Of Robes, Candles and Cults

Of Robes, Candles and Cults

A Chapter by Orange Juice
"

A refelction on a Documetary Film about the role of groups in fulfilling man's inherent need of belongingness and how it helps to shape modern society.

"

 

Of Robes, Candles and Cults
 
            When I hear the word secret society, what immediately come to my mind are the numerous fraternities and sororities that exist in the different universities in the Philippines. When we saw the documentary about some of the most notorious and infamous societies in America, I begun to think that perhaps the different stories of initiations that my cousins and my dad told me are nothing compared to what the members of those societies endured, and, dare I say, continue to endure.
            When one thinks about the nature of secret societies, cults, fraternities and sororities, one cannot help but wonder what force drove their members to commit some of the atrocities being a member required a person to do. Perhaps, the oath of allegiance or whatever it is they call it, binds them into following the rules and the codes that govern their group. However, there must have been something that lured them into wanting to be part of the group in the first place. Some would say that that something is a particular shared interest within the group. An example of this is in KKK where all members seem to have violent tendencies of discrimination against anyone not white, or in Skulls and Bones where all members are persuaded that they are destined for greatness. Then again, these interests can quite possibly be mere masks to hide the truth. The only reason why I believe these secret societies continue to flourish and lure members is because of the members own nature of wanting to belong.
            Being a part of these societies assures the members that they are included in something and are not just some out of place, abomination created by mistake. The sick thing is, even if it meant causing harm to others, people almost always agree to do the initiation rites and continue to do harmful things to others just so that they could feel that they belong.
            In the film, we see how these infamous societies lure members into their midst. Some use the subtle guise of protecting the planet, others use outright propaganda movements while others still use bribes and promises. The difference between these secret societies does not stop there. Perhaps the most glaring disparity is the level of exclusivity that these societies exude. Take KKK and Skulls & Bones as examples. In order to be a member of KKK, one must most definitely be white and of course, must hold burning hatred for the blacks or the colored populations of this Earth, it does not matter what is your status in the society is. In Skulls & Bones however, one must obviously be a student of Yale. The color of your skin does not matter as long as you show the promise of being the head of a state, or better yet, the president of the country.
            I thin what I really want to say in this paper is that I have learned something very important about the nature of humanity while viewing this documentary. By being part or even by wanting to be a part of these secret societies, we see a side of human nature that is vulnerable and is needy of the reassurance that, yes, they do have a part to play in this life, that they have beliefs that they live by and that they belong in this world. On the other hand, we also see a side of humanity that is nasty and cruel. This very nature of man pushes him to do harm to others, this side rationalize that it is reasonable to hurt others in order to be included in the secret, the side that rejoices in the exclusion of others.
 


© 2008 Orange Juice


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very true.

Posted 13 Years Ago


god job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can relate and i like the flow

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2008


Author

Orange Juice
Orange Juice

Philippines



About
An ordinary person living an ordinary life. A single speck in the vastness of space. A single grain of sand among the billions on shore. A being trying to find her place in this world. �H.. more..

Writing
Editorial #1 Editorial #1

A Chapter by Orange Juice