Part Three: Dawn Of Heroes

Part Three: Dawn Of Heroes

A Chapter by Robert Donald Brooks
"

William Temple returns home to those he left behind after a dark tragedy. He, Edward Hall and drifter, Ronald Payne, must put their differences aside in order to save the town from a dangerous force.

"

                                   Part Three:

                                Dawn Of Heroes

 



                                     A Villain’s Plot

 

       Donovan was a very angry and vengeful man. He was raised his whole life to hate Ellis and it’s citizens. Now in his fifties, it was his responsibility, given to him by his grandfather, to lead their scorned people back to the town to claim it as theirs. It had been so long since his ancestors were forced out of Ellis, left for dead. They had found a life outside of town. Miles from it, they had a small village made up of cabins. This is where they plotted but it wasn’t their home; they only had one true home. They would soon go back and have their revenge. Donovan had chosen two young people to assist him in his quest. Chris Norton, who had been born in Ellis, had a cold heart. He had his own reasons for helping Donovan. The other was the young Pucker Tyson, who Donovan had made his right hand man. He knew the young man, who was also a descendent of the accursed people of Ellis, would do anything for their union. The families were joining together again. The time had come. However, for their war to begin, they needed an event to mark their declaration. Someone in Ellis had to die.

       Since the beginning, Pucker was supposed to fight and destroy the hero, William Temple. But William had recently disappeared, so it was decided that the one to die would have to be someone close to William; someone he loved. When Chris received word that the time had come, he felt a sharp sense of pride. He knew he was the right man for the job and he would finally have his chance to really hurt the only person that to him was ever worth hating. William’s true love would die by his hands. He just knew it.

      

       Myra Wilson had been torn to pieces when her beloved William left Ellis, never to return. Not even his mother or his best friend, Edward, knew where he was. Everyone else went on with their lives but the three people who loved him the most could never forget. Not even Myra’s best friend, Amelia Dillon, could help. Over time, Amelia also felt that Edward, who was her boyfriend, had become more and more distant. And it was rightfully so. William and Edward had spent their whole lives together. They both agreed that if they ever left Ellis, it would be together. But that was a dead dream. William broke their friendship. He had left town without his best friend. He had abandoned them all. Myra was a constant wreck. She barely left her house, and boy did people talk. There was gossip that she might hurt herself, just like that brokenhearted door-to-door salesman, or maybe even leave Ellis, in hopes of finding him. But in all of this pain and sadness, none of them ever gave up. They all hoped that they would see William Temple again. After all, if you were born in Ellis, you die in Ellis. Ronald Payne had even begun to worry, which he hoped no one had noticed. He didn’t know what was happening but he knew it had something to do with William. He just hoped he had made the right choice coming to Ellis.

       Chris had planned everything out, ever so cleverly. He became hungry for destroying the girl, stalking outside of her bedroom window. He waited until everyone, including her, went to sleep and then entered her room through the window. He gagged her and took her away from Ellis, back to the Exiled people’s small village. When Myra awoke, she found herself surrounded by Chris, his father, Roger Norton and a few strangers. The blue haired boy introduced himself as Pucker Tyson. She was unsure about the others, besides overhearing one being referred to as Mr. Dawson. She began to cry out loud for help but it was useless. No one could hear her screams. Everyone left her alone with the blue-headed Pucker boy. Chris was a bit reluctant at first, thinking that he would be the one who would get to kill her but gave up when the one she figured to be the leader told him that it was not his time. When the door was shut and they were all alone, Pucker told Myra all of the terrible things he was going to do to her and showed her the items he was going to use to kill her.

      I just can’t bear to bring myself to tell you the things he did. He literally destroyed that poor beautiful young girl. The worst part was that he didn’t stop with the murder or even leave her body in Ellis. He and Chris took one of the group’s trucks and the two monsters took her far away to Washington D.C. and hung her body at the Lincoln memorial for all to see. The news was all over the country. This was the first time that the rest of the world had paid any attention to Ellis but it was under the wrong circumstances. Ellis had lost a beloved friend but it wouldn’t be long before the right people got the unfortunate news.

      

       Donovan McNeal congratulated Chris and Pucker on a job well done. They had hurt Ellis and all that was left was for the families to unite together and invade Ellis. They had to take it back and make it theirs again.  “We have made the first strike,” Donovan told his young friends. “Now we will wait for the right time to lead our people in, and when we do…we will take Ellis as our home, just as it should have been all of those years ago.”

       “What comes next, sir?” Pucker asked.      

       “Chris will return to Ellis,” Donovan said. He looked to Chris, and smiled. “You have had a terrible life in Ellis. No one has ever regarded you. You’ve lived your whole life in the great Hero’s shadow. Everyday that you are there, you must look at them all and remind yourself of this fact. Use it as fuel to ignite your anger. Our day of triumph will be your day as well.”

       “But what of the Hero,” Chris asked? “Do you think he’ll come back?”

       “Don’t worry about him,” Donovan answered. “That whole hero thing is an old children’s tale. William Temple has been missing for a long time. He won’t ever return to Ellis. He’s no hero.”

       “Why do you say that?” Pucker asked confused with why Donovan seemed to know so much.

       “Because this is the real world,” Donovan proudly declared. “This is a time for bad men. There aren’t any heroes left in the world.” Even when he was so sure of himself and what he was saying, Donovan McNeal could never realize how wrong he was. There was a hero; there was a champion. He had just lost his way. All he needed was a sign, something to point him in the right direction. It was sadly just an unfortunate sign.

 

       William Temple just might have been the last person in the country to find out about what some monster had done to the love of his life. He found out about the bad news when he saw it on the cover of a Tampa newspaper. He ripped out the article and returned to his apartment above the bar, where he read the article over and over again. His seclusion worried his colleagues, Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron Mcloven but he couldn’t let that bother him at the time being. He knew he had to do something and in between all the crying and heartache, he realized what it was. He just hoped he could bring himself to do it. He hoped he could get back.

       First he had to make a phone call; one he tried to make so many times before but failed. He had to talk to his oldest friend. He had to hear his voice. But above all, he had to prepare for his return to Ellis, where the ultimate battle between good and evil would soon be fought. This was the beginning of the end.




  The Return

 

       He had been carrying the article he ripped out of the newspaper around in his jacket pocket for a week. He knew then that he should never have left. He had made the worst choice of his life. Looking in the mirror, he realized he wasn’t even the same person anymore. The beard he grew out of amusement had grown maybe too long. He looked ten years older than he actually was. He picked up the phone in the bar and dialed a number he could never forget, hoping to get an answer. The familiar voice didn’t seem so familiar anymore. He had to fight out his words. “Hey…” he said, “it’s me. I just heard… I need to see you.”

       “William,” the voice at the other end cried in shock, “is that you? Where are you?”

       “It doesn’t matter anymore,” William answered. “I need to see you. I need to… see it. I need to know it’s true.”

       The person on the other end of the line agreed to meet William on the outskirts of Ellis, at the same place William had slept walked to so long before. They would meet there in two days time. After they said their goodbyes, William hung up and packed his things. The next morning he said his goodbyes to his friends, Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron Mcloven, promising to one day send word to them of how things worked out. He then got on a bus that wouldn’t know where Ellis was. He would have to get off somewhere and walk the rest of the way. But that was fine with him. He just had to get there; he had to see his friend. Soon, William would have to make his decision and the battle of good and evil would be fought in the town of Ellis.

      

       It was nighttime. An exhausted William Temple waited by the sign that read, “Welcome To Ellis. Just Five Miles Ahead.” Just as he promised, Edward Hall pulled up in his truck and got out to greet his long lost friend.

       “Hey,” William said. “Nice wheels.”

       Edward was shocked at the sight of the man that his childhood friend had become. “William,” he said, “you look terrible.” Both found themselves laughing over this. “When did you hear?”

       “Right before I called you,” William answered. He pulled the article he ripped from the newspaper out of his jacket pocket. “It says it was really bad. There wasn’t a picture but as soon as I saw her name and the words ‘Town of Ellis,’ I knew something was wrong. She was murdered, Eddie.”

       “Yeah I know,” Edward said. “It’s all wrong. Somebody did this out of hate. They knew what they were doing. But besides all of that, I find myself here trying to put together pieces of a different puzzle. My best friend, the great hero of Ellis, who disappeared without a sight, is here. Back to make things right.”

       “It’s not like that,” William pleaded. “I know now. I should never have left. I was supposed to stay here. Myra would still be alive.” He zoned out a bit. “I could have protected her. I could have saved her.”

       “But instead, you left and she died. Where were you?”

       “All over.” He breathed deep and smiled a bit. “I found my father.”

       Edward became a bit shocked and curious. “How is he? What did he say to you?”

       “I never saw him. He’s dead. It was cancer that did it a long time ago. I was staying with some friends of his in Tampa, Florida.”

       Edward decided to change the subject to William’s other parent. “You know you broke your mothers heart, just like he did.”

       “Yeah, I know. But I’m back.”

       “It’s not that simple. You were my best friend. You vanished. Now all I have left is my family, your mom and Amelia.” Sighs. “Ronald Payne too, for some reason.”

       “Ronald Payne?”

       “Don’t ask.” Pause. “So you want to go see her?”

       “Of course I do.”

       “Then let’s go.”

       William and Edward got in the car and Edward drove to the cemetery. As they approached Myra’s grave, they came across the graves of Barnaby Woodcock, Scott Cruise a.k.a. Snake Willis, Billy Partridge, Joseph McGregor, and Willard Kelley. This brought back memories for William. He recalled the stories of the Door-to-Door salesman and the rock star but Billy, Willard and Joseph affected him more; he had known them. This put William’s life back a bit in perspective. When they came to Myra’s grave, Edward kept his distance. William stood at the spot where the love of his life had been buried, then dropped to his knees. He read the tombstone, and began to cry. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

       He cried there for a time, then rose and turned to his friend. “All right, Edward,” he said. “Let’s go home.”

      

       Wendy Temple was most shocked to find her son home again. They hugged and cried for a while and then she told him how angry she was with him for leaving. They cried some more and then she set up his room for him. It was just as he left it. He shaved, got a shower and went to bed. The next morning, Ronald Payne was down at the Barbershop helping Mr. Albertan. In the past months, he had become more friendly and helpful with the towns folk. This was all thanks to Edward, who had somewhat befriended the stranger. When Ronald saw William approaching the down town area, his first response was, “I’ll be damned…” But then when he saw the others surrounding William with hugs and cheers of joy, he backed off and went inside the barbershop to cool off.

       That night, William had dinner with his mom at Myrtle’s Diner. They barely said a word, other than how everyone was happy to see William home again. He knew that it would be a while before things were worked out between him and Edward. Hopefully his friend would see that he was back for good. There was always that fear though of what was to come next. The evil had not come to take Ellis while he was away, which he was thankful for. But he knew that this rumored evil was what killed Myra. Whatever it was that was coming, he was now ready for it. His beloved would not die in vain. He would lead Ellis into battle against the invaders. That was his destiny; his purpose. He just hoped that his best friend would come along for the ride.

 



                                      Dead Faces

 

       A week after William Temple came home, the nightmares returned. Ronald Payne just couldn’t take it anymore. The last time this had happened, William had left. Now Ronald found himself once again surrounded by shadows of the dead. In his dreams, he would see Willard Kelley who had died over a year earlier. There were others he didn’t recognize. Some salesman would tell him that he had a purpose in Ellis. He just couldn’t believe it though. He was no one. His life wasn’t even worth living; how could he save anyone?

       One dark and stormy night, Ronald’s hallucinations led him into the streets, where he screamed out the names of his mother and father and then passed out unconscious. Father West discovered young Ronald and then took him back to the church for shelter and rest. Four days later, Ronald awoke in the church, and found Father West sitting nearby. “Good morning, Ronald,” the priest said kindly.

       Ronald rose in near panic. “How did I get here? What am I doing in this church?”

       “I found you in the streets, unconscious. There was a storm, so I couldn’t just leave you. What were you doing out there?”

       “None of your business, Padre. Look I’m thankful for all your help and all but I’ve gotta’ get going?”

       “How long has it been, Ronald?”

       “How long has what been?

       “That you’ve been seeing things.”

       Ronald then became a little uneasy. “How the hell do you know about that?”

       “What do you see, Ronald?”

       “I see them in my dreams. Its always dead people, most who I have never even seen before in my life. They’re telling me things; they say that I too can be a hero.”

       “They want to show you the way. The faces you see are of those who have been claimed by Ellis: a salesman, a rock star and a child-prophet among others. If you were to mention this to William Temple, then he would be put on edge. So many of these reflections you’ve seen have mattered so much to him.”

       “How do you know all of this?”

       “Because I have seen these things as well.”

       “You have?”

       “Yes but were not the only ones. Carl, get in here!” Carl, the bum, enters instantly at the Priest’s request. “I believe you know Carl here. He is known as the town drunk, the town bum and the town fool. But Carl here is more important to Ellis than anyone could ever imagine. Tell him why, my friend.”

       “A few years ago,” Carl said, “I was blessed with a vision. A messenger in the form of an angel came to me. It showed me things I didn’t want to believe but had to. Doom is coming to Ellis and it is up to the few who were meant for greatness to stop it.”

       “So what?” Ronald shot back, “You’re saying that I’m one of these guys who are meant to do good? News flash boys, I’m no hero. And in case you forgot, William Temple’s back so talk to him about greatness.”

       “How long ago was it that you came here, Ronald Payne?” Carl asked. “Why did you leave Dade City? What happened to your parents?”

       “How do you know about all of that?”

       “Because it is all in my mind now,” Carl answered. “The evil is gathering not too far in the distance. When the time comes we will be all that stands in their way of destroying Ellis.”

       Ronald sighed and asked, “So what do I do?”

       “Prepare to fight,” Father West answered.

       Over the next few weeks, Edward Hall saw less and less of Ronald. He just figured he was losing yet another potential friendship, still not trusting his childhood friend, William Temple. Elsewhere, Ronald had begun working hard to get in shape. His visions and nightmares had ceased but he never stopped to worry. If there really were some dark evil coming to Ellis, he would fight it. He would protect the town he had secretly grown to love. It was only a matter of time before the circle of heroes was complete.

 



   Plans Of War

 

       Chris Norton had become a bit of a celebrity with the Exiles now that he had proven his loyalty. He did not get to kill Myra Wilson as he had hoped; yet he felt good about it. Pucker Tyson did the job well enough and there was still the hope that he would be the one to kill Myra’s beloved William Temple. So Chris sat alone in his room happy with himself, until there was a knock at the door. “Come in,” he called.

       Donovan McNeal entered seeming pleased. “Christopher,” he said. “The time is finally upon us. William Temple has come home. Pack your things, your going home.”

       “Why? I thought everything is going as planned?”

       “No my boy, not exactly as planned. Remember, I had hoped that he would never come back. I wanted to use the girl as a warning never to return or he would end up the same way. I never expected that her death would inspire him to come home and vow to stop us.”

       “So why do I have to go back to Ellis? I hate it there. It’s bad enough I have to lie to them all when I go back. They think I’m staying with relatives. My mother hasn’t even caught on yet. I want to stay here.”

       “Don’t you understand, Chris? This is the beginning. It’s all up to you. I hate when you leave and when you return from your monthly visits, the whole camp is overjoyed. Unfortunately, that is the way it has to be. But don’t worry; this will be the last time you have to go back. You will wait for my signal. In a week, we will attack Ellis. I’m only sending in a small team for our first strike. This is our warning. We will hit all of them. We will burn the Temple home to the ground, I promise you. Many lives will be taken. After this first strike, they will have a month. Anyone who is wise enough will leave Ellis, never to return. And when we go back, anyone that stands in our way of taking the town will be killed. Do you understand, Christopher?”

       “Yes, sir.”

       “Good. Now get packed and say goodbye to your father. You have a long journey ahead of you.”

       “Yes sir.”

       Donovan was pleased with himself. No one could manipulate others as well as he could. Over the years, he had grown very confident and sure of himself. He just knew that no one could stop him at that point. However, he had not yet met William Temple. About five hours after Chris Norton left the village to return to Ellis, Donovan held a gathering of his closest comrades. Among them were Mr. Dawson, Roger Norton, Pucker Tyson and Three of Donovan’s closest henchmen. The topic of discussion: their first strike.

       “So as I sit here with you now my friends,” Donovan started, “Roger’s son, Chris, who we have all grown fond of, is returning to Ellis. He is the key figure here.”

       “That’s my boy,” Roger said with much pride. “I always knew he had it in him.”

       “He still has to do his part first,” Mr. Dawson moaned.

       “What exactly is his mission, Donovan?” Roger asked.

       “To be there when we strike,” Donovan answered. “My three closest henchmen here don’t know Ellis’s landscapes and secrets. When their small team attacks, Chris will lead Number One to city Hall, where the Mayor will be trapped. Once the commander in chief is dead, Ellis will have no leader”.

       “What of the hero?” Mr. Dawson asked.

       “His home is to be destroyed,” Number One replied. “We will find William Temple and destroy him.”

       “That is how we will put fear into their hearts,” Number Three added. “We will make an example of this alleged hero.”

       “It will not be so easy,” Mr. Dawson cut in. “See this hero has friends. Some he knows about, others he doesn’t. Willard Kelley is a fine example.”

       “Willard Kelley is dead,” Pucker remarked. “I killed him.”

       “Yes, we al know,” Mr. Dawson continued. “But, you have to understand. William Kelley has more than just a few friends; at least that is what the prophet fellow told us, before the boss cut off his head. Anyway, what I’m saying is that William Temple will never be alone. He will always have allies and that is his strength.”

       “Then we will kill his friends,” Number Two argued.

       “We will do whatever is necessary,” Number One agreed.

       “Please let me finish,” Mr. Dawson went on. “We have a new problem that I have recently become aware of. The one who knows everything is in Ellis. He was seen marching that way about three days ago. Unfortunately, no one could see his face so identifying him will be impossible. If he gets to the hero then Temple will learn too much. There may be no stopping him at that point.”

       “I don’t care if William Temple has a hundred friends!” Donovan declared. “We will kill them all.”

       “Just thought I’d mention this is all, boss,” Mr. Dawson said.

       “Then it is up to you to find out whoever this threat is. He is now your responsibility to get rid of.”

       “Yes, sir,” Mr. Dawson replied.

       “I still don’t understand why you sent Christopher instead of me,” Pucker argued. “I thought I was supposed to kill Temple.”

       “In time, boy,” Donovan said. “We all have a job to do. In time, we will get what has been coming to us finally after all this time. Soon, Ellis will be ours.”

      

       That night, after the meeting, Roger Norton sat in his room and thought deeply about the choices he had made. He was not surprised when one of Donovan’s henchman, Number Three, appeared from the shadows. “So you know what I need you to do for me, right?” Roger asked.

       “Yes, I know,” Number Three answered.

       “What is her name?”

       “Elvira Norton.”

       “Who is she?

       “She is your wife and the mother of your son.”

       “And what must you do?”

       “I must kill her.”

       “And Chris can never find out. It is important that he never knows. Elvira is the only thing that I have ever really cared about, other than Chris I mean. I know she loves me but she could never understand. I want to spare her. She’d only get hurt later anyways. Do you understand, Number Three?”

       “I do not love. I am a protector and a killer. That is my purpose.”

       Roger just thought this over and sighed. “Leave me.”

       Number Three vanished as quickly as he appeared. “I’m sorry, Elvyra. I’m so sorry.” Roger had made a choice, rather a sacrifice. He gave up the woman he loved for this pledge he had made. In time, Elvira Norton would die for the sake of that pledge. This knowledge might have been the only thing that could have stopped Chris from doing what was expected of him.

     



                              Lessons From The Past

 

       One morning, William Temple awoke in his bed, after a long sleep full of nightmares from his past. In these dreams he had seen Joseph McGregor, Billy Partridge, Willard Kelley, his father and his beloved Myra Wilson. For some reason, he could never get them out of his head. He felt as if he had failed them; that it was his fault that they had died. When he went downstairs, his mother was waiting for him with strange news. Apparently, someone had left a note on their front door asking for William to meet them at the town’s library. Wendy told her son that she had not seen whoever had left the note and that it was there when she awoke. After examining the letter over and over again for a good five minutes, William decided that he should head to the library and see who this person was for himself. So he got dressed, kissed his mother goodbye and headed out towards the library.

       The thought had occurred to William that it could all be a set up. Maybe it was a trap set up by the enemy and they were waiting to kill him. This thought bothered him so he shrugged it off and hoped for something better. Maybe Edward had decided to finally forgive him and he wanted to meet to talk about it. He couldn’t really blame Edward for being angry with him. He knew he had done wrong when he left. It couldn’t have been too big of a surprise for William to find that he had moved on. Although, he never imagined that Edward could ever befriend someone like Ronald Payne. Ever since he showed up in Ellis, Ronald had not been very liked by the people of Ellis. He never showed any liking for them either. But since William had left and Edward and Ronald became friends, people seemed to not mind Ronald so much. In fact, he had become quite handy in town. William felt as if he had lost Ellis’ trust to Ronald. This thought had hurt him very much.

       When he reached the library, William went inside to find Mrs. Nacelle at the front desk talking on the phone, probably with her husband, who had lately been very busy. Running the town paper had proven hard enough for Mr. Nacelle, yet now with all that has happened with Myra and recent strange rumors, the paper was packed with stories. William wandered around the library, finding no sign of anyone wanting to talk with him. After about an hour, he had decided to give up but the sound of whistling from the upstairs part of the building changed all that. William climbed the stairs and found a strange man, probably in his thirties, wearing all black, sitting at a desk with his feet up. He was reading a book and whistling. William wondered how the stranger had even seen him.     

       “Hello there,” the man called without looking away from the book. “Took you long enough, I’ve been waiting here for hours.”

       “I got your letter when I woke up, “William stated. “I expected someone I knew or maybe even cared about. But I don’t know you, nor do I care. So just cut the garbage and tell me who you are and what you want.”

        “You know who I am, William,” the man answered as he put down the book. “Your friend Willard spoke of me the night he died, remember?”

       William then recalled the night. Willard had spoken of this man in his last dying words. “The know it all?” William asked. That’s who you are?”

       “Yes, that is I” the Know It All replied, “and I come to you now when you need guidance the most. On your journeys you tried to put everyone and everything you ever cared about deep in the back of your mind, so that you could make a better future for yourself. You thought you could escape from your destiny but then it found you. Did you really think that it was mere coincidence that you learned of Myra’s death in the news? People have died just the same in Ellis but it was never announced in the major news before. That is why they took her body out of Ellis and displayed it for all to see. They knew it would be in newspapers all over the country and that is the first time Ellis has ever been mentioned. Few even knew it existed before this.”

        William became a bit uncomfortable. “I don’t want to hear any more of this. Leave me alone.” William turned away.

       “I can’t leave you alone, it won’t let me.”

       William turned back. “What won’t let you?”

       “Our destinies. We are now connected forever. We fight for the same cause, William. I know it’s hard for you to understand but you must. The bad guys did this to Myra because they wanted you to know about it. Though they did not want you to come back home. They meant for you to be scared into staying away but thankfully it failed. Now here you are.”

       “But why?”

       “Because a war is coming, one that will decide the fate of us all. You see, years ago, after the enemy was exiled, they met a man. I don’t know who or what he was, I know it’s ironic since who I am and what my name is but I do know that he was an evil man. He promised to protect them and offered them the chance to one day return and reclaim Ellis as their own but there was a cost. If these men take Ellis, that will only be the beginning. They will rise, and one day they will claim the world.”

       “I don’t understand. Wouldn’t this guy be dead by now?”

       “I don’t know. He vanished sometime ago and no one has heard of him ever since.”

       “What does all of this even mean? What do they really want?”

       “I don’t know.”

       In confusion, William began to get less patient. “I thought you know everything!”

       “It’s just a nickname; a metaphor. I don’t really know everything, I just know more than everyone else.”

       “Like what?”

       “I know that when Joseph McGregor died, it broke Sandra Becket’s heart. No one ever loved Willard Kelley. Billy Partridge’s parents were supposed to die, other wise he would never have come to Ellis. Myra died as a warning for you.”

       “I’ve heard enough!” William turned and began to head out but what the Know It All had to say next stopped him from leaving.

       “I know why your father left, William.”

       “What did you say?”

        “Did you really believe that your father could just abandon you? He loved you, William. He didn’t want to leave. He wanted to see you grow and become a man with a family of your own. But it wouldn’t be that way. Gulliver Temple left because he had to.”

       “Oh yeah? What about the old saying then, huh? ‘If you’re born in Ellis, you die in Ellis.’ What about that? He didn’t die in Ellis. He died in Tampa, Florida.”

       “Think about it, William. It will all make since once you find out the truth.”

       “Then tell me. Tell me the truth.”

       “I’ve told you enough. You’ll have to see it for yourself. Come with me and I’ll show you the way. We have to go out into the woods. We have to find the Warlock so he can tell you everything that you need to know. Then at last, it will all make sense to you.”

       “I don’t want to go back to those woods. I already tried talking to the Warlock. He didn’t help me at all. If he would have, I may not have even left.”

       “Don’t you understand, William? You were supposed to leave. You had to leave and then lose so that you would realize your true calling. The time has come for you to prepare. Come with me. You will finally get some of the answers you deserve.”

       “You know what? I think I’m going to go home.”

       “Good, if that’s what it takes for you to see. And when you get home just ask your mother why your father left.”

       “She doesn’t know why. He left her too.”

       “Are you so sure about that?”

       “Yes, positive. I’m out of here.” William turned and took off.

       “Just ask her, William,” the Know It all shouted as William vanished down the stairs. “Just ask her!”

 

       William returned home to find his mother sitting at the kitchen table. He got a glass of orange juice and sat with her. He didn’t want to ask her about his father but now he knew that he must.

       “Mom,” he began, “do you know why dad left?”

       “What do you mean?” she cried. “Why are you so worried about this now?”

       “When I was in Tampa, I found out what happened to dad. I found the bar he was working at and I worked there too. I lived in the same upstairs apartment he had. He died of cancer, that’s what his friends said. The problem is, I don’t understand why he died in Tampa. What happened to, “If you’re born in Ellis, you die in Ellis?’ why didn’t dad die here mom?”

       “Because your father wasn’t born here. He’s among a few that wasn’t, including the Norton’s.”

       “Why haven’t you spoken of this before?”

       “I didn’t want to upset you. Your father was an orphan. He knew he didn’t belong here. That is why he left. He loved you; it hurt him to leave but we both knew it was what he had to do.”

       “But why? Why couldn’t he stay?”

       “Because something bad would have happened.”

       “Like what?”

       “Things in Ellis don’t work like they do in the rest of the world. If he’d stayed, the coming chain of events would have changed. It was expected…more like needed of him to leave. For all we know, you could have been killed as a result of him staying. It’s hard to say. That was his path, William. His destiny.”

       William sighed and said, “Well, now I have to go find mine.” He then stood.

       “Where are you going?” his mother asked with worry.

       “To find my destiny.” William then left his home and headed out of town, back towards the woods. It was there that he would find all of the answers he had wanted. William found the Know It All waiting for him at the tree line, on the edge of the woods.

        “Hello, William,” he called. I knew you’d come.”

        “Well here I am,” William said.

        “What made you decide to come?”

        “I did what you told me. I asked my mother about my father. You were right. He wasn’t even born here.”

        “I understand your pain but now we must go into the woods. He’s waiting for us?”

       “How do you know?”

       “Come on, its me.” The two shared some laughter on this subject. “Now come, my friend. We must go while there is still some light.”

       The two headed into the woods, not truly knowing what to expect. They journeyed for an hour, before they came upon the broken down old house. It was just as William remembered it. Nothing had changed in all those years.

       The Warlock casually came out of the house’s front door and approached the two travelers. “Hello,” he said. “Good to see you two, especially you William. It’s been a long time.”

       “Yes, it has,” William responded. “Too long. I only hope that this visit is more eventful.”

       “Oh it is, William,” the Warlock said. “This time, I’m going to show you some things that you need to know. Wait here, Know It All. We’ll be inside. Be back soon.”

       “Yes, sir,” the Know It All answered.

       William followed the Warlock into the house, leaving The Know It All alone outside. Inside, the place looked not nearly as bad as it did on the outside.

       “Welcome to my home, William,” the Warlock said. “It’s not pleasant, but it’s all I have.”

       “It’s fine,” William said. “So what do you need to tell me this time? Or rather, what can’t you tell me?”

       “It’s not like that, my boy. Things are changing; the enemy is near. This time you’re going to find out everything you ever wanted or needed to know concerning your father and these people.”

       “Like my father? Why Joseph died?”

       “Everything, William. Your father, Joseph, Billy, Willard, Myra…everything.”

       “So tell me. Tell me everything. Is it all written down in a book or do you just have it all memorized?”

       “You will not hear it from me. Two of your old friends are going to show you.”

       “What do you mean? What two friends?”

       The Warlock pointed down the hall to a red door and said, “See that red door? Inside is everything you need. You must go in there, William. But you must go in alone. I cannot come with you.”

       “What’s in there?”

       “Like I said; answers.”

      William still found this all very hard to believe. “So I just go in there and I’ll learn everything?”

       “Tot everything,” the Warlock answered with pride. “Just what you need for the coming battle.”

       “Fine, I’ll play along. I just hope that there’s not a trap in there waiting for me.”

       “I am not the enemy, William.”

       “Right, of course not,” William said with a sigh and headed down the hall, until he came upon the door. He reached for the doorknob, hesitated, then took a deep breath, opened the door, and went in.

       Once inside, William found himself in a dark room filled with what appeared to be fog. He began hearing voices all around him and was shook up when he realized they were calling his name.

       “Who are you?” he asked. Beginning to feel afraid, he loudly asked again, “Who are you?”

       “Hello, William,” one of the voices called from right behind him. He turned in fright to find Willard Kelley, wearing all black, with a smile on his face.

       “Willard?” William asked. “How? It can’t be you. You’re dead.”

       “Yeah and so is Joseph.”

       “Joseph?”

       “That’s right, old friend,” Joseph called as he came out of the darkness and joined Willard. Filled with shock and fright, William couldn’t say much. “He seems afraid, doesn’t he, Willard?”

       “Afraid indeed, Joseph,” Willard agreed. “Can’t really blame him though, can we?”

       “This is impossible,” William argued. “You two can’t be here, you’re both dead.”

       “We are dead, William,” Willard said. “But now we’ve come back to help you.”

       “You’ve forgotten everything,” Joseph continued. “There’s no going back now, what’s done is done. But we have to set you on the right track for the future.”

       “The future?” William asked. “You mean the invasion?”

       “More than that, William,” Willard answered. “There’s a war coming; one that will have more impact than anything that’s going to happen in Ellis.”

       “I don’t want to have anything to do with a war,” William cried. “I just want to live in peace.”

       “Then do it for Myra,” Joseph said. “Do it for my Sandra.”

       William thought it over, sighed and then decided. “Fine. All right, you got me, okay? Set me on my way. Show me my future.”

       “Were not here to show you the future, my friend,” Willard said. “We’re here to show you the past.”

       William became lost. “The past? What do you mean?”

       “There are things that you missed,” Joseph said with much intensity. “Parts of your history that you have to see. You think your father didn’t love you? You think Myra died for nothing? We’ll show you. Just say the word and we can show you everything.”

       “Alright,” William said impatiently. “Show me, please. Show me everything.”

       “Ok, William,” Willard said. “But I have to warn you, its not all going to be pleasant.”

       “It never is,” William said. “Just show me.”

       Willard took quite a big breath for someone who had been dead for a year, then said, “Okay then.”

       The fog grew thicker and a burst of light shot through the room. And then, William, Willard and Joseph were sent to another time. A time long before, when Ellis was an innocent place and death had not yet touched it. William first saw the early years of Ellis. It was a time when Hector C. Gold led a large group of settlers into the town and from there they flourished. There was only one problem with Ellis. A seemingly evil Warlock had lived there for a very long time and refused to leave the grounds. He was ultimately defeated and chased off into the woods. From then on out, the woods became an evil place. No one who went into them ever came back. It was believed that the Warlock was causing these grisly deaths but it was in fact something else. Something that wasn’t human. When the Warlock and the beast met, it was a bloody battle. The Warlock proved to be stronger and so he and the Beast kept their distances. However, the beast began killing the town’s folk and the Warlock was blamed. This would go on for many years. One day, the Warlock realized what had to be done, so he hunted down the beast and destroyed it once and for all.

       Meanwhile, Hector had proven to be a great leader for the people of Ellis, which he had named after his mother’s brother who died as a child. But there was another man, by the name of Axel McNeal. He was not a good person. Axel did not have the same beliefs as the heroic Hector. He thought that the leader was not setting the right example and had plans of his own. He knew the only way was to over rule Hector and take his place. This would take some time but Axel had followers of his own. Together, he and his large committee formed a rebellion, which questioned Hector’s leadership in the courts. Over time, a dispute had begun, which led to the Great Split. The town had been torn into two and a battle was fought. Ultimately, Hector’s side had one and as punishment, Axel and his followers, including his family, were banished. They were never heard from again. William then saw the true outcome. The rest of this story was a bit unclear but it appeared that Axel had made a deal with a strange man, who seemed to have a bit of power.

       William then saw Axel’s descendents. There was a village in the middle of the woods. He saw the army that was growing. He saw them planning their attack on Ellis. William realized that this village was where Willard had been taken to and beaten before hung out and killed in Ellis. It was the descendent of Axel McNeal and his followers that were coming. But who was the man? Joseph and Willard alerted William that the man’s identity was the only thing they had not gotten. Whoever he was, he was most important. William then saw Barnaby Woodcock. He learned of this man who had sold his father the book that he loved as a child. He saw Barnaby’s pain, which led to his death. William saw more and more death. He saw Scott Cruise, a.k.a. Snake Willis, Joseph’s death, the lives of Willard Kelley and Billy Partridge, among other things. He saw his father reading him the book. He saw his mother and father’s arguments. But in all the fighting, William realized that his parents knew what must be done.

       On the night that Gulliver set out to leave, he spent twenty minutes in William’s room. He whispered to his son, “I’m so sorry, William. I wish that I could stay. I wish I could see you grow into the man you’re going to be but it’s not that easy. I have to go but I want you to know that wherever I go, I will always be thinking of you and your mother. I love you very much, William and I always will.” This touched William very much and brought tears to his eyes. Gulliver temple then headed downstairs, kissed his crying wife goodbye and set out. Gulliver found it very hard to leave the town that he loved but he knew he couldn’t stay. He wasn’t born in Ellis; it wasn’t his right. He traveled for over a year, before ending up in Tampa, where he befriended, Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron McLoven. Over time he grew sick and was diagnosed with cancer. Gulliver Temple died with William and Wendy on his mind.

       William never imagined that Ronald Payne could possibly have been a good person. Ever since he arrived, Ronald had been a very unfriendly stranger and most townsfolk just kept their distance. William never really understood how Ronald and Edward had become close but whatever it was it made William uncomfortable. That is until he learned the truth about Ronald’s past. He saw everything that Ronald had been through including the deaths of his parents, leaving behind the girl he loved, Artimus Jackson teaching him to swindle people and all of the other bad things that led him to Ellis. William witnessed the pain Edward had gone through when he had left Ellis and how Ronald had helped him through it. Apparently, Ronald had felt bad about what he had witnessed the night Willard had been murdered, and decided to talk with Edward about it. That night Edward had told Ronald everything. Odd that Ronald was still alive. William always felt that the reason Joseph McGregor had died was because he had told him about the Warlock. It was then that William realized that must not have been the reason after all. After understanding why Ronald was the way he was and seeing the formation of his and Edward’s friendship, William became glad for Ronald being there. Sometime soon, he would show his appreciation to the out of Towner.

       William next realized that there was an enemy in Ellis the whole time. The Norton’s were in league with the enemy. In fact, Roger Norton had not been born in Ellis. The Exile’s leader sent him in the first place. It was Chris who caused the death of William’s beloved Myra. He was then overwhelmed by pain. Everything became clear to him. He knew everything: the truth about his father, how Chris had a hand in Myra’s murder and more. He knew his destiny now; he knew what had to be done. He just didn’t know the right way to handle it. First, he had to fix his own problems before he could save the town. Second, he needed a plan to stop the enemy.  Third, he needed to get others to believe and follow him. In time William would have to become the leader he was born to be

       William, Willard and Joseph fell through the paths of time until finally returning to the Warlock’s broken down house in the woods. When there, William remained silent for a while.

       Joseph broke the silence by saying, “So you see now, William? You see your importance?”

       “Yes I do,” William answered. “I just don’t know how to deal with this problem.”

       “In time you will,” Willard said. “But for now, you must go. Soon the enemy will make their move. Ellis needs you.”

       “Come with me,” William pleaded, “Both of you.”

       “It’s too late for us, William,” Willard said.

       “We were supposed to die so that we could show you all of this,” Joseph continued. “We have done our part. We have no part to play in the future.”

       “So this is goodbye then?” William asked.

       “There is never a goodbye,” Willard answered. “We’ll be waiting for you. Now you have to leave. You have to go back.”

       “Ellis is waiting,” Joseph said.

       And so, William said his goodbyes to his ghostly friends and returned to the Warlock, who was sitting patiently by a fireplace in the main room.

       “So you see your purpose, William?” the Warlock asked.

       “Yes,” William answered. “I know what I have to do. There’s still just one thing I don’t understand. What are you? Why are you here? What brought you to this place? What made you what you are?”

       “That is the one thing your friends did not show you,” the Warlock began. “That is my business to explain. You know the stories about me. You know that I’m not evil, as they have said for many years. For instance it is said that I gained my powers by eating the heart of a wizard. There was no wizard. You see, I was a man once; Just as you are. I had a wife, a son. But they were taken from me. We came to this place sometime in the mid-eighteen hundreds. I planned to build a cabin where Ellis now stands. But there was someone already here. He was a man that had no good in him, a man without a heart. He once had a brother. Together they found the power of this place but he did not want to share it so he killed his brother out of jealousy. He gained the powers and used them for darkness, though it weakened and he lost the ultimate power to control the world. He began an obsession, searching for the missing thing he needed to claim it all. He did not like us coming here and he acted out of anger. He killed my family but he left me alive. He had servants that took their turns beating me and humiliating me. Eventually, the man put all of his darkness into me. He made me a monster. But I wouldn’t use my powers for evil. I wouldn’t lead the army he was building to conquer the world. So he cursed me to live forever.”

       “What happened to this man?” William asked.

       “Well, eventually he was beaten,” the Warlock answered. “However that is a story for another time. This was forty-odd years before Hector C. Gold and his followers arrived. I was glad to see the evil man gone but I was never really sure I was truly rid of him. His curse remains to haunt me and now it seems that Ellis is about to be attacked. I believe my tormentor is somehow connected to the Vengeful Exiled but I’m not sure how. See like them, he also wanted Ellis as his. Maybe he too would want to reclaim it.”

       This thought sent chills up William’s spine. Could that man still be alive? After all, the Warlock was still alive. This was an uneasy thought. And so William said his goodbyes to the Warlock but he knew they would meet again. In time the Warlock would prove more useful than anyone could ever imagine. William met back up with the Know It All, who was waiting outside the house. The two headed home and along the way they spoke of the current events. Unknown to all that evil was already on it’s way.

 



                                  The First Strike

 

       There were twelve of them, all with guns. They had a mission; they were going to attack the town of Ellis. What would this accomplish? Their boss was hoping to frighten everyone into leaving the town. But there were a few that were standing in their way. The three leaders, who each had their own group of three men, were given a list of names. Each person on that list was to be hunted down and killed but only those people. The list wasn’t too long.

Edward Hall.

Sandra Becket.

Dr. Marvin Moss.

Amelia Dillon.

Mayor Templeton.

Officer Mackey.

Ronald Payne.

Wendy Temple.

William Temple.

       Unknown to the rest of the squad, Number Three had a secret mission. He had been ordered by Roger Norton to kill his wife, Elvira. He would not tell the others but it would be tough keeping it secret. This made the intended execution count from the planned nine to an even ten. Once they reached town, they found Chris Norton waiting for them. He smiled and said, “Hey guys, welcome to Ellis.”

       “Hey, kid,” Number One said. “Everything set?”

       “Yeah, everything’s ready. You all just have to head on in and start the chaos.”

       “So no one has any idea we’re coming?” Number Two asked, “not even Temple?”

       “I haven’t seen him,” Chris answered. “No one knows I’m here, they all think I’m still gone.”

       “What?” Number One asked rather harshly. “You were supposed to come back and act natural like nothing was happening.”

       “I’ve been hiding out at my house,” Chris replied. “I told my mom to keep her mouth shut. I didn’t want anyone to know I was back, especially not William Temple.”

       “Fine,” Number Three said with a sigh. “Just show us the way.”

       “I’m not going with you guys,” Chris said. “I’m going to head back to the village.”

       “You have to lead us,” Number One demanded.

       “Don’t worry, I’m not going to leave without sending you guys on your way, I’ll show you.”

       Chris and the Three-team leaders went aside and reviewed a map of Ellis that Chris had stolen from the school two days earlier. They chose the best paths to follow and the three leaders reviewed and memorized the complete layout of the town. This ability was one sign that these men were not like any normal human being on earth. Chris then said good luck and goodbye and then headed on his way. The three groups huddled up and mapped things out.

       “Okay men, this is it,” Number One announced. “We’ve been preparing for this for months. Now remember, you can cause as much damage to the town as you’d like. But don’t kill anyone that’s not on the list. Kill only the nine we were assigned to kill. You know the names; we just need to find them. I don’t care what you have to do, just get it done. We have guns, so they’ll do anything we want them to, got it?”

       All gave a cheerful “Yes, sir!” then the three groups broke up and set out on their mission. Ellis was hit in three different places. Number One’s group hit the Town Hall, where Mayor Templeton was dragged out and thrown to the ground. He tried pleading with the men, saying he could help them. He would have done anything they wanted him to but they wouldn’t have it; they had a mission to complete. Number One shot Mayor Templeton to death right in front of those closest to him. Dr. Moss was also on the scene. He was beaten and bloodied. Number One thought that it would be amusing to see the doctor put through as much pain as possible. Dr. Moss was hung up by the neck and shot dead from there.

      William was wandering around the little patch of woods near his house when the attacks began. All week he had been wondering how to tell the rest of Ellis about what he had learned of Chris Norton’s secret agenda. The young hero had no idea that his life long enemy was in Ellis, right under his nose the whole time. After hearing gunfire, he knew that the worst was happening. He found a spot behind his back yard, where he crouched down to hide. Two men with guns were laughing and joking until another came out of the house, declaring that no one was there. William was relieved that his mom was not home. She must have gone out into town. There was however no time for joy, as the tree men hurled small objects into the house, through he windows, causing the house to explode. One of the men was ordered to stand guard while the others went back to meet with their “Captain.” When the soldier was left all alone, William picked his moment, made the attack and took the lone soldier out. Knowing he had to do what was needed of him, William took the soldier’s gun and headed off to help whoever needed him.

        Number Two’s group held Edward Hall, his girlfriend Amelia Dillon, Mr. Myrtle and some of the other townsfolk hostage in the Myrtle’s Diner. The men were demanding names and it was only a matter of time before Edward and Amelia’s identities were discovered. In time, their world would be shattered. After sending their families away to hide, Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles were left with only their wits and their guns. They knew they had to make a move, but if they weren’t careful, they could fail. They knew they couldn’t let the people of Ellis down.

       Number Three had sent his three men to investigate the Temple home. When two of his men returned, they told him that no one was home, they had blown up the house and the third guy had stayed behind to stand guard. The three men searched around town, until they found a group of civilians hiding out in a garage. The three cornered the group, which consisted of Ronald Payne, Wendy Temple, Sandra Becket, Father West and some others. William arrived just in time to see Sandra slapped around and tormented. Ronald showed some force but was hit in the gut with a gun by one of the men. Number Three got tired of games and shot Sandra. The sight of her death brought back gut wrenching memories of Joseph’s secret relationship with the girl. Sandra Beckett and Joseph McGregor had once planned to be married. Now they were both dead. William would not let this go easily.

       Number Three decided that he wanted to go looking for Elvira Norton, so he lied about his plans and headed off. His two men were left alone to finish off Wendy and Ronald. The two men grabbed a relentless Ronald, who was thrown to his knees, and marked for death. The two cocked their guns and told him to say his last words. He told them to go to hell, which they laughed at and told him goodbye. Just as Ronald’s life seemed to be coming to an end, William called out to the men, who turned only to be both shot down. The group praised William and his mother gave him a tear-filled hug. However, there wasn’t much time for celebration and it was decided that Father West was to lead everyone to safety, while William and Ronald set out to take down the rest of the invaders.

       Number Three found Elvira Norton hiding out in her basement. She sat in a chair by photos of her husband and son. When her killer arrived, he held the gun to her head and paid no attention to her tears.

       “I know he sent you,” she cried.

       Number Three instantly shot Elvira dead. He stood wondering for a moment about how she had known. At that time, he got a radio call from Number One telling him to meet his team at the down town area. Number Three shook off what he had done, and headed out.

       At the Diner, things were getting more and more hectic, as Number Two and his men questioned their hostages. Edward had no hope of escape; no plan. It got worse when he and Amelia were identified. The men grabbed Amelia and Edward struggled and screamed but was held back. Number Two laughed at the two, realizing that they were in love. This inspired the monster to hurt them even more. He first shot Amelia in the foot, causing her to scream in pure terror. He then shot her in the shoulder, causing her to fall in pain. Finally, he held her up by the hair and Edward knew it was over. He was half way through screaming her name when Number Two shot her dead. The men began kicking the tortured and humiliated Edward around, until there was a call on their walkie-talkies for Number Two to head down town. Number Two ordered two of his men to stay, while he and another headed away.

       The two remaining men kicked Edward around a bit more, then got off focus, laughing at his humiliation and sharing jokes. They didn’t expect what came next. Edward’s rage built and he reached up, grabbed one of their guns and shot both men dead. The others in the diner gave their thanks to Edward but he wasn’t able to share their joy. The love of his life, Amelia Dillon, was dead. He cried and held her body, hoping for a sign of life. He got nothing.

       There were seven of them left. They were shooting out windows and causing explosions down town, demanding the last few to come forth. Number One, Number Two and Number Three were pleased with themselves. They had nearly completed their mission. There were only five targets to go. Unknown to the invaders, the last five would be the hardest to take. Officer Mackey was trained to stop people like them at any cost and William and Ronald had a bit of power themselves. In a matter of moments, there would be a firestorm of mass proportions. William and Ronald came across Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles near the Town Hall, where Number One, Number two, Number Three and the last four living men in their group was holding their hostages. The four were filled with a sense of hope when they saw each other.

       “Its good to see you boys are still alive,” Officer Mackey said happily.

       “Any idea what these monsters want?” Ronald asked.

       “No,” Deputy Pickles answered. “They just showed up and started killing people. The mayor’s dead.”

       “So is Dr. Moss,” Officer Mackey continued.

       “Dr. Moss?” William asked with much grief.

       “They killed a girl too,” Ronald went on and then sighed. “I didn’t know her to well.”

       “Sandra Becket,” William announced.

       “Sandra…” Officer Mackey whispered with a sense of sadness.

       “So what do we do, Chief?” Deputy Pickles asked his superior.

       “There’s seven of them left,” Officer Mackey answered. “There are only four of us. I see we all have a gun, I guess…well I don’t want you boys to risk your lives but I just don’t see any other way.”

       “I know, sir,” William said. “We have to do this, we’re the town’s only chance.”

       “Okay then,” Officer Mackey said with a sigh. “Stick together. When we go out, we start shooting. We don’t stop until they’re all dead.”

       “Or we are,” Deputy Pickles said.

       “Or we are,” Officer Mackey agreed.

       “Ok,” Ronald said as he cocked his gun,  “let’s do this.”

       Officer Mackey went out first, followed my Ronald, then William and then Deputy Pickles. They ran out into the enemy’s view, first in a group and then separated. The enemy began firing but missed. William shot and took out Number Two. Ronald shot one of the other four and then Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles killed the last three. Number’s One and Three were all that was left. They continued their struggle but they were now outnumbered. William knew that the two of them could not be allowed to escape. He and Ronald snuck behind one of the buildings, circling up the back of the enemy and ran up shooting. Ronald wounded Number One, who fell to the ground and rolled away. William shot and killed Number Three, leaving Number One all alone.

       Number One rose in agony, grabbing and squeezing his wounded shoulder. He found himself surrounded by William, Ronald, Deputy Pickles and Officer Mackey. He knew that he had no chance of escape.

       “So, this is it?” he asked. “Are you boys going to kill me now?”

       “You definitely deserve to die,” William answered. “If only you could die horribly over and over again for every life you took. That is what you deserve.”

       “So do it,” Number One said without fear. “Kill me, it won’t matter. You’re all going to die eventually.”

       “What’s your name,” Officer Mackey demanded. “Who are you?”

       “I have no name,” Number One replied. “I am called Number One.”

       “Is that you’re rank or something?” Ronald asked. “Were you the leader of this squadron?”

       “I was the leader, yes but I was never ranked,” Number One answered.

       “So your leader put you in charge and sent you here to attack us?” Deputy Pickles asked.

       “The man who is in charge of the Exiled is not my leader,” Number One replied.

       “Then who is?” William asked.

       “My boss is an extraordinary man,” the enemy answered with much pride. “He is using the Exiled to take Ellis so that one day he can claim it. You see there are many who want this place, not just the Exiled.”

       “Who is your boss?” Officer Mackey asked.

       “You really think I will tell you?” Number One answered with a chuckle.

       “You will, in time,” Officer Mackey declared.

       “We’ll see, friend.”

       “Lets just kill this guy,” Ronald said.

       “What? We can’t do that,” Deputy Pickles answered.

       “Why not? If he somehow gets out, then he could tell his friends all about us.”

       “They already know everything they want to about us,” William announced. “It’s too late. They’ll be coming here soon. We have to prepare. We have to fight.”

       “What is going on here William?” Officer Mackey asked. “Do you know what’s happening?”

       “I’ll tell you all about it later, after we get this guy locked up and we clean up this mess that he and his friends made. And we’ll have to look out for Chris Norton; he can’t be trusted.”

       “Chris Norton?” Deputy Pickles asked. “Why him?”

       “He’s working with these guys. He has been all along; his father too.”

       “Okay then,” Officer Mackey said. “Let’s get him locked up. William, go check out the diner, I heard it was hit. Make sure everyone there is all right. Find any survivors. Then we’ll all go out and see who else is alive.”

       “Sure thing,” William agreed. “I’ll get going that way then, it’s not too far. You guys get him out of here.”

       Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles and Ronald tied down Number One and dragged him to the police station. William headed to the diner, where he found survivors waiting outside. He looked around for any loved ones and then saw a horrific sight. Edward walked out the diner door, carrying Amelia Dillon’s body in his arms. He had tears in his eyes and as Edward passed him, they looked each other in the eye. Mr. Myrtle, who had followed Edward out, then greeted William. The two shook hands and William filled Mr. Myrtle in on what had happened all over Ellis. After Number One was locked up, under supervision of Deputy Pickles, Officer Mackey, William and Ronald gathered everyone in town together near the school. There were luckily many survivors but four had lost their lives.

       Sandra Beckett, Dr. Marvin Moss, Amelia Dillon and Mayor Templeton were dead. Over time, after a census was in taken, Elvira Norton was found dead in her home. Chris was nowhere in sight though there was some evidence that he had been there but was now gone. William was reunited with his mother and it was arranged for the two of them to stay at the town Inn, until they could have a new home built. William knew that they had bigger problems to worry about. It was not over; soon the Exiled would come. There was need of much preparation. After the funerals, after the cleanup and after the planning, war would come to Ellis.

      



                                   A Mess To Clean

 

       Ellis was changed. There was no going back. There would be no laughter. There would be no joy. The town had bled again. This time it had cost five locals their lives. It was unclear why the men would have targeted Sandra Beckett, Dr. Marvin Moss, Amelia Dillon and Mayor Templeton but William Temple found the murder of Elvira Norton to be the most bothersome. Why would have Chris sit by while his mother was murdered? This made no sense to William at all. The five funerals were held at the same time and the whole town met to grieve together. The dead attackers were buried near the forbidden woods and their graves were unmarked. William wanted to say how sorry he felt to Edward, but felt that it wasn’t the right time. Meanwhile, the leader of the Maniac Group, Number One, was held in a jail cell and was guarded by men on shifts. He had not spoken a word, but Officer Mackey hoped to remedy this.

        After the funeral, Edward went home to grieve for Amelia, alone. He, like William, had lost the girl he loved. It would be a long time before he got over this. He would never love again. William and Ronald met with Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles back at the Police Station. They had to get something out of their hostage, they only hoped it would be enough. After a private meeting in a locked room at the back of the station, where our heroes discussed possible outcomes and flaws of their situation, William and his friends sat down, facing a caged Number One.

       “So are you ready to tell us everything we want to know?” Mackey asked.

       “I won’t tell you a thing,” he answered.

       “Who are you, Number One? Where do you come from?”

       “I have no home; I come from nowhere.”

       “Really?” Deputy Pickles asked. “Then who were your parents? Obviously you have parents.”

       “I killed them,” he answered.

       “What?”

       “I killed them. They never loved me; they only hurt me. So I destroyed them. I was only a teenager at the time. After wards, the law made me a prisoner. But then a great man found me and he saved me. He turned me into the soldier that I am now. When he finds out you have me, he will send someone to come here and get me back.”

       “Is that so?” Mackey asked with a hint of sarcasm.

       “So why doesn’t he come get you himself?” William asked.

       “He’s an important man,” he answered. “He can’t risk it.

       “Who is he?”

       “I will never tell you his name. All I can say is that he is everywhere. So be careful about the decisions you make in the future. He might come for you; all of you.”

       “So he’s your friend, huh?” Pickles asked.

       “More than that,” he answered. “He has taught me everything that is worth knowing in this world. He is my superior.”

       “So he’s like a father to you?”

       “No. He’s my God.”

       This brought on a deep and uneasy quiet in the room. “Well if he’s your god,” Mackey continued, “ then how come you don’t mind selling him out so much?”

       “What do you mean?” he asked.

       “You’re telling us what we want to know, “ Ronald answered.

       “No,” he replied, “I’m telling you what he wants you to know.”

        “What?”

       “He knows all about you boys.” He laughed. “He just wanted you to know who will be responsible for your deaths.”

       “So what about the Exiled?” William asked. “Where do they all play into this?”

       “They’re his pawns, nothing more,” he answered.

       “You’re lying.”

       “Maybe.”

       “So what about Chris Norton and his father, Roger?”

       “Roger Norton was sent by the exiled years ago, to come here. He is, after all, a member of the Exiled himself. The entire time he was here, he was secretly gathering information about all of you and sending it to the head of the Exiled, who then sent it to my boss. Chris was here recently, setting up the arrangements for our arrival. He left when we showed up.”

       “What?” Mackey asked. “No one saw him. No one knew he was here.”

       “He was hiding out in his old house,” he answered.

       “So the Norton’s are bad people after all.”

       “Yes, just like me and my comrades, whom you murdered.”

       “So why Elvira Norton?” Pickles asked.

       “Excuse me?” he asked back.

       “Why would Chris Norton have his own mother killed?”

       “I don’t understand.”

       “There were five people killed: Marvin Moss, Amelia Dillon, Mayor Templeton, Sandra Beckett and Elvira Norton.”

       “That cant be, she wasn’t on our list.”

       “What list?” Mackey asked.

       He answered, “A list of nine names: Marvin Moss, Amelia Dillon, Mayor Templeton, Sandra Beckett, Edward Hall, Wendy Temple, William Temple, Officer Mackey and Ronald Payne.”

       “Us?”

       “I wasn’t on the list?” Pickles asked, a bit confused.

       “You didn’t make the cut, boy,” he answered. “But don’t worry, there’s an even bigger list on the way.”

       “So why was Elvira Norton killed?” William asked.

       “I couldn’t tell you. We were ordered to kill only you nine. No more, no less.”

       “Well she’s dead.”

       “I’m a little surprised to be honest with you. One of my men must have had a secret.”

       “Right,” Mackey chuckled. “So what is the list for? Why were the nine of us chosen?”

       “William, for obvious reasons,” he answered, “and the rest of you are a warning.”

       “A warning?” Ronald asked. “What for?”

       “To warn everyone in Ellis to leave forever, or he or she will be killed.”

       “Right. And what are the obvious reasons for William to be killed?”

       “He’s the one?”

       “The what?” Mackey asked. “Do you know what he’s talking about, William?”

       “Kind of,” William answered.

       “He’s the only one who can stop us,” he said. “He’s special, if you will. He’s been chosen. It wont matter though. He’ll fail. You are all going to die.”

       “We’ll see about that, Mac,” Ronald remarked.

       “Mac? What do you mean, Mac?”

       “That’s your new name. I hope you like it.”

       “I prefer Number One, please.”

       “It’s Mac for now, pal.”

       Number One then sighed, and laughed. “You’re always running, Ronald,” he said. “You never stop. You want everyone to think you don’t care, that you’re a bad person, but you’re not. You’re a good guy, Ronald Payne. But it’s a bad time to be a good guy; you will die for it.”

       This comment made Ronald and everyone else in the room a bit uneasy. But he didn’t let it get to him. He just smiled and shot back, “We’ll see about that, MAC.”

      

       After much talk about what had happened, William decided to clear up any confusion made with his friends. He led them to the library and there he introduced them to the Know It All. There were many questions to be asked and in return answered, but the Know It All ironically only knew so much. And so William and The Know It All shared with their friends everything that they did know and revealed memories from the past. After learning all that there was to know about the Exiled, the coming war and the importance of William, the friends said their thanks and goodbyes to the Know It All, and went about their ways.

       Hours later, William visited his mother at the Inn and then went searching for Edward. At this same point in time, Officer Mackey headed home, realizing that he must make a decision that could affect his family forever. When he reached his house, he found his wife, Martha, and their young son, Donnie, eating dinner. “Sorry, I missed dinner,” he said. “I had work to do.” His wife then got up, made him a plate and they sat down together to finish their meal.

       After dinner, Mackey and his wife put their son to bed and then went out on the front porch to talk. Mackey told her everything that the enemy, Number One, had said. His wife began to feel worried.

     “What are we going to do?” she asked.

       “I don’t know,” he answered. “All that I do know is that whatever it is that’s coming, I have to stay here and fight it. And if I’m going to fight with a conscious mind, I need you and Donnie to be safe, which is why you both have to leave.”

       “What?” she cried.

       “You cant stay here,” he replied, “its not safe. You need to leave, tomorrow morning, after Donnie gets up. I’ll pack the car tonight while you’re both sleeping. Then tomorrow the two of you will head up state, to a hotel where you’ll be safe.”

       “I can’t leave you.”

       “You have to. I can’t fight if I have to worry about you the whole time. I need you to go, please do this for me.”

       Martha Mackey agreed and then went to bed to dream of better times. Officer Mackey began loading the car up with necessities, and some personal affects. After reviewing some old photographs, Mackey began to cry and wished that it didn’t have to be this way. However, he knew it had to be done.

 

       William found Edward, who had been grieving, alone by Amelia’s grave. He almost walked away in fear of angering his old friend, but decided to join him instead. Edward barely acknowledged William but the tears in his eyes said it all. And so the two sat there, grieving together for a full night and by sunrise, they realized the importance of their friendship and they cleared up all the past wrongs for a chance of a brighter future. The next day was a day that dawned the fate of Ellis. Officer Mackey watched his wife drive off with their son, in hopes of survival and William and Edward were friends again. Now our heroes found themselves in a situation where there was no escape. Evil was coming and they would not let it take Ellis without a fight.

