Part Five: Into The Harsh Unknown

Part Five: Into The Harsh Unknown

A Chapter by Robert Donald Brooks
"

As war rages between the Cause and the evil Montgomery Dyson, the group of heroes who have fought along side each other through the many storms learn that their newest enemy was once one of their own.

"

                             Part Five:

                  Into The Harsh Unknown

 



                                  Ghastly New World

 

       Three years passed for our heroes. Honolulu remained free from the clutches of the evil Dyson and the Cause appeared to be safe. However, the island’s many inhabitants had mostly left, heading to other parts of the world much farther than the US, which had become Dyson’s own private realm. His armies covered the former free nation in darkness and good people were either murdered or forced into slavery. No one could imagine what he was after, which was in the hands of a young man who had escaped just barely and had also now joined the Cause. He had no idea that he held the key to everything that ever mattered. Dyson was growing more and more anxious to find what he needed, kill William Temple and take the powers of Ellis. Sure he had become the most powerful being in the world and had done the impossible by taking and ruling America but he still wasn’t complete. He needed the key and if he didn’t find it, this would all be for nothing.

      

       William Temple had found some peace with the Cause in Honolulu, as he had hoped for. He had no fear of danger for some time and was glad to be among friends, those who were left that is. Alec Nightmoon was dead and Edward Hall was still missing after all that time. At least he still had Ronald Payne, Officer Mackey, Donald Mackey, Hope Crawford, Rick Petrie and the Warlock around to keep him company. Ronald and Hope had been married that past winter but were waiting until the war was over to have a child. They feared that any child born into this dark world would be in danger of suffering Dyson’s wrath, if the Cause should fail. Hope kept her maiden name, Crawford, as well until their freedom was won. Officer Mackey had found a strong bond between he and his son, Donald. He would tell his boy stories of his mother and how it was their dream to have a child. I can surely tell you that this young man was happy to hear every bit of happiness that his parents had once shared. Rick and the Warlock had become great friends, feeling like mentors to the other members of the Cause. Their wisdom was deeply appreciated.

       The threat of Montgomery Dyson still felt near, though they were far from his clutches, yet not truly far enough. Unknown to them all, he had learned of their location but was biding his time. He would soon attack with great numbers but his plan was not all intact. He did however have his secret weapon at hand and was looking very forward to sending it there to ultimately break William Temple. In time, the Cause would suffer as many had suffered him. He could not guess in a thousand years that the key to Ellis, which he needed, was with someone in Hawaii. The bearer of this key was a young member of the Cause; one with a good heart who, like Temple, had a great destiny.

    



                            The Amulet

 

       Patrick Holdman was a rookie in the Cause, only joining five months prior. He was very excited about the upcoming meeting being held on the beach outside of Waikiki in Honolulu. It was not known what the meeting was about but he knew it must be important. He sat alone in his room, rubbing his thumb against the rod shaped medallion his mother had given him just before she died. He often felt something while doing this, like a kind of energy that sent the feelings of both fear and hope through him. He could daze off for hours while doing this, though this occurrence was ended by a knock at the door. A colleague of his entered saying, “Hey Pat, we’ve got to get going down to Pearl. Rick Petrie’s asking for all rookies to help out, something about new recruits.”

       “Okay,” he replied. “I’ll be right behind you.” His friend left, shutting the door behind him and after another moment of looking into the nearby mirror, Patrick changed clothes and headed out towards old Pearl Harbor to do what was needed of him.

 

       The yacht arrived on the shore near old Pearl around noon and was loaded with over forty men and women looking to join. They had been through a lot and were glad to finally be in Hawaii. Ian Blackburn enjoyed the breath of fresh air as he got off the yacht and his feet touched ground. The last thing he expected was to see a familiar face but he did as William Temple came along shaking the hands of the new arrivals.

       “William?” Ian asked.

       “William was in shock at the sight of his old friend. “Ian?” he asked. “Ian Blackburn? I can’t believe it.” He hugged the old man, much older now than when they had gone separate ways. William introduced him to his friends Ronald, Hope, Rick and Donald and they all were glad to meet the man. This was not the last surprise for the day. The friends grabbed some food and talked of old times back home. Apparently, Ian’s ranch had been attacked and burned to the ground. He had barely escaped before finding fellow rebels, who led him to a secret hideout, where he learned all about the evils of Montgomery Dyson. After this hideout was discovered, the few survivors and Ian found passage to the base of the Cause and he was led to this moment. After lunch, the friends gathered with a few of their peers. Ian’s sight caught hold of Patrick Holdman, who had a strange amulet around his neck. He recognized it instantly. “You boy,” he called. “Where did you get that?”

       “Me?” asked Patrick, shyly.

       “Yes, boy. What is your name?”

       “Patrick, sir. Patrick Holdman.”

       “And where did you get the amulet you wear around your neck?”

       “It was my mother’s. She gave it to me before she died. She got it from her mother and she got it from her’s. It’s been in my family for years.”

       “What is it, Ian?” William asked, barely breaking Ian’s focus on young Patrick.

       Ian continued to admire the amulet and answered, “Before I escaped from America, there were these men; soldiers working for Montgomery Dyson who were handing out fliers looking for this very same amulet. It was everywhere. There’s even a reward of freedom to any who find it. This thing’s important.”

       “Important how?” asked Ronald.

       “I don’t know,” Ian answered, “they never said. But Dyson wants it.”

       “We’ll talk to a friend of mine,” William said. “He might know something.”

     

       William, Ian, Patrick, Ronald, Hope, Rick and Donald met with Officer Mackey and the Warlock at the main headquarters. The Warlock examined the medallion and knew just what it was and what for. “This thing is very important,” he stated. “How long did you say it was in your family’s possession?”

       “I don’t know,” answered Patrick. “A long time; I’m not sure.”

       “This…this is what he’s looking for.”

       “Come again?” asked Officer Mackey.

       “This is the key,” answered the Warlock.

       William suddenly became very interested and asked, “Are you sure?”

       “I’m pretty sure.”

       “I can’t believe it,” said Ian. “What are the odds that this thing would end up here in the hands of Dyson’s enemies?”

       “Maybe we were meant to have it,” stated Donald. “So now what do we do with it?”

       “We have to keep it as far away from Dyson as we possibly can,” answered the Warlock. “He can never get his hands on it. It’s time to see the Oracle, as well.”

       “Excuse me?” asked a newly curious William. “What are you talking about? What Oracle?”

       “There’s a man living safely back home in Boston, Massachusetts; he’s like me.  He was created by the same powers that were spawned from Ellis so that once we had the medallion, he could tell us where to go from there.”

       “Why haven’t you spoken of him before?” asked Ronald.

       The Warlock sighed and answered, “I wasn’t sure we’d even find this thing. He’ll tell us what we need to know.”

       “How do you know we can even trust him?” asked William.

       “Yeah,” Hope said in agreement. “What if this guy is working for Dyson?”

       “He isn’t,” declared the Warlock. “He hates Dyson as much as we do. It was Dyson’s brother who created him for us.”

       “Dyson’s brother?” asked Rick.

       “Yes. I can tell you no more. The Oracle will explain everything. William, my boy, you are about to learn everything that you ever wanted to know.”

       William liked the sound of this. He had been searching for answers his whole life. “Okay then,” he said feeling very determined. “When do we leave?”

       

       Unfortunately, they would not depart so easily. Across the island, near the old airport, several members of the Cause who worked the computers for communications to the outside world received a terrible message from a very reliable source. Apparently, Dyson’s forces had discovered their location and would soon be sending ships full of troops to make their attack. This was very bad news for William and his friends and a decision had to be made on just how they would make their stand.

 



                         The Silent Knight

 

       It was true; Dyson’s resources had discovered that the Cause was now based primarily in Honolulu, Hawaii. This made perfect sense and he wondered how it could even be possible that he had never guessed it himself. It was no worry for him; he had a plan and a secret weapon. He met with his right hand man, Caleb and his assistant, Ms. Gale. The two continued to play off that they did not have something going on between them but Dyson could see right through this. He had been aware of their little affair for sometime and the only reason he hadn’t acted out is because he still needed them for just a bit longer. Once he would be done with them, he would dispose of the two betrayers. See, it isn’t that he was jealous and wanted Ms. Gale for himself; he had no interest in her at all. It was his rule that mattered most under these circumstances. Everyone who worked for Dyson knew very well of this rule that no one in his employee could be together, in fears of bringing in some young child who could grow to oppose him. He had enough worries over William Temple without having to deal with some young brat coming along to help his enemies. There was also the worry that if these two were in love, wrong false move and they themselves might become a problem.

       After talking with Caleb and Ms. Gale, Dyson entered the dungeon area of the building and came across Chris Norton, who was just leaving. He stopped the younger man and said, “You seem to like spending your time here, Norton”

       “Yes sir,” Chris answered. “I enjoy seeing an old rival suffer. I just wonder why you won’t kill him. Let me, sir, please.”

       “What for? You’ll just enjoy it too much. He’ll be killed soon enough but not by you. I have a plan for him and you’ll just have to accept it. Besides, I thought you wanted to kill William Temple.”

       “I’ll do anything to kill Temple; you know that, sir.”

       “Well then be patient and you’ll get what’s coming to you.”

       “Yes sir.”

       Chris departed and Dyson headed to the deepest cell, where his secret weapon was chained to the wall, miserable and missing the life that he once had.  This mysterious figure was dressed much like a knight in dark armor and a helmet, which covered his face that kept his identity a secret. He was barely surprised to see Dyson enter his cell looking to talk.

       “Hello, my friend,” said Dyson. “Have you considered my offer?”

       “Your offer? Asked the Knight. “The one where you’ll free me if I go kill the closest thing I ever had to a brother?”

       “Yes, that offer. What will it be?”

       “Do I have a choice?”

       “If you don’t go, then I’ll send Chris Norton instead and he won’t be so nice.”

       “I can’t do it.”

       “Then you’ll never get out of here.”

       “So be it.”

       “My forces have discovered the location of the Cause’s base in Honolulu. My men will be heading that way by ship in four hours. You best think it over if you ever want to be free again.”

       “I am free.”

       “Yes, of course you are.”

       Dyson left the tragic figure to his thoughts and returned to his office. In just a few hours his troops would set out to end the Cause and by the next day they will have succeeded. It was all coming together perfectly. It was then that one of his men alerted him that the Silent Knight had made a final decision; one that Dyson liked better.

 



                       The Council Of Hope

 

       The Cause had already planned an important meeting but now things were much more critical. Dyson’s forces were on their way so they had to act fast. Over four hundred men, women and children gathered outside of the old Convention Center, while William, Ronald, Hope, Rick, Donald, Officer Mackey, Ian, Patrick, the Warlock and several heads of the Cause, one of them named Taylor Muldoon, discussed the next step.

       Ronald was the first to say what they were all thinking. “We have to get everyone safely out of here fast or they’ll soon show up on their ships blowing us all to hell.”

       “It’s true,” said Taylor. “We have to escape, but how?”

       It was one of the other heads that answered, “We have several yachts and one cruise ship so we can load them up with all of the women and children while the men stay behind to fight.”

       “Why fight?” asked Hope. “Besides, I want to stay with Ronald.”

       “You can’t, Hope,” declared Ronald. “I need you gone. We’ll stay behind to distract them while you all get away on the ships.”

       “He’s right,” said William. “You’ll aim for the same location but take separate routes so they can’t track you so easily.”

       “Where should they go?” asked another nameless head of the Cause.

       “We have friends in South America,” answered Taylor. “There’s a small secret base in Brazil that all of the women and children will be safe at.”

       “But how will you all escape too if you stay back to fight?” asked Hope.

       “We’ll keep one ship behind that will fit all of the men, said William. “When the coast is clear and you are all safely away from their reach, we’ll pull back and depart on our way too.”

       “Not all of us,” said the Warlock in disagreement.

       “What do you mean?”

       “Most of the men who stay behind can take that ship but some of us have another mission to attend to.”

       “The Oracle?” asked Officer Mackey.

       “That’s right,” answered the Warlock. “William, Ronald, Officer Mackey, Donald, Patrick, Ian, Rick and I will take one of the smaller boats at the North Shore to America. From there we’ll walk by foot to Boston, where the Oracle is waiting.”

        Ian tried not to laugh at this but could not resist. “When was the last time you’ve seen America?” he asked. “I saw it most recently and I can tell you it’s no stroll in the park.”

       “It has to be done,” William declared.

       “Can I go with you?” asked Taylor. “I would much like to see the old Country once more.”

        “Sure,” said Donald. “We could use an extra hand.”

        “Then it’s decided,” declared Officer Mackey. “Now we tell the people.”

        “Then all we have to do is survive,” said Patrick.

        “Yes,” said William. “There is that.”

 

       An hour after their announcement to the people, everyone headed to the Ports, where they would all say goodbye as the women and children boarded the ships and the men stayed behind. Ronald and Hope stood off to the side holding hands.

       “This war will kill us all,” said Hope.

       “I don’t really believe that,” said Ronald who tried to stay optimistic, “I know you don’t either.”

       “Why are you doing this?”

       “We have to survive this. It’s the first step to ending this thing once and for all. I’ll see you soon.”

       “No you won’t.”

       Ronald sighed and kissed his wife goodbye. Hope then joined the others and boarded the ships, which set sail into the horizon, leaving the men behind. From there, they armed themselves with whatever artillery they could carry and stood their ground on the Eastern beach shore.

 



                                The Attack

 

       As soon as Dyson’s troops touched the shore, the heroes of the Cause opened fire. In an instant, there was much death and loss on both sides. The Cause’s side had mostly consisted of men in trenches using normal guns, while there were also two tanks and two towers, which had two men on each: one sniper and one man with a rocket launcher. William and his friends stayed together as best as they could, though they would surely be separated. The evil soldiers had arrived on four large ships and from there they had taken rafts to the shore.

       As fast as these troops fell, the Cause became certain that this was not all that Dyson could summon. At least two hundred more were on their way. One caught William’s gaze. He was dressed almost like a knight in armor and a helmet, which covered his whole head and face, concealing his identity. As the other forces began attacking, this strange figure remained where he was, guarded by four troops. Men were dying all around them and it seemed like they would soon get a bit of the action themselves. It was Ian who was hit first. The shot got him right in the stomach and he fell to the ground. William ran to him while Ronald stood by with his rifle, as if watching over the two men. The first of the explosions began and they weren’t so far away.

       “Hold on now,” said William in near panic. “You’re going to be okay, Ian.”

       “No, it makes perfect sense,” said Ian in disagreement. “It’s about time, actually. Listen William; you all have to survive this.”

       “We will.”

       “My only regret is not getting to go with you boys out to Boston to see this Oracle.”

       “It’s not all that fun to be one of us. Trust me.”

       “Well here goes nothing.” Ian stood, pulling out two pistols and ran out into the distance towards the enemy, firing away. He actually hit three troops before taking more shots and falling to his death. William had lost another friend. This actually inspired those who saw it and the heroes began marching out towards Dyson’s troops.

      

       The Knight stood by watching this, though none would believe how terrible he felt about it. He and the troops surrounding him decided to stay clear of the battle so they headed farther to the side. But they didn’t expect the army to die down so fast. The Cause was actually winning. The Knight secretly rejoiced over this.

  

       There was a young man, roughly 19 or so, whose job was to stay back at the communications building and wait for word from the departed ships to let them know that they were safely away. When the time came, he was so relieved that he almost forgot to hit the alarm. Once it was done and it went off, he took off as fast as he could and boarded the nearby cruise. Now he just hoped that his allies would come along soon enough so that they could take off.

 

       The heroes of the Cause were winning this battle but they were becoming very exhausted. When the alarm finally went off, they were relieved, though they still had a bit of a trek ahead of them. They all rallied together and marched on shooting back at the enemies who were following them. However, William did not follow. He wanted to see who this strange mystery figure was. He approached from the side and took on one of the troops. The others became aware and after William killed his target, they all closed in on him. He took them all on, gallantly killing one after the other. He approached the Knight but an enemy troop emerged out of nowhere and hit William in the face. The man beat him to the ground and our hero was hurt.  William pulled out a dagger and stabbed the man to death. He then fell, seemingly unconscious. The knight sighed and slowly approached William, not sure if it was such a good idea.

 

       Ronald, Officer Mackey, Donald, Rick, Taylor, Patrick and the Warlock remained at the pier while their fellow soldiers boarded the last ship to Brazil. It was Ronald who first noticed that William had disappeared. “Where the hell is William?” he asked.

       “I thought he was here,” said Officer Mackey.

       “He’s still back at the battle site,” declared the Warlock, who seemed to know exactly what was going on. “There’s something he had to see. Ronald, go get him.”

       “I’m on it,” said Ronald, who then grabbed a motorbike that one of their colleagues had ridden on. He took off as fast as he could in hope of finding his friend alive.

 

       The strange and mysterious Knight knelt down slowly next to William and reached out his hand to touch the hero’s arm. William rolled over, flipped the knight on his back and held a knife to the stranger’s throat. The knight screamed, “NO!” and William tore his mask off revealing it to be Edward Hall: his oldest friend. William fell back in tears as memories came to mind of the times he had spent with one of the closest things he had to a brother. Edward looked back in silence, with a hint of agony on his face. William lay back crying and Edward could suddenly see several of Dyson’s troops on their way. Edward grabbed him and tried to help him up so that he could escape. Just as he thought his old friend was for sure done for, Ronald Payne appeared on a motorbike.

       “Get him out of here!” Edward demanded.

       “Edward?!” Ronald called in shock.

       Edward helped Ronald get William on the bike. Ronald then stared to him in almost disbelief. Edward yelled, “Go!” and Ronald took off into the distance, leaving him behind to deal with the troops. Edward was alive but he felt dead.

 



                        Return To Misery

 

       Dimitri lay dreaming of a love he had lost, though he was no William Temple. He was an ugly vengeful person with hate in his heart and soon he would have a bigger role to play in the coming events. He was suddenly awoken at the sight of his oldest, well only friend, Rufus. As annoyed as it was to be woken up from such a dream, he knew that his friend was excited because he must have had some really exciting news.

       “Dimtri, wake up!” said Rufus. “I have something you want to hear.”

       “What is it?” asked Dimitri.

       “The Doom-Giver was right. Dyson’s attacked the Cause at their base in Hawaii. The war’s started.”

       “The war’s been here. There’ve been battles all along the borders of Old America for months now.”

       “Yes but now they’re recruiting. How about we go see the boss and get our jobs back.”

       “Come on, Rufus, do you really think he’ll take us back?”

       “Of course he will. And don’t forget Ms. Gale. She’ll take you back to.”

       This of course got Dimitri’s attention and he remembered just what he wanted. “Right,” he said with a sigh. “Okay then, let’s go sign up.”

       The two burned down the place they had been staying at for the past months and headed on their way to see Dyson, who did indeed take them back. Neither Caleb nor Ms. Gale liked this one bit but kept silent. The thing about Dyson was that he only kept around the people that he needed to use and he had such big plans for Rufus and Dimitri.

 



                        The Strong Union

 

       William and Ronald met Officer Mackey, Donald, Taylor, Patrick, Rick and the Warlock at the Eastern side of the North Shore, several hours after the battle had ended. Ronald gave their friends the bad news about Edward but William remained silent. They knew they had to keep going so they laded the large boat with enough food, water, fuel and supplies. They then boarded the boat and headed East across the ocean, hoping to reach America within the week.

 

       Edward remained with the enemy but kept quietly to himself, grieved over what had happened. He knew his friends must now hate him. He was a traitor but not by choice. There was only one way to set it right. He had to find them and set it right. Luckily for him, it was his destiny to redeem himself and help his friends, so the Warlock led him the way. It was if something had come over him and he had suddenly known just what o do. He abandoned the enemy camp, snuck off in the night and found a boat, which was filled with enough supplies to last him a week. There was also a letter and a map for him from the Warlock, telling him where to go and what to do. He headed off on his way and with any luck he would soon find his friends.

      

       The ship carrying the men of the Cause headed hastily to Brazil. They had just been through a lot and hoped to see their loved ones soon. Unfortunately, this would not come to pass. Tragedy struck when one of Dyson’s ships appeared from behind and the troops on board began firing at the men. The heroes shot back but there was no chance of victory. The enemy ship was loaded with canyons and the heroes were blown out of the water to their deaths. This news hit the families waiting in Brazil very hard. The cause was now weaker and their only chance of salvation now lie with a group of friends who would soon be on a great journey.

 

       The heroes reached the shore of Old California within days. They got off the boat and set up camp so that they could get some rest before beginning their trek. By nightfall, only William and the Warlock were left awake. The cursed man sat next to William and attempted to reach him saying, “You’re not saying much, William.”

       “I keep thinking of Edward,” he answered. “Why would he betray us?”

       “He did not betray you. He was doing something he did not want to do at all. You see, Dyson has a way of getting to people and he used Edward to ruin you. Don’t let this change your perception of things or you will surely suffer.”

       “What about Edward?”

       “I’m sure we’ll see him again soon. In time, you will understand. I promise.”

       “Are we really going to walk all the way across the country to Boston?”

       “No, I was just being a bit dramatic. We’ll find a vehicle soon enough. There’s a Cause outpost not far from here. They’ll help us on our way.”

       “That’s good.”

       “Get some sleep, William. You’ll soon have work to do.”

       The Warlock knew what he was doing and hoped Edward would do what was right. He had felt his friend’s misery for sometime and what had happened to him. He knew Edward was not truly evil and would in time redeem himself.

 



                            The Board

 

       Montgomery Dyson sat in his conference room among his employees. Caleb, Ms. Gale, the newly returned Rufus and Dimitri, Chris Norton and other officials all looked upon their boss wondering what was to come next. Caleb and ms. Gale were nervous to have Rufus and Dimitri so close.

       “The war is near its end,” declared Dyson. “Soon, the Cause against me will fall. We have taken their base in Hawaii and soon we will fight a great battle here in our own territory.”

       This started a bit of commotion. “But sir,” asked Caleb, “what about the bases in the Northern and Southern Borders?”

       “Canada and Mexico can wait. I will soon call upon their armies to make a last stand here. They will come to us, we will slaughter them and then our armies will take care of the borders while I and some close to me will journey to Ellis to take back what is mine.”

       “But sir, you don’t have the key,” stated Ms. Gale.

       “I will have it soon, said Dyson. “I have received word that out there somewhere, our worst enemies are on a journey to see the Oracle. If this is true, then they must have the key that I need.”

       “So you’ll attack them outside of the Oracle’s fortress?” asked Dimitri.

       “Unfortunately I do not know the location of the Oracle. Since he was created by my…rival, I do not know where to look. But I assure you; they will eventually come to us.”

       A dark yet familiar figure entered the room and laughed, saying, “You still seem so sure of yourself, old man.”

       “The Doom-Giver?” asked Caleb.

       “What are you doing here?” asked Dyson.

       “I heard you’re at war,” answered the Doom-Giver, “so I thought I would come along to start a little of my own chaos.”

       “So you’ll join me?”

       “As long as the pay is good.”

       “Think about this, boss,” warned Caleb.

       “I have,” answered Dyson. “Welcome to my army, Doom-Giver.”

       The Doom-Giver sat between Caleb and Ms. Gale, sending much discomfort. It was Rufus who broke the silence, saying, “So what next, boss?”

       “Next we send word to the enemy.”

 



                             Peace In Brazil

 

       Ronald thought a lot of Hope in the time that they had been apart. He wondered if she had made it to Brazil and if she would be safe there. He and his friends would soon be on their way to see this Oracle and hopefully they would all get the answers that they were hoping for.

 

       Hope Crawford, rather Hope Payne, stood in Brazil, looking around at the large base that the Cause had secretly built there. It was large enough and filled with many soldiers. While her group was at peace in Hawaii, there’s had been at constant war with Dyson’s men along the borders. A lot of battle had been done around Mexico just above South America while another group up North in Canada fought along those borders. There were also rebel groups who remained in America, striking from secret locations. This was indeed war. On their third day there, her people had received terrible news that their loved ones were killed on the ship heading to Brazil. She began to worry for Ronald and their friends. Were they safe? Were they in Old America on their way to see the Oracle? Were they dead? Would she ever see them again? It was all just too much for the poor girl. She did her best to hide it as she met with other Officials of the Cause. There was some good news. The outer continents, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia were willing to help soon as long as soon as they got word that the Cause had confirmation of their ability to take down Dyson. This would, of course, take time.

       When Hope slept, she thought of Ronald, when she was awake, she worked too hard. This was not the life she had wanted. Would they be together again? Would they have children? In time, she would know. The forth night she did not dream of Ronald. She was in a strange town, which was deserted, burned and ruined. A banner hung low across the road, which read, “Central Ellis Celebration- July 17th.” This seemed somewhat familiar, yet she had never been to Ellis. There was a strange man sitting on a porch in the distance. He smiled as if expecting her. She approached him and he said, “hello.”

       “Where am I?” she asked the stranger.

       He smiled and answered, “You know the answer to that, Hope. This is Ellis, the town where you’re Ronald Payne first met William Temple and Edward hall. This is also the place where the three of them will find their destiny.”

       “Edward Hall is dead.”

       “No he’s not. Edward has just been sidetracked. He’s on his way back to his friends as we speak.”

       “Who are you?”

       “I’m Samuel. I’m kind of the reason this is all happening.”

       “How so?”

       “I had a brother once who dreamed of power. One day we found it together but he didn’t like to share.”

       “What do you want from me?”

       “Nothing. I don’t need you. I need them to find me and do what they have to do.”

       “Then why are you telling me this?”

       “I need you to understand their importance so that you don’t worry. You will have no further part to play in this battle. Just wait and you’ll get your answers.”

       Hope awoke in her new bed and looked around the dark room. She was safe, for now. “Who was this Samuel?” She wondered. In time, it would be her friends who found out. She just hoped that they would get the chance to explain.

 



                               The Oracle

 

       It took William and his friends two days to reach the Cause’s outpost in Vegas. There was a man named, Ted, who gave them supplies and some tragic news. “There was an incident with that boat on the way to our base in Brazil,” said Ted.

       “Which one?” asked Ronald, who became worried.

       “The one carrying the men who stayed behind to fight along side you all. One of Dyson’s ships hit it. They’re all dead.”

       There was much grief amongst the group. “That’s terrible,” said Donald. “What about the other ships with the women and children?”

       “They made it out okay,” answered Ted. This relieved Ronald but it didn’t last long. “There’s now talk of a big battle though,” Ted continued. “Dyson challenged them to a showdown near his new base in Old Washington D.C. Our troops march to war in a week.”

       “Will you go?” asked Patrick.

       “I leave here tomorrow. You all just do us a favor and what ever it is that you’re doing, make sure it counts.”

       “It will,” said the Warlock.

       The group ate, prepared, packed the van they were given and took off on their way. They spent the next couple of days following the Warlock’s directions and avoiding enemies until they reached Boston. They reached the Oracle’s fortress on a Friday afternoon. They were not greeted well but once the Warlock assured the guards of who they were, they were led to a main hall, where the Oracle sat in a throne.

       “Hello, my friends,” he said. “I am the Oracle. Where are you…oh yes, you must be the Warlock.”

       “I am,” the Warlock answered.

       “At last, we meet. So William Temple, Ronald Payne, Rick Petrie, Patrick Holdman, Taylor Muldoon, Donald Mackey and his father, and the great Warlock…. I have you all here in front of me but one is missing.”

       “Edward Hall has been a bit…sidetracked.”

       “It was said clearly that he too was supposed to be here.”

       “You were expecting us?” asked William.

       “I was created by the sake of Good and I have only existed now,” said the Oracle. “Once you leave, I will again cease to exist. Nine of you were meant to be here, yet Edward Hall is absent. Do not worry though; we still have time.”

       “He’s not coming,” declared Officer Mackey.

       “Yes, of course not.”

       “Will you tell us what we need to know or not?” asked Ronald.

       “Not yet,” answered the Oracle. I need time and it is a long story. Soon though but for now, my guards will lead you to some sleeping chambers. When the time comes, I will come for you.”

       William and his seven friends were led to a large room with nine bunks. They realized that they were truly expected. Donald, officer Mackey, the Warlock and Patrick all went straight to sleep, while William tried but failed to do so. He would not get any sleep there. Ronald sat in a seat by a window and Taylor joined him.

       “Ronald,” asked Taylor, “is it true you are from New York City?”

       “Yes,” Ronald answered, “but that was a long time ago.”

       “Well I over heard some stuff about you. That the city’s where you met Hope and well…about your parents and Dyson.”

       “You’re a fellow New Yorker?”

       “Yes. This is the closest I’ve been to home in some time. Oh what I would give to go see it again. The city, the buildings, the Statue Of Liberty… have you ever seen her at sunset when it seems like she actually stands for something and nothing could bring her down?”

       “I’ve seen her at sunset years ago. I too would like to see her again.”

       “Maybe together we will.” Ronald sighed and looked to the ground thinking this over. It was a thought.

 

       Several hours later, everyone had finally fallen asleep. William was awoken from his usual dreams to find the Oracle standing before him. “Hello,” said the oracle in a soft manner, “you and I must talk, William.”

       “Oracle?” asked William. “What is it?”

       “There’s something I must show you. I’m sorry I had to waken you. I hope it was nothing too important that you were…seeing.”

       William sighed with grief and answered, “I hate to dream about the one thing that I always wanted but never had. It was the closest thing I’ve ever seen to Heaven. Then I wake up and it still seems so far away and I realize I’ll never have it. This is hell.”

       “I understand completely. No one has ever said it better. Now come, you must see this.”

       William was led to the outside gates, where two guards held Edward down, tied at the wrists. William was both amazed and shocked to see this. The Oracle said, “My men found him trying to sneak in. Is this not Edward Hall?”

       “Yes it is,” answered William.

       “Guards, take him to the prisoner quarters. William and I will deal with him soon enough.”

       “William!” Edward cried. “Help me!”

       William watched his oldest friend get dragged away before asking, “What will you do to him? You won’t kill him will you?”

       “Why do you care?” asked the Oracle. “He betrayed you all.”

       “The Warlock told me that he did it against his will.”

       “Do you trust him?”

       “I have to.”

       “I know; I was just making sure. Then you must go to him and unite. You will need him.” The Oracle then led William to the prisoner quarters, where two men stood guard. The Oracle told them to depart and they did so. Once William was inside with Edward, the oracle stepped aside, where he waited.

 

       William had spent the last few years wanting to say so much to his friend but now he did not know where to begin. They just sat in silence waiting for the other to speak until Edward decided that enough was enough.

       “Are you going to kill me?” asked Edward.

       “Should I?” William shot back.

       “I had a good reason for doing what I did, William.”

       “Oh yeah, Edward? And what was it?”

       “He wants you all dead. He told me that if I went to Hawaii that I could kill you and spare you the pain. Then he would let me go.”

       “And you believed him? You actually trusted him? He’s a liar and a monster.”

        “I had to.”

       “No you didn’t.”

       “I wasn’t going to kill you. I wanted to warn you but you jumped me and unmasked me before I got the chance. Then things went crazy. My plan was shot to hell as soon as his men spotted you. We were lucky Ronald showed up when he did.”

        “If you weren’t going to kill me, then what would you have done, come with us? How did you find us anyways?”

       “The Warlock showed me the way. Look, William, we all have to be together again. We have to stop Dyson once and for all.”

       “How can I trust you?”

       “You once left Ellis, saying you would never leave. Then Myra was murdered and you returned. I didn’t trust you at first but then I found that I couldn’t stay mad at you. I forgave you. Can’t you show me the same courtesy?”

       “I guess you’re right. Well then, what now?”

       “Now, we do what we have to. I heard there’s a war coming and we have to be in it. So where are we anyways?”

       “That man outside is called the Oracle and he has some important information for all of us. He’s going to tell us what we need to do, then we’ll head out.”

       “Then you do trust me?”

       “In time. For now, let’s get out of this cell. We have much more to discuss.”

 

       Two hours later, the Oracle called the nine heroes into his main Hall. William, Ronald, Edward, the Warlock, Officer Mackey, Donald and Rick had spent time talking with each other about what had happened since Edward was taken, while Taylor and Patrick were introduced to their new colleague. Now they all gathered and waited for the Oracle’s wisdom.

       “This is a sad story,” began the Oracle, “one in which you all play major roles. However, there is much you do not know and you will realize that this is beyond all of you, as well as the fact that it has been going on for a couple of centuries time.”

       “You mean Dyson?” asked Ronald.

       “Yes, Ronald but there is more to him than what you’ve all heard. Over the years, you have gathered little wisdom as the Warlock among other messengers have told you what they could at the time. Now I will fill in the gaps as best as I can. So sit in silence and listen, especially you William.”

       “Me?” asked William. “Why me?”

       The Oracle sighed and answered, “Because your role is the most critical of all.”

       “Just listen, William,” said the Warlock. “Soon you will understand.”

       “As I was saying, this story goes back some centuries. The land was powerful and no man could tame it. Indians and the prehistoric humans before them had always stayed away, knowing of its dangers. One day, a team of explorers came across the land while traveling. The leaders of this group were two brothers: Montgomery and Samuel Dyson and they had several men with them. They had gotten lost just above Florida, when they found it. There was a tunnel leading underground and the brothers went in alone to explore it. There they came across a strange platform made of stone, which had a strange rod shaped item hanging from it. The brothers took this key together and were given the land’s power. They remained there for a month, experimenting with these odd new abilities before Montgomery’s greed grew. He began to want the power all to himself, instead of sharing it with his brothers. The camp became split in two; half followed Samuel while the other half obeyed Montgomery. The twisted brother knew what must be done, so he eventually killed Samuel and buried him in the passage where they had gotten the key. Montgomery then ordered his men to kill Samuel’s followers but one escaped and with him, he got hold of the key. Luckily, he got away and was never seen again. Dyson grew angry, killing all of his men in rage, well actually not all of his men. He spared his most ruthless and sinister follower. He gave this man immortality and an almost insane ability to kill. This man would become the Doom-Giver. The Doom-Giver was sent to find the man who had stolen the key, but somehow even he was unable to locate him. So Dyson remained the following years alone there on the land, waiting for word from the Doom-Giver. As the days went by, his power began to fade. He realized that he needed the key back to regain his abilities. If he retained this key, then he had to put it back from where he and his brother had found it and then he would be given the ultimate power. Eventually, a traveler, his wife and their three children came across the land. Dyson did not like outsiders so he killed the man’s family and beat him. He did not kill the man; instead he cursed him with immortality and very little magic. This man is your Warlock, here before us. Dyson knew that he had to find the key or he would lose what left he had of his power. He raised a forest out of the ground to hide the tunnel and created a beast to guard it. This monster would kill any who entered those woods. So Dyson departed and searched for this key. He lost his primary abilities but remained immortal. He began to gain financial power so that when he had the key, no one could stop him. As for the Warlock, he was left all alone, keeping his distance from the beast. One day a group of settlers came across the land. Their leader was named, Hector C. Gold and he was a good man. The Warlock was misunderstood and banished away into the woods as these settlers built a home on the land, just outside of the forest. They called their new town Ellis, after Gold’s younger brother who had died when they were children. The beast began killing any who came near its woods and the Warlock was blamed so the woods were off limits. Sometime later, one of the settlers named, Axel McNeal, became very upset with Gold and began a group of rebels who wanted him out. The town was divided and this was the beginning of the “Great Split.” A battle was fought and a few died but when Gold won, McNeal was not executed; he, his family and his followers were exiled, never to be seen there again. Years went by and the beast continued to kill any who came into the woods. The Warlock had had enough. He eventually hunted the beast down and killed it once and for all. The murders then ended but the legend went on. The Warlock would not find peace in for time. Gold then died and the centuries went by. Some were brought to the town and started families. Others were brought there to die, either for their own peace or for a purpose. Barnaby Woodcock came and died there so that he could bring my book to you, William.”

       “You’re book?” asked William, who pulled the old book from his backpack and held it tightly.

       “Yes, answered the Oracle. “It was I who wrote it. I supplied the mysterious amount of books and money into the secret account. It was one of the jobs I was given to by Samuel Dyson.”

       “I thought he was dead?” asked Donald.

       “Yes but I see him from time to time. He remains there in Ellis, at that crypt waiting. So as I said, Woodcock died there for this purpose, as did Willard Kelley and Billy Partridge among others.”

       “What about Snake Willis?” asked Edward.

       The Oracle sighed and answered, “Yes, well his real name was Scott Cruise. As I said, some were brought there so that they could find peace. He came there so that the Warlock could help him achieve this. He was just a mere helpless soul, who we pitied.”

       “So you gave Willard the lists?” asked William. “And you showed the others the dreams and messages?”

       “Yes. Well I advised the Warlock to guide an angel to Carl, the old town drunk. You see, everything that happened in Ellis happened for a reason. Even the deaths were for a purpose, especially the harder ones.”

       “What about the key that vanished?” asked Officer Mackey.

       “Dyson continues to look for it. Once he has it he can return to Ellis and gain the ability to take over the whole world, as he has done with your America. However, you do not have far to look. Patrick Holdman here has it around his neck.”

       “What?” asked Patrick. “This old thing? It’s been in my family for years.”

       “Of course it has,” answered the Oracle. “The man who claimed it and hid away from Dyson was your ancestor. He passed it down through his family’s bloodlines until it came to you. Now William will need it to complete his destiny.”

       “Why me?” asked William.

       “Because it is your destiny. If you do this then you will be given the ultimate power and can end it once and for all. If Dyson gets it, then we are all doomed.”

       “So what do we do next?” asked the Warlock.

       “There is going to be a war fought in Old Washington D.C. by the end of the week. The Cause can win, yet it is too weak. You all must journey to New York City. I believe Ronald Payne and Taylor Muldoon know it well.”

       “Yes,” said Taylor in sudden awe, “we do.”

       “What’s in New York?” asked Ronald.

       “Dyson has a dungeon there,” answered the Oracle. “One in which hundreds of the Cause’s troops are being held. Since most of Dyson’s forces will be going to battle, it will only be lightly guarded. Free the soldiers and then march to battle.”

       “Is there anything else?” asked William.

       “Yes. Don’t fail. So much depends on you.”

       The heroes then all talked this over and made the necessary agreements. It was decided that Rick, Officer Mackey, Donald and the Warlock would go to battle in Old Washington D.C. while William, Edward, Ronald, Taylor and Patrick would take a boat along the ocean to New York City so that they could free the slaves. They hated to split up but hoped to be reunited at the battle’s end. They ate dinner, drank a bit of wine and spent one more night in the Oracle’s company. The next morning they would split up into their two groups and march to death and glory.

 



                     The Company Goes East

 

       Dyson sat in the main office of the former White House in Old Washington D.C. He stared out of the large window onto what would soon be a battlefield. All of his troops have gathered onto the property and were waiting for war. Caleb, Ms. Gale, Rufus, Dimitri, the Doom-Giver and Chris Norton all stood beside him, waiting for whatever came next. However, he had plans for these individuals and most would not see the battle. “Caleb,” he said, “I have a job for you.”

       “What is it, sir?” asked Caleb.

       “I need you to go to the old Police headquarters and bring back as many weapons as you can find. I would like to have some back up arsenal so that if this battle goes on longer than we expect, we don’t have to worry of running out so soon.”

       “Yes sir.”

       “And take Rufus and Dimitri with you.”

       “Excuse me, sir?”

       “You heard me. Rufus, take the bus parked out back.”

       Dimitri noticed the look in Dyson’s eye and realized that their time was finally here. They had secretly made an agreement with Dyson and now they would get what they asked for. The three men headed out the door. Ms. Gale met with Caleb in secret before he left.

       “I don’t like this,” she cried as they held each other.

       “I don’t like it either,” he replied.

       “I can’t believe I ever loved Dimitri.”

       “It’s over now. Don’t worry, my love. Soon, this war will be over and we’ll have what’s ours.”

       “Come back safe.”

       “I will,” he said with a sigh before kissing her goodbye. Then he, Rufus and Dimitri boarded the old bus and took off towards their destination. Caleb had a bad feeling about this.

       Ms. Gale returned to Dyson’s office and quietly sat with him, the Doom-Giver and Chris.

       “What about us, boss?” asked Chris.

       Dyson sighed and answered, “Well Chris, Ms. Gale and the Doom-Giver will stay with me as my bodyguards. But I have a special job for you. It’s time for you to go home.”

       “I have no home.”

       “I mean you have to return to Ellis.”

       “Why Ellis? I hate it there.”

       “Soon, I will be on my way there and I want you to make sure it’s perfectly clear for my arrival. Do you understand me?”

       “Yes, sir.”

      “Good then get going. And we’ll see you soon.”

       Chris slowly left the room and boarded one of the other buses, along with twelve of Dyson’s troops. He headed south, back to Ellis where his destiny was waiting for him.

       Dyson remained quiet, leaving Ms. Gale and the Doom-Giver wondering what he would decide next. His army was ready for battle and soon they would fight and kill any who opposed him.

 

       In Boston, the time had come for William and his allies to depart. The Oracle gave them some final caution and they marched off out into the old town. As they got farther away from the Oracle’s fortress they could see that it vanished. “Where did it go?” asked William.

       “Back into non-existence,” the Warlock replied. “None of it was ever alive and so you see, that was it’s only purpose: to show us what must be done. Now let’s go. We have to go on our way.”

       “So I guess this is it for a while,” said Donald.

       “That’s right,” answered Ronald.

       “We’ll see you soon,” promised Officer Mackey.

       “Yes, you will,” said William.

       “Be careful out there,” said Rick.

       “You too,” said Edward.

       And so Officer Mackey, Donald, Rick and the Warlock marched south while William, Edward, Ronald, Patrick, and Taylor headed east. Each group would see much danger in the coming days as well as great loss.

 

       In Brazil, Hope sat worried about this coming war. Everyone in her base watched as the men departed on their way to war. It was the same in the North as well as the small camps throughout the old country. The armies would meet outside of the former White House in Old Washington D.C. and wait for battle. Hope wished she could go too but knew she couldn’t. All of her hopes now lie with her husband and their friends, out somewhere in the danger zone.

 

       William, Edward, Ronald, Patrick, and Taylor marched on their way, hoping to be in New York City within a couple of days. Only time would tell if it was a wise decision. It’s just a good thing for some of our heroes that if you were born in Ellis, then you die in Ellis.



© 2011 Robert Donald Brooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on November 14, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011


Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing