Part Four: Doom-Giver

Part Four: Doom-Giver

A Chapter by Robert Donald Brooks
"

With the intent of killing every one who left Ellis to follow William Temple, a dark assassin will do anything to see his mission through.

"

                                     Part Four:

                                   Doom-Giver

 

 

       “In a story, the villain cannot just be some bad guy who does bad things. He has to be someone that the real life villains wish that they could be…”




                            He Who Gives Doom


       Some say he was not human. Others think it was an inheritance, one generation to the other. Either way, the one called the Doom-Giver was considered to be the most ruthless contract killer of any age. The first time his name was heard was sometime in the seventeen hundreds, in Great Britain. He was assigned to kill a very wealthy adversary to the king. He did so without much effort. As the centuries came and went, his reputation in the underworld grew more and more dominate. Gangsters loved him because he was easy to do business with, and he always got the job done. He was secretly hired on and off by the government when Nixon ran, to take out hard to get enemies. After Nixon exited his Presidency, the Doom-Giver’s time in politics was over. He loved underworld stuff better anyhow.

       The Doom-Giver was known to hold up banks as well as bars, restaurants and other businesses just for fun. He would sometimes do it alone, or with others he’d hire. No one wanted to work with him after a while, because he had the tendency to kill off the help from time to time. He was truly a lethal weapon; a force that just couldn’t be stopped. He felt no compassion and often enjoyed killing anything he was meant to, including any age or gender. However, he did enjoy a challenge now and then. To him, half of the kill was the hunt.

       This killer had much to do with a very bad man that wanted to rule the world. This bad man was the true villain and in time he would summon the Doom-Giver for a favor. It would be the kind of kill that this mad man enjoyed very, very much.

      



                         The Worst Kind Of Terror

 

       Rick Petrie had been on vacation with his family in California when it happened. A very influential Senator was making a speech on the public beaches that day which would matter a great deal to the country’s future. Unfortunately not all agreed with his ideas. The terrorist group attacked halfway through his speech and utterly destroyed him. Once he was dead the monsters began killing all in their sight. Rick watched helplessly as one of the terrorists held him down and two others murdered his wife and their three children right in front of him. They shot him in the back, dragged him away and threw him off a dock and into the ocean. But he didn’t die. When he returned to shore, it was over and the terrorists escaped into thin air. Police were everywhere and there was much grief. Rick found his family and he lie on his knees, grieving over their bodies. That day, he changed forever.

 

       Caleb and his men had loaded up onto an old school bus and were on their way back to the airfield, where a plane was waiting for them. He immediately called and alerted his boss that everything had gone to plan. Once he hung up, the troops continued cheering with rage of victory.

 

        Rick sat in the hospital, while a nurse looked over his arm. A younger woman sat in the room, crying. The nurse told him that the doctor would be in to see him soon and then left the two strangers alone.

       “Hell of a day, huh?” he asked.

       “Oh yeah,” she answered in agreement and then paused for a moment. “You lose somebody?”

       “My whole family; they killed them all. You?”

       “My parents and my four brothers.”

       “These people were monsters. I hope they find them and fry ‘em.”

       “I suppose it couldn’t hurt.

       “Well I’m sorry for your loss.”

       “Yeah, me too.”

       “I’m Rick Petrie, by the way.”

       “I’m Hope. Hope Crawford.”

       This was the beginning of something big.

 



                           How Time Has Changed

 

       Over fifteen years had passed since the day that four friends left the small town of Ellis, in hopes of a future elsewhere. The world did not work their way; America was changing. After a big terrorist attack in California a few years back, the powerful strangely fell to weakness. One man began to gather impossible amounts of this lost power out of nowhere. His Empire was buying out all of the industries and his power was growing and growing. This man was named Montgomery Dyson. Ronald Payne had hated this man all of his life. After his parents had died, he had been given the option of running his father’s company, but instead sold it to the biggest rival, Montgomery. Now it seemed that the company Ronald’s father had built had become this man’s tool to build a world of his own, a world where he could rule with an iron fist. Ronald felt that it was all his fault. Ronald’s friends told him time and time again that he couldn’t blame himself for whatever was going on in the world. There was no stopping industry, why fight it. He had been traveling the roads with William Temple, Edward Hall and Alec Nightmoon for years now; he had grown use to their support. But the thought would not go away. Was it all his doing?

       In those days, the four friends found themselves living in Canada. They were based mostly in Toronto, where Alec had arranged apartments for them. Alec proved to be quite a mentor to the younger men. He himself had learned a great deal of history as well as fighting and surviving skills before meeting them. Up until after they left Ellis years before, he kept secret that as a child he had gone with his father on trips all over the world. His father had many friends who would help him with whatever he needed, including food and shelter. After his father had died, Alec kept in touch with his allies. Now, they proved most useful in these different times. William, Edward and Ronald were different men at this point. They were no longer young, all three nearing their forties. They had learned a lot from Alec, and began to only look to the future. They rarely spoke of Ellis and the loved ones that they had lost there. It was just easier this way.

      

       While our heroes traveled the globe and made names for themselves, our villain grew even stronger. There was no explanation for how Montgomery Dyson had become so powerful. There were whispers that he had grown richer than any country and had his eyes on America. This seemed impossible at the time, but the country was going through much depression, secretly caused by Dyson’s growing wealth. The world would do whatever it had to do to survive, even give all control to Dyson. No one would dare touch him. His security was just too high. A man named Caleb, who had once been called “Number One,” was their leader. After him, was a woman named, Ms. Gale. Together, the two were in charge of a military unit-type security force. It was impossible to reach Dyson and live. He had a small dungeon in the building as well. There he kept all of his slaves. One of them was an eighteen-year-old Donald Mackey, who knew nothing of the outside world. All that he remembered of his parents were visions and feelings he had as a small child. Now they were lost to him. Dyson lied, telling the boy that they were dead. This made the boy weak and he felt no hope of getting away.

       So as you can see, this was a different world then the one our heroes were used to. Eventually there would be more war and death, but that would have to wait. William and the others had to find themselves out there on the road before there were any hopes of fixing things. A dark storm was coming.




                           Not So Young Anymore

 

       William Temple had been dreaming about his lost love, Myra Wilson, again. In this dream, he was alone in the woods outside of Ellis. She came to him saying that he had to move on, but he wouldn’t have it. He told her that he missed her. She seemed to know this. She warned him that trouble was coming. The battle of Ellis was nothing compared to the war that he and his friends would one day fight. As she approached him, he fell to his knees. She kissed him on the forehead and whispered, “After you find peace, you’ll find me.” William awoke to find himself back at camp in the woods of Canada, which he and his friends had been staying at for the last week. Alec and Edward were sleeping, but Ronald was wide-awake.

       “Morning,” he muttered. “Bad dream?”

       “No,” William whispered as he stood up. “Just sad.”

       “Even worse. There’s nothing I hate worse than dreaming about my folks and realizing that I failed them.”

       “Come on, Ronald. You didn’t fail them. You’re a hero, which is a lot better than the jerk you were when we first met.”

       “Very funny. Well you’re still the goodie two shows you were back then.”

       “Also very funny.” William thought for a moment then sighed and said,  “I have a bad feeling you know.”

       “About what?” Ronald asked.

       “There’s a war coming. It’s not over. Whoever the boss was, he’s still out there.”

       “This again. Are you worried about Ellis now? Because the last I checked, you never wanted to go back there ever again.”

       “I don’t but I worry about things, you know. And I’m sure Edward worries for his family. He hasn’t seen them in person in so long. Just phone calls.”

       “I feel bad for him, the poor guy. I miss my parents all of the time.”

       “You don’t talk about them, but I can still tell that you miss them. I just always figured something bad happened that would make you not want to tell us.”

       “How’s that?”

       “Look around. You’re not alone, Ronald.”

       Ronald let out a small laugh. “Well, I’m still not going to tell you.”

       “Fair enough.”

       Edward and Alec awoke to the sound of William and Ronald talking. They all said their good mornings and began the day. Alec kept secret that he had been awake all through William and Ronald’s conversation. He had felt very deeply for these boys and he hated to see them in pain. He had tried his best to be there for them all and to play father however he could. The three men cared for Alec in return. Like them, he had lost a lot too. Ellis had made a reputation for itself for making people there suffer. He had not been there long, but in that time he lost two friends, Toby Bennett and Byron McLoven, who were like brothers to him. William often wondered if Alec thought that he should have stayed in Tampa, Florida. After all Toby and Byron would probably still be alive. William did not like to think about this matter. However, Alec did not regret leaving Tampa. It was true, he had lost his oldest friends whom he missed very much, but he had made new ones too. He also knew in his heart that Byron and Toby gave their lives for the town of Ellis, which made him very proud. He felt they wouldn’t have regretted their decision either.

       The four friends ate some breakfast and then went for a hike in the woods, where they enjoyed the many sights. They took a break near a water hole, where they sat with their feet in the water and talked of times passed. When they returned to camp, they had a small meal and then collected their things and set off back to town. Their time in the woods was over, but their journey’s were far from it. After a stay in a hotel, they would be setting off again where their destinies awaited them.

 



                                   A Dark Objective

 

       Montgomery Dyson never forgot about what happened years before in the town of Ellis. Nor did he forget the name William Temple. He had always intended on having William and his friends killed, but he had a lot of responsibilities to take care of first. There was also the fact that he had heard that William and three friends left Ellis, never to return. Maybe now the time had come for him to have William taken care of once and for all, but how? Montgomery was so busy planning global takeover that he had no time to take care of this problem himself. Then it occurred to him: why not pay someone to hunt down and kill William and his friends. Montgomery had just the right killer in mind.

       Three days after he had gotten the message from Montgomery Dyson, the Doom-Giver arrived, only to be stopped by security. He did not wish to be bothered with them, so he annihilated them right on the spot. There was much fright from the other building occupants, but they were used to death and mutilation. Caleb, Montgomery’s top agent, came down to greet the Doom-Giver. Unfortunately for the dead security guards, it was too late. Caleb introduced himself to the killer.

       “Aren’t you just Number One around here?” asked the Doom-Giver.

       “I haven’t been Number One in years,” Caleb answered. “It’s Caleb now.”

       “Right.”

       “Are you still the Doom-Giver?”

       The Doom-Giver sensed that Caleb was trying to be amusing but didn’t like it and said, “You’re boring me. Where’s your boss?”

       “Upstairs. He’s waiting for us.”

       “Well then lets go. I’m a busy man!”

       Caleb led the Doom-Giver to the elevator that sent them to the top floor. As they exited the elevator, the Doom-Giver looked around almost impressed by the place, but felt like burning it down. He kept this to himself and followed Caleb to the Main Office, where Dyson was waiting for him.

       “Sir, I have the Doom-Giver here to see you,” Caleb declared.

       “Good,” Dyson said, “I’ve been waiting.”

       Caleb led the Doom-Giver in, then left, shutting the doors behind him, and headed to the office of Ms. Gale. Dyson grabbed a drink, then smiled to the other villain, saying, “Its good to see you again, Doom.”

       “Almost likewise,” the Doom-Giver remarked.

       “I see you still carry the same attitude. That’s good; I guess that means you’re still the best killer to hire.”

       “Didn’t you hear about the security guards down stairs? I’d hoped it would have bothered you.”

       “I saw on the security cameras. Their lives mean nothing to me. I’m just glad to see that you still have it.”

       “Lets just skip all of this crap and get to business. Why am I here, Lord?”

       “No one ever calls me that anymore. I haven’t been Lord Dyson in well over fifty years.”

       “You barely look a hundred.”

       “Yes, age has been good to me over the centuries.”

       “Cut to the chase, Dyson. I have other offers, you know.”

       “Fine then. You’re one of the few who know who I am; what I am. And as you know the time is near for me to make my ultimate strike on this world and take it as mine.”

        “I remember, dark one. You take over the world, rule it with an iron fist, then you go back to the sacred grounds, where you restore all of your powers. You will rule forever, blah, blah, blah. I’ve heard this hundreds of times, maybe once each year. So why not take Ellis now, I actually thought you already have.”

       “No, I lost that battle. Remember the Exiled?”

       “Yes. As I recall, they were Axel McNeal’s followers. They were all banished from Ellis by Hector C, Gold.”

       “Right. Well some time back I rallied together all of their descendants, who were being led by a man named, Donovan. He was a descendent of Axel McNeal’s. I gave them shelter in a little village not too far from Ellis, and I promised them that if they strike Ellis and kill everyone who lived there, they could reclaim it as there’s. In return they would serve me in battle when the time came for me to take over the country. Unknown to them that Ellis is all I ever really wanted. When they did their job and every citizen of the town was dead, I would have had all of them killed and taken it for myself. Then I would take the country, followed by the rest of the world.”

       “I like it. So what happened?”

       “The idiots failed. Some big shot hero in Ellis got all of the town’s folk together and formed an army. There were also a few outsiders who weren’t from the town. This army beat McNeal’s men and Ellis remained theirs.”

       “So there were no surviving Exiled.”

       “There was a young man, who was born in Ellis. His father, Roger, was secretly a member of the Exiled, who came there years before as a spy. The father was killed in the battle, but the boy was spared. His name was Christopher Norton, and he has not been heard of since.”

       “So what now?”

       “I need you to go to Ellis and question the citizens. Find out the whereabouts of William Temple.”

       “He’s the hero that stopped the Exiled?”

       “Yes. Wherever he is, he is not alone. There are three men traveling with him. Find out exactly who they all are, as well. Do whatever is necessary, but do not kill any of the people of Ellis. I will do that myself, in time.”

       “How do you expect them to tell me what they know? They probably love this guy. And you seem to forget a little matter of a certain immortal with super powers.”

       “The Warlock will not bother with you. He wouldn’t risk their lives.”

       “So okay, I go to Ellis and find out where William Temple and his friends have gone. What then?”

       “Return here and tell me everything you know. From there, I will plan.”

       “Right.”

       “And Doom, remember: no killing.”

      The doom giver agreed, and then left to head for Ellis. He had a long journey ahead of him, and hoped to be there within two days time. Dyson knew that if anyone could get the job done, it was doom. Unfortunately for him, he knew nothing of destiny. At that time, a destiny was forming that would define the legacy of Ellis.

 



                                A Shadow In Ellis

 

       Much had changed in Ellis over the years. Edward’s father, Mayor Hall, had made the town feel safe again. However no one who was alive to see those dark times could ever forget it. Even though their son was still alive, the Hall’s had not seen their son, Edward or his friends, in many years. They began to wonder if they were still alive. Officer Mackey was still Sheriff, with Deputy Pickles still by his side. Mackey had never accepted the death of his family, but he grew to deal with it. Father West had put up a plaque in the church dedicated to all of the brave heroes that died in the battle. He often recognized the courage of his friend, Carl.

       The strangest matter was that the once feared Warlock had become a member of society. He offered peaceful wisdom to the people of Ellis in return of shelter at the Inn. He recognized the carving in the roof of his room, which read, “Barnaby will find Beverly.” This touched the Warlock. Other than the noticeable changes, things were almost the same as they had been for years. Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle, and Mr. Grey were still the best of friends. In fact, Mr. Albertan and Mr. Nacelle had both retired from their jobs, and joined Mr. Grey in business at the bar, which they renamed. “The Pub Of The Three Wise Men.” Mrs. Nacelle was a bit skeptical of her husband’s decision, but knew he deserved it.

       The Myrtle’s handed the old diner over to the widows, Mrs. Wilson and Mrs. Beckett, and then retired where they spent a lot of their time in peace and quiet. The McGregor’s had retired as well and would often meet with the Myrtle’s over dinner. Ellis moved on, almost for the best. Every Sunday at church, Father West would lead everyone in prayer for their lost loved ones. The newer generation did not fully understand what had happened there so long before, but they felt for their peers. Unfortunately, they would all realize that it was not over.

       The Doom-Giver arrived in Ellis on a Sunday, just in time for Church. He marched on in, interrupting Father West and frightening the town’s people. He introduced himself, and announced that he was looking for William Temple, and he would be very appreciative of any information that they could give him. Officer Mackey warned him that what he was doing was wrong, but the villain wouldn’t hear it. They agreed to meet at the police station in two hours time. After church, when everyone had gone home, Officer Mackey. Deputy Pickles, and Mayor Hall met with the Doom-Giver at the police station. The men were furious, but stayed calm worried of what he might do.

       “So what do you want, fellow,” Officer Mackey asked. “And what does it have to do with William Temple?”

       “I’m just going to lay it all on the line here,” the Doom-Giver answered. “I was sent here by a man who is very interested in his whereabouts. So I would like you gentleman to go right ahead and just tell me where old Billy-boy is.”

       “Why should we do that?” Mayor Hall asked.

       “Who are you?”

       “The Mayor of Ellis.”

       “Right, Mayor Hall. I know all about you. I was given a file to review on the way down here, and I read a great deal about your son. He and William have always been best friends, yes? Well where is good old Eddie anyhow? He’s not one of the three guys with William is he? I’d hate for him to be there when my boss finds William.”

       “Are you making a threat?” Deputy Pickles asked.

       “No, just telling you how this is going to work,” the Doom-Giver answered. “You see, you’re going to tell me where they are, and I’m going to go back and tell my boss. Then he’s going to… ‘Plan’ or something.”

       “Tell us more about your boss,” Officer Mackey demanded. He’s the same guy that sent the Exiled, isn’t he?”

       “Bingo.”

       “Who is he?” Father West asked.

       “Well, you say very little out of church don’t you, Father,” the Doom-Giver joked. “He’s a very powerful man. I honestly can’t stand the old nut job, but he is the boss. Trust me, you guys don’t want to make Him angry.”

       “What is his name?”

       “Hah! It’s not Joseph McGregor.”

       “What did you say?” Officer Mackey asked.

       “Just joking,” the Doom-Giver said. “Do you really think I would tell you bozo’s anything?”

       “No,” Mayor Hall said. “Not at all.”

       There was a moment of awkward silence. “Well I can see that you’re not going to tell me anything,” the Doom-Giver said, “so I’ll just have to find them myself.” He stood snarling, and uttered, “You boys will wish you’d told me.” He then walked right out, and left Ellis to begin his hunt.

       The four men remained, and talked amongst themselves on what had just happened. They knew that they had to warn William, Edward, Ronald, and Alec, but how? Officer Mackey knew of one man that could help him and that was the Warlock.

       They had filled the Warlock in on everything about the Doom-Giver. He was capable of finding William and the others, by using whatever magic he had. So it was decided that the Warlock would leave Ellis and track his old friends down, but he would not go alone. Officer Mackey decided to go as well. This was a difficult choice, but a right one. Deputy Pickles was left in charge with mayor Hall and made Sheriff. The Hall’s asked Mackey and the Warlock to give the boys their love, especially Edward. They so missed him, and prayed for his safety. And so Mackey and the Warlock left Ellis, secretly doubting that they would neither ever return again. They just hoped their quest would not be in vain.

 

       After leaving Ellis, the Doom-Giver stayed in one of the cabins at the old housing village of the Exiled. It had been deserted for so long, but the heat still worked. The Doom-Giver had to get message to Dyson that he would have to hunt down the heroes himself, but that would have to wait. At that time, all he wanted was some sleep. He did not dream though. The Doom-Giver never dreamed.

                         



                              A Reunion Of Friends

 

       Days later, William, Edward, Ronald and Alec found themselves in Alaska. Alec had been there before, but this was a first for the boys. The thought that they would see a familiar face was not in question, yet when they came across their old friends, Officer Mackey and the Warlock, they knew it was not a coincidence.

       “What are you two doing here?” Ronald asked in near disbelief, not that he was completely surprised. They had all known that the Warlock worked in mysterious ways.

       “We have come bearing troubling news,” the Warlock answered.

       “Something bad happened,” William said. “It’s not over is it?”

       “No. We need to get off of these streets immediately.”

       “Why?” Edward asked.

       “We don’t know who will be listening. This is very urgent.”

       “Is there somewhere private we can go to?” Officer Mackey asked.

       “Follow me,” Alec answered.

       The six old friends headed to a quiet hotel, with Alec leading the way. When the door was locked and the windows sealed with all thought of spies gone, the six sat around a table to talk things over. What Mackey and the Warlock had to say was most discomforting.

       “The time has come for the one who sent the Exiled years ago to make his presence known,” the Warlock declared.

       “So who is he?” William asked.

       “Remember everything I have told you of the history of Ellis? Remember the two brothers who found it and were given its power? Remember the one who was evil at heart and saw to the fall of his only brother? I have wondered for the longest time about what happened to the man that doomed me to my fate and now I know. His name is Montgomery Dyson and he has grown to be the most powerful man in all of the world.”

       “Wait a minute,” Ronald interrupted with sudden concern. “Are you telling me that the king of New York is behind everything that happened in Ellis?”

       “Yes. You know him, don’t you?”

       “He’s the man I sold my father’s business to.”

       “Who is this Dyson?” Edward asked.

       “He has spent the last thirty years buying out businesses and empires,” Mackey answered. “It’s been rumored that he has grown more powerful than any country, even the U.S. of A.”

       “America won’t let that happen,” Edward said. “That’s why we have a president.”

       “That wont matter to him,” Mackey objected. “He’ll get what he wants.”

       “Why not just take Ellis?” William asked. “Why bother with the rest of the world.”

       “I don’t really know,” the Warlock said. “That is part of the mystery.”

       “So what now?” Ronald cried. “Do we kill him?”

       “You wont get the chance. Soon he will make his move and the war will begin. His war will be the last of this world.”

       “What about me?” William asked.

       “What do you mean?” Edward continued.

       “He fears you, William, the Warlock declared. “Not who you are, but what you could become. That is why you must go into hiding.”

       “Hiding?” William asked.

       “Someone came to Ellis looking for you boys,” Mackey said. “That is why we set out to find you.”

       “How did you find us?” Alec asked.

       “I have my ways,” the Warlock answered. “I am a Warlock.”

       “So who was this person who came for us,” Ronald asked.

       “He is a demon assassin designed by the cruelty of Dyson’s power. He is the Doom-Giver.”

       “Who?” Edward asked confused.

       “Dyson recreated him the same way he did me. He was once a man, but now he is a twisted shadow that kills for money.”

       “You mean he’s a bounty hunter.”

       “More like a head hunter,” Mackey corrected.

       “If he finds you, he will send Dyson your way,” the Warlock continued. “You will all be destroyed.”

       “So what must we do?” William asked.

       “Run and hide, that is all that you can do. Separate and head opposite ways.”

       “How do we do that?” Edward asked.

       “That is up to you to decide. For now, we must part.”

       “Where are you two going?” Ronald asked.

       “Back to America,” Mackey answered.

       “Back to Ellis?” Edward asked.

       “No,” the Warlock answered. “We can’t go back there. We have business elsewhere.”

        Ronald was upset about the current news. He realized that it was his entire fault that Dyson got his father’s Empire. He felt that it was all his doing. His friends tried to comfort him, but it barely helped. And so the time came for them to depart. Going different ways was tough enough, but deciding how made it even more difficult. It was decided that William would go on alone back to Toronto. There some associates of Alec’s could look after him. Ronald and Edward headed to Miami with Mackey and the Warlock, unaware that it was more than fate that would bring them there. Alec disappeared alone off somewhere where he would find his destiny. The four friends found their separation very heartbreaking, since they had all been together for so long. However, they knew it was necessary. They couldn’t risk this Doom-Giver finding them. They had to live to see the coming War. Their War.

 



  A Job To Do

 

       It was in California that Alec came across his old friend, Elmira. She had been the psychic that helped shed some light for William and now she would do the same for Alec.

       “What are you doing here, Elmira?” Alec asked.

       “I have come to help you in your quest,” she answered.

       “What quest? My friends and I only split up to avoid an assassin. I have come here to hide.”

       “No, you have come here to find me.”

       “Have I? So what is it this time?”

       “You have a job to do, Alec. A war is coming, one that could end the world. A rebellion is growing but it is not yet powerful enough to oppose their enemy. For now, you must oppose him.”

       “You mean Montgomery Dyson. Yes, the Warlock warned us of him. Why would I start a war against him when I should avoid him entirely?”

       “Because you would be fighting the man who will bring great evil onto us all. He is a very powerful man but he is not alone. He has many servants who will do whatever he commands. You must take care of them first.”

       “What do you mean? Kill them? I am no murderer Elmira.”

       “No, you are a tool for the future. Everything that will happen to stop Dyson will be because of what you’re about to do.” She handed him a small paper. It was a list of names.

       “You know his men came to Ellis years ago with a list much like this. It consisted of people they were to kill. I will be no different.”

       “They were soldiers for his cause. Now you’re a soldier for the only hope we have.”

       “How did you get these names?”

       “Why do you ask this question when you already know the answer? You know of the gift I was given.”

       “Yes I do. That is why I trust you. That is why I will do what is asked of me now.”

       “I know.”

       “The man that led the troops to Ellis was called number One. Is he on this list?”

       No. That man is now Caleb. He and another of Dyson’s servants, Ms. Gale, are not on the list because they are too close to him. They rarely leave his company. I must warn you of the danger that they bring. There is also another man, one whom carries a cloud in my vision, blocking me of learning his identity. He will not make his presence known for sometime. Be careful of this one. I feel he has much vengeance in his heart and I am unsure why.”

       “So why don’t we just go into that building in large numbers and attack them all?”

       “Because we are not powerful enough for such a deed as that. We cannot take them down so easily. Plus there are innocents there. They don’t know of what ghastly plans Dyson has for the world. Among these innocents is a young man that the enemy has taken prisoner. The boy knows Dyson is the enemy and that he was taken as a baby. You know the true parents, don’t you?”

       “Yes, I do. This breaks my heart. I understand now what you are saying.”

       “I’m glad for that.”

       “You know I think whatever it was that you said to William all of those years ago really helped him. I am forever grateful of that.”

       “You care deeply for the three of them don’t you? You never had sons of your own and even with the loss of Toby and Byron, you now feel like you are truly not alone. I am happy for you, Alec. Now I must go.”

       “When will I see you again?”

       “When the time is right. Until then, good luck.”

       Elmira disappeared out of Alec’s life yet again, but he knew it was not the last he’d see of her. Now he knew what must be done. He examined the list and realized that the first name would bring him to Colorado. It had been some time since he had been there. Now he would go back, but for a disturbing, yet hopeful purpose. This was the beginning of the Great War.

 



                                    Into Solitude

 

       William had met with an old friend of Alec’s in Toronto who then introduced him to a family that had volunteered to give him shelter. He enjoyed a drink and some conversation before being shown to his room. Hours later, he attended dinner with the family and then he went on back to his privacy where he lay on the neatly made bed. He thought of many things including his friends, the past and loved ones long gone. He remembered the wisdom of his mother and the truth of his father who really loved him after all. Most of all he thought of Myra. It had been years since he left her in Ellis. Now she was dead like everyone else he cared for, not including Edward, Ronald and Alec. Of course he did get one last dance with her, not that it really was her. It was just an image designed for him by the Warlock. With all of his thoughts on her, it should be no surprise that she was what he dreamed of when he went to sleep that night.

      

       He was lying in bed. He looked across the room to see that Myra was staring out of his window. He thought for a moment that he was back home, but realized he was wrong. He was still in Canada.

       “I’m dreaming again,” he said to her.

       “Of course you are,” Myra answered.

       “I will find no peace here. I want to go home; I want to go back to Ellis.”

        “You will, but not yet. The time will come for you to return. When that happens you will have to make the choice of your life. A choice that will come after much war and death.”

       He stood and joined her by the window. “You once told me that I would run away, like my father did. You said that I would leave Ellis and never return. You were right. I did leave, but Ellis never left me. I don’t know where I’m going, Myra.”

       “The path put before you was not made by any man. It is destiny, William. It is your destiny. You will face evil once again and you will defeat it.”

       “I want to believe that.”

       “Then believe in yourself and in us.” The two embraced in a long kiss and then she whispered into his ear, “You will find me in the end.”

      

       William awoke to find he was indeed all alone. He rose and stood at the same window from his dream. He then felt as if he was not alone. He did miss his friends though. After dressing himself, he headed downstairs and had breakfast with the family that took him in. He knew he could not stay there forever. In time he would have to return and find his friends but for the time being he could at least enjoy the peace and quiet of this place. And there he waited.

 



                                     Small World

 

       Montgomery Dyson knew that he had many enemies, but he had no idea of the force hoping to oppose him. They were led by Hope Crawford, a woman who saw first hand what this evil man was capable of. Her colleague, Rick Petrie, was equally as inspired to stop Dyson. A few years earlier, there was a terrorist attack in California that took the life of a very important Senator, as well as the lives of many others. Families were ruined, live were crushed. Only a few survived. Hope and Rick were among them. She lost her parents and four brothers. He lost his wife and their three children. They bonded as friends in this time of crisis and later kept in touch. One day, there was much speculation about the attack and it was rumored that it was an American. After much effort, a man working for Dyson learned the truth and hated his boss for it. He went to Rick with this information. He instantly alerted Hope and it was decided that they needed to do something about it. It began small but grew lushly as many who lost someone that terrible day joined them. The group began marking Dyson’s employees as targets, but it did no good. They didn’t have enough information to know who were the most important. Then it could better affect their mission. Dyson sent out his men to begin hunting the Cause down while Hope and Rick barely escaped. So the Cause went into hiding, where they stationed themselves in Miami.

       They began roaming the streets looking for new recruits. One day, Rick came upon four men who were, like themselves, hiding out. It was unknown to him then that these four men were very important people: Ronald Payne, Edward Hall, Officer Mackey and the Warlock. After being offered some food and a place to rest, the four went with Rick back to the Cause’s base, where they ate and cleaned up. The base was a former school building. It served perfectly for the Cause. Rick led them around until they came across Hope, who he had intended on introducing to the two. Hope was most shocked to see Ronald, as he was to see her. These two had a history. You see, I mentioned a while back that when Ronald left New York, he also left behind his high school sweetheart. She had once loved him deeply and now that they were face to face again, the past returned with much pain to give them. Their friends were unsure what was happening between the two and Edward broke the silence.

       “Do you two know each other?” he asked.

       “Yeah we did, Eddie,” Ronald answered. “This is Hope Crawford. It was a long time ago right, Hope?”

       “That’s right,” Hope said in a heartbreaking agreement.

       “I see that we should leave you two alone then,” Rick insisted.

       “Don’t bother, Rick,” Hope decided. “I have to get back to the radio room.” she turned her back and walked off down the hall and into a door. Ronald was left feeling terrible. There was an awkward silence.

       “Very well then,” Rick said. “Let me show you to your quarters.”

       After Mackey and the Warlock were led to their room, Ronald and Edward followed Rick to theirs. There was a TV with basic channels and a bunk bed. That was it. There was a door that led to a balcony outside. After settling in, the four friends reunited in Ronald and Edward’s room as Rick departed. Together, they understood completely what was going on there. The Warlock had told them of a small rebellion forming in hopes of stopping Dyson, who they realized was a threat. The world hated them, not understanding that they fought for good. They might be the last hope for peace. Ronald and Edward sat out on the balcony talking of the current events, while the other two talked quietly in the room.

       “It’s quiet here,” Edward said.

       “I like the quiet,” Ronald answered. “It’s much better than the noise of war.”

       “War? I wasn’t there for that battle in Ellis. I was safe in a cave.”

       “You did what was needed of you. Never be ashamed of that.”

       “Do you really think there will be another war?”

       “I hope not.”

       “I hate it. Nothing good will ever come of it. I wanted nothing but peace.”

       “We all did, Edward. That’s why we’re so ruined.”

       “Are you going to talk about it?”

       “What?”

       “Her.”

       “Hope? It’s complicated.”

       “Try me. Hell, I’ve told you everything of Amelia.”

       “Fine. We knew each other back in New York. We actually dated in high school. I loved her. After my parents died and I sold the business, I left New York and her…forever. I almost forgot until now.”

       “I’m sorry, man.”

       “It’s okay. You’d better get some sleep. Tomorrow we’re going to find out what this place is all about.”

       After their friends exited, Edward did go to sleep while Ronald continued to look to the stars and ask questions which weren’t answered.

 

       The next day, Ronald went to eat in the cafeteria. He came across Hope and the two agreed to have breakfast together. It was a rough conversation.

       “I know you hate me,” Ronald said, “but you have to understand why I did it.”

       “I don’t care anymore,” hope argued. “That was years ago, I’ve moved on.”

       “Well I didn’t.”

       “It was easy for you to leave, how can you let it bother you?”

       “I was a fool, Hope. I know what I did was wrong, but I was a kid. How could I have known?”

       “I’m not going to fight with you, Ronnie.”

       “Its Ronald these days.”

       “Look Ronald…since you left, my life has only gotten worse.”

       “Why’s that?”

       “My family was killed in California.”

       “That terrorist attack?”

       “It wasn’t terrorists. It was soldiers who work for a very bad man.”

       “I know.”

       “What?”

       “That’s what I need to tell you. Look, I’m filled with nothing but regret for the day I left. But not just because I left you. Remember when I sold my father’s empire?”

       “Yeah, you were given millions and you gave it all away before you took off.”

       “The man who bought the company was called a very bad man but I ignored what everyone said. He took that empire and has built his way up to the top of the world. He is the most powerful man in America and soon he will take the world as his own. I should never have sold my father’s company to him. Because of me he has all of the power he needs. His name was Montgomery Dyson. I believe you know him.”

       “He’s the one we’re going to stop. He gave the orders for that attack. He’s responsible for the deaths of my family, Rick’s family and so many other innocent people.”

       “I know.”

       “Tell me, Ronald. Tell me everything.”

       Ronald told Hope of everything that had happened since he left her. He told her of his time in Florida, the men he ran from, Ellis, his friends, the Exiled, the battle, leaving Ellis and everything that brought him to her then. She felt complete sympathy for him and now understood better about her enemy. She told him everything that had happened to her. Ronald felt for her too. They met with Rick, Officer Mackey, the Warlock and Edward to exchange information and it was agreed that they would stick around for a while. Ronald only hoped he wouldn’t fall in love with Hope again.

 



                                  The First Target

 

       A man named Max Brewster, who worked for Montgomery Dyson, was spending some time in Colorado. He had been ordered by the head bodyguard, Caleb, to stay there for a while and dig up information on a woman believed to be involved with the Cause against Dyson. He never expected what fate would have in store for him. Max had received a message from the front desk in his hotel. There was no name given. This person requested to meet him at the restaurant across the street in one hour. Hoping to be a lead on his assignment, he did so without second thought. He waited there in the restaurant for twenty minutes before a waiter assured him that there was a call and the man would be late. So Max ordered an appetizer with a drink and waited. Another ten minutes later, a man entered and seated himself across the table from Max.

       “Hello, Mr. Brewster,” the man said. “I am Alec Nightmoon. I’m glad you agreed to meet with me.”

       “Well just so you know,” Max begun, “if you’re going to request a stranger to meet with you somewhere, you should at least arrive on time.”

       “I am sorry. I will remember that next time, but for now we have business to take care of.”

       “I knew it, you’ve come to talk with me about the suspect aren’t you? I hope you have some news for me; I haven’t been able to nail a thing on her. Nobody even knows who this Hall girl even is.”

       “There is no suspect.”

       “What do you mean? My boss received a message saying that a girl here in Canada, an Amelia Hall, was a possible member of the Cause. His bodyguard, Caleb sent me here to learn everything about her. Then I am to take her alive and bring her back to New York to see Mr. Dyson.”

       “There is no Amelia Hall, at least not in this reality. I sent that message.”

       “What? Why?”

       “Who is this bodyguard, Caleb? Where did he come from?”

       “I’m not going to tell you a thing.”

       “Yes you will, Mr. Brewster. You’re surrounded; my men are all around us. Now I want to know who he is.”

       “I don’t really know, he used to be called Number One, but he did something big for the boss years ago. So then Mr. Dyson gave him a name.”

       “Who is this Ms. Gale I’ve heard of?”

       “She works for Dyson too. She controls his business outlook.”

       “Business outlook?”

       “She makes it look to other companies and officials like we’re running a normal business.”

       “That must be very useful to a business run by monsters.”

       “We are what we are.”

       “Indeed.”

       “Can I go?”

       “How can I get to Dyson?”

       “You’re going to kill him?”

       “How do I get to him?”

       “You don’t. He gets to you.

       “I’ll find a way. Maybe your friend, Senator Practice, will tell me.”

       “You’re with the Cause aren’t you?”

       “I’m afraid I don’t know the cause. But I am with the good guys.”

       Alec stood, pulled out a gun with a silencer attached and shot Max in the chest. The man died with the look of horror in his face. Alec paid no attention to the frightened onlookers and left the restaurant. He would be heading to where his next target, Senator Practice, was waiting.

 



                                   Loud And Clear

 

       Over the years, Father West had done his best to remain a strong voice in the town of Ellis. He had himself gone through much danger and adventure, just as his friends and colleagues. He often thought of old times: the day it rained blood, the Exiled, the mercenary invasion, the great battle, but most of all he thought of Carl. At first he didn’t believe his friend when he said that he saw an Angel and was given a message to help save the town. After all, Carl had been known to be the town drunk. But it turned out that he was right and he died to defend Ellis. This was never forgotten.

       Father West always figured that when he and the others buried Carl, that it was goodbye. He never realized that he would ever see his friend again, at least not in that lifetime. It happened one Sunday night, after everyone had left. He sat alone in his office with very little light, reading over some documents. Suddenly there was a strange breeze and a loud banging noise. West instantly stood and walked out into the chapel to see what had happened. The front doors were wide open and all of the candles were blown out. He ran over to shut the doors and by doing so, he felt a terrible chill. This would be the first of many in the next few moments. He heard a voice behind him say, “Hello, old friend.” West turned in fright but was in both shock and awe when he found that it was Carl.

       “Carl?” Father West asked. “Is it really you? But how?”

       “Yes, I am here,” Carl answered.

       “But you died.”

       “I know, a long time ago now. It was a great battle, one that we were victorious in.”

       “I’m sorry for what happened to you.”

       “Don’t be, I’m just fine. But now I need to speak to you about a very urgent subject.”

       “What?”

       “There was a man who came here recently. He calls himself the Doom-Giver. What did he want?”

       “He wanted to know what happed to the ones who left.”

       “What did you tell him?”

       “We told him nothing and then he left in a hurry. Our guess is that he’s hunting them down. Officer Mackey and the Warlock of the woods went after William and the others.”

       “Then I hope our friends find them before he does. He is a very bad man, bent on nothing but evil and chaos. He will never stop hunting them. He will do everything he can to stop William Temple.”

       “Why?”

       “Because William is the hero meant to stop Montgomery Dyson.”

       “The man who wants Ellis?”

       “Yes. Years ago he sent the Exiled here and now he has sent the Doom-Giver after William, Edward, Ronald and Mr. Nightmoon. The Doom-Giver will forever serve his boss.”

       “What can I do about it, Carl?”

       “There’s nothing you can do.”

       “Why are you here?”

       “I’m here to tell you that the battle of Ellis isn’t over. Darkness will come here again. Montgomery Dyson needs only a sacred key before he can return here.”

       “When? How?”

       “It’s only a matter of time before he decides. It will be soon.”

       “But how will I-“

       “You wont. They will kill all of you. No matter where you go you will be hunted and destroyed. All of you have to die.”

       “It doesn’t have to be that way.”

       “I hope not. Only when William Temple returns, can the world be saved. Dyson will reach out with his dark hand and William must be ready to stop him.”

       “So you’ve basically come here to tell me that I’m going to die.”

       “I’m sorry, old friend. This is the way it has to be. Now I must leave you.”

       “Don’t go, Carl.”

       “I cannot stay. I could only come for a small time. But don’t worry, my friend. Soon you will find peace.”

       And with that there was a burst of strange light in the chapel and Carl vanished, leaving all of the candles relit. Father West looked around in amazement, though he was now feeling much dread. He knew his time was running out, along with the rest of Ellis. There was not much hope left. Now all he could do was wait.

 



   Bad Politics

  

       Senator Practice was a politician out of New York. He was a crooked and sinister man, who just so happened to be very good friends with Montgomery Dyson. Whatever he needed, Dyson would do for him. He had twisted tastes and whenever he had to dispose of a body or two, whether being an enemy or an unfortunate girl, his friend was there. He was always confident in knowing that he was well protected by the powers of Dyson, but now for the first time he began to feel afraid. His other friend Max Brewster, who worked for Dyson, was dead. An unidentified man in Colorado had killed him. Now he felt this killer would come for him too. Caleb, the head of Dyson’s security, had warned Senator Practice. He said that none of them should take any chances and Practice listened well. It did not do him any good. One night after a long day’s work, Practice headed out to his car to head home. He did not make it. He was beaten in the head and knocked out by an unseen attacker. When he awoke he found himself tied to a chair with tape covering his mouth. However, he was home in his penthouse suite. Alec Nightmoon sat comfortably in a chair across from him, holding a gun.

       “Hello there, Senator Practice,” Alec said. “I am Alec Nightmoon. How are you this evening?” Practice tried to speak but couldn’t due to having his mouth sealed shut. “Oh you can’t talk? Let me fix that for you? And don’t scream.” Alec ripped the tape from Practice’s mouth and the bound senator let out a deep breath of relief. He did not scream.

       “Who are you?” Senator practice asked.

       “As I said I am Alec Nightmoon and I am an enemy of Montgomery Dyson. I am also an enemy of anyone who stands at his side.”

       “You killed Max Brewster.”

       “I did what I had to, just as I will do what I have to now.”

       “What is this all about? Who are you with, the Cause? Damn fools, you know you don’t stand a chance against him.”

       “I am not with the Cause. This is the second time I’ve been asked that. What is this Cause?”

       “The Cause against Dyson? They’re a little army of free thinkers who want to stop him. They’re the new hippies, only more violent and they shower more. They will soon meet their end too. But if you’re not with them, then who are you?”

       “I have been chosen to kill for good. You are next on my list. Dyson is at the top. After you I will kill all of his connections until I finally get to him.”

       “Who hired you?”

       “I told you I was sent to kill him but I did not say I was hired. I do not do this for money. I do it because I have to.”

       “You’ll never stop him. He’s too powerful. Why do you think a Senator like me would be in his graces? I am afraid of being his enemy and then again he needs people like me to lead his influence act for when the time comes for him to take over the country. Soon there will be no presidents or governments. Soon he will be a lord.”

       “If so, you will not see it.”

       Alec shot Senator Practice dead and headed out of the penthouse immediately. This was big. Max Brewster was one thing, but the senator was another. This would affect all that Dyson was working on and it would not be safe for Alec. He had to flee and that he did, until he would find his next target.

 

         Montgomery Dyson sat in his office with Caleb and Ms. Gale across from him. He was angry and his employees didn’t feel much better. There was much confusion over their newfound enemy and the recent deaths.            

       “Who is this man?” Dyson asked.

       “We don’t know, sir,” Ms. Gale answered. “He just showed up out of nowhere. Now Max Brewster and Senator Practice are dead. The question is: who’s next?”

       “Who indeed?”

       “Sir, I’m thinking its time that we took out the Cause,” Caleb suggested.

       “What?” Dyson asked.

       “They’re obviously behind this. Let’s hit them back where it hurts.”

       “This is not the work of the Cause against me, Caleb. This is something else. We need to fix this. I will send out spies to track him. Whoever he is, they’ll find him. Until then, I have some personal things to work out.”

       “But sir-” Ms. Gale was cut off.

       “I will not lose my chance to take Ellis this time,” Dyson declared.

       “I understand sir.”

       “Now leave me to my thoughts.”

       “Yes sir,” Caleb said. He and Ms. Gale left Dyson alone in his office, shutting the door behind them. “You think he knows?”

       “About us?” Ms. Gale asked. “No.”

       “He wouldn’t like it.”

       “I know. So what now?”

       “I don’t know. I’d hoped we’d be married by now.” He held her in his arms.

       “Wouldn’t it be wonderful?” She asked.

       “Soon my love,” he answered. “Soon.”

       Back in his office, Dyson continued to ponder on what needed to be done. All of a sudden, he knew just how to handle this problem. It all became so clear but first he had some other business he felt it was time to finish. So he alerted Caleb and the other troops in his army. The time had come to hit Ellis. Caleb and this small army were sent away to attack the town and kill anyone in their sight. Dyson and Ms. Gale saw them off and then it was time for the other important business at hand. While awaiting his hired assassin, he learned little by little of his new enemy, Alec Nightmoon. He knew that he was now alone out there, yet still capable of great deeds. He had to go. The Doom-Giver arrived at last and was ready for his new orders. “So you have something different you need me to do now?” he asked.

       “Yes,” answered Dyson, “though, not much has changed really. I originally wanted you to track down and kill William Temple but this has proven difficult for you.”

       “I have done all I can. I think someone’s protecting him, using some kind of power to block my abilities.”

       “The Warlock. He must be out and about these days. Well now, that’s interesting. Anyways I have a new task for you. The old man who Temple and his friends were traveling with has separated himself from the group. He is all alone out their but some psychic has alerted him of me. He’s killing off all of my closest and most powerful contacts. Hunt him down and destroy him. Actually kill the psychic too, while you’re at it. I think you’ll find neither have a protection spell to block your vision.”

       “Is that all?”

       “For now. Soon, we will kill them all.”

       “Sure, boss.”

       So the Doom-Giver left to achieve this new task, leaving Dyson alone with his thoughts. Everything was falling into place. Soon Ellis would be in ruins, he would have the key, his enemies would all be dead and he would regain all true power.

 



                                     Ellis Under Fire

 

       In their time with the Cause, Ronald, Edward, Officer Mackey and the Warlock found themselves very much interested in helping their new friends. Ronald found himself getting closer to Hope again, as well. She also felt it. However this small bit of beauty was even too dim for what the Warlock was seeing. He had begun having visions of Ellis falling at the hands of Dyson’s men. He hoped that maybe something could be done but the chances were not so good. He felt what he had to do, so he talked with the others and it was decided that Edward would return to Ellis alone in hopes of helping his old friends and family. This of course did not settle well with everyone. They did not understand why he must do it alone. The Warlock replied that he decides only what he feels to be right. So Edward left for Ellis and would arrive there in two days. This was not the only departure.

       A few of the more important and longest members of the Cause, after Hope and Rick, had recently been captured by Dyson’s forces and were being tortured and interrogated in his Dungeon in New York City. It was then agreed that a small team would go in to free the prisoners. Rick wanted to go, partly because he hadn’t seen New York City in so long. He was born there and had lived most of his life in the Big Apple and he also wished dearly to see the Statue of Liberty once again. Unfortunately, Hope felt it would cloud his judgment so he stayed behind. The team took off right after Edward had and would hopefully return with the freed men within days. The Warlock feared for all in these moments of courage. He knew in his heart that Ellis was doomed; he only hoped that the heroes still stood a chance when that time came.

 

        Father West stood outside of his church and looked out into the streets of Ellis. He did not know it then but this would be a dark day for the town he so deeply cared for. They were all surrounded. Caleb and the other troops snuck around quietly, watching and waiting. They had a mission to do and they would succeed this time. Caleb fired the first shot. Mr. Myrtle took this shot and was the first to die. His wife was killed not too long after. Ellis was under attack and the deaths were rapid. The McGregor’s, Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Beckett and Mrs. Nacelle were all gunned down together by two of the maniacs. As many fell to their deaths, a small group fled to the church, where Father West guided them inside. Sheriff Pickles fired his gun at approaching enemies in hopes of protecting his fellow family and friends. Mr. and Mrs. Hall stayed back and held each other dearly. They had so hoped to see their son’s face again but Edward would not make it in time. Sheriff Pickles was shot and killed, falling so that the doors swung open. Two men entered and began shooting at everyone in sight. The Hall’s died together. Father West hid behind the podium and grabbed a long blade he had had now for many years. After the first attack he got it just in case but he hoped to never use it. Unfortunately, now was the time to act.

       The three oldest friends, Mr. Albertan, Mr. Nacelle and Mr. Grey waited for an attack from within their place of business, “The Bar Of The Three Wise Men.” Mr. Nacelle hoped his wife was safe and out of harm, having no idea that she was already dead. They waited and waited. Eventually, seven troops entered and began firing but missed. The three hid behind the bar and looked to each other. They knew their time had come. They nodded and smiled, all of their old times running though their heads and made their attack. They actually shot down four of the men but were all instantly killed in action. And so the legacy of the Trouble Trio was ended.

       Back at the church, Father West waited for his time to act. As the two men came closer, he clenched the handle of the long blade and then leaped out to attack. Swinging and hacking, he killed both men. He then looked around at all of the friends he had now lost and went to the secret hiding place where he would wait. Ellis became quiet. He was now the last living person who called it home.

 



                                Rufus And Dimitri

 

       They were two fools who had known each other for many years. They had once worked together for a man who they had grown tired of, so now they traveled together in hopes of something better. There was no such luck. That is until they ran into an old friend. The Doom-Giver was on his way to track down Alec Nightmoon when he unexpectedly ran into Rufus and Dimitri. After saying hello and questioning each other, the Doom-Giver led them to someplace quiet and told them exactly what he was doing those days.

       “The old man is cracking,” he told them, “but he’s still as strong as ever. He has me going all over the place hunting down these guys. One of them might be the One.”

       “You’re kidding me,” said Rufus. “The One?”

       “Yes sir. Dyson’s getting nervous. He knows this guy has to die but we can’t find him. I’m telling you, soon the time will come.”

       “What do you mean?” asked Dimitri. “Time for what?”

       “There’s talk of war,” answered the Doom-Giver.

       “He’s finally going to do it? He’s planning his takeover?”

       “That’s right. First America, then when he has the Power of Ellis, the world.”

       “Wow,” said Rufus startled, “the boss was right. Now I’m a little sorry for what we said to him.”

       “Maybe we shouldn’t have left after all,” said Dimitri in agreement.

       “What should we do?”

       “Do nothing,” said the Doom-Giver. “Maybe if he does start his takeover, he’ll take you both back. Until then, I’d lie low. You don’t know who might come after you these days.”

       “Right,” said Rufus. “You’re a good friend, Doom-Giver.”

       “I try.”

       And with that the Doom-Giver was gone, leaving them to their thoughts. “Did you hear what he said, Dimitri?” asked Rufus. “This is our chance to get back up to the top.”

       “Yeah, Rufus,” answered Dimitri, “I heard him.”

       “Well what’s troubling you then? Things are finally looking up for us.”

       “Do you think she’s still there?”

       “I’m sure she is, him too probably.”

       “Right.”

       “You thinking what I think you’re thinking?”

       “I never did get my pay back. Maybe it’s time.”

       “You can’t kill Number One. If Ms. Gale loves him, then that’s just how it is.”

       “No that’s not how it is. She loved me once and I’ll get her back. He won’t get away for stealing her from me.”

       “Now I want to get back on the boss’s good side so don’t you ruin this for me…again.”

       “I won’t. You know Dyson’s rule. If he finds out they’re together, he’ll kill Number One. Then I’ll get her back.”

       “But he won’t like you with her either.”

       “Don’t be ridiculous. He knows I can’t reproduce so I’m not a threat. He once gave me permission to be with her, remember?”

       “Oh yeah, right.”

       “Soon we’ll go back and I’ll get what’s mine. Oh, what a thought.” It was quite a thought. Maybe in time they could get their old jobs back and have a piece of this once promised power.

 



  Dark Territory

 

       By the time that Edward arrived in Ellis, it had fallen. Death was all around him. He could sense that the killers were still close by, so he snuck around until he got to the old church where Father West waited. The old priest worried at first that it was an enemy but was much relieved to see that it was Edward.

       “Edward?” he asked in amazement. “Is that you, boy?”

       “Yes, Father West,” Edward answered. “I’m home.”

       “I’m afraid it’s no longer the home you once loved. We’re all that’s left.”

       “Wait, what do you mean? Where is everyone? Where are the McGregor’s, the widows? Where’s the trouble trio?”

       “They’re all dead.”

       “But what about my father? Tell me where he is. Where’s Walther Hall?”

       “He and your mother were killed here together days ago”.

       This of course hit Edward hard. “No. Please no…please god no…”

       “I’m sorry, Edward. These men killed them all. I’ve been here all alone waiting for my time to come.”

       “What are we going to do?”

       “Wait.”

       Caleb knew that someone had just arrived and so he and some of his men followed the traces until they got to the church. They busted down the door and ran in to find Edward with Father West.

       “Well, well, well,” mused Caleb. “You two hiding from me? I knew you were around here somewhere, padre. So we stuck around; figured you’d pop up sooner or later. And you Hall, it’s about time you came home. So tell me, where are your little friends?”

       “Somewhere where you’ll never find them, slime,” answered Edward.

       “Fine. Have it your way.”

       Caleb then shot Father West, who fell dead. Edward screamed and attempted to attack Caleb. Two other troops acted but they did not kill him. They merely knocked him unconscious, bonded his hands and left with him. They would now return to Dyson with excellent news. On this day, Ellis was truly dead.

    

       Alec had received word to return to California to meet with Elmira. He was of course glad to see her again. He had been in Las Vegas, where he had killed a crooked casino owner who was providing money into Dyson’s foundation. He had also recently killed five others on the list and was hoping for some good news from Elmira. He got some but their visit would not last long. “Hi,” Alec said smiling. She was happy to see him to and said, “Hello, Alec. I’ve been waiting.” She had news for him but after only a moment of talking together, the Doom-Giver arrived. He had been hunting Alec for days and now he had finally caught up with him. He pulled out his gun and attempted to shoot Alec but Elmira was in the way and she took three bullets, which killed her almost instantly. The Doom-Giver was fine with this, since he was also ordered to kill her as well.       

       Alec took a bullet in the arm before running and jumping out of a nearby window. Luckily he was only on the first floor. He got up in agonizing pain and continued running until he reached his car. He got in and started it but the Doom-Giver was not far behind. The villain shot out the back windshield but Alec was fine and he drove off, leaving the enemy far behind. Before she had died, Elmira told him where his friends were. He just had to make it to Miami before the Doom-Giver caught up with him.

 The Big Rescue

 

       The prison break seemed too simple. The team sent by the Cause snuck right by the surprisingly few guards and easily found the main chamber where their allies were being held. Getting them out would not be so simple. They had to come up with a plan. One of the Cause members found a smaller separate cell. Inside was a young man, who was almost afraid when he saw the man enter.

       “So you’re here to do it now?” asked Donald Mackey.

       “What?” the man asked back. “What are you talking about?”

       “Your boss finally going to have me killed?”

       “My boss? I’m with the Cause against Dyson. We’re here to free you people. Come with me.”

       Excited for the first time in his life, Donald followed the man and stuck closely with him. The now much larger group headed for their escape route but got the attention of a tower guard, who sounded the alarm. Troops began firing at the running men, who barely got away in time. Once far enough out of sight, they hid for a while and waited until the coast was clear and they loaded up on their bus and headed home. Sure it seemed just too easy but at least they were now homeward bound, mission accomplished. Donald had no idea where he was going but as long as it was far from Dyson, he didn’t care.

 

       Dyson’s little plan had gone well so far. After hearing news that the Doom-Giver had killed the psychic but only wounded Alec, who got away, he changed what he had originally intended on doing. It was he who let the Cause learn where their colleagues were being held. He had at first intended to set up a trap where the ones coming to save them would be killed on sight but once he knew Alec would be on his way to the Cause’s base, he changed the plan. Now he had it set up so that the Cause escaped with their friends but he had something in store for them. He was tracking the men and once they knew where the base was, the Doom-Giver would go there to complete his task. He didn’t even mind that Donald Mackey was gone. In time, he would be dead too. At that moment, Caleb arrived in his office with great news.

       “It’s done, sir,” announced Caleb proudly.

       “They’re all dead?” asked Dyson.

       “Yes. We would have been done sooner but the priest was hiding out. We got him in the end. He wasn’t alone either. Edward Hall had returned. My men are holding him in the interrogation room downstairs. Should we kill him?”

       Dyson paused and thought. “No. I have a much better idea than that. Put him in the dungeon. Donald Mackey has escaped with some others. The Doom-Giver is tracking them to their base. Hall will replace Mackey. He will now be forged into our secret weapon.”

 

       In Miami, the Cause was very excited to see their friends return with the escaped prisoners. They all rallied together in the main room and talked on what might be done next. It was Donald who was the most quiet. He felt alone but this did not last long. Officer Mackey almost instantly recognized the boy. He was standing with the Warlock. After asking one of the men who had been involved with the rescue, he found out the boy’s name was Donald Mackey. He was his son. He went to the boy very shyly.

       “Hello,” said Officer Mackey, almost afraid.

       “Hi,” responded Donald rather plainly.

       “You’re Donald Mackey?”

       “Yes sir.”

       “You don’t recognize me do you?”

       “No, afraid not.”

       “You’re an orphan?”

       “That’s right. My parents were killed years ago by Dyson’s people.”

       “No just your mother.”

       “What did you say?”

       “Donald, I’m your father.”

       “Are you serious?”

       “Yes.” There was a strange and awkward silence between the two. Come with me, I’ll tell you all about it. And so he took Donald someplace quiet where they could be alone and he explained everything. Donald was very pleased with this news but both agreed that it would take some time to get comfortable with each other. This only lasted the evening before they were actually hugging, telling stories and even smiling a bit. Officer Mackey had gotten his son back. He was filled with much joy at last after all of the miserable years.

       A few hours later, Alec arrived but was blocked by two guards. After being identified by the Warlock, the two talked and filled each other in. the Warlock was instantly worried for Alec’s life but was glad to see him.

       “So you saw the Doom-Giver?” he asked his friend.

       “Yes,” answered Alec. “He killed my friend.”

       “The one who gave you this list?”

       “Yes. He meant to kill me but she was in the way. I barely escaped from the savage.”

       “Well that’s all that matters is that you’re here and safe.”

       “So what are we going to do?”

       “I’ve sent word to Toronto. William should be on his way here now. You wait here for him. Ronald and I are going back to Ellis to find Edward.”

       “Wow, Ellis. Do you think he’s alright?”

       “I sure hope so. Go now; get some rest. Talk with Rick Petrie, he’ll find you a room.”

      

       The next day, Ronald and the Warlock arrived in Ellis to see the devastation. Everyone was dead. There were bodies everywhere and all of the homes and buildings were mostly burnt down. There was no sign of Edward.

       “Where could he be?” asked Ronald.

       “I don’t know,” answered the Warlock, “but it can’t be good. Come we have to gather all of the bodies. We’ll bury them in the old cemetery.”

       This took many hours. They ended up having to dig one big hole in which they put all of the bodies. There just wasn’t enough time to do this all in the best way possible. It had to be quick and messy. Once they covered up the hole, they put up a sign with all of the names of the dead. Yet there was no Edward, though his parents were there. They realized that he must have been taken alive. That might have been worst than death.

 



                                 William Joins The Cause

 

       William arrived in Miami that next day. This was a new place for him, since he had not been that far south before. He was happy to see all of his old friends again. Alec, Ronald, Officer Mackey and the Warlock were all glad to see him too but there was something wrong. It was not easy for him to learn of Edward’s disappearance. His best and oldest friend was missing, possibly dead. However, there was some good news in hearing that Donald Mackey was alive after all of those years and he and his father had been reunited. William and his friends decided that the best thing for them to do was to now stay together and join the Cause. Maybe in time they would get some answers.

      

       Two day passed. William continued to worry about Edward. One dark and stormy night, the members of the Cause were stuck inside with nothing to do. Alec decided to go outside to get some air while watching the storm. It was out there that he reencountered a strange enemy. The Doom-Giver appeared after tracking the escaped prisoners back to the base. Alec stayed calm.

       “You followed those prisoners back didn’t you?” asked Alec. “They said it was too easy.”

       “Hey,” answered the Doom-Giver, “I’m in it to win it.”

       “Are you here to kill me?”

       “Yes.”

       “Well then come on and do it already. It’s time for me to sign off anyways.”

       The Doom-Giver approached him slowly, pulling out a dagger. He stopped and stared into Alec’s eyes before making his move. William couldn’t get any sleep so he decided to go outside for some air. When he got outside he was shocked to see the terrifying image of the Doom-Giver pulling a dagger out of Alec’s Chest. William’s father figure fell dead instantly. The Doom-Giver spotted William and they stared back and forth to each other for the majority of a minute before the Doom-Giver sensed that William would not act and he left. William went to Alec’s body and held him closely under the cold rain. When it was learned that Alec was murdered by the Doom-Giver, the Cause knew that they had to abandon their base. Fortunately there was a new base under construction in Honolulu, which Dyson’s forces were not yet powerful enough to reach. The time was upon them for change.

 

       The Doom-Giver arrived in New York City the next day, where he was supposed to meet with Dyson to collect his pay. There was someone else there instead. The man introduced himself to the Doom-Giver as Christopher Norton.

       “So why didn’t Dyson come himself?” asked the Doom-Giver.

       “You know how things are,” Chris answered. “He couldn’t risk it.”

       “Have you been working for him for long?”

       “Oh yes. For over fifteen years now. I was one of his undercover agents but now I’ve been promoted. You’ll be seeing a lot more of me from now on.”

       “Not me, I’m done here.”

       “Very well. Enjoy your pay.”

       And so the Doom-Giver took the money and departed. Chris stood there for a moment, pondering over the current events. He hoped his old rival, William Temple, was suffering his friend’s loss. Soon, it would be Temple who would die.

 

       The Cause buried Alec in Tampa on a Wednesday, two days after abandoning their base. William had lost yet another friend. He and his friends agreed that maybe they would find some peace with the Cause in Honolulu, however he knew it would not last. On the way there, Hope and Ronald became even closer than before. In time they would be in love again. Maybe things weren’t as bad as they seemed.

 



    Big Plans

 

       Dyson sat in his office all alone. Caleb was in Miami with his troops looking over the abandoned base of the Cause. He wished that he could find out where they had gone off to. Could they already have another base set up elsewhere? It seemed possible. Ms. Gale was with Caleb. She strangely seemed very pleased in going with Caleb. The Doom Giver was gone again but he knew he could find him whenever he needed his services again. As for the reemerged Chris Norton, he was in Chicago making a deal with some old time gangsters over hiring some new muscle to back Dyson up. All Dyson wanted was more power. That’s all he ever wanted. Hopefully soon he would have it. First he had to take America over by storm, then kill of the Cause in an epic war, find the key and once he did all of this he could begin global domination. The key was the trickiest part. He knew it was out there somewhere but where? He knew he could never step foot in Ellis without it, so hitting there next was strictly out of the question. So he just sat there waiting for a sign and hoping for news to come in about the Cause. Once they were dead, along with William Temple, no one could stop him.

 

       Patrick Holdman examined the Amulet his mother had given to him. She had died several years earlier and gave it to him as her mother had given it to her and so on. It had been a family heirloom for many generations and now it was in his care. Now as his father lie dying in the hospital, Patrick knew that he would soon be all alone. For you see, this amulet was most important. There was a struggle coming between two sides. Whichever side got their hands on this heirloom first would decide the fate of the world. Patrick would one ay learn of it’s value. The question was: which side would he choose?



© 2011 Robert Donald Brooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on November 14, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011


Author

Robert Donald Brooks
Robert Donald Brooks

New Orleans, LA



About
Young aspiring writer, whose influences range from Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Bret Easton Ellis and even most film makers. more..

Writing