SCI-I FANTASY 1959

SCI-I FANTASY 1959

A Screenplay by Robert Donald Brooks
"

With the help of his three friends and a Federal agent, a young 1950's youth must save the girl he loves from a maniac with a time machine and three giant robots...

"
             
SCI-FI FANTASY 1959
By
 Robert Brooks






















   Contact:    WGAw
209 South Broad St. Apt. B
New Orleans, LA 70119
(352)428-0631 or (504)344-9631
[email protected]
http://www.facebook.com/robbie.brooks.35
http://www.writerscafe.org/robbiesavesall
Copyright Robert Brooks, 2012. All Rights Reserved.

















FADE IN:
EXT. SUBURBS. 2004. MORNING
The neighborhood is just like any neighborhood and it is just an average Saturday morning. Husbands mow lawns, wives make breakfast and kids watch cartoons. A paper boy runs his usual route and all seems well.
INT. RICK’S ROOM. MORNING. IMMEDIATELY AFTER.
Old, sick and tired, Rick Myers lays in his bed and watches out his window. He coughs with teared filled eyes, thinking of years passed. His wife cleans up soda cans and potato chip bags, which makes her grumpy.
RICK’S WIFE
You’ve become such a pig in your old age, Richard.
RICK
Cut me some slack, baby; in case you didn’t notice, I’m dying.
RICK’S WIFE
Please; you’ll outlive all of us, you old geezer.
She kisses him on the forehead and then leaves the room mumbling, but he just smiles. His son, Jackie Myers enters.
JACKIE
Hey dad, doing better?
RICK
As good as I can be. Did I hear little Jack out there?
JACKIE
Yeah, I think mom’s baking cookies. He’s going to spoil his dinner.
RICK
You always loved your mother’s cookies. I tried to make you some one time, remember?
JACKIE
They weren’t so bad.
RICK
They were crap.
Jackie laughs and Rick coughs. The two are silent and Jackie knows just what his father is thinking.
JACKIE
It’s on your mind again, isn’t it? Why do you do this to yourself, pops?
RICK
I’m a very tired and sick old man on death’s door; all I have is the past.
JACKIE
Don’t talk like that. You’ll be fine.
RICK
I’m fine in 1959.
JACKIE
What?
Rick laughs.
RICK
You had to be there.
JACKIE
I’ll never understand. Just what did happen in 1959, dad?
Rick remains silent and just smiles.
Fade TO:
EXT. BRIARWOOD 1959. MORNING.
Briarwood is a small Midwestern town. Young Rick Myers, hangs out by his car, a black 1957 Bel Air. He is a greaser type but he’s not a bad guy. In fact, he’s the type you want to have around. This is a typical 1950’s scenario. A cute girl walks by and they both notice each other.
RICK
Hey there.
GIRL
Hi. Nice car. How fast does it go?
RICK
Want a take a ride and find out?
GIRL
Sure.
The two get in the car. Rick starts it, let’s the engine roar and they take off.
INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. MORNING.
Dr. Donald Jacoby sits in his office going over notes and files concerning his newest invention/discovery. Donald is an average scientist-type, who always wears a white coat. On his desk, lies a strange device, with buttons and a timer of some sort. There is a knock at the door.
DONALD
Come in.
Wilson Taylor enters. He is a man who loves wearing a good suit and keeps his gun holstered under the jacket. Donald does not know this man.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Who are you?
WILSON
Agent Wilson Taylor, sir. You are Donald Jacoby, correct?
DONALD
Yes I am; I’ve been expecting you. Do you know why you’re here?
WILSON
All my superior would say was that you’ve “nailed it.” Pardon me, but what exactly is it you’ve done?
DONALD
You mean he didn’t tell you anything?
WILSON
He has a strange way of doing things. The only thing he would tell me is that you made a big scientific discovery and that he wanted me to come see it.
DONALD
Excellent.
Donald stands with excitement and approaches the device.
WILSON
Actually, I forgot to mention that he vaguely said something about your former assistant, Dr. Reynolds. He said something went wrong but he wouldn’t say just what.
Donald is upset by thinking of Dr. Reynolds.
DONALD
Yes, there have been a few complications since my discovery, but no worries; I will soon change the world.
Donald lifts the device and shows it to Wilson.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Ever read H.G. Wells, Agent Taylor?
WILSON
I’m familiar with him, yes.
DONALD
Great. I need you to forget everything you know, or think you know. Allow yourself to believe the unbelievable.
WILSON
I’m sorry, what are you getting at, Dr. Jacoby?
DONALD
Well to sum it all up pretty simply for you; I’ve discovered time travel.
Wilson tries to hold back how he really feels (he thinks this is all BS of course, as would anyone.)
WILSON
Oh time travel. Of course...
DONALD
I don’t expect you to believe me just yet, but trust me; it is the truth.
WILSON
Okay, I’ll bite. How do you expect me to believe you? What proof do you have?
DONALD
So you said that you’re familiar with my former assistant?
WILSON
Dr. Reynolds? Like I said, I was told that he was apparently the first test subject. I trust this is what he was tested on?
DONALD
He was the first human being to ever travel through time. What I didn’t know was that Dr. Reynolds had a very sick problem. See here in Briarwood, we were having a very serious situation. Girls were disappearing all over town. Over the course of three years, seven girls went missing. When Dr. Reynolds used the machine, he traveled back to London in the 1800’s. When he came back through to the present, he was covered in blood and wearing some interesting clothing. You see, we had caused one of the most brutal series of murders in recorded history.
Wilson has an idea of what Donald is referring to and becomes very interested.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Dr. Reynolds was taken into custody for further investigation. When the police searched his home it was discovered that he had been the one taking the young women of Briarwood. Dr. Reynolds was a sick, sadistic serial killer.
WILSON
Are you saying that Dr. Reynolds was who I think he was?
DONALD
I’m saying that time travel can be dangerous in the wrong hands, Agent Taylor.
WILSON
The file was very vague. What the hell did happen to Dr. Reynolds?
Donald
He was executed.
EXT. OUTSIDE OF DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. AFTERNOON.
Donald and Wilson sit at an outside table, sipping on drinks and continuing their conversation.
WILSON
This is all very overwhelming, Dr. Jacoby. I hope you don’t mind if I say that I’m not entirely convinced.
DONALD
I don’t expect you to be, Agent Taylor. But I will convince you; I promise you that much.
WILSON
I must admit that I am intrigued. I look forward to seeing what you have to show me.
Marty Jacoby, Donald’s nephew, passes by. He hopes to be unnoticed but Donald catches him.
DONALD
Marty? Where have you been?
Marty stops and turns. His eyes are red, revealing that he has been crying. He is very upset.
Marty
Nowhere, Uncle Donald. I’ve just been around.
DONALD
You’ve been crying, my boy. Is it that girl?
MARTY
I don’t want to talk about it.
DONALD
But-
MARTY
I don’t want to talk about it. Just leave me alone!
Marty runs off inside in anger and hurt. Donald feels for his nephew.
DONALD
You’ll have to excuse my nephew. He has been infatuated with a local girl for some time and it seems that she has broken his heart.
WILSON
Does he live with you here at the Lab?
DONALD
Yes. Marty’s parents were killed in an accident when he was twelve. He has stayed with me ever since.
Wilson
Will he be a problem?
DONALD
Not at all. Everything will go according to plan. I promise you that.
INT. The Secret Room. Immediately after.
The slide doors open and the dark room lights up. Marty enters, wiping away his tears. He walks up to the three large man-like machines and presses his chin up on a bar that is part of a casing that holds the machines in place.
MARTY
Why can’t I have you, Nikki? You should have said yes. It’s all that Jack Flint’s fault. I’ll make you all pay. I have a plan...
EXT. The Moonrise Oasis. Evening.
The Moonrise Oasis is just an average 1950’s indoor/outdoor diner. There are cars pulled up to get food, waitresses on skates and young couples making out. Rick again stands along side his car, lighting a cigarette. Eddie Conrad and Mac Edwards enter slowly. They stop and stand by Rick, pause and look around before they speak.
Rick
Boys.
Eddie
Hey Rick.
Mac
Been here long, man?
Rick
Long enough.
Mac
You see Jack?
Rick
He’s inside.
Rick tosses his cigarette.
RICK (CONT’D)
Let’s go in.
Rick walks on in towards the Diner. Eddie and Mac follow. They pass a hot girl that they all take notice of. Rick is the only one who could stand a chance with her but he moves on.
INT. THE MOONRISE OASIS. NIGHT.
Young people enjoy food, drink, shakes and laughs as the servers and cooks suffer through the rush. Jack Flint sits at a table with Rick, Eddie and Mac.
RICK
So, Jack man, I hear that Martin Jacoby asked your old lady out. What’s up with that man?
JACK
I guess he’s always had a thing for her; I don’t know. She is the best looking girl in town.
EDDIE
So what’s she doing with you Jack?
Eddie laughs but no one else thinks this is funny.
Rick
Go get me a cherry cola, Eddie.
EDDIE
But-
RICK
Cherry, now.
EDDIE
Fine.
Eddie gets up and goes to the counter but is ignored by the server.
RICK
I tell you what you do, Flint. You tell little Jacoby you want to talk about it man to man and then you beam him.
JACK
Beam him?
RICK
Kick his a*s, duh.
Mac
But you kick everyone’s a*s yourself, Rick.
RICK
Vanilla cola, scram.
MAC
But you sent Eddie to get you a cherry coke.
RICK
Did I stutter?
MAC
Fine.
Mac stands and joins Eddie at the counter. Jack continues the discussion after much thought.
JACK
Listen, I couldn’t do that, Rick. Marty’s not a bad guy. Besides, people have picked on him his whole life; I couldn’t do that.
RICK
Fine, I’m just offering some free advice, that’s all. It’s like my Uncle Tic always says; stand up for what you believe in, no matter what the cost.
JACK
Your Uncle Tic also keeps one hell of an arsenal in his home just in case Japan decides to attack us again.
RICK
He has a hard time letting go. (Pause) Say can you spot me a burger and fries? I have two sodas coming up and nothing to eat.
EXT. THE SPOT. NIGHT.
There are a bunch of cars parked at the spot where boys go to make out with girls, in typical 1950’s style. Jack sits in the front seat of his car with his girlfriend, Nicole ‘Nikki’ Crane sitting next to him. He holds her and they are both quiet.
JACK
I hope Marty Jacoby didn’t bother you any.
NIKKI
No, I just felt bad for him really.
JACK
Yeah, me too. Rick said I should beat him up, but I told him I couldn’t do that.
NIKKI
And that’s just why I’m with you, Jack Flint. You’re the sweetest guy in town.
JACK
Not the best looking?
NIKKI
Fine, you’re pretty easy on the eyes.
JACK
You are too, Nikki. I mean, you’re the best in town.
Nikki gives a ‘huh’ expression.
JACK (CONT’D)
I mean the prettiest; girl, that is.
They both laugh and kiss.
NIKKI
How about we go to that party?
JACK
Don’t you want to be alone?
NIKKI
Alone is fine (Pause) at the party.
JACK
Fine. (Sighs) Let’s go to the party.
INT/EXT. HOUSE PARTY. NIGHT.
The part is not very exciting. In fact, everyone seems to be a bit bored while they sip their drinks. Jack holds Nikki, while they stand and talk with Rick, Eddie and Mac.
MAC
This party stinks, huh?
EDDIE
It could be worst. The Fischer twins could puke in the swimming pool again.
MAC
I don’t think they’re invited to these things anymore.
RICK
I don’t know why we come to these get together’s myself. I could be out with a babe at the spot.
JACK
To think, we left there to come here.
NIKKI
Well I could call it a night and you can drop me off at home. Or maybe I could get a ride from Mike Sexton over there.
Nikki points over to Mike Sexton, who is a typical frat boy-jock type. He is talking to a girl who really has no interest.
JACK
Very funny.
Nikki laughs at her own joke.
EDDIE
That guy? I heard he goes by ‘Sex-Machine’ back in Ohio, where he’s from.
RICK
Go find out, Eddie.
EDDIE
Yeah right.
MAC
He obviously made that up. That’s what happens when a puke like him has the word ‘sex’ in their name.
Silence.
RICK
Man, this party sucks, huh?
Marty enters unseen. He watches Nikki from afar. He almost breaks down entirely as Jack puts his arm around her and kisses her on the forehead. He begins to turn and exit, but Mike Sexton grabs him. Two of Mike’s friends, Tom and Peter, join in.
MIKE
Well, well; look what we have here, boys.
TOM
Looks like a nerd to me, Mike.
MIKE
I think you’re right, Tom. Peter?
PETER
Let’s show him the way out.
MIKE
Good idea.
The three drag Marty out of the house. He fights but is too weak to break free. He is thrown down on the lawn and laughed at by everyone. Jack runs out to help him up.
JACK
Leave him alone, Sexton. You okay, Marty?
Marty stands and pushes Jack away from him.
MARTY
Get away from me, Flint!
JACK
I was just trying to help, man.
MARTY
I don’t want your help. Go back and be with your girlfriend; enjoy it while it lasts.
Marty runs off. Jack is confused.
MIKE
Take a look at Jack Flint, the big hero! What a hoot!
Mike, Tom and Peter laugh and head back inside. Jack is still confused when Nikki come out and joins him. He puts his arm around her.
JACK
What did that mean?
INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. NIGHT.
Marty enters, bloody and beaten, and turns on the lights.
MARTY
I guess I’ll have to add those three creeps to my list. Enough is enough.
Marty opens a safe, secretly knowing his Uncle’s combination.
MARTY (CONT’D)
I can’t wait any longer. But first I need to learn how to do it. I need to learn how to kill.
Marty pulls a gun from out of the safe. He goes to the machine.
MARTY (CONT’D)
If I’m going to pull it off, I need to start getting some practice.
Marty picks up a history book that he had left there.
MARTY (CONT’D)
My Uncle should have been more careful. They should all have been more careful.
Marty turns on the machine, enters some numbers and a portal appears.
MARTY (CONT’D)
Here goes nothing.
Marty enters the portal.
EXT. CHICAGO. 1924. DAY.
Chicago is a place of crime in 1920’s prohibition-era Chicago. Men like Al Capone rise and fall every day, and decent people live in fear. A portal opens in a back alley, for no one to see. Marty appears and it closes behind him. He opens his bag, pulls out the history book and looks through it.
MARTY
Okay. Ed “Bulldog” Murdock. He’ll help me. But first, I need to find some suitable clothes.
INT. UNDERGROUND BAR. DAY.
Bulldog sits alone at a table in the back of the bar, out of site. He is a well dressed man, with an innocent face but a deadly reputation. He sips on a drink. Marty enters, now wearing appropriate clothing. He sees Bulldog and approaches.
MARTY
Okay. (Pause) I wonder, sir, if I could sit with you.
Bulldog doesn’t really care. Marty has read enough information in the history book to know how Bulldog acted.
BULLDOG
Why would you want to do that, kid? Don’t you know who I am?
MARTY
That’s why I’d like to sit with you.
BULLDOG
Go ahead.
Marty sits.
BULLDOG (CONT’D)

How’d you know about this place?
MARTY
I (Pause) know some people.
