DAYLIN'S  EASTER STORY

DAYLIN'S EASTER STORY

A Story by Marie
"

HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!

"

     Daylin was confused about Easter. He’d never been to Sunday school. And his parents had never talked to him about it. What he heard bewildered him. He consulted his sister Debbie, though she wasn’t much older and didn’t know much more. “Is Easter the day Jesus died?”

 

     “No. It’s the day He didn’t.”

 

     That confused Daylin even more. “Franklin said He died.”

 

     “Well He did die. But that was before. Easter’s the day He came back to life.”

 

     Daylin persisted. “If He died how did He come back to life?”

 

     Debbie had the all-inclusive, definitive answer to that one. “Just because.”

 

     Daylin tried a different sort of question. “Well, how did He die then?”

 

     Debbie knew something about Jesus being nailed to a cross, but she wasn’t willing to share that with her little brother. “Well…some people thought He was doing bad things. So they killed Him.”

 

     “I thought He was good.”

 

     “He was. But they didn’t know it.”

 

     “Did they shoot Him?”

 

     “There weren’t any guns back then.”

 

     “Did they hang Him?”   Daylin had watched a lot of Westerns.

 

     “Kind of. It was kind of like that.” With relief Debbie saw Cousin Meryl approaching. Cousin Meryl had the answer to everything, though she had few words. “Look. There’s someone you can ask.”

 

     “Cousin Meryl, if Jesus died, how did he come back to life again?”

 

     The woman looked down at Daylin’s puzzled face and frowned. Then she pointed at the ground. “Seed dead.” Her finger traced an upward line. “Flower grows.” She pointed down again. “Jesus dead.” Up went her hand. “Lives.”

 

     Daylin and Debbie looked at each other with astonishment and delight.  Of course! “Flowers may die in the winter,” Debbie whispered. “but their seeds live again in spring.”

 

 

     Daylin had another question for his cousin. “Why did they kill Jesus?”

 

     Meryl brought her fingers to her mouth, then brought them down sharply; sign language for “bad”. “Never mind,” she said, opening her arms wide. “Lives!” And she walked away.

 

    Brother and sister looked at each other again. “I’m going to plant a seed,” Daylin said, “and watch to see if it grows into a flower.”

 

     Debbie smiled and shook her head. “Let’s plant a whole garden. We know it’s going to grow.”

 

   

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
Although I'm Jewish & don't believe in Jesus or celebrate Easter, this story was told well. The ending was a heartfelt one, leaving a spiritual aftertaste. I was able to apply this to my life in my own way. Nicely done.

- Brittney

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I have really written better Easter stories, and I hope to write a better one next Easter.. read more
613

9 Years Ago

Write as often & as much as you can. Expression is endless! I hope to read that one as well.
Hi Marie. What a great Easter story. The simple and guileless innocence of the very young is brought into focus so well by this story. The passion, suffering and death of the Savior and his defeat of death on the third day as promised, as most Christians firmly believe, is the underlying theme to me. All the complexity of Christian belief wrapped up in a wonderfully simple story.

Jim, a.k.a. captflash76

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

THank you. I was a little disappointed in it.
J B Bergstad

9 Years Ago

I wouldn't be disappointed. If you think it needs fixing all you need do is get to work.
Marie

9 Years Ago

I could, but to what point? "Daylin's Easter" is behind me now.
"Meryl brought her fingers to her mouth, then brought them down sharply; sign language for “bad”. “Never mind,” she said, opening her arms wide. “Lives!” And she walked away." - a real 'ahh' moment in this Marie. Calls for a bit of Leo Sayer methinks ;)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks. I didn't know if that particular phrasing would work or not.
Beautifully told , we doubt yet miracles abound.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
your stories always have a purpose, Marie. a lesson, a moral and that's something I can't achieve.
your dialogues are so smooth and real.
happy Easter, Marie.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks Woody. I've written better Easter stories than this one, though.
Marie

9 Years Ago

I actually prefer to write stories that are more light-hearted in nature, such as "Jasmine" and "Hey.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2015
Tags: Easter, garden, plant, resurrection

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..