The MacGuffin - Chapter 1

The MacGuffin - Chapter 1

A Chapter by Runa Pigden
"

introducing Tessa and Tori

"

Tessa Beardon tucked the shoebox and her briefcase under one arm while she fumbled in her purse for the car keys. “Why do the damn things always settle to the bottom?” she asked aloud.  “Because they’re the heaviest.”  A quiet reply behind her almost sent all of Tessa’s purse contents flying. She quickly regained her composure as she spun around to face that voice.

            Craig Biggins from the corporate division at Hamilton, Steiner and Barr stood grinning at her. She looked up at his smug face with disgust. “Biggins, you are fortunate on two accounts. One, I didn’t use my self-defense training and drive your gonads into your bladder, and two, I’m too busy to have you charged with stalking.”

            The broad smile never slipped on his tanned face. Did the man even sweat? It felt more like July than the first day of June.  “Now, now, Tessie.” Yet another reason she couldn’t stand the man. “You know you really need assistance so let me help you get into your car before something falls into that puddle that you’re standing in.”

            Tessa looked at the ground to see that, indeed, her designer black suede heels were just avoiding becoming stained by the remains of this morning’s downpour. She could use the help but, then again, she could simply unload her burdens onto the hood of her car and avoid giving Biggins any ground in their relationship. Relationship? She mentally shook her head. They had no relationship outside of his unwanted attention and her animosity. They didn’t even work on the same projects despite being in the same division at HS&B. “Thanks, but no thanks.”

Tessa turned her back on him and rested her purse on the top of the fender of her premium compact. She pulled on the edge of her now conspicuous key fob and shifted it to rest in the palm of her hand, one key trapped firmly between two fingers. She purposely planted her right heel into the center of Craig’s highly polished Horatio Oxford as she turned back to the driver door. “Back off, Craig, you’re in my way,” she growled. She quickly lifted her foot again to avoid losing her heel. She couldn’t afford to replace that pair any time soon. Craig held up his hands in a gesture of non-aggression and backed away from her with that sly smile of his as she clicked her unlock button. Tessa noticed that he never took his eyes off her though. She yanked open the door and tossed her briefcase and purse onto the passenger seat. Cradling the shoebox, Tessa slipped into the driver seat and pulled the door closed, cutting off any opportunity that he might have taken.

With a practiced movement, the key was instantly into the ignition slot and the engine was roaring to life. Tessa took a deep breath to release her impulse to drive into the infuriating man. She glanced at her rear view mirror to see Craig give a shrug and turn toward his bright yellow sports convertible. Why hadn’t she noticed his car as she left the medical building? There were very few of that model around, especially in that color. Why was Craig at the medical arts building himself at this time of day? Had he actually been stalking her, or was it just coincidence? She had used some comp time owed to her to have these Friday afternoons off early but Biggins was a company go-getter who never took a moment off work if he thought upper management might notice.

Later, while warming up on the treadmill, another question occurred to Tessa as she finished reciting the incident to her best friend. “Tori, is it possible that I’m encouraging him in some way? I mean he is everything that most women want �" intelligent, successful, handsome, ambitious.”

“Annoying, aggressive, arrogant, imposing, creepy like a stalker.” The petit woman paused for a moment, then asked, “Shouldn’t he have still been at the office? Maybe he is stalking you.”

“That thought already occurred to me,” Tessa replied with a quick shake of her head. “Biggins is too smart to let a harassment charge ruin his chances at making partner someday.” She shrugged. “You know, when I stop to think about it, I can’t decide if he really thinks he’s attracted to me, or not.”

“Then forget him.” Tori turned off her treadmill and headed for a rowing machine. “Hey, how was your session with Dr. Baille today?” Trust Tori to change the conversation on a dime.

Tessa looked about the fitness room and shook her head. “Later. At dinner.” She set the computer of her treadmill to speed up and began to jog. She was not going to discuss her recent visits to a psychologist in front of strangers. It took a little longer than usual to shake off the day’s events but eventually she reached the sheer mindlessness of steady running. She liked to call it her Zen state. There were no badgering telephones, email pop-ups, or voices demanding her attention, just the steady rhythms of her feet, her breathing, and her heartbeat. Later, while doing static stretches on a mat beside Tori, Tessa quietly apologized for cutting her off earlier. “I don’t want a rumor started that I’m mentally incapable or anything,” she explained. “That’s the kind of foolishness that kills any chance of moving up the ranks at HS&B.”

“Even if you did have mental health issues, the firm should be understanding. I can’t fathom why you would want to make division head, or junior partner, there anyway.” Tori started in again on her favorite conversation. “It’s not like you really like working for them. And you know very well that you could enjoy a family life with Daniel, if you only gave him a glimmer of hope.”

“Daniel is concentrating on his own career. We’re fine the way we are. There’s no pressure from either of us to change our status. I may not be happy at Hamilton, Steiner and Barr, but it is the major law firm in the area. Once I get a little known there, I will be able to write my ticket at any other firm in the city.”

Tori shrugged. “Everyone knows that HS&B hires only the best and the brightest. You could write your own ticket at another firm now. And then you wouldn’t have to work so hard to rise above the rest of the cream.” She released a long sigh.  “Tessa, I know you are a born competitor but, Sweetie, you have to admit that you are on a fifteen- to twenty-year-long journey with little room for a personal life. How many of the partners or junior partners are still married to their first spouses? Heck, I’m willing to bet that some of them are on their third or fourth.”

Tessa stopped at the top of a sit-up to blow aside a stray strand of blonde bangs. “Tori, this is a broken record that is starting to sound more than a bit scratchy.” Both women giggled at Tessa’s impersonation of her father. “Actually, T2, that’s the other conversation I wanted to have tonight, so let’s postpone the rest of your lecture until then.” She leaned over her now extended legs and gave her back a good stretch. “I’ve had enough for today. See you in the shower room.” One quick movement and Tessa was on her feet, reaching for her towel and water bottle. With a waggle of her fingers over her shoulder, Tessa bounced out of the fitness room leaving Tori to puzzle over that last comment.

Just over an hour later, Tessa pulled off Fieffer Avenue into the parking lot of The Sunshine Corner. She was surprised to find the restaurant quite busy. She and Tori had been coming to dinner here every Friday after their workout since their third year of undergraduate school and intended to continue to do so until they were little old ladies in red hats. The huge Victorian house was a testament to the architecture and building practices of the end of the nineteenth century. Smokers sat on the benches on the wrap-around veranda barely noticed behind the large feathery ferns hanging between each upright support. A queue had formed on the front steps with some of the crowd resting on the wrought iron railings. Obviously the line was not moving quickly. With the very specialized menu of The Sunshine Corner, it was surprising to see so many people. Tori waved from the far side of the building to catch Tessa’s attention. Tori had obviously found a parking spot out back so Tessa steered her car that way. Tori dashed ahead of Tessa’s car and stood in an empty parking spot just two over from her own car.

“Thanks, Tori, you’re the best,” Tessa gushed as she got out of her vehicle. “Can you ever remember seeing this many people at The Corner before?”

“I totally forgot until I arrived that there is a vegetarian and vegan lifestyle convention in town this weekend. I was planning on attending a couple of the workshops but I never sent in my registration. Wonder if it’s too late?”

“Well, you and I have always said that The Corner was a hidden treasure sadly unappreciated by this city. Hopefully, this will give it some much needed attention. So, do you want to wait in line or go somewhere else?”

Tori’s face broke into a huge mischievous grin. “I called David as soon as I realized what was going on. We have a backdated reservation for the Orchid Room.”

Tessa laughed. “Tori, you are a monkey. No wonder I’m always saying you’re the best.”

The two friends linked arms and headed for the front door. The tall arched door framed with pink and cream brickwork looked so far away due to the size of the crowd that filled the six steps. Tori’s grin returned as they repeatedly excused themselves to push through the crowd. Tessa could feel the annoyance emanating from these strangers as they snaked their way to the front door.

“They said it’s about an hour wait,” explained one man as they tried to pass him. “I already asked.”

“Thanks,” muttered Tessa, but Tori proudly announced, “Not for us. We have a reservation.”

With Tori’s announcement, the last few people stepped aside as best they could and Tessa caught a few quiet comments about making reservations. As they stepped through the door, the maître d’, David, spotted them. “Ms. Beardon, Mrs. Dupuis. Right this way.” The women grinned at one another. David was really playing up his part tonight.

David led them through the second dining room which doubled as the bar most nights. At the edge of the bar they turned and ascended the broad stairs that had once been the right wing of a grand staircase. The left staircase had been removed long ago but there was still an old servants’ stairs at the back of the building that served mostly as an emergency exit for the upper level. The wait staff served the second floor from a dumb waiter elevator which ran from the kitchen to a small service room.  Despite The Sunshine Corner being a vegetarian and vegan restaurant, it was still the only restaurant in town that specifically catered to business lunches and small meetings. Some days there could be more people dining in the small rooms of the second floor than on the first. David stepped aside as they reached a small private dining room painted in shades of lavender. “I will send Lana in to see you ladies in a couple of minutes. In the meantime, may I get you something to drink?”

Tori and Tessa gave David their drink orders and settled into the honey oak chairs around the matching dining table which filled the end of the room next to the stained glass window overlooking the front porch roof and the street below. The plaque on the wall next to the door explained that this had been Miss Orchid Fieffer’s room as a teenager. Miss Orchid had eventually married Henry Walter Simpson of the Simpson Brewing family and moved to the only other standing heritage home in the city, just across the tree-lined Simpson Boulevard. When Orchid Simpson moved into a nursing home at the age of ninety, she had donated a vast sum to the city in order to restore and maintain the two buildings as historical sites. Both the Fieffer Manor, now most commonly known as The Sunshine Corner for the restaurant that it housed, and the Simpson Mansion were literally art galleries of Victorian and Edwardian art and photography, with the Simpson home also housing a small historical museum.

Tessa’s eye was attracted to a small painting of a family with three girls dressed in frilly white dresses. A strange chill ran up her spine. “Are you cold, Hon?” Tori had obviously noticed. “Are you sitting in a draft?”

“No, I’m fine,” Tessa replied. “Just one of those weird moments I get at times. For a moment I could see those girls in that painting alive and struggling to stand still for the artist.” She shook her head as if to erase the moment.

Tori laughed. “Can you imagine how horrible it would have been to get dressed in those stiff dresses every morning and stand stock still for an hour or two?”

“How do you know it was every morning?” Tessa knew that Tori had studied Art History but she was fairly sure that this painting wasn’t famous.

“Standard procedure for Victorian families who hired painters. Mornings were the time for the household to prepare for the rest of the day. Afternoons were spent attending social teas or doing business, and evenings brought even more social gatherings. The only assured time of getting the whole family in the same light every day would be late morning.”

“I can’t imagine wearing those stiff dresses with all the under garments, never mind standing perfectly still for some artist. Thankfully we have cameras these days.”

“Kids don’t even sit still long enough for a photographer.” Lana stepped into the room and joined the conversation. “I took my three kids to the Pioneer Village last summer to get one of those antique photographs done. I had a hard enough time getting them into the costumes, never mind standing still long enough for the photographer.”

The three women exchanged pleasantries as the waitress set out water glasses and a breadbasket and then recited the day’s specialties. Tessa ordered her favorite: vegetarian moussaka and a small Greek salad. Tori settled on the sweet potato and squash bisque alongside the Got Protein? Salad that The Corner had made so popular. As Lana stepped out to place their orders, a detached quiet settled on the friends.

Tessa waited to see if Tori was going to start a conversation. When the silence continued, she reached for a crusty roll and slowly buttered the insides. “So where do we want to start? My career versus a family life, my visit with Dr. Baille, or what new amazing thing happened with one of your kids this week?”

Tori looked up from the slice of rye bread in front of her and grinned at her best friend. “Well, Douglas did finally put the number seven in its correct place when he was counting this week.” Tori taught a class of children with special needs, most of whom were developmentally challenged. Douglas’ penchant for reciting, ‘one, two, seven, three’ had been a source of illicit amusement for the two women. They knew that they should not have found the boy’s trouble with numbers so amusing but could not help using it occasionally to make the other laugh.

“Hey, that calls for a celebration!” Tessa was serious. “I think I’ll stop by on Monday with a cake. I’ll get the bakery to put ten candles on it and the kids can all practice their counting while the candles burn down to the icing.”

“Tessa!”

“What? I’m serious. You know how quickly those little birthday candles burn. On Dad’s last birthday, we had singed icing because he took so long trying to think of a wish before he blew them out.”

“Actually, T1, that would be an especially nice gesture and the kids would love having cake for snack time. Thank you. You are so sweet.”

“How is Sienna doing this week?” Tessa ignored the compliment. She had assisted Tori on a couple of special occasions and had grown attached to the tiny girl in the wheelchair.

“No change.” Tori’s face fell. “I wish I knew if anything reached her at all. She responds to nothing except being cuddled or having her hair brushed. Which makes Billie quite happy since she loves to brush Sienna’s hair.”

Tessa gave her friend a sad smile. “Tori, I don’t know how you do it. I would go home in tears every day.”

“Some days I do, but most days there is some small change in one of them that makes me rejoice.”

The two women continued to talk about Victoria Winters-Dupuis’ class and the events at the school. The return of the dark-haired waitress interrupted little as the conversation was more or less spent by then. The pair noticed immediately that their salads had arrived on the dishes normally reserved for the Mark Twain evenings hosted by the Fieffer Manor two or three times a year.

“We got the best china!” they both exclaimed in unison, then glanced at each other and giggled as they hooked baby fingers.

“Running out of dishes downstairs,” muttered Lana as she set down Tori’s salad. A chickpea slipped errantly away from one edge and rolled into the center of the oak table. “No one expected this many people to show up here tonight. We’re even running out of certain entrees which means Chef’s getting tetchy. And we still have the convention in town until Sunday.” She rolled her eyes and disappeared out the door again.

“I think you may be getting your wish, Tori.”

“What’s that?” The words took on a muffled tone as they passed a fork full of nuts, seeds, and fried tofu.

“If they’re that busy, then vegetarianism must be growing more mainstream. I know how happy you would be if everyone quit eating animals.”

“If eating vegan was the norm, then every restaurant in the city would be sharing in the windfall.”

Tessa mentally scored one for her friend for that point. Tessa enjoyed eating vegetarian meals a few times a week but she could never give up her mother’s occasional Sunday brunch of eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, and toasted homemade bread smothered in butter. She could hear her arteries groaning on those Sunday mornings but then, it was only once in a while. Plus, a juicy prime rib dinner out with Daniel was not to be scoffed at either. Tori, on the hand, had seen a video about the poor treatment of meat animals during high school and had immediately ceased to ingest, or use any animal products.

Lana returned with their entrees and the friends continued their meal with very little conversation. Each mouthful of anything prepared by Chef Paul and his staff was to be savored. Tessa and Tori were his biggest fans and had been since their first visit almost nine years ago. But as dessert arrived, the smaller woman proved her tenacity.

“So back to my question about your last session with Dr. Baille.”

Dr. Baille. Tessa found it hard to believe that six months ago she had not even heard of the man, let alone the work he had done for her. Actually a year ago, she would never have believed in what she had done.


 



© 2019 Runa Pigden


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on February 22, 2019
Last Updated on February 22, 2019
Tags: pigden publications, reincarnation, past lives


Author

Runa Pigden
Runa Pigden

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada



About
I grew up as a military kid (father was RCAF) in the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba, Canada throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s. My mother was a published poetess who encouraged reading and wr.. more..

Writing