BULLDOG
Yeah right. I am the people you need to know to find this joint. The damn prohibition’s torn this country to pieces. This is the last place I have after they found my spot down town, the b******s. So what can I do for you?
MARTY
I want to learn how to do what you do.
BULLDOG
You want to rob banks?
MARTY
No, the other thing.
BULLDOG
And why is that?
MARTY
There’s this (pause) fellow back where I come from; he stole my girl and my dignity. I want to make him suffer, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.
BULLDOG
You mean you ain’t got the stomach. You want me to teach you how to get the guts, right?
MARTY
Yes sir.
BULLDOG
So you come into my place, announce that I’m a murderer, ask me to teach you how to hurt people and I’m supposed to just smile and say, OK?
MARTY
I hope so.
BULLDOG
You do have some guts, kid. I’ll see what I can do.
EXT. BACK ALLEY. MORNING
The next morning, Marty and Bulldog stand in a back alley, holding guns. There are targets set up in the distance.
BULLDOG
We start here, kid. To be able to kill a man, you have to first make sure you can even fire the damn thing. Watch this.
Bulldog shoots, hitting all of the targets.
MARTY
That was great!
BULLDOG
It takes some practice. Now you try.
Marty aims at the target. He shoots but misses. Bulldog laughs. This irritates Marty and he fires repeatedly, hitting all of the targets. Bulldog is speechless.
MARTY
Excellent.
BULLDOG
How the hell did you do that?
MARTY
Sometimes, not very often, I get what I want.
BULLDOG
Where the hell did you say you were from again?
Marty hesitates a bit, thinking.
MARTY
Umm (pause) Philadelphia.
BULLDOG
That’s some town.
MARTY
Yeah, it is. So what do you think?
BULLDOG
I think you’re ready. Just keep this in mind, kid; once you do it, once you take a life, you can never take it back. It stays with you forever. Tell me, an you live with that?
MARTY
Yes I can. And he should have thought twice about doing what he did to me.
BULLDOG
If you say so. And if you find that you can’t do it, no harm done, right?
INT. ABANDONED BUILDING. NIGHT.
Bulldog and Marty stand in front of a man tied to a chair.
BULLDOG
This is it, Marty; this is what you’ve been waiting for. Just aim at the pig, pull the trigger and we can go get a drink.
MARTY
Who is he?
BULLDOG
Does it matter? (Pause) He stole some money from me. Just do it kid, real simple.
Marty aims the gun at the guy but is hesitant.
BULLDOG (CONT’D)
You can do it, kid. Just pull the trigger.
Marty still can’t seem to bring himself to do it.
BULLDOG (CONT’D)
Think of her.
Marty thinks and then pulls the trigger, shooting the man to his death. Bulldog laughs.
BULLDOG (CONT’D)
There you go, kid; you did it! Woo! Now you have what it takes!
Marty smiles with pride.
INT/EXT. STREETS OF CHICAGO. DAY.
There is a car chase. Bulldog’s car is tailing two poor fellows who knocked off his liquor truck. Bulldog’s driver attempt to knock them off the road but fails. Marty rolls down the window, hangs out holding a Tommy gun and fires, laughing madly. The other car runs off the road into a ditch. Bulldog’s car stops and he and Marty get out, holding their Tommy guns. They smile to one another and begin shooting up the car, leaving no survivors.
INT. BULLDOG’S HANGOUT. NIGHT.
Bulldog and Marty sit at a table, resting.
MARTY
When did you kill your first guy, Bulldog?
BULLDOG
I was about seventeen.
MARTY
What happened?
BULLDOG
He was real scum is all.
MARTY
Did he rob you or something?
BULLDOG
No. My family had a lot of land a while back. This creep, Norton came and took it all away. My parents didn’t have anything to fall back on so my dad went to the guy and tried to talk to him reasonably. The man laughed at him and told him he could go sleep with the pigs. My dad died the next Winter trying to find work out West. Well one day, I was out doing some work and I saw him. All those years past and here was the guy who hurt my family, who basically killed my pop. I followed him back to his place, crawled through a window and waited until he was sleeping.  
MARTY
What did you do?
BULLDOG
I uh (sigh) I put a pillow over his face while he was sleeping.
MARTY
You smothered him?
BULLDOG
No, I also used my knife to stab him in the face repeatedly through the pillow. I’m real sick kid.    
Bulldog just laughs and Marty joins in. Then there’s a moment of quiet as Bulldog falls to sleep.
MARTY
Bulldog?
Bulldog begins to snore. Marty sits back, looks to the door and sighs.
MARTY (CONT’D)
I need some more practice.
EXT. BULLDOG’S HANGOUT. MORNING.
Bulldog wakes up to find Marty missing and walks outdoors.
BULLDOG
Marty? Marty, you there? Where’d that kid go?
EXT. WESTERN TOWN. 1885. NOON.
Nasty Earl Tate and Buckeye Roxy are having a standoff. The towns people watch. Marty, now in cowboy clothing, watches from among the crowd. Both men sweat and wait, hands near their guns. The bells in the clock tower begin to ring and both men draw. Both shoot, but Buckeye misses and fall dead. The town is disappointed to see the villain win the draw. Nasty Earl laughs and everyone goes back to their business.
NASTY EARL
What? Don’t anyone want to buy me a drink?
EXT. BACK ALLEY. AFTERNOON.     
Nasty Earl goes to his horse, and begins to untie it from the side of the building. The man is drunk with pride. Marty Approaches from behind.
MARTY
Nasty Earl?
NASTY EARL
Who wants to know?
Nasty Earl turns to see Marty, but before he can even realize what’s going on, Marty shoots him dead. Nasty Earl hits the ground and Marty just laughs.
MARTY
This is fun.
EXT. LAS VEGAS. 3014. NIGHT.
Las Vegas of the future is a very beautiful sight. There are flying cars and bikes, robots, floating Casino’s, etc... People party, gamble, drink and have a good time. A Wayne Newton-type entertainer (old, washed up has-been) comes out from a theatre, signing autographs and taking pictures for middle-aged women. In the distance, Marty lays on a rooftop with a futuristic sniper rifle. He looks through the scope and fires. He looks up and smiles with satisfaction.
EXT. BRIARWOOD 1959. NIGHT.
A portal appears. Marty steps out and it closes. He examines the device and smiles.
MARTY
This was such a great journey, but still only the beginning. Now it’s time to carry out my plan once and for all.
INT. THE MOONRISE OASIS. NIGHT.
Sad music plays on the jukebox. Jack and Nikki sit quietly at a table, across from each other. Rick sits at the counter. Mac and Eddie talk with two girls, trying to impress them but failing. Suddenly all of them are hit with a sense of dread. Mac and Eddie just stop talking and look around. Both girls roll their eyes and take off. Rick feels sad and looks around the diner as if he’s waiting for someone to show. Nikki begins crying and Jack gets up, sits next to her and holds her.
JACK
What is it, Nikki?
NIKKI
I have the worst feeling that something bad is about to happen.
JACK
Me too. But I won’t let anything happen to you.
He kisses her on the forehead and continues to hold her.
INT. THE SECRET ROOM. MORNING.
Wilson and Donald examine the three robots.
DONALD
So what do you think?
WILSON
I have to say, they are really incredible. So why are they kept here in storage?
DONALD
I built them with the idea that we could use them to fight wars for us so that young men don’t have to give their lives. The Government didn’t agree.
WILSON
Maybe in time. Well I’m gong to go out for a day on the town. I’m very curious in seeing the rest of Briarwood and what it has to offer.
DONALD
You should try a shake at Captain Ian’s Soda Room. They’re to die for.
WILSON
Will do.
The two men shake hands.
WILSON (CONT’D)
We’ll talk more tonight.
DONALD
See you then.
Wilson exits through the slide doors that remain open. a moment goes by while Donald examines his creations.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Maybe another day.
There is a sudden thud from down the hall.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Forget something, Agent Taylor?
No answer.
DONALD (CONT’D)
Marty?
 INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. IMMEDIATELY AFTER.
Marty goes through his uncle’s paper work, looking for what he needs. Donald enters, confused to what his nephew could be up to.
DONALD
Marty, what are you doing?
MARTY
Looking up what I need to know to see the rest of my plan through, dear uncle.
DONALD
Marty, I know you’ve been having a hard time. I know a broken heart when I see it. But you can’t let one girl’s rejection affect your whole life. You have to move on and get past it so that you can see when the right one comes along. Trust me, you don’t want to miss a great opportunity. And you know, you can always come to me for advice. I know it seems hard to talk to me sometimes, but trust me; you couldn’t shock me one bit.
MARTY
Actually, Uncle, I can.
Marty pulls out the gun and shoots Donald. Donald falls in pain. Marty stands over his hurt and confused uncle, gun at his side.
MARTY (CONT’D)
Did I shock you? Good. Now it’s time for me to move on as you said. But first, I have to rally up the army.
INT. The SECRET ROOM. Immediately after.
Again, the slide door opens and the lights turn on. Marty enters and walks by the large machines. He approaches a control device.
MARTY
Time to wake up, my friends. I’ve got a job for you.
Marty pushes a series of controls and the machines turn on. He grins like a mad man.
INT. THE MOONRISE OASIS. AFTERNOON.
Jack, Rick, Eddie and Mac sit in the diner.
JACK
So here we are; another great day wasted here at the usual spot.
EDDIE
What are you saying, Jack, that we should go do something? There’s nothing to do but sit around; this is the most boring place in the world.
MAC
Yeah, nothing exciting ever happens around here.
INT/EXT. DRIVE-IN MOVIES. DAY.
Workers get clean up and get things ready for the night’s movie showings. Inside, Mike, Tom and Peter stock the food bar, which consists of the usual popcorn, candy and sodas.
TOM
So Mike, you get anywhere with Shirley yet?
MIKE
Eh, she’ll let me feel her up; that’s about it. Anyway, I’m talking to Madelyn Cooper.
PETER
No way, I hear she goes all the way.
MIKE
Not yet, but I'm planning to change that.
TOM
She is something else.
All three laugh and Tom and Peter high-five. There is suddenly a loud BOOM.  
PETER
What the hell was that?
The three go outside. An odd noise is heard, and it sounds like something is hovering around the perimeter.
TOM
What is that?
MIKE
I have a bad feeling...
Suddenly, there is an explosion and a large robot comes blasting through the large white screen.
TOM
Oh god!
Tom and Peter run back inside but Mike is frozen in place. Tom peaks his head out at Mike.
TOM (CONT’D)
Mike, get in!
Mike snaps out of it and begins to run in but the robot shoots a missile that hits the food bar and the building explodes, killing both Tom and Peter. Mike is thrown back a couple of yards and he hits the ground hard. He looks up to see the robot coming for him. He forces himself up and he runs for his truck. He nervously opens the door and shakes as he tries to put the key into the ignition. He somehow starts it, laughs and takes off. He doesn’t make it far before the robot releases another missile that blows him and his truck to smithereens.
EXT. DOWNTOWN. DAY.
Wilson walks downtown, drinking a shake. He smiles and admires the sight of such a lovely place. He sees a mother with her children and sighs.
WILSON
My, what a lovely town.
There is suddenly the sound of screaming. People begin running and a man set on fire runs out towards Wilson, who steps back, drops the shake and prepares for impact.
BURNING MAN
My god, it hurts so bad!
The man falls to the ground. Wilson attempt to help but is alarmed to see a large robot coming towards him. He pulls out his gun and shoots the robot but it does nothing.
WILSON
Holy smokes!
Wilson runs and flees from the scene.
EXT. THE MOONRISE OASIS. DAY.
Jack, Rick, Mac and Eddie exit the diner and head towards Rick’s car. They stop when they see a group of people running and screaming.
MAC
What’s going on?
EDDIE
Maybe there’s a sell.
There’s an explosion in the distance and more screaming.
RICK
I think we’re in trouble.  
A large robot appears in the distance, shooting at pedestrians who are running with fear.
JACK
What the hell is that thing?
The robot approaches the diner.
RICK
Get in the car.
The four run towards the car but the robot launches a missile and the car explodes. The four friends hide their faces behind their arms.
RICK (CONT’D)
We’re in trouble!
The robot launches another missile and the diner explodes, killing everyone inside.
MAC
Any ideas?
Nikki suddenly pulls up in her pink convertible.
NIKKI
Jack!
JACK
Nikki!
NIKKI
Get in, you guys!
The four friends jump into the car with Jack in the front and Mac, Rick and Eddie in the back.
NIKKI (CONT’D)
Hold on!
Nikki drives and they speed off to safety.
INT/EXT. NIKKI’S CAR. IMMEDIATELY AFTER.
Nikki drives. All are quiet until Rick finally speaks.
RICK
What the hell is going on here? That was a pretty damn big robot!
NIKKI
So far, there’s two of them that have been reported blowing things up and killing people. The drive-n theatre was the first to go. Mike Sexton and his goons were killed.
JACK
Even they didn’t deserve that. So what do we do now?
RICK
Head to my uncle’s house. He has something that might help us.
MAC
What could your uncle possibly have that could help us?
RICK
A storage room full of guns.
MAC
I vote on Uncle Tic’s place.
EDDIE
I second that.
EXT. DOWNTOWN. DAY
Wilson sneaks around, hoping he doesn’t encounter another robot. He is dirty and beaten up quite a bit.
WILSON
What a great idea, coming here to this damn place. Sure, nothing can go wrong here. I quit.
Suddenly, Nikki’s car pulls up with her, Jack, Mac, Rick and Eddie inside. Wilson is startled and so he screams.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Son a b***h!
He calms down when he notices that it’s a car full of people.
NIKKI
You okay?
WILSON
I’m just swell, sweetheart. I’ve only been running from a huge robot that killed a whole dozens of people all around me, but sure; I’m just dandy. And on top of it all, I think I know where they came from.
JACK
Get in, we’re going somewhere safe.
WILSON
Sure, let’s go.
Wilson gets in the car and they take off.
EXT. UNCLE TIC’S HOUSE. IMMEDIATELY AFTER.
Rick’s Uncle Tic is already sorting through his guns and loading them with ammo. As he finishes with each gun, he loads them up into the back of his pickup truck. He notices a hand grenade, laugh and stuffs it in his pocket. He looks up to see Nikki’s car pull up.
UNCLE TIC
Well I’ll be...
Nikki, Jack, Rick, Mac, Eddie and Wilson get out of the car and approach. Rick smiles, happy to see his uncle alive.
UNCLE TIC (CONT’D)
I worried you died, boy.
RICK
We got out just in time, thanks to Jack’s girl.
UNCLE TIC
Damn glad to see it. I’m glad to see all you kids made it out okay.
He notices the stranger amongst the group.
UNCLE TIC (CONT’D)
I don’t think I know you, friend.
WILSON
My name is Wilson Taylor, and I think I can be of some help to you all.
JACK
He says he has some information on where these things came from.
UNCLE TIC
Well then, come on in.
The seven head inside.
INT. UNCLE TIC’S HOUSE. NIGHT.
Nikki, Mac and Eddie make some dinner in the kitchen. Jack, Rick, Wilson and Uncle Tic talk in the living room.
UNCLE TIC
So let me get this straight. Old man Jacoby built these robots? And he also built a time machine that he intends to use. And you say you were sent here to investigate whether his claims were true or not?
WILSON
That’s right, sir.
JACK
I wonder what possibly reason there could be for him to send out these robots to kill people, and what does he intend to use this time machine for?
WILSON
I’m not so sure it was Donald Jacoby that did all of this.
RICK
What do you mean?
WILSON
Dr. Jacoby has a nephew living with him.
RICK
Yeah, Martin Jacoby.
WILSON
Well, Martin was having a tough time. Apparently, some girl broke his heart.
Jack and Rick give each other a look, realizing what Wilson is talking about.
JACK
Oh boy.
UNCLE TIC
What is it?
RICK
Nikki was that girl. He asked her out the other night and she turned him down.
JACK
She is my girlfriend after all.
WILSON
I could tell that the boy was quite disturbed but I didn’t feel comfortable with bringing it up with Jacoby. He must have snapped.
UNCLE TIC
So what now?
WILSON
I’m going back to that lab. I have to figure out how to stop this.
RICK
I’m going with you.
WILSON
No, you should all try to get the hell out of town and get help.
UNCLE TIC
I don’t think so. You best bet we’re coming too. You’ll need the help.
JACK
We’ll all go. Nikki should get out and find help, but the rest of us are going.
WILSON
Fine. We should get some sleep first and go straight in the morning.
UNCLE TIC
Yep. Everyone always says I shouldn’t have all these guns. Well who’s the big shot now?
Silence.
INT. BEDROOM. NIGHT./EXT..
Nikki makes the bed and lays down, finding the smell a bit bad but making the best of it.
INT. BACK ROOM
Mac and Eddie are already asleep. Jack, Rick, Wilson and Uncle Tic lay but remain awake.
WILSON
I don’t think I’ll find much sleep tonight.
JACK
Me neither.
Uncle Tic pulls out a knife and hands it to Wilson.
UNCLE TIC
Here you go, maybe this will make you feel more safe.
Wilson is baffled by this. Jack and Rick hide their laughter.
WILSON
Thank you. I already feel much better.
UNCLE TIC
I thought you would. Now get to sleep you pansies; we have a big day ahead of us.
Silence. Suddenly, Mac is awake.
MAC
Guys who do you think would win in a fight? A T-Rex or a robot.
RICK
(Pause) Shut up, Mac.
MAC
(Pause) Ok.
Silence.
EXT. DOWNTOWN. NIGHT.
Two large robots stomp down the street, shooting at anything they come upon. Fire burns in the town.
EXT. UNCLE TIC’S HOUSE. NIGHT.
Jack stands outside, looking upon of the town in the distance. It is burning and smoke rises to the clouds. He is angry. Wilson comes outside and joins him.
WILSON
Can’t sleep, Jack?
JACK
How could you tell?
DONALD
Because I can’t either.
JACK
Makes sense, I guess.
WILSON
There’s not much that makes sense right now.
JACK
Nope, sure isn’t.
Silence.
WILSON
Hell of a thing.
JACK
I’d go right now if I could and do whatever I can to stop them. But I need to see that Nikki makes it out safe first.
WILSON
You love her?
JACK
Yes.
WILSON
More than anything?
JACK
More than you know.
WILSON
Then you’ll be a target. Martin Jacoby will want you dead; just don’t take it personal. We have to stop him,. I know you’re angry but you can’t let emotions cloud your judgement.
JACK
I’ll be fine.
WILSON
I hope you’re right.
JACK
Suppose we do stop him. What then?
WILSON
We take him into custody.
JACK
Like the police?
WILSON
Like the police. Then we make him shut the damn things down.
JACK
What if he doesn’t want to go quietly?
WILSON
(Pause) We’ll worry about that when the time comes.
The two stand together and look upon the dying town in silence.
INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. NIGHT.
Marty goes over a map, while scanning through reports that his robots made through what they have seen and done. His uncle lies dead in the corner. Marty pinpoints a specific spot and laughs.
MARTY
There you are, my friends. I’ve got you now.
INT/EXT. UNCLE TIC’S HOUSE. DAWN.
Jack wakes up confused and then remembers where he is. He gets up and looks around the room where Rick, Mac, Wilson, Uncle Tic and Eddie also sleep. He heads out the front door to see Nikki standing outside, looking upon the smoke filled skies.
JACK
Nikki?
Nikki turns and looks back at him smiling. He smiles back. Suddenly a large robot swoops down and grabs her. She screams.
JACK (CONT’D)
Nikki!
NIKKI
Jack! Help me, Jack!
The robot flies off with her as it’s captive. It heads back towards the lab.
JACK
No!
Rick, Wilson, Uncle Tic, Mac and Eddie run out to see what has happened.
EDDIE
Jack, what happened?
JACK
It took Nikki!
MAC
What?
JACK
It took her and flew off.
WILSON
It’s taking her back to the lab. We have to hurry!
Suddenly a second robot appears, blowing up the house. Everyone falls to the ground. Uncle Tic stands up and runs to his truck. He comes back with a shotgun in hand.
UNCLE TIC
That’s it, you sum’ b***h!
Uncle Tic shoots at the robot but it barely does a thing. The others run towards the truck, but Rick worries about his uncle.
RICK
Uncle Tic, come on! We have to go!
UNCLE TIC
You all go ahead without me; I’ll hold the damn thing off.
RICK
But-
UNCLE TIC
Just go, kid.
Rick does so and he, Jack, Wilson, Mac and Eddie jump into the truck and take off. Uncle Tick shoots a joint in the robots leg and it falls to the ground. He laughs but it shoots him in the belly. He screams in pain.
UNCLE TIC (CONT’D)
Oh great! I survived Japan for this?
He shoots it and it swings it’s arm, knocking him to the ground. He knows he’s doomed.
UNCLE TIC (CONT’D)
That’s it. It’s time to play hardball.
Uncle Tic pulls the grenade out of his pocket, pulls out the key with his teeth, spits the key to the ground and holds on tight and he runs up and grabs the robot by the neck-like area.
UNCLE TIC (CONT’D)
Alright, you scum; time to pay up!
INT/EXT. TRUCK. DAY.
Wilson drives the truck with Jack and Mac next to him and Rick and Eddie in the back with the guns. Rick sees the small explosion back at the house. He knows that his Uncle is dead but at least he took one of the robots with him. Everyone is silent. They come upon the down town area, which is in ruins, and stop to find the last two robots doing battle with Army troops. Two tanks shoot back at the robots that are putting up quite a fight.
EDDIE
When the hell did the Army get here?!
WILSON
Great! Now we have a diversion to keep them busy while we check out the lab.
JACK
Let’s just go.
The heroes take off towards the lab.
INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. DAY.
Nikki is tied up in the lab. Marty enters, examining the time machine.
NIKKI
Why are you doing this, Marty?
MARTY
You know why, sweetheart.
NIKKI
I’m not your sweetheart.
MARTY
Well, I hope to change that. My robots might be done for now that the army arrives, but I have plans for us. We are about to embark on a great journey through time. Together, we will see things that you can not imagine. We will make these great discoveries together.
NIKKI
I don’t care about any of that. I just want to be with Jack.
MARTY
Oh I’m sure he’ll be here soon enough.
NIKKI
You mean you want him to come save me?
MARTY
Oh I’m counting on him coming for you. That will make the adventure so much more fun. But I promise you that he will not save you. He will never save you; he will only fail.
EXT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. DAY.
The truck pulls up and the five friends get out and start grabbing guns.
JACK
Here we go.
Wilson nods.
WILSON
Here we go.
Mac and Eddie argue over guns.
MAC
I want that one.
EDDIE
You must be joking. You are a terrible shot. You can’t even shoot a bottle with a BB gun.
MAC
I shot that dog in the a*s one time.
EDDIE
It was an accident, and I love that dog, you dirt bag.
Rick takes the big gun away from Eddie.
RICK
Will both of you just shut up already? I’ll take the good gun and you can take the small ones.
MAC
What a bunch of balognie.
WILSON
You two should stand guard; the three of us will go in. If Marty comes out, shoot him.
EDDIE
What should we do if those robots show up?
Silence.
RICK
Give it your best effort.
Jack, Rick and Wilson head inside, leaving Mac and Eddie scared and not so sure of themselves.
MAC
I’m not going to lie; this kind of pisses me off.
INT. DONALD’S LAB BUILDING. IMMEDIATELY AFTER.
Jack, Rick and Wilson sneak down the hallway heading to the main lab room.
WILSON
(Whispers) Just up ahead, this way.
He doesn’t notice a trick wire, which he trips over. It causes an explosion and the three fall to the ground.
WILSON (CONT’D)
God, are you all alright?
RICK
I’m fine.
WILSON
I didn’t see it.
The three stand, checking themselves.
JACK
Well, now that he knows we’re here we should just get to it.
WILSON
Right.
The three walk on until they finally come to the main lab room.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Well this is it.
RICK
No turning back now, let’s go.
Wilson opens the door and the three enter to find Nikki tied up and Marty holding a gun to her while carrying the time machine in the other arm. Wilson notices donald’s lifeless body in the corner and he sighs.
JACK
Nikki! Let her go, Marty.
MARTY
Not a chance, Jack. She’s mine now and there’s nothing any of you can do to stop me.
RICK
You’re outnumbered; where do you think you’ll go?
MARTY
Oh I’m sure I’ll manage.
Marty raise the time machine.
WILSON
He’s got the damn time machine.
MARTY
I’m afraid so, and I’ve already set it. Now I just...
Marty activates it and a portal appears.
MARTY (CONT’D)
Nikki and I are going for a little ride.
JACK
Marty, please; don’t do this.
MARTY
The time for begging is over, but I’m going to give you a chance. After we pass through, the portal will remain open for another five minutes. Follow me, if you dare. It leads to New York city, September 22nd. 1978. You’ll be out of place and out of luck.
WILSON
Why then?
MARTY
It just sounds fun to me, I don’t know. See you there.
Marty drags Nikki and they leap through the portal, disappearing through time.
JACK
Nikki!
WILSON
We’re running out of time. What do we do?
JACK
I’m going.
WILSON
Okay then, I’m going with you.
RICK
Me too.
JACK
No, stick around incase they double back.
RICK
You’re my best friend, Jack; I have to help you and Nikki.
WILSON
There’s a way you can help. If we don’t come back by the year 1978, then you, Mac and Eddie come meet us there.
RICK
Where at in New York City?
WILSON
Central Park should do.
RICK
You got it.
WILSON
Remember: September 22nd. 1978.
RICK
I won’t forget.
Jack and Rick shake hands.
RICK (CONT’D)
I’ll be seeing you.
Jack nods.
JACK
Yes you will.
Rick nods to Wilson.
RICK
Look out for my friend; yourself too.
WILSON
I give you my word.
Jack and Wilson turn and approach the portal.
WILSON (CONT’D)
This doesn’t seem so hard.
JACK
Piece of cake. I always wanted to take Nikki to New York, but under better circumstances.
WILSON
Well no use worrying now.
Jack takes one more look back at Rick and then at the portal.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Let’s go.
The two jump through the portal and disappear through time. The portal closes behind them and Rick stands alone.
RICK
Well (pause) see you in nineteen years.
INT/EXT. MANHATTAN 1978. NIGHT.
People wander through the streets at night, partying and having a good time. This is the era of disco, CB-GB, drugs and Star Wars.
EXT. Punk Club-Night
Punk rockers drink, argue, yell and what have you. Suddenly there is a bright light and Jack and Wilson appear. They are as surprised as the punk onlookers.
Punk
What the hell?
JACK
Wilson, is this New York?
WILSON
I think so. We made it, pal.
JACK
Is this what everyone looks like in the future?
Wilson looks around and is disgusted by what he sees.
WILSON
God, I hope not.
The punks suddenly get even more frightened and run indoors.
WILSON (CONT’D)
I think we scared them off, Jack.
Marty appears from behind our heroes, carrying a gun.
MARTY
Don’t give yourselves too much credit.
The two are startled and turn to see their enemy.
JACK
Marty? Where’s Nikki?
MARTY
She’s safe. Don’t worry, we’ll be leaving soon enough. I actually thought that maybe I would offer you one last chance to say goodbye.
WILSON
What are you talking about?
MARTY
We’ll be at the Empire State Building tomorrow at 5 PM. Be there and I’ll let you see her one more time before we disappear through time together forever.
WILSON
Why would you give us a chance like that?
MARTY
Let’s just say I’m a fair sport. Besides, you can’t stop me. Be there at 5. And if you follow me, I'll kill you and her both. Got it, Jack?
JACK
Yeah, we got it. And don’t worry, we’ll be there.
Marty turns and begins to walk away.
JACK (CONT’D)
She’ll never love you, you know.
MARTY
No worries. Besides, you’ll never have her again yourself.
Marty exits. Jack wants to go after him, but knows he must be patient.
JACK
I can’t believe I’m not going after him.
WILSON
You do know he just wants her to see you die tomorrow. Perhaps we should just spoil his surprise.
JACK
No. We should head to the rendezvous point.
The two heroes begin walking.
WILSON
Do you think they’ll be there?
JACK
Knowing my friends and what the four of us have already been through, I’m sure of it. Which way do we go?
WILSON
Bear with me; it’s been a while.
EXT. CENTRAL PARK. NIGHT
Rick, Eddie and Mac stand waiting in the park. The three are much older, yet still recognizable.
MAC
They’re not here. Do you think they got trapped in the time vortex or whatever?
RICK
Don’t worry; they’re coming.
EDDIE
It’s been nineteen year, Rick.
RICK
Yeah, and here we are waiting in Central Park like we agreed. Now be quiet and keep your eyes open.
Jack and Wilson appear from the darkness.
JACK
You three still argue like a bunch of old ladies.
MAC
Jack? Wilson?
JACK
Yeah, it’s us.
MAC
This is incredible. Come here, you lunatic.
Mac hugs Jack and all are happy to see each other.
EDDIE
You two haven’t aged a day.
RICK
It’s been nineteen long years.
WILSON
It’s only been hours for us.
MAC
Weird.
RICK
So what now? How do we find Nikki and that monster that took her?
JACK
Actually he found us. As soon as we got here, he showed up. He wants us to meet him at the Empire State building tomorrow at 5. He said he’s giving me a chance to say goodbye before they’re gone forever.
EDDIE
We won’t let that happen, Jack.
JACK
We’re going to have to take him down. But first, I need some sleep. Fighting killer robots is all ancient history for you all, but for us, we haven’t even cleaned our scrapes.
RICK
Come on, we’ve got a room.
INT. HOTEL ROOM. NIGHT
Jack, Wilson, Rick, Eddie and Mac sit around the hotel room.
WILSON
Damn I’m tired.
JACK
From what we’ve seen, the future is a strange place.
RICK
You don’t know the half of it.
EDDIE
There was a war.
WILSON
A war? That’s awful. You three fought then?
RICK
Oh yeah, we fought.
JACK
I’m sorry, guys. I’m sure glad you’re here with us now.
EDDIE

Yeah, somehow all three of us made it back in one piece.
MAC
We always said it was our promise to you that got us through it.
Silence.
JACK
So you guys ever settle down at all?
EDDIE
Mac and I are married. No kids yet, but we’re hoping.
JACK
Yeah I always had a feeling about you two.
Everyone laughs.
EDDIE
Very funny. Not to each other; to women, of course.
MAC
Rick’s finally settled down a bit too.
JACK
Yeah? You’re kidding me.
RICK
She’s a good one.
Another moment of silence.
WILSON
So how are the movies in the seventies?
MAC
How are the movies? Well, there’s only one worth caring about. It kicks Star Trek’s a*s.
WILSON
What’s Star Trek?
INT. ABANDONED WAREHOUSE. MORNING
Nikki is tied up. Marty stumbles around, deep in thought.
NIKKI
Marty, why won’t you just let me go?
MARTY
Because he can’t have you; I won’t let him.
NIKKI
But I love him and he loves me.
MARTY
How unfortunate for you both. You would have been better off loving me like I’d hoped. No bother, in time we’ll be a long ways from now and you’ll finally come around.
NIKKI
I’ll never love you. And Jack will save me.
MARTY
Tomorrow, Jack will lose you forever. You will watch him die, my love. There’ no such thing as heroes.
Marty uses the device and a time portal appears. Another moment later and a second one opens. An older Marty with battle gear, a mechanical arm and an eye patch walks out of the second portal. He is followed by a large alien being, called the Hammerex. Both Marty’s take notice of one another.
MARTY 1
Hello there; looking good.
MARTY 2
Thank you; you as well. Have fun; watch out for the Jupiter Assassin.
MARTY 1
Will do.
The original Marty disappears through time and both portals vanish. The older, more wise and sinister Marty takes notice of Nikki.
MARTY
Nikki, my love; it’s been far too long. I’ve missed you.
NIKKI
You went through time only to come back?
MARTY
I had to get the training I need to fight your beloved what’s his name. I spent the last seven years learning to fight and even joined in on a war. I have killed many men. And in the process I made a friend. He’s called the Hammerex and he’s not from our universe, in case you’re wondering. (Pause) Now about that kiss I always wanted.
NIKKI
Never.
MARTY
I’ve almost forgotten how difficult you can be. No worries; in time.
He disappears down a hallway, leaving her only to cry.
EXT. STATUE OF LIBERTY. DAY.
Jack, Rick, Mac, Eddie and Wilson are on a ferry that circles the statue of Liberty. They’re all so very fascinated by it. However, Jack remains quietly worried about Nikki.
WILSON
It’s beautiful, isn’t it?
MAC
That it is. We saw it when we got back from the war, but it’s somehow much more special now.
JACK
You changed, is all.
RICK
I guess we all changed.
EXT. TIME’S SQUARE. AFTERNOON.
Jack is depressed and looking around at all of the happy couples and families. Rick joins him.
RICK
Everything’s going to be okay, man.
JACK
I hope you’re right. I just can’t bare the thought of losing her forever to that maniac. Promise me one thing, Rick. Whatever happens, if I die; don’t let him win.
RICK
He isn’t going to win, jack. And you are not going to die. Now come on; we have a few hours left. I think I know just the thing to cheer us all up.
INT. MOVIE THEATRE. NOON
Jack, Rick, Wilson, Mac and Eddie sit in the theatre among a whole crowd of people. Everyone is fascinated by what they are seeing. There are sounds of lasers, ships and explosions. It’s obvious what film it is. It might be historically inaccurate for this film to be viewing at this particular time, but no one seems to care; it’s all fun and games.
WILSON
Wait. Huh?
There’s a big explosion coming from the screen.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Oh...
EXT. EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. 4:45 PM.
Jack, Wilson, Eddie, Mac and Rick head to the Empire State Building. There, Marty and Nikki wait. She is over thrilled when the heroes arrive, but worries knowing the threat.
RICK
Is that him? What happened to the creep?
WILSON
He must have time traveled again. It doesn’t look like he took Nikki along.
JACK
Keep your eyes open, guys.
MARTY
Well, well, well. It looks like the whole gang’s back together. Though I will always hold that long gone day in 1959 deep in my heart, I am excited by what 1978 and the future holds for us.
JACK
If you went to the future, I’m guessing you already know how this plays out.
MARTY
Not really. I went so far ahead that our saga had long been forgotten. Besides, I’m a lot of things, but never a cheater. I want to be surprised just as you all are. And as my first surprise...
The Hammerex drops down from the sky. The heroes are surprised and back up.
EDDIE
What in the hell is that?
MARTY
It is an ally of mine; the alien Hammerex.
The Hammerex attacks the gang. Rick takes it head on, followed by his friends. The creature fights with Rick, Mac Eddie and Wilson all attached to it. Jack runs towards Marty and Nikki.
JACK
Let her go, Marty. Please.
MARTY
I can’t do that, Jack. I had intended for her to watch you die but with your friends keeping the Hammerex busy, I have to just speed things up.
Marty activates a time portal.
MARTY (CONT’D)
You have five minutes to decide. Follow us if you dare.
Marty grabs Nikki and leaps through time again.
JACK
NO!!!
Close by, Wilson is thrown to the ground by the Hammerex.
WILSON
Son of a-
Wilson pulls out the knife that Rick’s Uncle Tic had given him.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Enough! Come on, you creep!
The Hammerex tosses the other three aside and marches towards Wilson who dives right through the air at it, stabbing it in the face. It appears dead. The four friends crowd around in shock and awe.
EDDIE
Well, that wasn’t so bad.
Suddenly it reawakens and grabs Wilson by the throat. The others scream.
WILSON
Damn you, slime bucket!
Wilson begins stabbing the Hammerex repeatedly, slaughtering the creature, again shocking his friends. Wilson stands covered in purple blood.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Well that’s that.
MAC
Wilson, are you okay?
WILSON
Oh yeah. I'm fine, Mac; thanks for asking. So what now?
He and the others look over to see the portal but no Marty and Nikki.
WILSON (CONT’D)
What did I miss?
JACK
They made the jump again. We have to go now before it closes.
RICK
We’re with you this time, Jack.
JACK
No. You can’t go.
EDDIE
What do you mean?
JACK
You three have followed me long enough. You have your own lives now. Go back home to BRIARWOOD and be with the women you love. Trust me, you don’t want to lose that.
MAC
Any idea where this one will lead?
WILSON
No, my friend; Marty has the only way of knowing.
JACK
It’s all up to a leap of faith then.
RICK
Well, wherever you guys pop out at, look us up; maybe we’ll get our happy ending.
MAC
Yeah, we’ll be there. I mean, if you need us for anything.
EDDIE
Yeah, if you need us.
JACK
If I need you? Your my friends; I’ll always need you.
Handshakes go around. When Jack and Rick shake hands they are silent. They smile to each other, knowing that this is goodbye forever. Jack and Wilson approach the portal. Jack looks back one more time.
JACK (CONT’D)
Goodbye.
His friends smile back and wave. Jack and Wilson leap into the portal and it closes behind them.
INT/EXT. TIME VORTEX
Jack and Wilson fall out of the portal, and hit the ground. The portal vanishes and they stand, a bit sore.
WILSON
Rough landing.
They look around to see a place made of nothing but tubes and windows. In these windows are scenes from history.
WILSON (CONT’D)
Where the hell?
JACK
Something tells me we’re in the wrong place.
The Time Keeper appears. He is a mysterious figure, wrapped in cloaks. Each arm has four watches and he keeps several pocket watches, as well.
THE KEEPER
No, you are exactly where you are supposed to be. You are, however, late.
JACK
Oh. Right. And who are you?
THE KEEPER
I am the Keeper of all time. This is the Time Vortex.
WILSON
I don’t know, Jack. He sounds a bit nutty to me.
THE KEEPER
Silence, Mr. Taylor. I can help you both. You seek a girl. She was taken from you?
JACK
That’s right. It’s the woman I love. Someone has taken her and we have chased them across time. What year is it now?
THE KEEPER
There is no year here. Like I said, this is the Vortex. This is where time is kept. Each of these windows represents a moment in history. The tunnels lead to different wormholes in the time continuum.
JACK
Which one do I use to find them?
THE KEEPER
Slow down, my friend. First, there are some things that you must know. First, you were but were not supposed to come here. Both of you are outsiders and therefore can never return to the normal path of time. You must remain here forever. However, you have one shot at saving the girl. There is a shattered window; one that holds many elements of history. It is a dimension where anything and everything all exists at once. The man and woman are there.
JACK
Then there’s no time to waste; let’s go, Wilson.
THE KEEPER
I’m afraid that you must go alone, Mr. Flint.
WILSON
You mean I can’t go with him?
THE KEEPER
This is his purpose. He must do it alone. And know this: you will only have moments before you will be forced back here and you won’t get a second shot. If you do find her, the only way to save her is to kiss her. You must kiss her like it is the last time. There are rules to these sort of things, and love is sort of a get out of jail free card, if you will. Find her, hold her, kiss her and you will return here to remain forever.
JACK
But if I succeed, will Nikki and I be together?
THE KEEPER
I can not say. But any which way, you would have saved her. Is it not worth that?
JACK
Yes it is. Which way do I go?
The Keeper summons a portal.
THE KEEPER
Remember, Mr. Flint; this is a dangerous place that you are going to. Anything and everything will happen. Keep your eyes open.
JACK
I’m not afraid.
THE KEEPER
I would be, if I were you.
WILSON
Good luck, Jack. I’m sorry I can’t go with you.
JACK
You will be with me, Wilson. You and Rick and Eddie and Mac. I’ll always have that. Goodbye.
Jack jumps through the portal.
WILSON
Does he have a chance?
THE KEEPER
Only time will tell.
EXT. TIMES SQUARE/BROKEN TIME ZONE. MID DAY AND NIGHT.
Jack arrives into a war zone. It is both day and night; the sun and moon are both out together. Things happen all around the hero. There are dinosaurs, machines, aliens, monsters, cowboys, Indians, space men, pirates, soldiers, Presidents, artists, etc... All are battling each other in an endless war.
JACK
Holy-
He ducks as a flying man with a rocket pack flies by, almost hitting him. Jack wanders through the chaos, seeing moments of history reenacted, but backwards. A superhero fights an arch nemesis.
JACK (CONT’D)
Flying comic book people. Great.
Jack trips over a giant foot. He looks up to find a Tyrannosaurus Rex looking down at him. It roars and he runs. The giant lizard chases him. He trips, turns and looks up screaming. Just as the lizard bites down at him, a large robot (different than Marty’s robots) attacks the beast. The T-Rex fights back. The machine and the dinosaur battle it out. The machine looks to have the advantage, but Jack doesn’t stick around to watch. He runs off and heads to a bridge that lies over a stream. He crosses but halfway, he comes across Marty, who is holding Nikki by the arm in a rough manner.
MARTY
You found me. So here you are, all alone with no one to help you. It figures, huh? I’ve learned something myself.
Marty tosses Nikki to the ground behind him.
MARTY (CONT’D)
Why did I ever bother with this brat? She’s useless. Who needs a girl like that when I have this place to do whatever, whenever I want.
JACK
Just like that? After everything you’ve done to us, you just toss her aside. You never even cared about her at all.
MARTY
I did once. But now I've learned so much. For instance, this may seem like a science fiction comic book, but it is indeed reality. This, Jack, is the real world. And in the real world, we villains can win. Heroes are nothing more than weak dreamers who find nothing in the end but pain and suffering.
Marty raises his gun at Jack.
MARTY (CONT’D)
What did you learn, Jack?
Jack sees something to the corner of his eye and finds hope for the first time.
JACK
Well, Marty; for one, I learned that villains really do just talk too much. And second, a T-Rex would beat a robot in a fight.
MARTY
What?
A robot’s head flies by and hits Marty, knocking him to the ground. Nikki stands and slowly walks away. As Marty rises, he looks up in terror to find the T-Rex looking down at him.
MARTY (CONT’D)
Of course.
The T-Rex gobbles Marty up to his death and runs off. Jack and Nikki look to each other, realizing that their nightmare might finally be over. She cries.
NIKKI
Jack.
They run to each other but stop as an Atom Bomb drops in the distance, causing a nuclear explosion. They ignore it, grab each other and kiss as passionately as they can. There is a bright light and all fades to white.
INT/EXT. TIME VORTEX
Jack comes to, realizing that he is back in the Time Vortex. The Keeper stands waiting.
THE KEEPER
Welcome back, Mr. Flint.
JACK
I’m back? Did (pause) did it work?
THE KEEPER
I guess you can say that. But as I told you before, as sacrifice to save the one you love and the world you left behind, you must remain here forever.
Jack sighs, takes this in but realizes it was worth it.
JACK
What about my friends?
THE KEEPER
They truly were dear to you?
JACK
They were the best. If it wasn’t for them, I never would have made it.
THE KEEPER
Yes, of course. Your friends found peace after your departure.
A window appears and The Keeper points into it. Through this window, Jack can see his friends, Rick, Eddie and Mac at a dinner table with their families. It is Thanksgiving 1983. Everyone is happy.
THE KEEPER (CONT’D)
Your friends lived many years beyond the moment you see here. As you can tell, each had a family to keep them going through to life’s end.  
JACK
Did they, I mean, did they forget about me?
Silence.
THE KEEPER
No. Rick had a son that he named Jack, after you, and he named his son Jack, as well. The three fathers told stories of you for many years. You were one of their greatest memories.
This brings a bit of peace to Jack. The window vanishes.
JACK
Thank you.
THE KEEPER
You wish to know more?
JACK
Keeper, where is she? Where’s Nikki? Did I save her?
THE KEEPER
You must remain here forever. As I said before, your friend, Wilson Taylor, is trapped, as well. You can keep each other company.
JACK
Please, Keeper, I must know. Did it work? Did I save Nikki?
THE KEEPER
You can take refuge in that empty chamber their.
The Keeper points to an empty structure not far in the distance.
JACK
Is that where Wilson is?
THE KEEPER
That’s where you will find the answers you seek, my friend.
The Keeper leaves Jack. Jack is hesitant but he finally decides to enter the small structure. Inside a hooded figure sits waiting.
JACK
Wilson, is that you?
The figure removes the hood and turns to face him. It is Nikki.
JACK (CONT’D)
Nikki? Is it you? Is it really you?
Nikki remains silent and runs to him. He holds her tightly in his arms, kissing her as if it has been a millennia since he last saw her, which it basically has.
NIKKI
You saved me, my love. Now we can be together forever.
Jack cries with laughter and he holds Nikki tighter than ever. He knows that they will never be apart again. He looks over to see Wilson enter. They both nod and smile to one another. Mission accomplished. Pan out on the three standing together. They may be trapped but their bond will last forever. Fade away into brightness.
EXT. BRIARWOOD 1959. EVENING.
Young Rick, Mac and Eddie walk home from Jacoby’s lab. This is, of course, right after Jack and Wilson entered the first time portal to chase Marty and Nikki. The town is in ruins but the robots are defeated.
EDDIE
What a day, huh?
MAC
You said it, Eddie. At least the robots are gone. The town’s in pretty bad shape though.
EDDIE
I should let my parents know I’m okay.
MAC
Yeah, me too. Do you guys think this plan will work? I mean, do you think Jack and Wilson will be there at the rendezvous point in New York? 1978 is a long time from now.
RICK
Trust me, they’ll be there.
EDDIE
So what do we do until then?
RICK
We live. Trust me guys, this is the beginning of a great adventure.
Pan off to a view of the town, which is wrecked, but remains strong.
FADE OUT.



© 2012 Robert Donald Brooks


Author's Note

Robert Donald Brooks
This is not in perfect screenplay form. I had the real script registered with the WGAw.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

473 Views
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012
Tags: Love Survives Time

Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing