectives gave me a ride home? Will you be able to give me a ride to work in the morning?"

"Sure. I'm scheduled for nine as well, so I can drop you on the way if you don't mind going in a little early."

"Sure, that's not a problem."

"I'll call Gary's garage in the morning to have them get a wreck truck to pick up your car." 

"Okay. Thanks mom."

"Your welcome honey. Is everything okay?" She asked concerned.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just bummed about my car. I'll be out shortly to help you with dinner." I closed the door back, and took another deep breath. 


I didn't say much to mom while I was helping her make dinner, nor did I say much during dinner. I felt bad, but I just didn't feel much like talking. All I could think about was my earlier conversation with Fitzgerald. Darn it! Why was I letting him take over my thoughts, my feelings? I feel like I'm losing control of my emotions.

When I went to get my cell phone out of my purse to charge it over night while I sleep, I couldn't find it. I thought maybe I left it in my car at the police station, but I was pretty sure I had it in my hand when I got into Fitzgerald's car. Oh no! I bet I dropped it in his car. I guess I'll have to at least approach him tomorrow to ask him if he saw my phone in his car, and then afterwards I can try to avoid him like the plague. 

After going to bed, I couldn't sleep well. Fitzgerald's gorgeous face kept haunting my dreams, and every time he came close to touching any part of me, I would wake up. Some girls might call it a sweet dream, but to me it's more of a beautiful nightmare. I prayed he would soon fade away so that I could get some sleep. I also knew right then that I needed to get a grip on my feelings. I'm not going to let, whatever this is, go any further than a working relationship. Not that he would even want it to go further anyway. It will be so much easier if he'll keep me at arms length. 

***

The next morning I felt like a zombie from lack of sleep, and I looked like one too. I actually scared the hell out of myself when I first looked in the mirror. I had some very visible dark circles under my eyes, so I put on a little more makeup than yesterday. At least it helped a little bit, even if I did look like a zombie pretending to be a model.

Mom called Gary's garage as promised. She told me a mechanic would pick up my car around eleven, and then they would call me with the details after they check it out.

Mom and I rushed out the front door of our house at eight-thirty, and I stopped dead in my tracks, my feet braced themselves. Fitzgerald was standing next to his car, which was parked on the street in front of my house. He was talking on his cell phone, and he did a double take once he noticed me. My heart was suddenly doing cartwheels inside my chest. How could he be so darn beautiful this early in the morning? I knew in that instant that not falling for him was going to be much harder for me than I ever expected. It's sure to be the toughest challenge I've faced so far.

He quickly ended his call, walked over to me, and held out his hand. He was handing me my cell phone. I was right about leaving it in his car yesterday. "Good morning. I thought you might need this," he said with a warm, sexy smile.

"Thank you, and good morning," I said, taking my phone from his hand. "You didn't have to bring it here, you could've given it to me at the station." 

"I wasn't sure I would even get a chance to see you, plus I thought you might also need a ride to work."

"Actually my mom was going to drop me off on her way to work." At that moment we both finally looked over at my mom who was staring at us in, what seemed to be, pure amazement. "Oh mom, this is Detective Fitzgerald," I told her. "This is my mom Sofia." I said to Fitzgerald.

He gestured my mom a handshake. "You can call me Liam. Pleasure to meet you Sofia."

My mom nodded and smiled like a giddy schoolgirl. "Likewise Liam." 

I don't know what has gotten into her. I've never seen her act like this.

Liam soon turned his attention back to me. "Well, what do you say? You need that ride."

"No thanks, I �""

"Actually, I just remembered I needed to make a quick stop before work, so it would help me out if you could give Valen a ride Liam," my mom rudely interrupted, and then she and Liam both glared at me curiously. 

"I guess I'm riding with you then," I said to Liam.

He first opened my mom's car door for her. Then when we reached his car, he opened the passenger door for me. I guess chivalry hasn't completely died out after all.

"I was planning to stop and get a chai tea from my favorite café, would you like me to get you something?" He asked once he was behind the wheel of the Taurus. 

"No thanks, I'm not much of a coffee drinker."

"Well, have you ever tried chai tea?"

"No."

"Would you like too? My treat."

"First you've got to promise not to get mad if I don't like it and then pour it out."

"Oh, I won't let you pour it out, I'll drink it. But I think you'll like it."

I chuckled. "Okay, I'll try it."

"Do that again," he ordered softly.

"Do what?"

"Laugh. I love the sound of your laugh."

I only gave him a smile. This is going to be even harder than I thought if I have to keep spending time with him. I made a mental note to put some distance between us after today. Like the plague, remember?


I took one sip of the chai tea, and I was hooked. 

"Well, what do you think?" He asked once he saw me take a drink.

"I like it."

"I'm sorry, did you say you like it?"

"Okay, I love it. I'm now hooked on chai tea."

"See, I told you. I don't usually brag, but I like to think I have good taste."

"Well, you definitely have good taste in drinks."

"I like to believe I have good taste in other areas too."

His last comment confused me, and I was glad that we had arrived to the station when we did because I was beginning to feel awkward. I took the opportunity to change the subject. "Well, thank you again for the ride, and for bringing me my cell phone."

"Your welcome. Hold on a second." He jumped from the car and came around to open my door. He walked me to the entrance of the station. At first there was at least four feet between us, but he gradually moved closer to me cutting the distance to only two feet, and I could suddenly feel my pulse begin to quicken. 

We walked in silence, but it wasn't an awkward silence. Something about it felt comfortable to me, like I was made to walk beside this man. I'm not even sure if I believe in this type of fate.

Once inside the lobby of the station, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I felt a stab of disappointment that I had to leave him, and that's when I decided that I would have to try my hardest to stay away from him from now on. I could feel myself going under, and if I didn't stop now, stop whatever these feelings are, then I fear I might just drown. 



Copyright © 2016, R.J. Snow



© 2016 RJ Snow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on October 30, 2016
Last Updated on October 30, 2016


Author

RJ Snow
RJ Snow

VA



About
Hello! I'm a self-published NA/YA paranormal romance writer who dreams of writing for long hours on a daily basis. My head is full of stories that are dying to get out. I currently have 3 books comple.. more..

Writing
Valen: Chapter 1 Valen: Chapter 1

A Chapter by RJ Snow


Valen: Chapter 2 Valen: Chapter 2

A Chapter by RJ Snow


Valen: Chapter 3 Valen: Chapter 3

A Chapter by RJ Snow