 



      Taken

      

       A month went by and William knew that he had to bring in some help. So he sent word for his father’s friends in Tampa to come to Ellis. He had missed Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron McLoven very much, so when they sent word that they would soon be on their way, he was overjoyed to hear it. When the time was near, William and his friends, Ronald and Edward, headed out to the outskirts of town where they expected to meet their soon to be comrades. They had no way of knowing if they were on time; all they did know was that the three men were on their way and William swore he’d be there when they arrived. Unfortunately, things would not work out so easily. Unknown to our heroes, they were surrounded by the enemy. The one time Edward did not have his gun on him, they needed it the most. When they felt the time was right, the enemy closed in and beat the three friends to the ground, bonded their hands, covered their faces with sacks and dragged them off.

      

       William awoke to find that he was all alone in a locked room. He tried calling for his friends with no luck. He examined the room but did not have much to see. He was worried for his friends. Were they nearby, maybe in the same situation? Were they far? Were they still alive? He began to call out their names again but received no response. He began to worry, and hope for rescue.

      

       Edward awoke, lying next to a corpse of a man. He immediately panicked and kicked it away. He stood, looked around the small room and yelled for William. All he got was a knock on the door and someone on the other side yelling to him to shut up.

      

       Ronald woke up, tied down to a chair, with a gag in his mouth. He tried to holler but no one would hear him. There was something attached to his wrist that ran into a nearby machine. This made him realize that he was in store for much trauma. As his eyes widened and his heart sank, he yelled louder, unable to be heard by his friends. There was a laugh from the other side of the door and he heard a noise like a lever being pulled. He then felt waves of energy beaming through his body, with much pain. He didn’t feel it for long as he fell into darkness. He wasn’t dead though; he had just blacked out.

      

       William sat in the darkness, filled with fear. When the door opened, he had the instinct to bolt and fight his way out but felt it would do no good. So he sat and waited to see who it was. He was shocked and horrified by the sight of Chris Norton.

        “Hello William,” Chris said.

        “You?” William asked in bewilderment. “What have you done? Where are we?”

        “I can’t tell you that, William. But I will say that you are far form home and even if you escaped, you wouldn’t be able to find your way back to Ellis.”

        “You killed my Myra.”

       “It wasn’t me. You’ll meet her killer some time later. I only helped get rid of the body.

       “Why? I mean we always knew that you were secretly obsessed with her but I never thought you could ever be involved with her death.”

       “I loved her, yes, but things change. She was chosen to die for a reason. However, it didn’t work out the way that we hoped it would.”

       “And what reason was that?”

       “Her death was meant to be a warning to keep you away from Ellis. It was never meant to inspire you to come back.”

       “No? Well, here I am.”

       “Here you are…” there was silence for a moment, until Chris decided to tell William a bit of bad news. “The cop, Mackey, I remember he had a family. A wife and son, right?”

       “Yes, but you’ll never get them. He sent them away to safety. They’re far away by now.”

       “I hate to be the one to tell you this but they didn’t make it far. Our people caught them outside of our borders. They were executed only hours ago.”

       “Why?”

       “They were meant to die.”

       “Why are we alive? Why didn’t you kill us too?”

       “Because we need you. They were of no use to us.”

       William sighed with grief before asking, “So what now? Why are you doing this?”

        “It is my destiny, William. Soon you will meet yours.”

        “Destiny? What would you know of that?”

        It was not Chris that answered, it was an older man, who entered and said, “Everything you wouldn’t, Mr. Temple.”

       “Who are you?” William asked.

       Chris introduced William by saying, “William, meet Donovan McNeal.”

       William knew instantly who this man was. “You’re the one,” he cried. “The leader, right?”

       “That is correct, yes,” Donovan answered and then motioned for Chris to leave. “You may go now, Chris.”

       “Yes sir,” Chris said and exited.

       “So, you’re the one pulling the stings?” William asked Donovan.

       “Here, yes,” Donovan answered. “But as you should already know, I am under the payroll of a greater and higher source.”

       “Who is he?”

       “I will never tell you. Who knows, if fate rolls your way, you may still one day meet him.”

       “We’ll see. Then I’ll tell him the same thing that I told you.”

       “And what’s that, Mr. Temple?”

       William smiled and announced, “You’ll never get Ellis.”

       This angered Donovan. “We’ll see about that, boy.”

       “Does he know?”

       “Does who know what?”

       “Chris. Does he know that his mother was killed by one of your mercenaries?”

       “What do you mean? She wasn’t on the list?”

       “Well, one of them killed her anyway. I might be wrong, he is an evil guy but when he finds out, what do you think he’ll do? He may just lose it.”

       “We’ll see. I have to go. If you want your friends to live, you wont tell Norton.”

       “My friends? Where are they?”

       “Safe.”

       “Where?”

       “Safe!”

       William then laid down, in attempt to sleep, hoping it would help him to regain his strength. It was rough and hard but he knew this was only the beginning. The next few days would be very tough.

 



                                 The Missing Heroes

 

       Two days had passed since the abduction of William, Edward and Ronald. A letter was sent to Officer Mackey stating that the exiled had the heroes and that they should prepare for the worst. Mackey tried over and over again to get Number One to talk but he got very little. The mercenary would not tell him where the heroes were being held, only that they were safe for the time being. When Mackey asked about the man Number One worked for, the most that he’d answer was, “My boss is not a man for mercy. He will give you or anyone else none.”

        “Yes,” Mackey argued, “you’ve told me all of this before. I want to know more about him and how he’s connected to the Exiled and their upcoming invasion. What does he want out of it? Why would he help them take it?”

       “He isn’t going to let them have it. It’s all part of a plan. He’s just letting them do all of the dirty work. They are only pawns to him and nothing else. When they take Ellis, he will claim it as his and kill them all.”

       “He’s going to betray the Exiled?”

       “He’s a business man. He knows how to play the game.”

       Mackey found this to be very unnerving. He left Deputy Pickles in charge of watching Number One and went to his empty home, hoping that his wife, Martha and their son, Donny, made it to safety.

      

       When Father West learned the news of the missing heroes, he met with Carl to discuss it. Carl knew instantly that the worst was near. “Things are working out for the worst for Ellis. We’re all going to die.”

       “There is still hope, Carl,” Father West said.

       “They have the Temple boy. It’s over; there’s no one left to stop them.”

       “I don’t believe that they are dead. They cannot be.”

       “Wake up, West! We’re all that’s left.”

       “Well, all we can do for now is wait. Maybe in time, a hope will present itself.”

       “Yeah, or the enemy will come along and kill us all.”

       “Have faith, Carl. When you came to me with your problems, did I not trust you? Did I not help you?”

       “You thought I was nuts. It took you a while before you ever believed me.”

       “Fair enough, but in the end I did trust you. So now I need you to trust me.”

       Carl sighed. “Come on Preach, you know I trust you.”

       “Then please continue to do so. Soon, we will find our chance for survival, I promise you.” Father West then patted Carl on the back and led him back to the church where they made dinner and talked of preparations before the attack.

      

        Wendy Temple confronted Officer Mackey in the downtown area of Ellis, while he was on his way back to the station. She had somehow learned of the abduction of her son and his friends and she was thrown into instant panic. She begged him to tell her everything he knew, but was disappointed when he did not have much to say. He told her of the hostage, known only as Number One, and that William, Edward and Ronald were taken, but that was all. He was sorry to tell her that it was still unknown if the three were still alive or not. After much hugging and crying, Wendy said her goodbyes and then headed back to her quiet home. All of this made Mackey feel very bad. He decided to talk to a more cooperative source and headed to the library to see the Know It All. He found the stranger sitting at his regular spot in the library. Mackey still did not understand or even trust the Know It All but he had no other choice. He demanded for the Know It All to tell him everything he knew but it ironically wasn’t enough.

       “I know what you want me to say, but I cannot promise you anything,” the Know It All stated. “I’m glad you felt it was right to come to me and I wish you and everyone else in this town the best, but I am only a prophet of sorts. I do not know where they are.”

       “But they have to be alive,” Officer Mackey cried. “They just have to be, right?”

       “Hard to say but yes, I believe the heroes are alright. The Exiled would not just murder them so easily. Their leader would separate them and mess with their minds individually.”

       “Their leader? You mean our captive’s boss?”

       “No, not that man. He would see them dead. The leader of the Exiled is not the same as that man.”

       “The man called Number One said that when the Exiled kill everyone in Ellis, the Mystery Man will kill all of them and take the town for his own. I don’t understand why he doesn’t take it now, alone even. Why kill the ones who help him?”

       “This man could take Ellis in a heart beat. However, he knew the leader of the Exiled. The leader went to the man for help. This man knew that if he took Ellis, then he would have trouble with the Exiled himself. So when he comes to see them after their victory, it will be a lot easier for his Army to take them out then.”

       “The man has an Army?”

       “He has unlimited resources. You may not believe it now but he could easily take over the whole world. He has almost endless power. He even hopes to claim the ultimate power, which will secure him to be totally unstoppable.”

       “So if he could so easily take over the world, why doesn’t he just do it now? Why does he need Ellis so badly?”

       “I don’t fully understand it, really. This place has some kind of power. Things seem to happen in Ellis that don’t normally occur in the outside world. I don’t know what it is, but he wants this power. He’ll do anything he has to to get it and when he does he will then take the rest of the world.”

       “How do you know so much about him, if you don’t know who he is?”

       “I only know what I was told.”

       “Who told you?”

       “My dreams. I wish I knew who he was. We could prepare for his wrath as well as the Exiled.”

       “What do you mean?”

       “If you find the heroes, you will still be doomed. If you face the Exiled head on and even defeat their army, Ellis will still meet it’s fate. Nothing will stop this man from getting what he wants. I feel that if you all survive the upcoming battle, he will only have to wait. And the longer he waits, the angrier he will be. Yes, if you live to see the Exiled fall, you will eventually be forced to face the true villain. Either way, you wont win.”

       Mackey thought on this for a moment, and then said, “Well. You say it yourself all of the time: you don’t really know everything.”

       “I hope you’re right,” the Know It All replied.

       Mackey realized it was getting late and he had to head to the station to relieve the current guard. They said their goodbyes and the Know It All announced that they would not meet again. This bothered Mackey, who then left the library and headed to the station and the Know It All was left all alone. He scanned over and flipped through the pages of the book titled, “Of Life, Love, Loss, and Friendship: A Guide To Your Destiny.” He knew who wrote the book and hoped that the connection between him and the true villain was the one thing that could help the heroes save Ellis.

      



       Caged

 

       Over the recent days, Ronald Payne had been put through much torture. The worst part was that it all seemed to be for nothing. No one spoke to him, he had not seen anyone, not even been fed and there were no questions asked. He began to feel that he would soon be put to his death. He wished he had done the right thing with his life. He should have kept his father’s Empire going, instead of letting Montgomery Dyson get it. He should never have left Hope Crawford, the girl he had once loved so very much. Watching Montgomery Dyson, who had been a longtime rival of his father’s, buy it out was the worst. Dyson seemed to be a very greedy and menacing, yet manipulative and powerful man. He could have anything he ever wanted. There was much more to him even then, which Ronald could never imagine. He again though of Hope Crawford. It was so long ago but he never forgot her face; a face he could only dream to see again. Ronald had to get this all out of his head. He began to worry again for William and Edward. He hoped they were all right, but there was not much hope. Yet, if he was still alive, then they just might have been too.

      

       William awoke from dreams featuring faces from his past and instantly realized he was still being held prisoner by the Exiled. “Still here,” he mumbled to himself, but this time he realized he was not alone. He turned to find a man in a suit, who had recently presented himself to William as Mr. Dawson. “Sorry to startle you, William,” Dawson said comfortably.

       “What do you want?” William asked.

       “Nothing, just making sure you’re…comfortable.”

       “What do you think?”

       “I think you want me to let you and your friends go.”

       “Score one for you.”

       “You’ll soon be dead, William. If not here, then back home. You cannot stop this destiny.”

       “Your leader, Donovan…did he tell you to come tell me this?”

       “He is not my leader, only a pawn. My leader is a much greater and more powerful man.”

       “So I hear. Who is he?”

       “You know I won’t tell you.”

       “Right, because you’re a bad guy.”

       “Ellis will be his, I promise you. Your people can fight, they can beat the Exiled and they can even win but sooner or later he will come back and beat them. He will have Ellis.”

       “Back?”

       “That’s right. He’s been there before. He looks forward to his return.”

       “He’ll never have Ellis.”

       “Maybe not. We’ll see.”

       Mr. Dawson knocked on the door and someone let him out. Left alone, William sat in the corner and waited for his chance. He could not let them win, not yet. He had to at least fight.

      

       Mr. Dawson met Donovan in the main cabin. It was decided that Mr. Dawson had to make an important trip to Ellis. It was known that the One Who Knew Too Much had come, but they had not yet acted on it and now the time had come. Mr. Dawson had a mission. He had to go to Ellis, stake out the town and kill the One Who Knew Too Much. It was a necessary attack, one that would put the Exiled in the lead.

      



                                     Last Breath

 

       Most of the people in our story have their full lives, including their pasts, recorded. However, in the case of the Know It All, known in some circles as the “One Who Knows Too Much,” there was not much. It was never learned how he gained his abilities or why he was ever chosen. He seemed to have no former life before coming to Ellis. Unfortunately he would never tell his tale. He had a path that would end in the town. The man in charge, as well as his men and the Exiled, had been hunting for him for a while but he seemed to move fast. It is believed that he knew what would happen and that is why he did not put up a fight. The one chosen for the job, known as Mr. Dawson, had never met the man. He knew nothing of him, other than that he was the enemy. He hated him for this. So when he was sent to kill him, he was very honored. The Know It All had been at his regular spot in the town library, when he heard the main door slam open and a sudden gust of wind rush by. He headed downstairs to find the doors still wide open and the night consuming the town.

       “Hello there,” Mr. Dawson uttered from behind him. This startled him and he turned instantly.

       “You,” the Know It All said in fear.

       “So you know me?”

       “Only what I’ve heard, Mr. Dawson…and seen in my dreams.”

       “We’ve been looking for you for a long time. The boss is angry with you.”

       “The hell with your boss; he’s a bad man.”

       “Well, now you’re a dead man.”

       “I know. You will be too. Soon.”

       “I know. I know what is coming.”

       “So why do you fight? And what do the Exiled think of all of this? The poor fools don’t even realize. When all of the people of Ellis are dead and the Exiled are victorious, your boss will come with his army and kill them all. He will take it for his.”

       “The power of this place will be his.”

       “Even when he gets the town, he won’t understand the power. It won’t bid him as well as it did his brother.”

       “His brother may have been able to control it but only for a time. But he eventually lost the control, which is why he died. When my boss makes his triumphant return to Ellis he will find the grave and from there he will take it from his brother.”

       “Does he not realize the cost of the magic? It has cursed this land. He wasn’t born here but those who were have since been damned. When you’re born in Ellis, you die in Ellis. No one born here has ever died outside of Ellis thanks to him.”

       Mr. Dawson began to get annoyed. “Don’t trouble me with curses,” he argued. “What of the ones not from here? Why are so many lured here to die?”

       “They were brought to Ellis for a purpose; each of them is important. Their spirits are used to help decide the fates.”

       “Decide the fates? A traveling salesman? A rock star? Why?”

       “You could never understand.”

       “No I understand well, Know It All. Samuel brought them here. So much has happened in this small town in such a little time. Ellis has gone on long enough; it must be destroyed.”

       “There are good people here. Your boss may come but he’ll never get away with it.”

       “He already has.”

       In an instant, Mr. Dawson kicked the Know It All to the ground, came up behind him, grabbed him and snapped his neck. “Die now,” Mr. Dawson whispered to the lifeless Know It All. “You have been spared, messenger.” Mr. Dawson then wrapped the Know It All’s body up and carried him off. There wasn’t much time and he still had one more chore to do. He headed over to the police station where the mercenary, Number One was being held. Deputy Pickles was in the middle of his shift, when Mr. Dawson broke down the door in an instant. Pickles tried to pull out his gun and warn the intruder but he was not fast enough. Mr. Dawson lifted a nearby stool and broke it over Pickles’ back, knocking the Deputy unconscious. Mr. Dawson left him alive; he had no order to kill the man. Number One was excited by this chance to escape. Mr. Dawson broke the lock, freed Number One and the two took off with the Know It All’s body out of Ellis, towards their headquarters. Mr. Dawson was proud of his accomplishment. He and Number One had a long walk back home but they would not rest. They had to get back in time for what was in store for William Temple the next day.

 



                                    The Good Fight

 

       Donovan McNeal was relieved to see Mr. Dawson back along with Number One. When the body of the Know It All was revealed, he knew that the job was done. Now it was time to set up his arrangement with William Temple. Donovan burst into the cell, instantly awaking William. When William asked what was going on, Donovan said nothing as a henchman dragged the body of the Know It All inside, then dropped him at William’s feet.

       “Look familiar William?” Donovan asked.

       “It’s the Know It All,” William answered.

       “Correct.”

       “You killed him?”

       “Actually Mr. Dawson did. Of course I however ordered him to do so.”

       “Why?”

       “He had to die, it was his time. Now you see what is to happen to you and your friends if you don’t do what I’m about to demand of you.”

       “Why should I do anything for you.”

       “It’s not for me. It’s for you. My young friend, Pucker Tyson is waiting outdoors. You are to go out there and fight him to the death.”

       “What? You expect me to buy all of this.”

       “If you kill him, you and your friends will be set free to return to Ellis. There you can wait for our arrival and your inevitable deaths. If he kills you, your friends die too. Either way, you will all eventually die. But I’m giving you this chance for you to spend your last days with your loved ones. Do we have a deal?”

       “I’ll do it, but not Pucker. I want Chris Norton.”

       “I know you do. He is your mortal enemy, why wouldn’t you want to kill him? But you can’t. He’s needed elsewhere. But if you beat Pucker, then maybe you will one day get your chance at Christopher.”

       “Right.”

       “So what do you say?”

       “Do I really have a choice?”

       “No.”

       “Then of course I will.”

       “Good.”

       Donovan and his men led William out side to a small courtyard that lay about 20 yards from the cabins. Pucker, who was full of energy and just knew that William stood no chance, was waiting. William stood across from his enemy. In the crowd he saw Number One. He then knew that he had been freed from the custody of Officer Mackey. William began to feel worried and hoped that his friend had not met the same fate as his family. Had Mackey even known that they were dead? Probably not.  If he and his friends did return to Ellis, it would be most hard to explain their deaths to the cop.

       “Remember,” Donovan stated, “live or die, William. It’s up to you.”

       “Let’s see if you die as easy as your girlfriend did,” Pucker teased. This sent a surge of rage through William. He realized that he did want to take Pucker down after all. He had almost forgotten that it was he who had killed Myra. William ran towards Pucker, only to be thrown to the ground. Pucker kicked William over and over again, until William caught his foot and dropped Pucker down as well. William and Pucker stood and exchanged punches. The cheers from the other Exiled were nearly enough to make William forget that they were the enemy and that they weren’t cheering for him.

       Donovan had one of his men throw in two wooden poles with blades on the tips, for the fighters to use on one another. When they picked them up, both men used them for shielding while the other was thrashing. At one point, it looked like William might have seen the end if he hadn’t have dodged a strike from Pucker, who then jumped towards William ready to make his strike. He took this time to raise the pole up and the blade went right through Pucker. This caused much outrage from the shocked Exiled. Pucker fell dead and William was instantly grabbed by two men and presented to Donovan.

       “So you have survived,” Donovan said while trying to hide his anger. “By killing our chosen one, Pucker Tyson, you have filled us with much rage. I would like to kill you myself but I have made a promise. You and your friends will go free and I will make another promise: when we come you will pay dearly for this outrage. Take him back to his cell.”

       “What about our deal? Aren’t you going to let us go?”

       “Yes. When you return to your cell, you will be given a sedative that will put you to sleep. You and your friends will wake up together, outside of Ellis. I promise you. Now go.” William was then dragged back to his cell, where just as promised, he was given a shot that instantly put him to sleep.

      

       Ronald had been put through much torture over the past few days. When Mr. Dawson visited him, he had no time for thinking before speaking. “What do you want, you rat?”

       “So harsh, Payne,” Mr. Dawson said. “I have come baring good news. Your friend, William Temple was put in a fight to the death against our Pucker Tyson and won. As Donovan has promised him, you will all be set free.”

       “But you’re still going to attack Ellis, right?”

       “Yes, there is no stopping that.”

       “We’ll stop you.”

       “You amaze me, Ronald. I’ve asked you before through your torture sessions and I get the same answer. Yet, I am inspired to ask again and again: why do you care so much for Ellis? They have shown you nothing but grief. They don’t understand you.”

       “There are good people in Ellis. They can win this war.”

       “I wonder what your father would say about all of this.”

       “You didn’t know my father.”

       “I didn’t, but I know of him. What would he say if he were here to see the man you have become? I mean you sold your family empire, ran away and became a criminal. There are people out there that would love to see you dead. You must be such a disappointment to him.”

       “That’s why now it’s so important that I reclaim my honor for him. Now I have to fight for what I believe in.”

       “Maybe.” Two men entered, one holding a needle.

       “What’s that for?” Ronald asked.

       “It won’t kill you,” Mr. Dawson answered. “It will only put you to sleep. You’re going to need a good long nap if you’re to go back to Ellis tomorrow. It’s necessary.”

       As the needle went into his skin, Ronald only smirked and said, “See you in Ellis.”

       “I hope so,” Mr. Dawson hissed.

       

       Edward awoke in the middle of the woods to find that his friends, William and Ronald, were asleep nearby. All that he remembered was one of the Exiled giving him a shot, then nothing and now he was with his friends again. When William and Ronald awoke, there was much joy. However, the three friends had to get a move on it if they were to return to Ellis before sunset, not that they knew what time it was. With much blind luck, they found the road back to town and in no time they were standing at the sign that read, “Welcome To Ellis. Just Five Miles Ahead.” William was reminded of the time that he had slept walk out there and awoke by that very sign. To him, it seemed like forever ago. He had met Willard Kelley that day. As fate would happen, destiny would call for another meeting on the outskirts of Ellis. The three noticed a strange car heading their way. At first, they were worried that it was the Exiled but it couldn’t have been. Not yet, anyways. When the car pulled up, the doors opened and three men got out. It was Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron Mcloven.

       “It’s you guys,” William cried overjoyed. “I almost never thought I’d see you guys again!”

       “We got your message, William,” Toby said. “We came as soon as we could.”

       “Has it started yet?” Byron asked.

       “No, not yet,” William answered. “Ronald, Edward this is Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett and Byron Mcloven. Alec, Toby, Byron…this is Edward and Ronald.”

       “Pleased to meet you boys,” Alec greeted.

       “Likewise,” Edward said.

       “It was hard finding this place,” Toby said. “It seems like no one even knows it exists.”

       “I told you guys, didn’t I?” William asked. “I don’t know how even I ever found my way back here.”

       “What are you guys doing out here anyways?” Byron asked.

       “We were just held hostage by the enemies until they let us go,” William stated. “They had us for days.”

       “We left Tampa just about a half a day ago,” Toby said. “We should have left sooner, but we had to settle some things and leave the bar in good hands.”

       “We have to get back to Ellis to warn everyone.”

       “Well hop on in, boys,” Alec said. “Let’s get you home.”

       William, Edward and Ronald all got into the car and the six men headed to Ellis. William knew that there was much to go over. It would be hard to tell Officer Mackey about the fate of his family but it had to be done. There was much planning to do but not enough time to do it. The war would soon be starting.

 



                         Decisions And Announcements

 

       William and his friends made it back to Ellis and were greeted with much joy. Officer Mackey was relieved to see them but was in for some very bad news. After William had told him about the fate of his family, Mackey returned to the wrecked Police station and found a hidden bottle of liquor, which he planned to finish. He drank it all through the night and felt alone for the first time since his father had died. Had he been a good man? Had he led a good life? Had he failed his dad? He knew he had failed his family. Now he would die, the last of his line.

 

       During the absence of Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, who had been recovering from his run in with the villain, Mr. Dawson, explained everything that had happened since the friends were taken. Alec, Byron and Toby were introduced to everyone and were given rooms to stay in at the Inn. Edward met with his family, who were relieved to see him. Ronald had no one. William found his mother, who hugged and kissed him with much pride. She cried, “I knew I’d see you again.” William got a room at the Inn with Ronald and together, they decided what was to be done next. They would have to meet with the Council of Ellis the next day. Time was running out.

 

       William, Ronald and Edward met with the council, which now consisted of Father West (who was now always accompanied by the recently cleaned up Carl), Officer Mackey (who had still been missing), Deputy Pickles and Mr. And Mrs. Myrtle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. And Mrs. Nacelle, Mr. Grey, Mr. Dillon, and Mr. McGregor. William had informed them on everything he knew but there was much confusion and debate to get through.

       “I am sorry for what happened to you boys out there,” Mr. Dillon said, “and I’m sorry for the loss of Officer Mackey’s family. But we have much happening that we must prepare for. There will be a time for mourning but it is not now.”

       “How can you say that, Dillon?” Mr. Grey asked. “You’ve lost a daughter yourself. You mourned her when you chose.”

       “Those were different times,” Mr. Dillon answered. “We are now at war.”

       “The daughter you speak of was the love of my life,” Edward cut in. “I planned to marry her and start a family. That dream died with her. I agree with the man who would have been my father in law. Mr. Dillon, you are right. We must prepare.”

       Mr. Dillon smiled, feeling proud and said, “Thank you, Edward.”

       “We must have faith and hope for the best,” Mr. Nacelle said.

       “My dear friend, Ellis is weak,” Mr. Grey said. “We have no chance. We haven’t even appointed a new mayor yet.”

       “The last mayor was not to be trusted,” William argued. “He played our town and was willing to let us all die for his survival. I trust no one with this matter. When the war is over, then we will appoint a new mayor. For now, we make the decisions.”

       “What would you know?” Mr. Albertan asked. “You are just a kid. And what happened to your escape. Remember everyone, young William Temple here took off and abandoned his mother and the girl he loved. Now that girl is dead as well. Maybe you should not have come back. Just like your father.”

       “I agree,” Mr. Grey said, supporting his friend.

       Mr. Nacelle interrupted by saying, “Mr. Albertan and Mr. Grey, you two are my oldest and greatest friends, I love you as brothers, but you do not know what you are babbling about. You have no idea what this boy has been through.”

       “I found my father,” William cut in. “At least, I found out what happened to him. He was living in Tampa, Florida. The three men I came back here with were his friends there. They told me that he had died of cancer. I saw his grave; I know where he’s buried. I didn’t mean to find him. It was more like he found me. If that’s not fate, then I don’t know what is. I believe we have a chance. We can win this war.”

       “William, Edward, my boy always thought of you two as his little brothers,” Mr. McGregor said very lovingly. “That makes you family. I’m behind you all of the way.”

       “I believe it as well,” Father West said. “My friend here, Carl, was always known by you all as the town drunk. He was more than this. He was given a message and it came true. There is some higher power at work here in Ellis, there must be.”

       Officer Mackey entered, smelling of booze and hung over. “Then let’s get this show on the road,” he said.

       “Hey boss,” Deputy Pickles said with joy. “I’m glad to see you.”

       “You too, old friend.”

       “Mackey,” Mr. Dillon started, “I can’t fully understand what you’re feeling right now but I hope you’re ready to do whatever is necessary.”

       “I’m ready,” Mackey answered. “I just hope we’re all ready.”

       The council decided to begin preparations and all left to return home. William had different plans. He decided to go to the cemetery, to visit some old friends. He passed the memorial of Hector C. Gold and examined the graves of Joseph McGregor and Willard Kelley. He then went to the grave of his beloved Myra, where he knelt down to cry.

       “I’m sorry, Myra,” he said. “I wasn’t strong enough to save you. Am I strong enough to save them?”

       He was not a bit surprised when the Warlock appeared nearby and said, “You have always blamed yourself for the wrongs of others. You did not know what would happen if you left.”

       “Is her death my fault?” William asked. “Did I bring this upon her?”

       “This is war, William. Did you believe that there would not be casualties?”

       “But Myra? She was innocent.”

       “Many innocents die in war. There is no stopping that.”

       “Not this time. I have an idea.”

       “Oh?”

       “The woods, are they safe?”

       “I’m sorry?”

       “I need to make sure that all of the women and children, who will not be fighting, are safe. Will they be safe in the woods?”

       “There is no threat there. It is all an act to keep my home safe.”

       “Can we send them there?”

       “I suppose I could help out.”

       “Good, then come. We have a lot of preparing to do.”

 

       Early the next morning, the whole town gathered outside of City Hall, where William would make his announcement. All listened to what the young hero had to say. “A time of war is upon us,” he began. “All men of good age are asked to fight. The women and children are to be sent to safety.”

       “To where?” A voice asked. “They’ll find us!”

       “Not in the woods,” William answered. “They will not dare go into them.”

       “Neither will we,” another voce shouted. “Not with that Warlock.”

       “The Warlock is not dangerous,” William said. “He is willing to help. I present to you, the Warlock.”

       The Warlock joined William on the steps of City hall. There were instant gasps of fright. “I am the Warlock,” he said. “There is no reason to fear me, it has all been an act. I have killed no one. Now the time has come for me to help you all. I will lead you into the woods, where you will be safe.”

       “How do we know we can trust you?” a voice called.

       “Because you have to,” the Warlock answered.

       “This is how it has to be,” William said. “There is no other choice. Now we must all prepare. Everyone must do their part.”

       With much debate, the town decided that they had no other choice. Two lists were formed. One was made up of those who were to leave, the other listed the ones to stay behind and fight. Edward was both alarmed and upset when he found out he was on the list to leave.

       “What is this, William?” Edward asked.

       “I’m sorry,” William answered. “I need you to do this.”

       “But why? I want to help you.”

       “I need you to help the Warlock. It’s up to you to make our families safe. Please, Edward, look over our mothers and protect them. I need you to do this.”

       “Then I guess I have no other choice. You are my brother, William. I will do whatever you say.”

       “I know you will. Now come, let us prepare.”

       And so, Ellis united to plan their fate. In time, there would be goodbyes and heartbreaks. Death was inevitable.

 



                                   Day Of Reckoning

 

       It was a gray day in Ellis. The time had come for the town to be split in two. Edward met with the Warlock and together they formed their group, which consisted of Wendy Temple, Mrs. Hall, and Mrs. McGregor, Mrs. Dillon, Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Nacelle and the other women and children of Ellis. There were many goodbyes. William met with Edward and the Warlock. “You two ready to lead everyone?” he asked.

       “Of course,” the Warlock answered. “I never thought it would come to this?”

       “None of us did,” William agreed. “You still have that gun of yours, Edward?”

       “You bet I do,” Edward answered,

       “Good. If they find you, you know how to use it.”

       Wendy approached her son and they hugged. She was filled with tears. William promised that they would see each other again very soon and she was off on her way with the others. The men, who were to stay behind to fight, watched as their loved ones headed out into the recently forbidden woods with Edward and the Warlock in the lead.

       The Army of Ellis, which consisted of William, Ronald, Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, Father West, Carl, Alec Nightmoon, Toby Bennett, Byron McLoven, Mr. Hall, Mr. McGregor, Mr. Dillon, Mr. Beckett, Mr. Myrtle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle, Mr. Grey and everyone else, had met in the center of town. Everyone carried miscellaneous weapons, including baseball bats, axes, poles, and guns. They were ready but the enemy wasn’t.

 

       The mercenary, known only as Number One, had every intention of going back to Ellis with the Exiled. However, his boss had other plans. Donovan McNeal, the leader of the Exiled, informed him on the eve of battle, that the boss wanted him to go back to New York City. He would not fight in this war. Number One was upset by this but would do whatever his boss asked of him. He also had some instructions. The Exiled had killed the wife of Officer Mackey but had lied about the son. Two-year-old Donald Mackey was still alive. The Exiled kept him in a nearby cabin. Number One was to take the infant boy with him, back to the boss, who had no son, but wanted one. Number One did not like this one bit but again, he would do whatever the boss said. So while Donovan and his army left their small community and marched to Ellis. Number One took the infant, jumped in one of the trucks and headed off to New York City.

 

       Donovan McNeal had murder in his heart. This would be the fight of his life. Beside him, marched Roger and Christopher Norton, as well as Mr. Dawson. With their help, there was no doubt that they would win the battle. Christopher was most excited. The time had come for his enemy, William Temple and the rest of the citizens of Ellis to die. He would see them burn. Ellis would be theirs again.

 

       William, Ronald, Officer Mackey and Deputy pickles huddled together to talk about the current situation, while the others sat around, waiting for the battle. It was now dark and cloudy. A storm was coming, appropriate for war.

       “I don’t want to fight in a war,” Pickles said, “but waiting for one is even worst. Do you think we stand any chance, William?”

       “I don’t know,” William answered. “I suppose it’s about pointless to hope.”

       “All we have is hope,” Ronald said.

       “Alec, you and your friends ever see battle like this?” Mackey asked.

       “Yes,” Alec answered. “When we were kids, Toby, Byron and I saw some pretty hairy things back in Tampa. We ran with this crowd. Somehow someone would say the wrong thing to the wrong person and we’d instantly be in the middle of a fight. We have a lot of enemies, as you could imagine. We may have been in a few baseball bat rumbles in our time.”

       “I hope your luck lasts the night then.”

       In an instant, two men who had been standing guard on the roof of the old library came running, calling out, “They’re coming! They’re here!”

       “Everyone stand together,” William called out. All of the men of Ellis stood together, waiting for the army to come. The sound of thunder burst out above the town. At least seventy-five men marched into the town, where the heroes were waiting. Donovan was in the lead, followed by Chris, Roger and Mr. Dawson. William headed to the front of the crowd, followed by Ronald, Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, Father West, and Carl. “Back down,” William ordered. “Leave now and never come back. You do not want a battle.”

       Donovan and his followers laughed at this. “We will never back down,” Donovan declared. “Leave Ellis or meet your fate, boy. This town is ours.”

       “It will never be yours,” Ronald said.

       “So, Ronald,” Mr. Dawson said, “you now consider this place your home? It will never be your home.”

       “New York City will always be my home,” Ronald cried. “But times have changed. I was brought here. This is where I belong now.”

       “Leave now, William,” Chris said. “You’ll be better off that way.”

       “What about my Myra?” William asked. “Is she better off?”

       “She was a necessary loss, boy,” Roger said. “Now please take our offer and leave. You must have some of your father’s good sense.”

       “Mr. Norton, you and my father were long time rivals, just as your son and I have always been. In all the years the two of you fought, you wasted your time filled with anger, while he kept it inside. He may have left but I know he loved me. He died in Tampa. It is not fair that he’s gone, while you’re left here to cause this trouble.”

       “You lie. How would you know if he was dead?”

       “He is,” Alec said. “He was my friend back in Tampa. I saw him die.”

       “Never the less, William,” Roger said, “you are all about to see him again.”

       “This is your last chance, boy,” Donovan said. “Leave, or die.”

       “We will never leave, Donovan,” William declared. “This is how it has to be.”

       “Then so be it.”

       The dark army began to approach the heroes, pulling out similar weapons. It began to rain. It was cold and hard; perfect weather for war. Donovan yelled out a war cry but the heroes could not make it out, due to the loudness of the storm. The enemies ran to the heroes and began striking. The battle began. Lives were instantly taken. William swung his baseball bat, striking enemy after enemy. He felt alive, like this was what he was meant to do. For the fist time in a long time, he felt like he wasn’t alone. He felt Ronald and the others, as well as the presence of those who weren’t there. He felt Edward, who was off somewhere in the woods with the Warlock, his mother and the others. He felt Myra, as well as Willard Kelley, his father and Joseph McGregor. They were with him. They were protecting him. He would survive this war.

 

       Mr. Albertan, Mr. Grey and Mr. Nacelle stood together. The three of them, who had been like brothers rather than friends, watched the other closely and would not let each other down no matter what.

 

       Officer Mackey fought bravely for the memory of his wife and son. He did not know that Donald was still alive, being taken far away by the Mercenary, Number One. His boy might have well been dead. The Exiled had taken their lives from him, but he would not let them take his.

 

       Ronald was at his greatest moment. He fought for his parents. He fought for their dreams. He fought for their legacy. The Exiled had him all wrong. They believed that he was a bad man, that he was evil and corruptible at heart. The Exiled liked this. However, they did not see the real Ronald. They did not see that behind all of his anger and pain, there was the potential to be a hero. He would honor his parents in this war.

 

       The battle went on for hours. Much blood was spilt and many lives were lost, but it was far from over. Soon it would get more personal. Soon good and evil would collide into a fiery storm. Meanwhile, Edward and the Warlock had many obstacles of their own. The storm slowed down their pilgrimage, not that they were really sure where they were going.

       “Where are we going?” Edward asked. “Are we going to your home?”

       “There is no room for everyone there,” the Warlock answered. “There are caves just a little bit up ahead. We’re getting close.”

       “How close?”

       “Another twenty minutes or so.”

       Edward, the Warlock and their followers continued on. It was a long road ahead but they had to make it. If their loved ones failed, they at least had to get far away, out of the reach of the Exiled.

 

       The battle continued. The heroes fought with all of their might. The puddle water at their feet, caused by the storm, was now red with the blood of their allies, as well as their enemies. The numbers were dropping. An enemy stabbed Mr. Beckett in the chest and he fell to the ground in instant agony. He looked around at the faces of dead friends, some he had known his whole life. Others were their sons or nephews. He thought of his beloved daughter, Sandra. Even with all of the pain and terror all around him, he smiled and thought of how great it was that he would soon be seeing her again. The enemy came up behind Mr. Beckett and finished him off.

       William looked at around at he battle that was taking place. He looked for the one he wanted but couldn’t find him. Then in the distance, he saw Chris Norton standing off to the side of the battle with Donovan and Mr. Dawson. Ronald was nearby and William spoke to him. “Why aren’t they in the fight?” William asked.

       “These men we are fighting are nothing but pawns to them,” Ronald answered. “If we want to end this, they have to die.”

       “I agree,” William said. He parted ways with his friend and headed out of the fight, towards Chris. He didn’t get far when Roger came out of nowhere and got in his way.

       “So, you hope to kill my boy, do you?” Roger asked.

       “All of you must die,” William answered. “It is the only way we will win.”

       “You’ll have to go through me first.”

       “I will.” William swung his baseball bat but Roger blocked it with the one he had been carrying. The two swung them back and forth, as if fencing. This was an eventful battle years in the making.

 

       Mr. Dillon took a blow to the head and fell to the ground. Mr. Hall attempted to help him but was held back by an enemy. Mr. Dillon looked up at his attacker, who stood above him laughing. The enemy pulled out a sword he had been carrying and stuck it through Mr. Dillon’s chest. The villain was pleased with himself, but he would not last much longer. Mr. Hall had struck down his enemy and then ran up behind the one that had stabbed Mr. Dillon and shot him in the back of the head. Mr. Hall fell to the ground beside Mr. Dillon and held him in comfort.

       “I’m sorry I didn’t make it in time,” Mr. Hall said to Mr. Dillon. “I tried, but I got held up.”

       “I know,” Mr. Dillon said. “It’s not your fault. I’m glad it was you who came to help. Your son and my daughter were so in love. I saw it in her face everyday that they had been together. They should have been married, but she was taken from him. Now I go to join her.”

       “Everything is going to be alright, pal. Don’t you worry I’m going to save you. Just…”

       “No. You can’t help me now.”

       “I’m sorry.”

       “It’s ok. I just wish that they could have been married. I wish we could have been…family.”

       “Me too.”

       “Yes…that would have been nice. What a great life it would have…”       

       And so Mr. Dillon died in Mr. Hall’s arms. Mr. Hall stayed for a moment longer and then rejoined the fight. His friend would not die in vain. The people of Ellis had to win the fight.

 

       Alec, Toby and Byron were surrounded by evil. There was no way out of it. They looked to each other and smiled, realizing that this was their last great adventure together. After everything that they had been through since they were children, their story was nearly over. They nodded to one another and attacked the enemy together. They had broken through, but Toby and Byron were both hit hard in the process. Alec watched his two friends die together and oddly he felt comforted by this. He said his goodbyes to them and went to battle with two of the Exiled.

 

       Father West and Carl fought along side one another and had made a great team. West was proud of Carl, who had come a long way. Nothing could prepare the two for what was about to come next. An enemy had spotted the priest and chose him for his next target. He had a rifle, which he aimed right at Father West. Carl was the only one who saw it. He pulled out a dagger he had been carrying and slung it at the enemy. He then jumped in front of West to shield his friend. The dagger caught the man in the neck, but not before the man got off one shot intended for the priest. Carl caught the bullet in the chest and he fell to the ground. In panic, West looked down at Carl, then at the man who had shot him, who was now dead from the dagger. Father West held his friend, noticing that Carl had died smiling. Carl was a hero and West would forever remember it. Father West looked around him at the war surrounding him. It was a dark day in Ellis and if they lived, it was one they would never forever.

      

       The fight between William and Roger raged on and the two began to get tired out. Chris watched this from afar. “Are we going to help him?” he asked Donovan.

       “Would you like to, Chris?” Donovan asked back.

       “Yes,” Chris answered.

       “Then okay,” Donovan said. “Let us go, Mr. Dawson. We’ve waited long enough.”

       “Yes sir,” Mr. Dawson said with a laugh.

       The three headed into battle and hunted down whom they wanted. Chris helped his father by attacking William from behind, but missed. Donovan went after Alec, who had been a strong ally to his enemies. Mr. Dawson attacked Ronald, who he had wanted to take down ever since they met in the room Ronald was being held in back in their camp. The battle had now become personal.

 

       Edward, the Warlock and the others had made it to the caves. Everyone was huddled up, hiding form the storm. Edward went out to the surface to join the Warlock.

       “Is there any hope?” Edward asked.

       “It is foolish to hope, young Edward,” the Warlock answered. “But I have often been thought of as a fool.”

       “What do you mean? No one has ever thought of you as a fool. We’ve all been scared by you. Ever since I was a kid, people have always talked about you coming and taking us out of our bedrooms and into the woods where you’ll eat us.”

       “That’s just foolish,” the Warlock laughed.

       “Well it scared me,” Edward said.

       “Then why did you come out here with William all of those years ago?”

       “Because he’s my friend and I’ll follow him anywhere.”

       “I see.”

       “So come on, tell me. Who could have ever thought of you as a fool?”

       “It was just something my wife had said to me so many times, so many years ago.”

       “Your wife?”

       “Yes. I wasn’t always out here in the woods. Once I was a mortal man, with a family.”

       This baffled Edward. “What happened?”

       “I once told William this story, of a man with powers that killed my family and made me what I am. After that, his enemies chased him off. I was left here all alone until Hector C. Gold came. They thought I was evil and so I was banished out here forever.”

       “So if you didn’t kill anyone, who did?”

       “A monster. It was some creation of the evil man that cursed me. One day, I killed that monster and the murders stopped.”

       “I never realized. I’m sorry.”

       “It’s not your fault Edward.”

       “Do you know what ever happened to the bad guy?”

       “No, but he’s out there somewhere, waiting to make his move.”

       “You mean he’s the one that sent the Exiled?”

       “The thought has reached my mind. I just hope not. If so, Ellis may not stand much of a chance, if it even survives this day.” The two then stood in silence and stared out into the woods and the storm. Hope felt a long way off. All that was left to do now was pray.

 

       The battle had grown small, but yet more intense. The people of Ellis outnumbered the Exiled, however the enemy was still stronger. Chris and Roger Norton surrounded William. One he could handle, but two was difficult.

      

       Alec and Donovan fist fought and smashed each other’s faces in pretty good. Bleeding from his mouth, Alec knew his enemy couldn’t win. He threw himself at Donovan and the two rolled around on the wet and bloody ground.

      

       Mr. Dawson had Ronald’s face held to the ground, rubbing it in the mud and bloody water. Ronald began to feel that he couldn’t beat the man. Mr. Dawson was a force to be reckoned with, for sure.

       “Die a coward, boy,” Dawson whispered into Ronald’s ear. “You just don’t have what it takes. That’s why you failed your parents and that’s why you’re going to fail Ellis.”

       Ronald began to feel different about the situation and knew he couldn’t let the creep win. He yelled, “Ellis wont’ fail. Not while I have something to say about it!”

       Ronald rolled over and threw Mr. Dawson off of him. He pulled out a knife and watched as Mr. Dawson stood up. “Good try,” Dawson said. “But it just isn’t enough, boy.” Mr. Dawson leaped into the air at his prey and Ronald raised the knife. Mr. Dawson fell on the knife and it went right through his black heart. He died instantly. Ronald kicked the body aside, stood and said, “I guess you were wrong. It was enough.” Ronald then ran to help Father West, Mr. Myrtle, Mr. Hall and the others fight off some of the last bunch of Exiled.

     

       William had done his best against the father and son, but he was tiring down. He had only one chance. He had to get Roger out of the way, but this would only anger Chris even further. He had no choice. He made his move, swung his bat and cracked Roger in the skull, killing Chris’s father. Chris yelled out in anger, but instead of attacking William, he grabbed his father and began dragging his lifeless body away out of the fight. William wanted to go after him, but he saw that Alec had his hands tied with Donovan McNeal. He couldn’t just let Chris go, but his friend needed him. And so he decided to help Alec. He ran up and punched Donovan, but it wasn’t enough. Donovan threw William to the ground. Alec wanted to help, but was attacked by another enemy. Donovan jumped at William with a knife, but Officer Mackey burst out of nowhere, intercepted and cut his enemy down. Donovan McNeal, the leader of the Exiled, was dead.

       William and officer Mackey patted each other on the back. They then helped Alec with his problem and then the three joined their friends, Ronald, Deputy Pickles, Father West, Mr. Hall, Mr. McGregor, Mr. Myrtle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle, Mr. Grey and the others. The army of Ellis finished off the last of the Exiled, then stood in a group and rejoiced. William knew it wasn’t over yet. There was still one more thing. Chris Norton was the last of the enemy. He had to be taken care of. He and the others found Chris on the steps of City hall, holding his father’s lifeless body. When he saw his enemies approaching, he panicked and yelled, “Stay back!  All of you!”

       “There’s nowhere to run, Chris,” William said. “You’re all that is left.” William approached him alone. The others stayed back to watch. William placed the tip of his baseball bat at Chris’s chin. “You and your family have caused me so much distress. You don’t deserve any mercy.”

       “Are you going to kill me, William?”

       “No. I’m not like you. You’re going to leave Ellis and never come back. If any of us ever see you near here again, we will kill you. Revenge is out of the question, my enemy.”

       “What about my father?”

       “He’ll get a burial, right next to your mother.”

       “So my mother is dead.”

       William could not bring himself to tell Chris that it was his father that had given the order for her to be killed. “Yes, that’s right. Now go, and never come back.”

       Chris dashed off, heading out of Ellis and was never seen there again. William wondered if he had done the right thing. Ronald and the others joined him.

       “You sure about this, William?” Ronald asked. “You think it was a good idea to let him go?”

       “Yes,” William answered.

       “What if he comes back with others?” Deputy Pickles asked.

       “He won’t,” Officer Mackey said.

       “What now?” Mr. McGregor asked.

       “Now, we bring back our loved ones and begin again,” Mr. Myrtle declared.

       Everyone stood together, staring up at the sky as the storm left. Long time friends Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle, and Mr. Grey had all three survived, but Alec Nightmoon had lost both of his friends. I guess life is funny that way. And so everyone cleared out and separated all of the bodies, and cleaned up the blood. William, Ronald, Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, Alec and Father West set out into the woods to find their loved ones. The dark day was over and the night had come. They hoped that tomorrow would be brighter.

 



                                      The Next Day

 

       Edward, the Warlock, Wendy Temple and the others had spent a long miserable night in the cave. Edward had not gotten any sleep, which worried Wendy Temple. She went to him to talk, while everyone else was asleep.

       “Didn’t you get any sleep, Edward?” Wendy asked.

       “No,” Edward answered. “I’m just worried.”

       “Me too.”

       “Do you think they’re alright?”

       “I hope so. My William is all I have. You know your mother is very proud of you.”

       “She told me last night. She’s worried about my dad though; I can tell.”

       “She knows there’s nothing you can do about it. She’s just glad you’re here with her. You are her world; trust me, I know.”

       “I just wish I knew why William made me come here. Why didn’t he want me in the fight?”

       “To protect you and to protect the rest of us. He knew you would keep me safe. And he needed you here, so he wouldn’t have to fight while worrying about you.”

       “I guess.”

       “You’re like his brother. One day, you must remember his choice.”

       The Warlock rushed into the cave and said, “They’re here.”

       “Who?” Edward asked.

       “The heroes.”

       Everyone woke up to see William, Ronald, Alec, Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles and Father West approaching the cave. There was much joy in this.

       “William?” Edward asked. “You guys made it.”

       “That we did,” William answered.

       “Where’s my dad?”

       “He’s back home. We’ve come to bring you all back. We made it.”

       “How did you find this place?”  The Warlock asked.

       “It was easy,” William answered. “It was you.”

       “Right…”

       “Are they gone?” a voice called.

       “Yes, they’re gone,” Officer Mackey answered. “But we’ve had some losses. Let’s get going, everyone. There’s a lot of work ahead of us.”

       Everyone got their things together and headed off. The Warlock decided to stay. William tried to get him to come along, but the Warlock couldn’t. However, he told William that he had a gift for him. The Warlock could grant him one wish, anything that he wanted. When the time came, William could go out into the woods and ask him for it. William thought this was rather strange, but said thank you and goodbye. William led everyone back towards town, but it would take hours to get there.

 

        The remainder of the day had gone by slowly. Everyone else had stayed behind to clean up. All of the bodies were put in a respectable spot and the blood was cleaned. When William returned with everyone else, they all cheered and met with their loved ones. Some meetings were happy. Others were sad. Many lives were lost and it would be a long time before it was forgotten. Either way, everyone was just happy to be home. The next day, a large memorial service was held. The fallen were buried together. However, there was no pleasant burial for the enemy. They were buried in one big hole the night before.

       The town mourned together, in hopes of putting it behind them soon. Together, they proved that anything was possible. The town had done the impossible. They had beaten the enemy. Ellis would be their’s. That night, William, Edward and Ronald met outside of Myrtle’s diner to talk about what had happened. They all three knew that it wasn’t over. One day, the one in charge would come for Ellis. It was just a matter of when.

       “You know there’s something that I’ve been thinking about,” William said.

       “What’s that?” Edward asked.

       “Just something that the Warlock said this morning.”

       “What did he say?”

       “That if I come out to see him again, he will grant me a wish. He said he could give me whatever I want.”

       “What are you thinking, William?” Ronald asked.

       “Myra,” William answered. “I can get her back, if I wanted.”

       “You wont right?” Edward asked.

       “No.”

       “Because that would be wrong.”

       “That’s right.”

       “Then that’s that,” Ronald said.

       “I guess so,” William uttered.

       The subject was not brought up again that night. However, it had not left William’s mind. “What if?” he thought, “What if?” They spent the rest of the night together and celebrating. The next day, William would see the Warlock about that wish.

 



                                     One Last Dance

 

       William decided what he wanted for his wish. All that was left was to go into the woods to find the Warlock and ask for it. He left a note in the room he and Ronald had been staying in and took off. He knew it was wrong. How could he even think of it? But he wanted it. He wanted his Myra back, if only for a moment. Ronald found the letter, showed it to Edward and they both decided the same thing. William wanted the Warlock to resurrect his dead girlfriend, Myra Wilson. They had to stop him. The two headed out into the woods after him. They just hoped they wouldn’t be too late.

 

       William had found the Warlock and told him his wish. The Warlock was not a bit surprised. “You know that if I do this, it will not be the same,” he told William. “Some things just aren’t possible.”

       “I don’t care,” William responded. “It’s what I want. Just do this…please.”

       “Fine then. I hope you know what you are doing.”

       And so the Warlock worked his magic and out of the darkness came Myra. She was wearing the very same dress she had worn years before at the Central Ellis Celebration. This made William very happy.

 

       Ronald and Edward had feared that they would not make it, but when they actually saw William dancing with Myra, there was a new fear that they had lost their friend forever. They stood by and watched the two lovers dance in the moonlight. Both were smiling and were the happiest they had ever been. But it did not last. In the last second, Myra vanished and was nowhere to be found. The friends approached William, still not sure about what had just happened. Their friend was in tears.

       “What was that, William?” Edward asked.  “What did you do?”

       “It was Myra,” William answered. “I got my wish.”

       “To bring her back? Do you know what you’ve done?”

       “Where did she go anyways?” Ronald asked.

       “I know what you’re both thinking,” William said. “That I raised Myra from the dead, but I didn’t. All I wanted was to dance with her one last time. It’s been so long. I know it wasn’t really her, but it was wonderful.”

       The Warlock came out of nowhere and said, “I hope you enjoyed your wish, William.”

       “I did,” William said. “Thank you, Warlock. Thank you very much.”

       “Now you must all go. Never come back here to these woods.”

       “What about you?”

       “I must be alone for now but don’t worry. When the time comes, I’ll find you.”

       William began to head off, but stopped and asked, “One more thing?”

       “And what would that be?” asked the Warlock.

       “I need to know something. People have come here many times in the past, only to die. People like Barnaby Woodcock, the Door-to-Door salesman.”

       “He had a purpose you have yet to understand. He was meant to come here and give your father that book, the one you’ve cherished all of your life. He served his purpose and was allowed to die as he wished.”

       “And the rock star?”

       “Snake Willis, whose real name was Scott Cruise was sent here so that he could die in peace. I felt his pain from afar, and I called him here so he could move on to where his fellow band mates were waiting. “

       “Why you though?”

       “I just feel sorry for those who are left behind, while those they love are gone. It happened to me; I can not bare to watch someone else suffer.”

       “I see. Thank you, Warlock. For everything.’

       “No, William. Thank you.”

       So the Warlock vanished and the three friends returned to town. William now saw things in a different light. He knew he would never find love again, but at least he had his friends by his side. That’s all he would ever need.

 



                                 The Real Bad Guy

 

       A big storm had hit New York City. In one of the city’s biggest skyscrapers, on the top floor, in the main office, sat the miserable old Montgomery Dyson, who stared out his window into the dark abyss. He had recently received news that his right hand man, known in many circles only as Mr. Dawson, was killed in battle. Worst even that the pawns he had influenced, calling themselves the Exiled, were all dead, including their leader, Donovan McNeal. His plan had failed; he would not get his hands on Ellis, at least not yet anyway. So it was a great surprise when his top mercenary, known only as Number One, returned. However, he was not alone. He had an infant child with him.

       “I have returned sir,” Number One declared.

       “So you have,” Montgomery said with delight. “And you’re not alone. Is this the child I was promised?”

       “Yes sir. His father was the sheriff in Ellis.”

       “He still is.”

       “What?”

       “The plan failed. Mr. Dawson is dead and so are all of the Exiled.”

       “I’m sorry sir. I wanted to fight, but I was told that you needed me to come back here.”

       “I wanted to make sure you survived this and that I got the child.”

       “Why this one, sir?”

       “He, like William Temple, has the potential to be a great hero. He could one day stop me.”

       “Why not just kill him now?”

       “Because he might prove useful. We will keep him in the dungeon but feed him well and keep him alive. Maybe some day I can even influence him into being a son to me; an heir. Wouldn’t that be a thought? A possible hero formed into a villain.”

       “Yes sir.”

       “The father can never know. He would come after him; after me.”

       “He thinks that his son and wife are both dead. He will never know that the boy is alive.”

       “Good. What is his name?”

       “Donald Mackey.”

       “Excellent. Make sure to keep him in the smaller cell, now. Those other freaks would tear him apart.”

       “Yes sir. But what about Ellis and it’s people?”

       “We will have it, one day. For now we will wait for our time to strike. I do still need the key after all. Without it I would not be able to step foot on those lands. In time, we will have it.”

       “Yes, sir.”

       “I’m sorry about your fellow troops, Number One.”

       “Thank you, sir.”

       “Now that you are the last, you can no longer be Number One. From this day on you are Caleb.”

       “Thank you, sir.”

       “Go now. Take the boy out of my sight.”

       “Yes sir.”

       Caleb, formerly known as Number one, left the office. Dyson stood and stared out at his view of the storm-covered city. Donald, who was left alone, locked up in a cell, began to cry in fear. He missed his parents. Dyson knew this but he would soon have them out of his mind, or so he thought.

 



    New Day

 

       After the battle and all of the funerals since, time then seemed to pass quickly in Ellis. Days became weeks, weeks became months and before they knew it, five years had gone by. However, no matter how much time went by, the citizens could not forget about the day the Exiled had come. The cemetery had to be extended due to the amount of deaths. The population was smaller, with hopes that the next generation would flourish. William Temple saw no future for him there. The love of his life had been lost for a long time and things with his mother had gotten rough. Wendy Temple became very sick and the new town doctor did not give her much time. William had already lost his father, worse now that he might lose her too. William’s friend, Edward Hall wasn’t much better off. His parents were just fine, his father had even been made the new town Mayor, but he too had lost the girl he loved. Edward and William felt that they could never love again and so one day they would have to leave Ellis. They kept this to themselves.

       Alec Nightmoon had lost his two best friends in the battle of Ellis. He had known Byron McLoven and Toby Bennett for all of his life, but now they were gone forever. He had stayed in Ellis with his new friends, but he too had hopes of leaving someday. He thought of maybe even doing some traveling.

       Ronald Payne made quite the name for himself in Ellis. He started helping people out with heir yard work and volunteered for school and church events. He made cash by working at the old Myrtle’s diner. He fit in real good there. It seemed funny how someone who had once been one of the most hated men in Ellis became a town icon.

       Officer Mackey could never forget his wife, Martha or their son, Donald. He had lost his father at such a young age and now his family was gone as well. Deputy Pickles gave him all of the support he could, but it just did not seem to be enough. However, there was something in Mackey that kept going. He didn’t know what it was, but I believe it must have been a bit of hope. He accepted his wife’s death, but never really felt that little Donald was gone. It saddens me now to know that he was right. His son was out there somewhere, being raised by another man; a man who would eventually become an enemy to all of Ellis. This was not the end of that story.

 

       Christmas past, and the New Year came, but Wendy Temple did not make it to the summer. She died on a Friday and was buried right next to a memorial spot for William’s father. He had the memorial put there not long after the battle, in honor. In a way, his mother and father were now finally together again. After the funeral, the town held a wake for Wendy at the Myrtle’s café, though William left early. He spent the next few hours under the stars, thinking of everyone he had lost. It was a long list.

 

       A month went by, and Ellis grew more and more unbearable to William. It was no longer the same. Sure, everywhere he looked he had a fond memory of times past, but there were also so many bad memories as well. In time, he knew what had to be done; he had to leave Ellis. But this time, he wouldn’t go alone. He would talk it over with his friends first. William met with Edward, Donald and Alec outside of the Inn. They talked of how things have changed and what they were feeling. Indeed they all had felt the same as William. Nothing was the same. It was time for them to leave. They packed everything that they needed into the car that Alec, Toby and Byron arrived in five years before. Officer Mackey, Deputy Pickles, Father West and the others had already said their goodbyes, but Edward’s parents had not been able to let go so easily. He felt in his heart that he might never see them again, for he and his friends had no intentions of ever coming back. After all of the hugging and crying, William, Edward, Ronald and Alec got in the car and drove off. The Hall’s watched in tears, as their son left with his friends, wondering if they’d ever see them again. They did hope so.

       And so the four friends drove off into the sunset with hopes of making a name for themselves. Whatever the future held for them, they hoped for the best. William looked foreword to testing the theory that “If you’re born in Ellis, you die in Ellis.” Only in time would he know the answer.



© 2011 Robert Donald Brooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on November 14, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011


Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing