Malling - a cultural phenomena.

Malling - a cultural phenomena.

A Chapter by Orange Juice
"

An article about the malling culture in the Philippines, the dichotomy it represents, and how Cubao is the perfect reflection of Philippine Society.

"

 

            One culture that has emerged strongly in today’s society is the ever-growing phenomena of “Malling”. Here in our country, we proudly boast of numerous malls and shopping centers that can compete with the best. Images of our last trips to SM Mall of Asia, Glorietta or Greenbelt quickly comes to mind whenever the subject of malling is brought up. However, even before the advent of these wondrous havens for the eager shoppaholic, there already existed a chain of malls that the general public referred to as Shoemart. And in Cubao, a district of commerce that is continuously abuzz with the coming and goings of different people, stands what is known as one of the oldest SM of them all, SM Shoemart Cubao.
            Cubao in itself has a lot of history to tell. Each nook and crevice of the streets has its own story. In the center of this busy place proudly stands what is known as the Araneta Center. Araneta Center, as the name implies, belong to the wealthy Araneta clan and at the heart of their neighborhood is the once known as the largest indoor stadium in Asia, the Araneta Coliseum. Of course, The Big Dome, as it is fondly called, certainly has a lot of claim to fame, one being the world famous fight between boxing legends Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. However, for the purpose of doing my Sociology and Anthropology article, I went to Cubao not to watch an on-going basketball match. Rather, I went there to enjoy a leisure walk while observing the going-ons in what is unofficially claimed as the Ateneans’ long break tambayan, the Gateway Mall and just a few minutes away, the still favorite, SM Cubao.
            Because there are different norms that can be observed in a heavily populated setting, I chose to focus more on the disparity between the shops and the products offered in both shopping center. Bracing myself first for the incoming onslaught of the lunch hour crowd, I decided to first try my luck in SM Cubao. As expected in a Saturday, the mall was packed with eager shoppers preparing for a long weekend due to the Monday elections. Quickly snapping some pictures of the products sold in the place, I marveled at the fact that in truth, SM Cubao is nothing more than floor after floor of department store. It was not the first time that I have been to SM Cubao, it was my second. What struck me the most is the fact that this is the first SM I have been to that do not have the customary Cinemas and individual store stalls. Then came the realization that I am inside a Shoemart built based on the classicdesign. As the name implies, SM shoemart was first built to cater to the need of a market place for shoes. And through the passing of time, this SM has kept to its promise of selling only the most basic of products, hence all 3 floors of department store.
            Over to the other side, connected to the Big Dome, is the striking Gateway. Aesthetically speaking, Gateway is a pretty place. Commercially speaking, Gateway is just like any other A-list mall. The shops are, as expected, all branded names. People are People, MNG, Beauty Shop, Fullybooked and the ever present Rustan’s are permanent fixtures in such malls and Gateway is no exception.
            As in all culture where all aspects are interconnected, Mall Culture is no different. The shops available in both malls majorly dictates who can be found in it. Because Gateway is practically coagulated with International brands such as Lacoste, it is understandable to expect those of the upper middle and upper class to be hanging out in Starbucks. Likewise, since most of the things it sell range from the average priced brands to the generic RTW ones, SM Cubao caters to the lower middle and lower class that hunt down shop sales. As such, this only proves that in societies and cultures, all aspects affect the development of others.


© 2008 Orange Juice


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2185 Views
Added on April 12, 2008


Author

Orange Juice
Orange Juice

Philippines



About
An ordinary person living an ordinary life. A single speck in the vastness of space. A single grain of sand among the billions on shore. A being trying to find her place in this world. �H.. more..

Writing
Editorial #1 Editorial #1

A Chapter by Orange Juice