Concerning Ellis And It's People

Concerning Ellis And It's People

A Chapter by Robert Donald Brooks
"

A brief description on some of the people you will meet in Ellis.

"

                   Concerning Ellis and It’s People

 

       Our story begins in the town of Ellis, sometime in the mid-late eighties. The Great Split that I will tell you about much later had long been forgotten. Ellis was a clean and very friendly town, that existed without the rest of the country. There was no industry, just small businesses. You could find it on no map, simply because the rest of the world just didn’t care. The only way to get there was by getting lost somewhere along the border of Florida and Georgia. I say lost because if you ended up there, you took a small road off of the high way that you were not supposed to take. Ellis only had one road.

       When you got there by this road, you’d arrive in the housing section. Everyone lived in one small neighborhood. Go North and you’d find the little town, filled with everything a town needs, like a Fire Station, Police Headquarters, Grocery Store, Barber Shop, Church, Cemetery, the Myrtle family diner, the Movie Theatre that only played two movies a month, and more. There were two bars in town; one being Mr. Grey’s Bar, and the other could be found at Ellis Inn. The Inn was the only place in town that welcomed strangers, when there were strangers.

       East of the neighborhood was the school, simply titled, Ellis University. There were never too many children in town, so the citizens only needed one small school that suited all ages between five and eighteen. Many bonds of love and friendship had begun at that school. Many great minds were shown the light there. One boy in particular started his destiny in those halls. But we’ll get to him later.

       It seemed like any other normal little town. It even had a little area at the far North where the teenage boys would take their girlfriends, when they wanted to get intimate. But there was mystery there too. The woods at the North East side were a place where the darkest secrets dwelt. Many who had ventured into those woods died. And they would say that an evil Warlock, whom no one had seen but all felt was watching them, lived in the deepest and darkest spot. But there was never murder in Ellis: no crime at all. That is until the new Millennium began. Things took an interesting and terrifying toll after the clock hit midnight on January first, 2000. That was the night Ellis really bled for the first time. But it wasn’t the last.

       There are many stories to tell about the town of Ellis. Some are good; some are bad. Some are worth mentioning, some are not. But all are what made Ellis what it was. And by the end, you will see it for its magnificence. What shaped the town, other than it’s stories, were the people that lived there. When our tale takes place, back when it had been a very decent and peaceful community, none of these people could ever imagine what the future would hold for them and their beloved town.

      

       Mackey was the town sheriff before he was even thirty. His father was sheriff before him. Like his father, Mackey held the position and the responsibility in the highest regard. He was a good man, and a good cop. His deputy, known only by his last name, which was Pickles, was a good cop too. Not a bright boy, but he still knew his duty. The two were born to work together and they made quite the name for themselves. As I said before, there was no real crime in Ellis, just the usual vandalism from local children and minor disputes. Nothing violent. Again, that is until the night of January first, 2000. That was the beginning of dark tidings in Ellis, but never mind that for now. In all honesty, there’s not all that much to say about Officer Mackey or his Deputy, that hasn’t already been said. Not yet anyway, they matter more later on in the story. I guess for now I can tell you about Mackey’s wife Martha and their troubles with trying to have a child, or how he lost his father to cancer when he was twenty-three. There’s always the story about the time he left Ellis when he was twenty-seven, and got lost, barely making it back home. That was the day he realized what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. But that’s not the point is it? This is a story of more important meaning.

      

       The Myrtle’s ran the town diner. They had been school sweethearts, and were married right after they graduated. Mr. Myrtle inherited the diner from his father, whose father built and ran it before him.

The Myrtle’s were happy and in love, even in their hardest times. See, Mrs. Myrtle was unable to have children and they had always felt like that factor was missing in their lives. Mr. Myrtle didn’t blame her though. He stood by her side, and continued to love her. There was still hope for them to have children, but not their own. Mr. Myrtle had been saving up and working on adopting a young boy for them to bring home. He wouldn’t be theirs, but they could raise him like he was. Unfortunately, it would be a while before there were any results.

      

       Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle, and Mr. Grey had been known as the Trouble Trio, a nickname they picked up as small children. They carried the title all the way through to the end of school with much pride, and were behind many pranks and practical jokes.  After graduating, the three moved on up in town, and started their own businesses.

       Mr. Albertan became the top, and eventually only barber in town. Some would say he was as fast as lightning, and as accurate as a brain surgeon. Everyone got his or her hair cut by Mr. Albertan.

       Mr. Nacelle became head of the town paper. It was there that he fell in love with his future wife, and the two became an inseparable team. After they were married, Mrs. Nacelle decided to return to her job at the library, and soon became head librarian. The Nacelle’s ran many events and gatherings in Ellis, and were a very vital part of the town’s legacy.

       Mr. Grey ran the bar that stood between Mr. Albertan’s Barbershop and the grocery store ran by the Wilson’s. Just like his friend, Mr. Albertan, Mr. Grey was never married. He lived for his bar.

       The three old friends would meet regularly at the bar after hours. They would speak often of life and past times. Even with all that they had been through, they could never imagine that they would one day fight, and maybe even die beside each other in battle.

     

       Carl was the town drunk. There is not much to say about him, other than that one day he would find his place in the world.

      

       Father West was a priest from the western California area. He was a good man and a better priest. A son of a two hippies, West grew up in a world of love and peace. When he was sixteen, a serial killer who had a large track record murdered his father and mother, leaving West an orphan. The young man found himself in a home of God, raised by priests eventually becoming one himself. At the age of twenty-four, West was recruited by his brotherhood to join a new program, which in the end sent him to teach in Ellis. He had been there for the rest of his life, and would become an essential member of the town. It was in Ellis that he would find the evil he was warned about.

       

       The Dillon’s ran the cigar shop that stood across the street from Mr. Grey’s bar, Mr. Albertan’s Barbershop, and the grocery store ran by the Wilson family, whom the Dillon’s had been close friends with. Mr. And Mrs. Dillon had only one daughter, named Amelia. She was a very close friend to Myra, the only daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Wilson. The two shared all of their secrets. Who would have known, the two were destined to be the loves of best friends, William Temple and Edward Hall?

      

       Dr. Marvin Moss was born and raised in Ellis. He was the son of a bar maid and a hunter. Marvin was always interested in medicine and surgery ever since he was a child. He studied all through school and left Ellis for seven years to learn everything he needed to know. When he returned he was made the official doctor of Ellis, since the old one had recently died while he was away. Dr. Moss was trusted by every citizen, even the Norton’s, and delivered all of the children.

      

       Mayor Templeton appeared to be a good man, but he had many secrets of his own. He knew all about the kinds of things that happened in Ellis, but kept it all to himself. He had actually been causing his own trouble. There may have been a few deals, and maybe some executions. However, there is no evidence of these accusations. Unknown to all, that he was the only person to have seen the Warlock. That is until William Temple came along, but more on that later. All I can tell you is that Mayor Templeton was not a good man, and should never have been trusted with the authority over Ellis. One day it would all come back to get him.

      

       The Council of Ellis met on a regular basis. Led by the Mayor, it consisted of Officer Mackey and Deputy Pickles, Mr. And Mrs. Myrtle, Mr. Albertan, Mr. And Mrs. Nacelle, Mr. Grey, Mr. Dillon, Dr. Moss, Mr. Wilson, and Father West. They would meet in times of great need, and made all of the decisions that were in the best interest of the town. They were the last word, and they were the lawmakers. If only then, they knew of the treachery of their secretly sinister mayor. Maybe it would have made a difference. Then again, maybe it wouldn’t.

      

       The town of Ellis was in for some great troubles up ahead. But in the end, the citizens would know what must be done. Ellis had many heroes, with one in particular. They would fight for everything they held dear. It’s just a shame how many lives would be lost in the process.

 



© 2011 Robert Donald Brooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
Added on November 11, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011


Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing