Part Two: The Vengeful Exiled

Part Two: The Vengeful Exiled

A Chapter by Robert Donald Brooks
"

In a place with many secrets, an alliance of unlikely heroes is forming that will decide the fate of the world.

"

                              Part Two:

                       The Vengeful Exiled




                           Miracle Child

 

       In a weird age full of death and psychic happenings, something strange, yet truly wonderful happened to Officer Mackey and his wife, Martha. After years of being unable to have a child, due to difficulties, Martha was pregnant. The next nine months were some of the best and most exciting months of their lives. Martha, Wendy Temple and all of the other wives and mothers of Ellis spent a lot of time together, planning and organizing. The men cheered for Mackey and had one specific night of good drinks and laughter at Mr. Gray’s Bar. After all of the planning, the celebration and the end of the nine months, Martha went into labor while at the town Library. She was taken to Dr. Moss’s office, where the procedure began. Mackey was there in a flash, after learning about it while holding a conversation with Mr. Nacelle and Deputy Pickles at the Myrtle’s Diner. However, he was not aloud inside for the procedure, so he waited outside with Mr. Nacelle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. Gray, Pickles, Wendy and some of the other men and women whom the Mackey’s had known for all of their lives. There were a few frightening complications and a lot of time spent that day but everything went well and Martha gave birth to a baby boy. Everyone was overjoyed to see the baby and Mackey became very proud, realizing he was finally a father. He and his wife had talked a lot about names and in the end decided on Donald, after Mackey’s father.

        One week later, the Mackey’s held a party at their home, just as the Temple’s and the Hall’s had done years before. The McGregor’s stopped by but it proved too hard for them to stay long. This was forgiven. As time went on, the Mackey boy grew and grew and filled his parents with much joy. Unknown to all then, that young Donald had a destiny just like William but it would be a harsh and dark road.                      




                             The Dream

 

       This dream was his first true sign. William awoke in a field of Dandelions, again wearing the same suit he wore to Joseph McGregor’s funeral. The sky was not it’s normal color of blue, red actually. There were whispers in the wind and a smell from the past. William thought he had been sleepwalking again but that didn’t explain the change in the sky’s color. He stood and looked around at this strange location. It was unlike anything he had seen before. The Dandelions seemed to go on for miles. “Which way should I go?” he thought to himself. Ellis could be in any direction and if he chose the wrong one, he could wind up even farther from home. He chose one, hoping he was right and stuck to it. It seemed like he had gone on for miles, without a sign of it ending. He realized that maybe he had chosen the wrong path, so he had to go back to where he started and choose a different way. At least he could take the trail he made all the way back. But when he turned around he realized that there was no trail. He nearly broke down in tears but then he realized screaming wouldn’t save him. So he took off in the same direction he had been going before. After about another hour, he came upon an unfamiliar sight. There was a scarecrow posted up in the distance. He had no idea who could have put a scarecrow up all the way out there. When he went to investigate it, he realized that it had a human face. It even resembled someone he had known. They looked as if they were sleeping.

       “Hello, there,” William called to the Scarecrow. “Can you hear me?”

       “Of course I can hear you,” it answered. “You’re standing right in front of me.”

       “Oh, right.”

       “Are you lost?”

       “Yes, sir. I woke up in this field of Dandelions and can’t find my way out.”

       “Dandelions? What Dandelions? All I see are trees.”

       “Trees? No, there’s…” William turned and looked around and to his amazement, he realized he had now been in a forest. “I don’t understand. How did I get here?”

       “The world has a funny way of messing with our minds. For instance, you haven’t even realized who I look like?”

       “You do look familiar actually.”

       “But you can’t place it? Do you recall the name, Joseph McGregor?”

       “Joseph? How? Is it really you?”

       “I don’t really know. All I can remember is being up here for what seems to be forever.”

       “Why are we here? What is going on?”

       “I’m here to warn you, little brother. Listen to everything Willard Kelley tells you. It’s all true.”

       “I’ve been spending a lot of time with him, talking over these things. Edward has been there too. I’m trying to go along with it all but I just can’t believe any of it. I’m no hero, Joseph.”

       “You are more than you expect, William. You just have to accept it. People will die before it is over. The evil will come after you too. It will kill anything in its sight. You have to defeat this enemy. You have to win.”

       “But why me? I don’t want this responsibility.”

       “No one does. But no one else was given this responsibility. Now go, William. It’s time to wake up.”

       “What?”

       “Wake up, William.”

       William fell backwards but there was no ground to fall on. He dropped down a very deep and dark hole into nothing, screaming Joseph’s name half way down. He was surrounded by darkness. There was nothing. Then he saw them: images that flashed before his eyes. Some he understood, some he didn’t. He saw his mother, baking in the kitchen, his father coming home to comfort her. Edward and Amelia were sitting by the river, holding hands and dreaming up their destinies together. Willard Kelley was doomed. Evil surrounded him but what would this mean? Ronald Payne was all alone and afraid. Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles were together, in the middle of an investigation. Carl, the town drunk, had no one. He sat in the cold, all alone. Father West was performing one big funeral, for thirty graves. The Warlock was being hunted. Chris Norton was covered in blood, but who’s. Myra Wilson, William’s girlfriend, was crying. Joseph McGregor was still dead. The skies rained red. The streets flooded with blood. Ellis was dying. When it was all over, there was only darkness. William hit the ground hard and then came to.

       William woke up in his own bed, covered in sweat and filled with fear. Realizing it was only a dream, he then knew that he was in no true harm. Ellis was perfectly fine, for now. But what if it was all true after all? Was everything that he saw, all of those images, were they true? Were those things going to happen? Was Ellis doomed? William headed over to the Inn that afternoon to talk to Willard. He found Ronald Payne at the entrance.

       “Well, well, well...” Ronald said, “what have we here? Headed to grandma’s house?”

       “Not now, Mr. Payne,” William sneered. “I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

       “Please, Mr. Payne was my father. You can call me Ronald but not Ronnie. You looking for that Willard guy? He’s just up in his room.”

       “I figured that, thanks.” William dashed past Ronald and headed up to Willard’s room. Ronald just stood there and hated himself for being a bit rude. “That, Ronald, is why you don’t have any friends,” he told himself.

 

       William told Willard everything that had happened in his dream. Everything he said seemed familiar to Willard. Willard was a bit overjoyed by this. Finally, after trying to get William to understand everything he was saying, he now knew and understood it. Now it was up to them to make it all right. They met with Edward later in the afternoon and together the three friends tried to analyze the dream. None of it made any sense, however. What did Ronald Payne, Father West, Officer Mackey and all the others have to do with it? What was with Chris Norton being covered in blood? Was he going to hurt someone? Was he a bad guy? Only time would answer their questions. They knew they had a long road ahead of them and all they could do for the time being was to prepare themselves.




                             Girl Talk

 

       William Temple’s girlfriend and one true love, Myra Wilson, was beginning to get a bit suspicious of William spending so much time with Willard Kelley, the stranger who had come into town in recent months. This bothered her best friend, Amelia, as well. She had been dating William’s best friend, Edward, and it seemed like all three boys were spending more time together than necessary. The girls were, admittedly, a bit jealous. They had to figure out what had been going on. They found the time to make conversation one day in the park, when the guys were off doing whatever it was that they did.

       “It doesn’t make any sense,” Myra started, “None of it. Why are they spending so much time with that guy? Who is he?”

       “No one in town really knows,” Amelia answered. “He just showed up and things have been off ever since.”

       “William met him that day he had slept walked all the way out of town. That’s when this guy showed up. Something’s going on. I’m going to find out what it is.”

        “I just love Edward so much. I don’t think he even realizes how much. I don’t want to lose him. You don’t think something’s going to happen do you?”

       “I don’t know. I don’t want to lose William either. I’ve already lost my father. I don’t want to lose the man I love too.”

       “You won’t, Myra. And I won’t lose Edward. We can’t give up on them. We have to figure this all out.”

       “But how? It’s not like they’ll tell us.”

       “Then maybe we’ll have to force it out of them. Threaten them somehow.”

       “How will we do that?”

       “I don’t know. We’ll have to figure that one out.

       “You mean threaten to leave them? I can’t do that.”

       “I know…I can’t either.”

       “Then what do we do?”

       “I guess…we just trust them. I guess we just hope for the best.”

       “That’s it?”

       “That’s all we can do.”

       “I guess I understand. Maybe in time, they’ll even tell us.”

       “Maybe.”

       There was a long silence between the two friends. Myra and Amelia had known each other all of their lives. They shared everything together, every secret. This was the first time they had nothing left to say. The two had no idea what their boyfriends were up to and it was probably better that way. The evils coming to Ellis would affect them in many ways. This was only the beginning. And so the girls decided that maybe it was time to get going. It was getting kind of late and there were rumors that someone had allegedly seen the Warlock roaming in those parts over the course of the month, none of it true. When the girls got back, they both separated with a hug, and went on their ways, to meet with the men that they loved.




                  The Doomed Willard Kelley

 

       To understand Willard, you’d have to go back to the beginning when he was only a child. His mother had died when he was only thirteen. She was the only person who ever loved him and he loved her. Her loss affected him for the rest of his life. He was left in the care of a drunk and hateful excuse for a father. The old man would get drunk and smack Willard around as often as possible.  Willard would always remember one such occasion, when his father actually didn’t even use physical abuse on him. He instead used harsh words. He said, “You don’t stand a chance in this world, boy. You just don’t have what it takes. You’re just like me. You’re doomed. And you’ll always let down all those who may depend on you. Because you, Willard Kelley, will never be a great man.” Willard listened carefully to the things his father was saying. He feared that this man who should have loved him as his father, instead of forsaking him, might have been right. The words seemed to tear right through him but he had no physical reaction. He had cried all of the tears he had left over the years and nothing he did could change things. He took everything his father told him to heart.

         Willard had no friends. No girls loved him. If it weren’t for the dreams, he would almost believe everything his father had told him was true. He’d dream of what seemed to be another world, maybe even another time. There would be people he never knew and talk of good and evil. There was light and darkness. Things would burn. People would cry. Lives were torn. Children would die. He couldn’t get these images out of his head. Something bad was going to happen, he just knew it. One morning, he awoke to discover that he had written specific times, dates, and locations on a sheet of paper with an oil crayon, while he was sleeping. He had no idea what it all meant and wisely kept it to himself. From there on out he began to be at the right location at the right time on the right day, afterwards checking each off. There were only fifteen on the list and before he knew it he was already halfway through. Unfortunately, there was much sacrifice made along the way. His father was killed in a fire, while he was away on one of his destinations and his home was lost. His journeys took him far away after this and he even ended up out of state, into an area along the border of Georgia and Florida.

      He found himself on the outskirts of a little town called Ellis. He sat at the bench he knew he was supposed to be at and waited since he was twenty minutes early. It was there that he met William Temple who had slept walk all the way outside of town. He recognized the young man from his dreams but William denied being a hero. He said that he did what anyone would do but Willard knew that wasn’t true. After all, how many people would risk everything to jump into a burning house to save children? Most may even let them burn but not William. He saved them. He was a hero, whether he liked it or not.

       After he and William parted ways, Willard found himself renting a room at the town’s Inn and made a place for himself in Ellis. The only problem was the other hotel attendant, Ronald Payne. They showed no liking to one another and kept their distance. After a time, Willard befriended William and Edward Hall and explained everything to William, who didn’t believe him at first. After much effort, he had finally convinced William that everything he told him was true and they both realized that they were supposed to meet. They were supposed to do something, but what?

       The rest of the list seemed to be keeping him there in Ellis, but what did it all mean? And as he neared the end of the list, Willard began to worry about what he’d find. What would happen at the end?       Unfortunately, only time would tell and he had enough of that. At least he had finally found friends there in Ellis, whatever good it would do him. He had a destiny and he would see it through no matter what the cost. He knew what it was the right thing to do. For that is sacrifice. And sacrifice is what makes a great man.




                        The Birth Of Fear

 

       It happened on a Sunday evening after church. Father West had been upset all day, ever since he had woken from his sleep. He had barely even made it through his routine. He had the nagging feeling that something bad was going to happen. Carl was hearing voices. He knew everything was not going to be all right. He had been very ill over recent days, and his nightmares were growing darker. He didn’t know what to do or who to tell. He feared that something bad was going to happen. Other than it’s color, which was red, it seemed normal just like any other storm cloud. It hovered over Ellis and covered it in darkness. But it was no normal storm cloud. There was evil at work that day. The thunder sounded more unusual, more frightening. There was no lightning. The town’s people all stood outside, gazing up. They could all feel in their hearts that things were about to turn ugly.

       Willard Kelley was having a rough day enough as it was. He had met a new date, time and location on his list. This time he was supposed to be at the farthest north of Ellis by three and he had to wait there but for what? Now this storm was coming and he would probably be rained on. He didn’t care, however. He just got ready and headed on his way.

       It was not the rain of the earth that came down on Ellis that day. It was red, like blood. Then the citizens of Ellis realized it was blood. It was covering the streets, oozing down the buildings. People were drenched in it. Carl began to panic, as he was covered in the blood. He headed right for the church, the only place he knew he would be safe from this unholy nightmare. But to his fright, the church was covered too. This was not an ordinary evil. He headed inside and found Father kneeling and praying.

       “I told you,” Carl said. “I told you this would happen. You didn’t believe me. The Angel told me.”

       “Enough,” Father West demanded. “You could not see that this was coming. This is something else.”

       “There’s so many of them that are still out there. They‘re all going to die!”

       “No one’s going to die,” William Temple said as he led his mother, Wendy, his girlfriend, Myra, his best friend, Edward, Edward’s girlfriend, Amelia, and all of their families inside. “Me and Edward are going to lead them all inside to safety. Father, can you get some towels?”

       “Of course, young William,” Father West answered.

       The women and families said their goodbyes to William and Edward and the two headed out to save everyone. Outside, the old friends were surrounded by utter chaos. There was screaming and crying. Finally William shouted, “Everyone into the church!” Being the hero that he was, William Temple knew he had to act fast. He began gathering everyone together, including Ronald Payne who one would figure to try to keep to himself. He however did as he was told this time. People were slipping and falling in the blood. After much pain and hardship, everyone made it inside. Every one thanked William and Edward and there was much unity in the church. Even Ronald gave his gratitude. William Temple proved his heroism that day but would never admit it to himself. If only Willard could see this, but where was Willard?

      

       The rain wasn’t enough to scare Willard Kelley away from what he must do. He had sat in the monstrosity for twenty minutes, waiting for whatever he was supposed to find there. It wasn’t what he expected. The blue haired young man seemed to have come out of nowhere. Willard stood and then was punched in the face. The stranger dragged him to the ground and began kicking him repeatedly. Once he was beaten, the stranger knew he could back away and say what he had to say without harm.

       “This is the beginning,” the Stranger said. “Our time has come, Messenger. You will not stand in our way or we will kill you too. You’d best leave this town and never come back or you will die as one of them.”

       As fast as he had appeared, he had disappeared without a trace. Willard stood, in pain. He looked around, but his attacker was nowhere in sight. Willard was all alone out there.

      

       The rain of blood ended after an hour. The streets were flooded with it. The people returned to the streets and found that the sky had returned to normal, and it was even now sunny out. William led everyone back out of the church and they all went on their way to their homes. There was a lot of work and cleaning to be done and they had best get started.

       Now alone, Father West could finally say what had to be said to Carl.       “You were right, Carl,” he said. “I’ve known you were right about the Angel for a while now. You were not the only one to come to me with a problem. The young boy, Billy Partridge, you know, the one who died, he came to me with a problem. He told me that evil was coming to Ellis. He said we were all doomed.”

       “Did you believe him?” Carl asked.

       “Not at first but then a series of events and dreams began to unfold before me. I believe your Angel and everything the boy told me are connected. Now I know what I must do.”

       “What about me?”

       “It all depends, Carl.”

       “Depends on what, Father?”

       “On you. I believe that what happened today was a sign of what’s to come. I believe it means that much blood will be spilt. I wish I could have believed the boy back when he warned me. Maybe he’d still be alive. Or maybe he’d still be dead, I don’t know. All I know is with all of this and everything he told me, I can never forget the boy and what I know is coming. So tell me, Carl. Have you forgotten?” Carl looked to him straight in the eye and realized then how serious the preacher was.       

 

       William and Edward had wondered where Willard had been during the storm. They decided to get cleaned up and changed, then meet at the Inn to see him. They found him in his room, beaten up and bloodied. But it wasn’t the blood from the storm. It was his blood. They immediately became worried.

       “Willard!” Edward shouted.

       “What happened?” William asked.

       “I had to head to the farthest north of Ellis, it was the next location on my list. A man with blue hair attacked me. He beat me. He told me that if I didn’t leave, that I would die along with the rest of you. But I will not leave, William.”

       “What happened to the guy?” William asked.” Where did he go?”

       “I don’t know he just vanished.”

       “What are we going to do, guys?” Edward asked.

       “I don’t know, Edward,” Willard answered. “All I know is that whoever these people are, they will make their first move soon.”

       “People?” William asked.

       “What people?” Edward continued.

       “I don’t know, guys,” Willard answered. “And William…I only have one date left on my list.

       The three became silent. Fear began to fill William. Whatever fate had in store for Willard, they were about to find out. Unfortunately, there were no further dates to be added.

  



                               Orientation

 

       William Temple loved his mother very much. After his father left them, she worked hard to make ends meet and give William everything he needed in life. Wendy Temple was a woman who would sacrifice anything to help her son and make him happy. When she realized that something had been bothering him, she knew the time for them to talk had come but recent events got her a bit side tracked. When the time seemed right, she called him into the kitchen and the two sat down at the table to converse on the current events.

       “Things have been hard lately, I know,” Wendy said. “Things are rough all over. With what happened the other day… things I’ve heard, your new friend...”

       “Willard, mom,” William said. “His name is Willard. Don’t worry, everything’s fine.”

       “I’m not so sure about that. Things don’t seem so fine at all anymore. I talked with Myra, William. I know about you sleepwalking. I know you two are having difficulties.”

       “Everything’s fine with me and Myra. And I know things are weird but it will go back to normal soon.”

       “William, it rained blood. The streets were flooded with it. That kind of thing is not normal. Sounds like a sign of the apocalypse, if you ask me.”

       “There’s not going to be an apocalypse. I promise you.”

       “William, what’s going on? What’s happening to you?”

       William sighed and remained silent for a few seconds. “Mom, what if you knew things; things that were going to happen, and you were going to play a big part in them?”

       “What are you talking about?”

       “Nothing, mom. All I know is that things may not be all right but they could be a lot worse. You just have to trust me, mom. Things are going to work out in the end.”

       There was silence now. It seemed to go on for an eternity. Wendy reached over to her son, rubbing his face, and got all teary eyed. “I love you, William.”

       “I know, mom. I love you too.”

       “Then why won’t you let me help you?”

       “Because you’ve done enough for me mom. I have to do this alone…without you this time.”

        Silence. “My handsome boy. You look and talk strong, like your father.”

        “The same father that abandoned us?”

        “I know how you feel about that. I feel it too. But I have to wonder…I have to hope that maybe there was a good cause for him to leave.”

        There’s no reason, mom. He was a slime ball.”

       “Oh, William. One day you’ll understand.”

       The two sat in silence for a few more minutes. After a hug and a goodbye, William headed over to the Inn to see Willard. He didn’t expect to find Edward there, as well.

       “William,” Willard said, happy to see his friend, “How’s it going, buddy? We were just talking about you.”

       “Hello, guys,” William said. “I came to say goodbye. If things don’t go the way I hope, you may not see me again.”

       “What do you mean?” Edward asked.

       “I just had a conversation with my mother. We talked about some things and she thinks that I need help but I just can’t tell her the truth. I realized at this point there’s only one person who may be able to answer some questions. I’m going back out to the forbidden woods and I’m going to find the Warlock. Maybe he can help me.”

       “I’ll come with you, William,” Edward offered.

       “Not this time, Edward,” William declined. “This time you have to stay.”

       “It’s dangerous going out there alone,” Willard said. “What if you’re cornered by that guy that ambushed me?”

       “I doubt he’ll be in the woods. Besides, the Warlock knows I’m coming anyways. He’ll protect me.” William smiled as he left, but his friends doubted his plan. Only in time, would they know the outcome. “Goodbye, my friends.”

       It had been a few years since William’s last meeting with the Warlock. It had not been what he expected. Now he wondered what would be in store for him this time. He worried that it would take him a long while to find the Warlock, but he found it wouldn’t take as long as he feared. After about twenty minutes of hiking, the Warlock seemed to have appeared as if on cue.

       “Welcome back, William,” the Warlock said, “it’s been a long time.”

       “Hello, Warlock,” William said with pride. “I’ve come to talk.”

       “Well I can see that but I’m still a little surprised to see you. It has been a few years now.”

       “A few years too long without the answers that I need.”

       “I see. So you’re here for some answers.”

       “No, I’m here for all of them.”

       “All of them?”

       “That’s right. I want to know everything: Who you are, why I’m here, what is happening and a whole lot more. I want to know why it rained blood and who attacked my friend. Most of all, I want to know what this evil that is said to be coming to Ellis really is. I want the answers I deserve.”

       “Well, I’m afraid it’s not that easy, William. I can’t tell you everything you want to know. But I’ll do my best to answer what I can, so I’ll begin with a little about me. I am, as you know, the Ellis Warlock. I’ve been here a long time but unlike you I was not born here on these lands. I left my home a long time ago. My family and I came across these lands where…we came across people we should never have met. My family was taken from me and I was cursed with immortality. I made a home for myself but I was banished away when your ancestors arrived. I’ve been out here for a long time. Like you, I want to get away. I want to be free again and see what comes next. I never hurt anyone; I took the blame for the actions of a monster. I am as innocent as you are. But unlike you, I know what evil is coming to Ellis.”

       “Then tell me, who they are. What do they want?”

       “They want Ellis.”

       William took a moment to think about this. “And why do they want Ellis?” he asked.

       “They want back what they believe is rightfully theirs,” the Warlock answered. “They want to reclaim Ellis as theirs.”

       “I don’t understand. How could it be theirs? Ellis is our home.”

       “It all goes back to the beginning, to the Great Split. I can’t explain it all to you now. All I can tell you is that the ones who were sent away are back and they want to make Ellis their home again. And they’ll kill everyone that stands in their way. That is all I can say.”

       “I see,” William said, believing very little of this. “So the guy who attacked my friend, the day it rained blood, I suppose he was one of them?”

       “I believe so, yes. Whoever this blue haired young man is, he’s filled with rage and is seen to be just as important on their side as you are on ours.”

       “Ours?” Pause. “So you’re telling me that you’re a good guy. You’ve never killed anyone in your whole life?”

       “The stories people say about me just aren’t true. Like I said, I’ve never hurt anyone. It all started with the Beast.”

       “The Beast? What is that?”

       “He lived in these woods before me. When the man who cursed me left, he sent some animal of his creation into the woods to keep people away. Then when I escaped into these woods to avoid the immigrants, it attacked me but I used my skills against him. From then on out, we kept our distances, never to cross each other. But he kept killing. The first to die was a teenage boy. He came out to these woods to prove his courage and was murdered by the Beast. As you can suspect, I took the blame. Many more were killed over the years and everyone continued to believe that I was the one to do these unspeakable things.”

       “What happened to this Beast? Why didn’t he kill Edward, Chris and me all those years ago? Where is it now?”

       “I killed it a long time ago. That’s why no one has died out here in years. That’s why things have been so quiet for me for so long. Well, besides you…and there was that rock star fellow.”

       “You mean Scott Cruise? You mean you didn’t kill him?”

       “No, he died naturally. Well as naturally as anyone has out here. His friends took him back. He’s better off now.”

       “I bet…so what about the blood? You want to tell me that that wasn’t you that made it rain blood?”

       “I’ve done many things. I’ve shown people their destinies, I’ve fought evil, I even showed people signs of what’s to come, one time in the form of an angel but I’ve never done any evil acts.”

       “Well then who did create the blood storm?”

       “No one created it. It was caused by grief and anger. These bad people, the ones who want Ellis back, their numbers make up one big army. They have made an allegiance with some unknown force and they intend to do their part, whatever it may be in many years to come. They are very powerful people.”

       “Yeah, I get your point.”

       “You do not seem as interested in me as you were as a child.”

       “I grew up.”

       “I guess. In these newer times, you seem more troubled. More afraid.”

       “Well I met that guy, Willard, who keeps telling me I have this great destiny to be a hero and all that bull. How would you feel?”

       Chuckles a bit. “I get that. I feel your pain everyday.”

       “Then you know how angry I am. My father left me, I’m supposed to be this great leader and I don’t want any part in it. I just want to be happy and one day marry the girl I love.”

       “Myra, I remember.”

       “That’s right. By the way tell me something. If you know so much about me, then you must know something about my father, right?”

       “This has bothered you for a while, huh? Not knowing where he went, never knowing if he ever truly loved you. But I’m afraid I can’t tell you anything about your father.”

       “Why not? Why can’t you?”

       “Because it’s not as simple as you’d think it is. You’ll have to find all of that out over time; a lot of it on your own.”

       “Of course I will.”

       “Look William, I promise you…you will find out everything you want to know one day. Maybe even sooner than you think.”

       William sighed, thinking this over. He knew he wasn’t going to get any real answers from the Warlock, so he should just move on for the time being. “Yeah, well I figure that. Guess I should get going. It seems I’ve wasted a trip.” William turned away in disappointment, but was stopped by the Warlock.

       “Hey William….” William turned to face the Warlock. “One day, not too long from now, you’ll understand. Until then, remember that I’ll be watching over you, my friend.”

       “Are we friends?” William asked.

       “Yeah William, we’re friends.” William departed and the Warlock was left alone in the darkness, only to say under his breath, “More than you know.”

       William returned to Ellis and met with Edward and Willard to talk about his meeting with the Warlock. The three friends talked everything over, before he went on his way to see Myra. But to his amazement, his girlfriend was not at her house, so he headed home. When he arrived, he found his mother, asleep, still at the kitchen table. He kissed her lightly on the forehead, causing her to call out some words from her sleep. “Oh, Gulliver,” she whimpered, “He needs you. I need you.”

       William sat down and sighed. In all of his frustration and all of his anger and fear, he forgot to realize that when his father left, he had not just hurt William. He had hurt the woman who loved him, as well. The years had come and gone since Gulliver Temple left Ellis but there were still wounds that needed to heal. William had a long way to go.

 



                          The Nightmare

 

       Chris Norton woke up in a dark cabin. There was murder all around him, blood and decay, the screams of a thousand broken innocents and he was happy about it. Outside the cabin, was a field of Dandelions and there was a young man with blue hair, who set fire to them. Within moments, the whole field was torched. The blue haired guy laughed like the devil. It began raining blood, which caused the fire to end. Chris became covered in the red liquid and he smiled, looking up at the sky it was falling from and enjoying it. He then found himself falling into a bloody abyss, surrounded by visions from the world he knew and hated. He saw the blue haired boy laughing while engaging in battle with a faceless enemy, who almost seemed familiar. He saw his father, who abandoned him. He knew that one day they would meet again. He saw Myra Wilson…dead. Amelia Dillon...dead. Willard Kelley, the stranger whom William Temple had befriended, was doomed. Edward Hall was fighting to the death. Faces from around Ellis, Father West, Officer Mackey and more were burning. Then there was William Temple, fighting with all he had in him, being the hero that Chris hated so much. He knew that one day the two would battle and he would have to kill the enemy.

       When Chris finally hit the ground, he awoke covered in sweat. He immediately wished that the dream had been reality. Instead, he was in the same boring old town and hated just the same. But things were different now. It was at that time that he began to believe that something was going to happen and he was going to be a big part of it. His mother, Elvira would never understand and there was no one to talk to, so he kept it to himself and waited. If some big bad evil was coming to Ellis, then it was up to him to welcome and lead it. And when that day came, Chris just knew that William Temple and all that he loved would come to an end.

 



                             The Council

 

       At this point, I think maybe it’s time I told you a little bit more about the Council of Ellis and what it stands for. As I was saying earlier, it was made up of important town figures and they met in times of great need. The recent event, being that the sky rained blood onto Ellis, had caused an emergency meeting of the council on what it could all mean Just a reminder, at the point in time when our story takes place, it consisted of the secretive Mayor Templeton, Father West, Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, Mr. And Mrs. Myrtle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. and Mrs. Nacelle, Mr. Grey, Mr. Dillon, Mr. McGregor, and Dr. Moss. As you may recall, they have unfortunately lost Mr. Wilson since I last told you about the council. It was Father West who feared the worst. He tried to explain to them about what he had learned from Mr. Myrtle’s deceased adopted son, Billy Partridge, among other things. There was much dispute among the council and these things about Billy angered Mr. Myrtle, who then had no way of understanding, quite a bit.

       “So you’re saying that this all happened because of our Billy?” Mr. Myrtle asked in outrage.

       “No not at all,” Father West answered. “I’m saying he knew it was coming. He tried to warn me about everything but I didn’t listen soon enough. Unfortunately it wasn’t until… I just realized the truth too late.”

       “Of course! It’s always lies with you!”

       “Mr. Myrtle,” Mayor Templeton called out (the townspeople rarely used first names). “I understand your pain. You and your wife tried a very long time to have a child of your own and when you did finally adopt one, he died at an age anyone will say is too young. There have been a lot of misfortunes. Mr. McGregor himself lost his boy.”

       “That’s right,” Mr. McGregor continued. “It was the hardest time in my life. I never saw my wife cry so hard.”

       “And don’t forget about Mr. Wilson, the grocer,” the Mayor went on. “He was one of us, a council member. He died, leaving behind a wife and daughter.”

       “Myra,” Mr. Dillon added. “She and my Amelia are very close.”

       “And we could go on forever,” Mayor Templeton said. “We’ve all lost someone close to us. I feel for your losses but we can’t let it divide this council in two.”

       “I agree,” Dr. Moss said. “For now, we must talk about these recent events and decide what we should do.”

       “The sky turned red and it rained blood,” Mr. Albertan joined in. “How much more do we need to discuss it?”

       “If Ellis is truly doomed, as you say father west,” Mr. Grey added to what his friend said, “Then it seems that the time is near.”

       “I do not know what is in store for our town,” Father West said, “but I do know that whatever it is, we should either stand and fight or leave forever.”

       “Leave Ellis?” Mrs. Nacelle asked.

       “Don’t worry, dear,” Mr. Nacelle said to calm his wife. “I could never imagine it.”

       “I’ll do what I have to,” Mr. Albertan declared, “whatever you all ask of me.”

       “Same here,” Mr. Grey agreed.

       “All for one…” Mr. Nacelle whispered, almost expecting one of his oldest friends, Mr. Grey or Mr. Albertan, to finish the old saying.

       “So we stand and fight?” Officer Mackey asked sharply, breaking his silence. “I hear all of these opinions, I hear what you’re all considering and I tell you none of you have the slightest idea how to fight whatever it is that’s coming. Not even for what’s yours. You all forget, with all of these people you mentioned that died, Deputy Pickles and I were always the first on the scene.”

       “That’s right,” Deputy Pickles jumped in. “Every time.”

       “So between these deaths and it raining apocalyptic blood…” Officer Mackey went on, “I fear for whatever worst can happen. And I hope when its time to fight, you all will know what’s right.”

       “Thank you, Mackey,” the mayor said. “That’s what makes you the best cop I know.”

       “Cut the jokes, Mayor,” Mackey shot back. “Me and Pickles here are the only cops you know. I just hope you all think about what I’m saying here today.”

       There was much silence in the room. After a moment’s time, it was agreed that the council should run an investigation and prepare for an emergency, setting up drills and procedures. The Council had become paranoid. It wasn’t what Father West had hoped for at all. One day this council would learn the truth and realize that their decision would affect all of Ellis. One day they would know what had to be done and what it would cost them. But until then, they had their own demons to battle and what a mighty battle it would be.

 



                           A Dark Meeting

 

       It took some time but the day finally arrived for Chris Norton to reunite with his father and meet his new family. It was then that he would begin his true destiny. He had received a letter with a no return address about a month after the blood storm-incident. All it said was that he needed to go out past the town’s borders and wait for the car to come pick him up. He reluctantly did as he was told and was almost shocked to see that this car actually arrived. The driver was quiet and kept their destination a mystery but Chris was both relieved and shocked when he realized that they had arrived where they were going within minutes, not far from Ellis at all. It was an interesting little village, made up of about fifteen cabins. Immediately after exiting the car, he was greeted by a man in a black suit and tie.

       “Hello, Christopher Norton, right?” the man asked. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. You can call me, Mr. Dawson.” The man held out his hand and Chris hesitated before shaking it.

       “Hello, Mr. Dawson,” Chris replied. “Where are we?”

       “This is our home, pal. But it’s also where we work.”

       “Work?”

       “Yes, Christopher. Come on inside and we’ll find your father.”

       “My father? Why the hell would I want to see him?”

       “Come on, Christopher, you don’t mean that. You shouldn’t be angry with him. You don’t know how much he’s sacrificed for you. What he had to give.”

       “And what did he give?”

       Long pause. “Follow me, Chris. He wants to see you.”

       Mr. Dawson led Chris into one of the cabins, where Roger Norton was sitting in front of a lit fireplace. When he saw his son, Roger stood and smiled, a bit ashamed. “Hello, son,” he said. “Welcome home.”

       “Home, dad?” Chris asked sharply. “This is not my home. Ellis is my home and it’s yours too.”

       There was an awkward silence. “I’ll just leave the two of you alone,” Mr. Dawson said as he exited the cabin, shutting the door behind himself. There was a continuing silence until Chris broke it.

       “Where are we really at, dad?” he tried again, hoping for a real answer. He looked his father deep in the eyes, wondering if he would even get an answer. “And what is going on? Why did you bring me here?”

       “In time, son,” Roger started, “you will know everything. You will know your true purpose.”

       “And what is that?

       “I can’t tell you.”

       “And why not?”

       “Because, Chris, you just wouldn’t understand.”

       “Try me, pop. Tell me what is going on. Now.”

       “It’s a long story and not an easy one to follow, I’m afraid.”

       “I’m all ears, dad.”

       “Well I guess you’re ready. I do owe you something. Where to begin…”

       “The start. Tell me the truth.”

       Roger thought this over. “Well for starters, you were born in Ellis, but I wasn’t. My family came to Ellis when I was very young.”

       “I already know that.”

       “But you don’t know why. We were sent here. These people, the ones who brought us here, they are our people. We are all the descendents of the families who were exiled from Ellis all those years ago, by Hector C. Gold.

       “Why did they send you?”

       “They sent me to begin our invasion. Our purpose was to build a life of our own in the town and get everything there is to know about these people, whose ancestors damned us. Soon their hero, the only one strong enough to lead them and stop us, will die but before that task is done, our friends will lead us back to Ellis and we will reclaim it as our own. Anyone who tries to stop us, or simply wont leave, will be killed.”

       “And who is this friend?”

       “Our leader, son. He is a great man, a true leader. He will forever guide us and we will make Ellis everything you could ever dream of. You must join us, Christopher. You must help me. Together, we will make our enemies pay.”

       This was all hard for Chris to understand but he had another important question for his father; one he had to force out. “Why did you leave me dad?”

       “It was my time to leave. I had to report back to our friend. He has great plans for you too, son. There isn’t any time to waste. Will you join us? Will you be the man I know you were meant to be?”

       “How do I know I can trust you dad? After all, I was born in Ellis. Will you end up killing me too? And what about mom?”

       “I’m afraid that will be up to her. She was born in Ellis, like you. I hope she will join us. When the time comes, she will have to decide. But if she chooses against us, I don’t think I can help her.”

       Chris took a moment to swallow this idea. “Tell me dad, what joy could I have in all of this? I am as cruel as you are and I would like to see Ellis fall but what’s in it for me?”

       “Why son, you’ve got the best job. You’re the one who gets to kill the hero.”

       “And who is this hero?”

       “Only someone you’ve hated your whole life; someone you have always wanted to see fall. That’s the best part, you see. You get to kill your greatest rival; your greatest enemy.” It then occurred to Chris who it was that he must kill. He sighed, with a moment of silence, then uttered out, “William.”

       “That’s right son,” Roger answered. “Join us and you’ll finally get to kill William Temple.”

       Chris laughed. “Now how could I ever say no to that.”

       This made Roger a very happy man. His son had joined the exiled and was finally where he belonged. Soon the first step would be made and the final battle would begin. Christopher Norton would kill William Temple and then Ellis would fall. Chris’s dream had come true.

 



                            The Last Date

 

       Willard Kelley was just about to reach the last date on his list, when he began to feel that he was nearing The End. Something was going to happen to him, he just knew it. All he could think of was the words that his long dead father had said to him, so long before. “You don’t stand a chance in this world, boy. You just don’t have what it takes. You’re just like me. You’re doomed. And you’ll always let down all those who may depend on you. Because you, Willard Kelley, will never be a great man.” He said this often, almost like it was practiced and recited. Willard often cried when he thought of this. However, no matter how much he dreaded this, he knew what he had to do. He had a long trip ahead of him but he couldn’t leave without saying goodbye to William Temple. He had formed a strong fellowship with William and his life long friend, Edward Hall, and knew he couldn’t leave without telling William how he felt about all of this.

      William awoke in his room and found Willard sitting at the foot of his bed. At first, he was shocked but then realized his friend was troubled. “Willard? What are you doing here?”

       “Hello, William,” Willard answered. “Sorry to wake you. I was a little hesitant about this at first but I just couldn’t leave without saying goodbye.”

       “Goodbye? What are you talking about?”

       “I’m leaving, William, and I don’t know if I’m ever coming back.”

       “What do you mean? Where are you going?”

       “I’ve reached the last date on my list. It’s leading me outside of Ellis, somewhere just a little past where we first met.”

       “What do you think is going to happen?”

       “I don’t know. I’m hoping that maybe I will finally get some answers. Maybe we’re about to find out what it all means.”

       “Do you think that guy with the blue hair will be waiting for you?”

       “I hope not. Who knows, maybe it will be someone to give me further instructions. Maybe I’ll get a new list.”

       “I’ll come with you.”

       “No. If anything does happen to me, I’ll need you here. You have to promise me that you won’t come after me, William. Don’t come after me; too much depends on you.”

       “Listen to me, Willard. If anything happens, anything at all, get out of there and get back here as soon as possible. We’ll take care of it together. Promise me you’ll come back for help.”

       “I’ll do whatever I have to. Goodbye, my friend. I hope we meet again. Give my best to Edward.”

       Willard departed from William’s house and headed off towards the down town area of Ellis. On his way out of town, he crossed paths with Chris Norton, who seemed to see right through him. For a moment, he felt that maybe Chris knew or was up to something but realized that this was impossible. He just brushed it off. He marched on for the next couple of hours, weighed down with dread. He hoped that something good would come of it. He hoped that he would have a part to play in the future of Ellis but he felt in his heart that his end had come. He knew that he was going to die. He was sweaty and all tired out by the time he reached his destination, somewhere deep in the woods. No one was around; he was all alone. Other than trees, there was nothing to see. He was about ten minutes early, according to the time on the list, so he just waited to see what was coming for him.

       The blue haired man successfully circled around his enemy, without Willard even realizing it. He had a mission and he was going to see it through. His boss wanted Willard Kelley to be taken alive and that was what he was going to get. He had two men with him but there was no real need for them. He was capable of doing this deed on his own but the boss wouldn’t have it. He didn’t have much time to waste, so after enough sneaking around and examining his pray, he leapt out at the enemy and knocked him out cold. He had the two men carry him back to the jeep that was parked outside of the woods. They tied Willard up and put him in the back and drove home, where they had horrible things in store for him.

       Willard awoke in a strange room, tied down and gagged with a cloth in his mouth, surrounded by mysterious men. He recognized the blue haired guy as the one who attacked him on the day it rained blood in Ellis. The others were completely unfamiliar. They seemed to pay no attention to him, continuing on with their conversation. Over time he caught on to a few names. The slick-type man in the suit was called, Mr. Dawson. He had a very businessman personality to him but also seemed to have a dark and sinister quality, as well. The one they called Donovan McNeal, seemed to be the leader. He appeared to be very hateful but kept his head straight. He knew he had to keep it together to get the job done. The blue haired villain named Pucker Tyson, stood in the corner with his arms crossed.  He seemed to be waiting to rip Willard to pieces.

       “How do we even know if this is the one we’ve been looking for all this time?” Mr. Dawson asked Donovan. “I don’t mean to sound out of order or anything, but we don’t really know if your little minion even grabbed the right guy.”

       “His name is Pucker, Mr. Dawson,” Donovan answered. “I trust him more than anyone else here. If he says this is the one from his dreams, the one with the list, then it is him. As for you being out of order, you just remember who brought you all together. We’ve survived because of me.”

       “Look, Donovan, I don’t want you to think that I doubt you but I remember the mistakes that we’ve all made over the years. If we’re going to kill this slime ball, we can at least make sure it’s the right guy!”

       “It is him,” Pucker cut in. “Remember, I attacked him the day of the blood storm. He’s the one with the list; the hero’s messenger. He was given the duty of warning and preparing William Temple. Now his job is done. He has finally reached the last date, time and location on his list. I know what I must do.”

       “Then do it,” Mr. Dawson said. “And do it right.”

       “Come, Mr. Dawson,” Donovan declared. “Let’s leave the two of them be.”

       Donovan led Mr. Dawson and the other men out, leaving Pucker alone with the helpless Willard. Pucker circled his captive a few times and then kicked him in the face and grabbed him by the hair.

       “Where’s your hero now, pal?” he teased. “Where’s the great and wondrous William Temple when you need him. He’s always off saving the day but not this time. This time he fails. Anything to say?”

       Pucker ripped the rag out of Willard’s mouth, and the young hero gasped for air before answering, “He may not come for me, he may not save me but when he finds out what you did to me…he’ll make up for it.”

       Pucker found this funny and laughed. “Your such a fool. Why did you come here? Huh? Why did you come to Ellis? You could have ignored the list and gone on with your life.”

       “If I had done that, I would have died.”

       “What do you mean?”

       “One of the first locations on my list sent me away from my home. While I was gone my father, who never really loved me, was killed and our house was destroyed. If I had ignored the list and stayed home that day I would have been killed too.”

       “How about that? Your life is almost as bad as mine.”

       “You don’t even know me.”

       “But of course I do. You’re Willard Kelley, the messenger. Your mother is dead and so is your father but you don’t really mind his passing. After all, how could you ever love someone who tells you everyday, how you’re nobody, no one will ever love you…you’ll never be a great man. That is what he told you, correct? See Willard, I know more than you want me to, buddy.”

       “If you’re going to kill me, just do it already. I’m sick of your mouth.”

       “Oh, Willard. What way will you die? I can’t decide. But don’t worry, it wont be easy; it wont be fast. I need you to tell your friends just what I did to you. I want you to tell him all about us, me and my people. Can you do that for me?”

       “Enjoy your fun while it lasts.”

       “What’s that supposed to mean?”

       “William Temple is going to kill you.”

       Pucker didn’t like this remark very much. “Well see about that.”

       At that time, Pucker pulled out a blade and stabbed Willard in the gut. Willard let out a giant scream of agony and then was knocked out unconscious. Four men, none whose names are worth even mentioning here, took him away, back to Ellis. It was too late for Willard Kelley. He was dying, but he had a message to give to William and Edward. He had to warn his friends, no matter what. Unfortunately this was the last thing that Willard Kelley would ever do.

    



                         The Hard Goodbye

 

       William Temple had become very worried about his friend, Willard Kelley. He had left the day before, and had not come back. Sure, Willard had told him not to worry, that everything would be ok but he just couldn’t help it. In his heart, William knew that Willard would find himself in trouble. William stood on the outside of town, staring out at the sun that was setting in the far horizon. He was not alone for much longer as Edward approached from behind.

       “You’ve been standing here for a long time now, William,” Edward said.

       William didn’t even flinch at Edward’s startling arrival; he just nodded and replied, “I know.”

       “Are you thinking about Willard?”

       “I figured he’d be back by now. I know what he told me but I just can’t stand the idea of something happening to him. We haven’t even known him that long, but he’s as important to me as anyone else.”

       “You can’t do this, William. You can’t wait here forever. Willard told you not to himself.”

       “I don’t care what he said. He’s going to need help and when he comes back that’s just what I’m going to do. Help him.”

       “William…he is not coming back.”

       “Go home Edward.”

       This obviously hurt Edward. Never had his friend said anything along those lines to him before. It felt as if their friendship was being tested. He sighed, turned and then almost said something but didn’t and walked away. William stood there for another twenty minutes before deciding that he needed to go home. He found Myra there waiting for him. She stood and smiled, just happy to see him. “Hey, William. I was waiting for you,” she said.

       “What are you doing here?” he asked rashly.

       Myra became shocked and bewildered. “I came to see you. I’ve been worried.”

       “Well, don’t be.”

       “What’s going on, William? Where have you been?”

       “I’ve been busy, Myra. This is a bad time.”

       “A bad time? For me? I thought you cared about me. You know, ever since that Willard guy showed up, you and Edward have been acting strange. Amelia told me that Edward bought a gun? What would he need a gun for? What is happening to you two?”

       “There are things going on; bad things. You could never understand. Believe me, you don’t want to.”

       “Why not? What aren’t you telling me?”

       “All I can say is, Edward had a good reason to get a gun. I didn’t even know that he did but if it makes him feel comfortable, then good.”

       “Why would he need to feel comfortable?” Silence. “Something bad is going to happen, isn’t it?”

       “Maybe, yeah.”

       “Is someone going to die?”

       “I don’t know, Myra.”

       “William…I don’t want to lose you.”

       William sighed and looked at her. In that instant, Myra saw no love in eyes of the boy she loved. But that wasn’t true; it hurt William to feel the things he was feeling. He would always love her. Their silence was broken by the arrival of Edward, who came running up the street in panic, screaming for William.

       “William,” he screamed. “William, we have to hurry. Something bad has happened.” William didn’t take his eyes off of Myra, even as his friend stopped, slapped him on the back, and gasped for air. “Come quick, he’s hurt. I think he’s dying.” This got William’s attention. Myra stood silent.

       “Who’s hurt, what do you mean?” William asked.

       “Willard. Ronald Payne found him near the hotel. Something happened to him out there, he got stabbed. We’ve got to go, he’s calling for you.”

       Edward dashed off, expecting William to follow. William hesitated, looked into Myra’s eyes with sympathy and then took off after Edward. Myra went home and cried. William followed Edward towards the hotel. When they arrived, William found Ronald Payne waiting and then he saw Willard. Someone had beaten him, stabbed and chained him to the gate that went around the hotel. He was in agony.

       “Willard?” William asked startled. “What is going on? Who did this to you? Did anyone call the police?”

       “I did,” Ronald replied. “Mackey and Pickles are on their way.”

       “What’s taking them so long?”

       “I called right after I found him. They’re far off at the other end of town at the moment.”

       William calmed himself a bit and then approached Willard. “Willard… can you hear me?”

       “I can hear you, William,” Willard answered. “I’m a mess aren’t I?”

       “You’ll be fine, buddy. Officer Mackey’s on his way. We’re going to get you help.”

       “No…not this time. They did me in good.”

       “Who?” Ronald asked.

       “The bad guys,” Willard answered. “These people won’t give even the youngest child of Ellis any attempt at mercy. They want to kill you all.”

       “What happened to you out there?” Edward asked. “How’d they get you? Who are they?”

       “They ambushed me in the woods,” Willard answered. “I found the location that I was heading for; it was the last one on the list, remember?  They must have come out of nowhere, one of them even knocked me unconscious. I woke up in a cabin, surrounded by these men who were debating their next move. I heard some names but I can’t remember them. The blue haired guy that attacked me before, he was there. Also there was a guy in a suit, I believe he went by a last name, because I remember a “Mister” in front of it. I wish I could remember it. There was this one man, I think he was their leader; just by the way he talked. He was saying that he brought them all together. He just may be the one who will lead their army in. They’re planning something, guys. I just wish I could tell you what it was.” He cringed in pain.

       “Did you see where they live?” William asked. “Can you tell us how to get there?”

       “They have a village a few miles from here,” Willard answered. “Thirteen cabins or so, I wasn’t too sure. I only caught a glimpse of where they are, as they were dragging me out but I went unconscious as soon as they through me into the back of one of their trucks. It can’t be far but I have no idea how to get there.”

       “Willard? What can I do to help you, buddy?”

       “There’s nothing any of you can do.” Willard began to see the end coming. “William…am I a good man?”

       “One of the best I know,” William answered with pride.

       “That’s all…I ever…wanted… William, when I’m gone, only the ‘Know It All’ can help you….”

       “Who?”

       William hoped for an answer, but wouldn’t get it. Willard uttered the words, “I’m glad I’m a good man,” under his breath just before dying. And that was that; he was gone.

       William, Edward and Ronald remained silent. William and Edward were aware of some of the things that Willard had mentioned but Ronald was lost. “What the hell was all of that?” he asked.

       “It’s a long story,” William answered. “Apparently, some crazy people whose ancestors were banished from Ellis a hundred or so years ago are coming back for revenge.”

       Ronald played off the sarcastic role he did so well. “Is that it?”

       “Pretty much.”

       “Well when are they coming?”

       “We don’t know,” Edward answered. “And why do you care?”

       “It’s my home too.”

       Edward rolled his eyes but William couldn’t keep his mind off of his dead friend. “Awe, Willard…” William sighed. “What a mess.”

       “Where do you think Mackey is, William?” Edward asked.

       “I don’t know.”

       “Who do you think this ‘Know It All’ is?

       “I don’t know!” Yelling this way at Edward made William feel really bad inside. Suddenly, police lights could be seen in the distance. “Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles are coming. Remember, say nothing about what was said here tonight.”

       “What makes you think that I wont talk?” Ronald asked. “Cops have guns. Cops can protect us. Therefore, we tell the cops.”

       “Just don’t. Please, will you promise me, man?”

       Pause. “Fine I wont tell the cops that we know who killed your friend.” Ronald never understood why he agreed to this. When Mackey and Pickles arrived, everyone told them only part of what had happened. Mackey suspected that something was off but just shrugged it off.  Willard’s body was taken down from the gate and was taken off to the hospital to be examined.

       Willard Kelley was buried in Ellis, as a citizen, on a Saturday afternoon. William found it strange that his friend had been buried right between Barnaby Woodcock and Scott (Snake Willis) Cruise. No one had known much about Willard but all regretted not taking the time to get to know him better.  Over the next few days, Myra had tried to reconnect with William but she just couldn’t reach him. He had been more distant than ever. Meanwhile, Amelia’s problems with Edward were solved. He came to her right after the funeral and told her how much he was sorry and that he loved her. She forgave him and things were back to normal for them. William did a lot of thinking and he could come up with only one conclusion. He no longer cared about his destiny, nor did he want to bother with Ellis’ future any longer. He had to get out. But doing so would not be easy for him or anyone he cared about.  About a week after the funeral, Myra showed up at William’s house to talk. After seeing Amelia with Edward, she began to think that maybe she and William could resolve their issues just as they had. She was unfortunately mistaken.

       Myra entered William’s room, only to find him packing some luggage. She instantly became both shocked and worried. “William,” she cried, “what’s going on?”

       “I didn’t expect you to come here,” he replied. “I thought I’d be gone before you found out.”

       “So you’re leaving and you wanted to leave without saying goodbye?”

       “Yeah. I just…I can’t do this, Myra. Things have changed. I’ve changed. There’s no going back now. I’m leaving Ellis forever.”

       “You don’t mean that. You can’t leave. You said you’d never leave me!”

       “I know what I said, but things were different then. I’m different.”

       “What happened to you, William? Who was Willard Kelley?”

       “He was a good person who never stood a chance. Now he’s dead and I think it’s my fault.”

       “I don’t understand. William, help me understand. Please.”

       “Terrible things are going to happen. Ellis is going to fall. I have a strong feeling that it’s all because of me. So I’m going to leave and never come back. Hopefully if I’m gone, nothing will happen.”

       “So you’re leaving, following in your father’s footsteps?”

       “My father?! My father never loved me…and that’s why he left Ellis and abandoned me.”

       “You know that’s not true.”

       “Isn’t it?”

       “I just can’t believe this.”

       “I’m sorry, my love. But this is how it has to be.”

       “But where will you go?”

       “I don’t know. I’m sure I’ll find some place.”

       “Don’t you love me anymore, William?”

       “My whole life, you’re all I ever loved.” With this, William held Myra and they cried together. He then kissed her, wiped off her tears and whispered, “Goodbye.” He left his home and the girl he loved, never looking back.

      

       On the way out of town, William crossed paths with Father West. The priest had sensed something was afoot with William back at Willard Kelley’s funeral and now he realized his worst fears may be coming true. He had to say something.

       “William,” he called.

      William turned and was shocked by this. He and Father West never really ever had anything to say to each other and now apparently the priest had seemed very intent on speaking with him. “What is it, Father West?” William asked.

       “It looks like you’re leaving. Why is this?”

       “I’m leaving, sir. I’m going away and I am never coming back.”

       “But you can’t do this. What about your mother? What about Edward and Myra?”

       “Wait. Father West, we’ve never really ever spoken a word to each other and now you’re worried about me and my problems all of a sudden. What’s your deal?”

       Sigh. “You can’t leave, William. Too much depends on you.”

       “Oh great, you too? Look, I’m not staying. I have to leave. If I go, maybe nothing will happen. I’m the reason…”

       “No, it’s not because of you. They’re coming whether you leave or not. But you’re the one who may be able to stop them. Will you do nothing? Does Willard Kelley die in vain?”

       Silence. “I’m out.” William turned his back on Father West and headed off. Father West was desperate. He began screaming to William, who kept walking, not paying him any mind.

       “William, they will come!” Father West shouted. “They will destroy everything! All those you love will die!” Father West then became silent. He whispered to himself, “What will make you see, boy?” and then headed back to the church to figure out his next plan.

       William left Ellis behind with nearly a smile on his face. He was finally going to be free and live his life the way he wanted. He wished he could bring Myra but it just wouldn’t work. He would always love her but he felt they could never be. Edward was as big a problem. William had not said goodbye. He hoped his friend would understand but he couldn’t go on worrying. He had his whole destiny in front of him and nothing was going to stop him or so he thought.

       Chris Norton had succeeded. He had helped his father and the Exiles. Willard Kelley, the one who saw too much, was dead. And the great big hero, William Temple, had left Ellis, swearing never to return. What shame he must have felt. So Chris was sent back to Ellis, carrying the faith of his new family with him. He had another mission to accomplish and soon he would carry it out. Someone close to William Temple was going to die. The villains were going to destroy this person and Chris was going to deliver them to his new family personally.

 



                                  Gone

 

       Willard Kelley was dead. William Temple was gone. And so Edward Hall, his girlfriend Amelia Dillon and the broken hearted Myra Wilson were all that was left of the old clique. Myra just couldn’t understand what had happened. William, the love of her life and beyond, had left town, saying he would never return. His mother, like Myra, was torn up inside. She had never expected him to follow in his father’s footsteps. But things were worst than they could all ever imagine. Ellis had lost its hero. He was the only one who could inspire the town’s people to fight back against the coming evil and win. But he was gone. There was no hero. Even with all of the good in his heart, Edward could not do it on his own. Not long after William left town, Ronald Payne began having nightmares. In them he would see faces he never knew. Some were alive and some were dead. When he wasn’t sleeping, he would see things that weren’t there. After starting a scene at the Myrtle’s Diner, he began to realize that he needed help. However, he wouldn’t tell anyone. Finally, after a week of nearly breaking down, Ronald’s torment ended and the visions faded away. He was relieved, yet worried it would come back. Unfortunately for him, it one day would. But it wasn’t as bad as it seemed. In truth, this would be the thing that would show him the way.

 

       Over the next year, Edward did his best to keep things together. He’d visit William’s mother as often as possible and he and Amelia spent all of their time with Myra. They rarely spoke of him but they all missed William very much. Ellis went on as it had all of the years before. Every now and then someone like Mr. Myrtle or Officer Mackey would ask if they’d heard from their long gone friend but they never had a positive answer for the townsfolk. Unknown to them all, there was a change coming. It began when Edward and Ronald began to associate with each other but it would get worse in time. Someone was going to die and that would be the turning point that set the citizens of Ellis on the road to their destinies. They had not seen the last of William Temple. He would return.

 



                                The Long Road

 

       Over a year had passed since William Temple left the town of Ellis with no thought of returning. It had been the toughest choice of his life, leaving behind his mother, his best friend and the girl he loved. But he had to take a hold of his destiny. He wouldn’t die there. He would live his life the way he wanted. But the journey was not easy. After leaving town, he felt like a change so he decided to go by Billy. He then traveled from town to town, with all of his savings and found shelter and part time work. He stayed a week in Georgia, making it through Atlanta and even a little tourist town called Helen. He then traveled north, up along the East coast, staying here and there, until finally making it to New York. He had finally found the excitement and danger he was looking for but it wouldn’t last. New York proved to be a very harsh and expensive place so he took what little money he had and headed west. He spent some time in Reno, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and even Hollywood. But fear of running out of money struck him and he headed back east. Texas became his home for a couple of months, where he found work with a rancher, named Ian Blackburn and made a decent amount of cash which increased his hopes of his further travels.

       He and Ian, who never married and had no children, had formed a very strong friendship. They would work together all day, then have dinner and spend their nights talking of old times. The forty or so year old rancher would tell him of times long before. His great grandfather had once protected that very same ranch from intruding outlaws. It had been in the family for generations and it’s all that the rancher had. William would tell him about Myra. He’d talk about how beautiful she was and how he missed her. He’d tell the rancher about Edward Hall, Willard Kelley, his mother and father but he wouldn’t talk about the Warlock. He didn’t want to risk repeating history, not with memories of what happened to Joseph McGregor. And he never mentioned the assumed fate of Ellis. The Rancher just wouldn’t understand.

       Time passed and the time came for William to hit the road, yet again. The rancher was really disappointed to see him leave but had faith that they would meet again.    

       William found his final stop in Tampa, Florida. It wasn’t the nicest or cleanest city but something drew him to it. After checking into a hotel, he decided to have a drink in a close by bar. The company was a bit rugged and paid no real mind to the young man. He sat at the bar and asked for a rum and coke. The bartender didn’t even ID him. A roughed up looking man, in his thirties, sat nearby and stared in near disbelief at William.

       “I know you,” the man said. “But it couldn’t be you. You’re too young too be you. And you died years ago. Nope… couldn’t be you. Looks like you though.”

       “Leave the kid alone, Toby,” the Bartender said.

       “Oh come on, Al,” the man argued. “Don’t tell me you don’t see it. It’s him.”

       “But it couldn’t be him, I tell you,” the Bartender shot back. “He’s dead.”

       “Look, guys,” William said, “I’m going to go. Sorry to bother you.”

       “What was his name,” the man asked. “Come on, Alec. What was it?”

       “Don’t suppose it would be Gulliver Temple, would it?” William joked. The men didn’t find it funny. Another man, who had been sitting in the back of the bar, approached William.

       “How the hell do you know Gulliver Temple?” He asked.

       “How do you?” William retracted.

       “We were his friends,” the second man said.

       “How do you know Ol’ Gulliver, boy?”

       “He was my father,” William answered.

“Well, seems like we got some talking to do,” the first man said.

        The men introduced themselves to William. The bartender was named, Alec Nightmoon. He seemed like the leader of the group. The drunken goof, Toby Bennett, wasn’t as bad as he first seemed. The third man, Byron Mcloven, was a well-aged fellow, who had lived in Tampa all his long life. He seemed like a heartbroken man. There was unfortunately no good news about William’s father, Gulliver Temple. Apparently he had died of lung cancer five years earlier. He had been in Tampa for over ten years after coming to the city to find work. He found it at the bar, where he befriended the three men and became very popular around the city. He was paid decent and was given a room in the upstairs area. William became interested in seeing where his father had lived the last years of his life.

       Alec led William to the apartment above the bar. William went inside alone, while Alec waited in the hall. William found pictures of himself when he was a baby, one in particular, of him with both of his parents. There was another picture of his mother, in happier times. Had his father really loved them? If so, why did he leave? He went to Alec with these questions. Alec tried to explain it all to William but he just couldn’t understand. When he asked how his father could just abandon them like he did, Alec just answered, “Because he wasn’t meant to die in Ellis. He was supposed to come to Tampa. That’s what he always used to say.” After the bar closed, William and Alec sat at a table with Toby and Mcloven and shared a couple of drinks. They explained the situation and how William’s father had been a good friend to them. When he died, the bar didn’t feel the same anymore. Now it seemed like some part of their friend had returned with William and it was decided that William should stay there with them in the same room his father had occupied and work for Alec.

       As the months went by, William felt more and more at home but still thought of Myra and Edward from time to time. He wondered if he had done the right thing. But he just told himself that of course he did what was right. He had left, just as he always felt he had to. There was no future for him in Ellis. He knew he had broken his mother’s heart. But at the same time he felt like maybe he was making her proud to leave that dump. And if it was true about everything Willard Kelley had said; he had escaped a terrible fate. He didn’t want to be the hero. He didn’t want to be the one everyone would turn to for help because he didn’t want to fail them. He knew he didn’t have what it took. He learned much from his father’s friends. They showed him a real movie theatre, took him to parties, introduced him to many people and he even got to eat at real restaurants. He had never gotten to enjoy these things in Ellis. Even during his journey around America, before he came to Tampa, he didn’t get to try the things around him. He was too busy trying to survive.

       There was this one time that William was struck by an old memory of his old life in Ellis. It was something he almost forgot. While checking out a little yard sale with Toby and Byron, he came across a copy of a book his father used to read to him when he was a small child. It was called, “Of Life, Love, Loss, and Friendship: A Guide To Your Destiny.”                                      William had never seen another copy of it besides the one his father owned or the one in the Ellis Library. When he asked the housewife where she got the book, she replied, “Oh this old door to door salesman dropped on our door, years ago now. He just seemed like such a nice old man. Any way, my husband bought the book out of pity. He only read it once. He just didn’t understand it. Apparently, there’s not even an author.”

       And so William bought the book and cherished it like a little piece of the past. He told his friends it’s importance to him and his father and they would all set around and read it over and over again. The odd thing was that William was the only person who seemed to really understand it. This was not the only thing that William would come across that would affect his life and bring about his destiny.

       Some time in the summer, Alec took William to a carnival that was being held at a local church. Alec sent William to a tent in the far back of the carnival. It didn’t take long for him to find, even on his own. Inside of the tent, he found a woman somewhere in her thirties or early forties. “Come in,” she said. “Come and sit.”

       “I’m a friend of Alec’s,” William coughed up. “He told me I should meet you.”

       “Yes, you must be William,” She said. “He’s told me all about you. I am Elmira.”

       “I’m sorry, “William asked in a bit of shock. “You’re name is…?”

       “Elmira,” she answered. Does it ring a bell?’

       “Just a bit familiar,” he said. “I knew a Myra once but it’s been a long time.”

       “That it has,” she agreed. “It’s been a long time since you left your home. You miss everyone you grew to love in your time there. But you don’t want to go back. You… don’t want to care.”

       “Something like that,” he admitted. “So you’re a psychic? Is that why Alec wanted me to meet you? You’re going to read my future?”

       “Not exactly,” she said. “I have a gift, yes, but it’s a little different. I can answer all of your questions. And I know just the one you need answered.”

       “Do you now?” William asked. “And what question would that be?”

       “You don’t know what to do,” she answered. “Your heart tells you to go back but you tell yourself to do different. You don’t even know what you’re running from. Well, William temple, the question you want answered is: What kind of man are you?”

        “Okay,” he said, going along with it. “And what kind of man am I, Elmira? Please tell me.”

        “Why do you mock me?” she asked partly annoyed. “Is it a part of your fear? Or are you afraid to find out?”

       “Oh yeah, that’s real rich lady,” he yelled out. “Do you know anything about me? Do you have any idea what I’ve been through? If I’m supposed to be this great hero, if I’m supposed to save the day, how can I not care? Is that what you’re wondering? I’ve loved and lost more than you could understand. And if I said I didn’t feel guilty for all of it, I’d be a liar. So please, Elmira, do tell me. What kind of man am I?”

       She paused for a moment, and looked down to the ground. She became unsure if she should even answer him, but looked up and knew that she must. “You are a good man; a great man even,” she declared. You are a hero, a leader. You do have a destiny, William. But you don’t know what it is yet. You have always carried the whole world on your shoulders, whether you’ll admit it or not. You have what it takes. But there are consequences to being a great man. This makes you scared, lonely and even sad…frightened… and angry. Yet, as much as you hate the world for your pain, you know that at any given moment you would give your life and whatever else it took to save it. And as long as you live, as long as you fight, the world stands a chance. Willard Kelley knew this. He lost his life to it but he knew the consequences of being a good person. That was his path. Like it’s your path to do what you must. There will always be a tomorrow, William. But it is up to you to decide how you’re going to spend it.”

       All of this drew the young hero to tears as he realized it was true. He and Elmira talked for another hour or so before he left. He would never forget what she had told him. But he wouldn’t go back to Ellis. He wouldn’t leave Tampa. Not yet. He knew he should stay there for a little while longer and so he continued to work in the bar. He even grew a beard, out of need of a change. He never saw Elmira again but her words were left echoing on and on in his head. But he wouldn’t give in. He was happy in Tampa. For the first time in his life, he was at peace. At least that’s what he was pretending. He was truly lying to himself. He would often think of Edward, his mother and Willard. Most of all he thought of Myra. He hated himself for this. But he would not let it get to him. He felt his destiny lied with his new friends in Tampa. Sadly, it would take another tragedy to make him see.          

 

 

 



© 2011 Robert Donald Brooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on November 13, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011


Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing