[untitled]

[untitled]

A Chapter by Rusty

 

Chapter 3

The discovery

 

 

My Dearest Jayden,

I wish that I could be there with you now; I know that you have been through a lot in your life, things that I mourn that I missed, every birthday, every Christmas, the first boy that you kissed, and your prom and graduating high school.  All of these things you were without me, I’m sure that you managed, but I’m sad that I missed them.  You were such a bright and curious child, always finding trouble where there was none.  I know that you will fare well in your life it’s in your blood, you are my daughter.  There are things that I need to tell you so listen closely.  The ring that you have now is a very special ring, be sure that you never take it off or ill-will will befallen you.  This ring has been in our family since time began, it is passed on through generations so keep it close.  There are people in your life that mean you harm, so do not trust as easy as you have in the past.  With your closest friend, Saska, he will be your protector so keep him close as well  There is a family that you must search out, I can not tell you their names but I can tell you that they come from the east and they have something that you seek.  I’m sorry that I can not be more descriptive in this letter, but it is against our laws.  I can tell you that things will happen to you that you don’t understand, but trust me, it will be ok and you need to search deep within yourself for them to be clear.  Remember that not all help comes in the form that you are use to, so open your eyes and look around, help is always with you.  I can tell you that you are a very special girl and you have destiny like no other so choose wisely in your life for you are my princess and I am your queen. 

I want to hold you right now and tell you how much I love you, but since you are ready this letter, I was careless and died before my time.  I do not want that to happen to you so be careful in your life and try to see ahead if you can.  My dearest Jayden, I love you so much and please tell your father I love and miss him too, but do not show this letter to him, for he has been kept in the dark about our lives and it will put him in danger to know anything.  I was not supposed to marry your father, but he was my soul mate and one can not risk everything without love.  I know that this letter did not give you the answers that you were looking for, but they will come in time.  I will always be with you, so open your heart and I will help you through your journey.  Take care, my Jayden.

 

With all my Love,

Mother

 

The tears were rolling off my face, I want my mother back, I want to hold her and have her tell me I’m going to be ok.  I want her to explain this letter to me, now my questions are too much for me to even think about.  What did this entire mean, how dare she leave me to deal with this all by myself?  Why was I feeling anger towards her, I had never been angry with her before, why now?  I reached over to grab some tissue and my Saska got up and rested his head on my lap.  And you, how had mother known what we would call you, how had Sully thought of the name for you.  This is all too weird for me, as my thoughts were all mangled together I started to drift off to sleep.

I woke up feeling rested, but a little uncomfortable.  I looked over and Saska had taken up almost the entire bed with his feet pushing into my back.  Great, now I have to share my bed, what else will I have to give up?  Sully was already dressed and had put the mattress away, but she wasn’t in the room, had she already left.  I put my robe on, I had to hide my letter, I put it under my mattress, somewhere that I knew my Dad would not look, and went downstairs hoping that Sully was still here, I wanted to talk to her about my letter.  I could hear voices coming from the kitchen.

“Good morning Jayden, how are you feeling this morning?” My dad said with a hint of anger in his voice.

“I’m ok Dad, how are you?” I asked with question.

“Oh I’m fine, so how was your night?” He asked.  I could tell he knew something but I wasn’t sure what it was.

Sully was sitting on one of the stools next to the breakfast bar, looking at me with wide eyes, she was turned so that Dad couldn’t see her face.

“It was an adventure, thanks for asking.” I said trying to hide any lie.

“So can you tell me why the police are on they’re way to our house right now?” He asked me.

“The police are on their way to our house?” I asked as I went over to pour myself come coffee that Dad had already made.

“Yes they are, so let’s hear what you ladies did last night that would warrant a visit from the authorities.” My dad handed me a mug and poured my coffee for me trying to read my face for some answers.  I turned to walk towards Sully and mouthed help to her, but she just shrugged.  I mouthed Thanks to her, but she just smiled at me.  Saska came to the rescue by whining at the back door.

“I’ll be right back dad, Saska needs to pee, and I’ll just be a minute.  Sully can you grab a water dish out of the cupboard, I bet he’s thirsty too.” I asked her without even looking at her, I didn’t want to give my Dad any reason to think I was up to anything.

Once we were outside, Saska went over to the bushes to do his business.  I had a feeling that my Dad was watching through the kitchen window.

“Sully, have you told my Dad anything?” I asked in the softest whisper I could manage, we had our backs to the kitchen window.

“No, he just got the phone call a few minutes before you came downstairs and I excused myself to use the bathroom so he wouldn’t be able to ask me any questions.” She also whispered.

“We only have a few minutes to get our stories straight, I think we should stick to the most truth we can, except we leave out the bar part, and the gun part.” I pointed out to the yard like we were talking about Saska.

“That sounds good, how about we tell him we got some pizza to go and walked down main street to window shop and I went to use the bathroom when you were attacked.” Sully said with excitement.

“Yeah, that’s great, and when came out and I was gone, you got in your truck to look for me.  Good great and….” Dad interrupted my last thought.

“Are you finished letting the dog pee, Jayden.” My Dad asked with accusation.

“Let’s go Saska.” I commanded.

Saska went right in with no hesitation.

“So, are ladies going to tell me what happened before the police get here?” Dad asked as he sipped on his coffee.

“Ok, dad, now you can’t over react….” The door bell rang

Great, they’re here, now I’m going to have to hear it as you tell it to the police.  I hope you ladies didn’t get into any trouble.

Dad brought the two police officers into the kitchen.  Sully and I were sitting next to each other on the stools leaning our elbows on the breakfast bar, drinking out coffee, trying to act like nothing was wrong.

“Hello ladies, I’m officer Tuddles, and this is officer Sparks.  We are here to talk to you about what happened last night.” He took out his note pad to start writing down what we were about to say.

I was trying to pull off calm, but I could feel my arm pits start to perspire, I was hoping it didn’t show on my face. 

“Ok.” We both said at the same time.

“Which one of you owns that Ford pick up?” Office Sparks asked.

“That’s mine, ain’t she a beauty.” Sully answered with a huge smile on her face.

I knew that police can look up license plates, they probably already new that it belonged to Sully.

“Can you tell me where you were last night?” Officer Tuddles asked.

“Sully took me out last night to get my mind of my best friend that died a few days ago.  He drowned out at Lake Bonney.” I said, trying to sound upset.  I was upset, but I wanted to pull the attention off Sully and I and onto Logan’s death.

“I heard about that, we’re real sorry for your loss.” Office Tuddles said.

“Thanks.” I said.

“So where did you go last night?” Officer Tuddles asked.

“Well we stopped at The Pizza Dive and took our pizza to go, and walked down main street to window shop, since most of the shops were closed by that time.” I answered sipping on my coffee again, trying to head off any unneeded questions.

“Is that all that happened last night.” Officer Sparks asked with lingering question in his voice.

I could tell they new more than we had hoped.  Should I just spill the beans or should I try to answer just what they are asking us.

“Oh, it was my birthday yesterday, and I got…..” I started to finish and Saska nipped me on the back of my leg.

“Ouch!” I yelled.

“What happened?” Dad asked.

“Oh I bit my tongue.  I’ll be more careful, but good coffee dad.” I said.

I looked down at Saska and he had his lips pulled back and was showing me his teeth.  What is going on with this dog, did he understand the conversation that was going on? No, he couldn’t that’s impossible.

“So, can either one of you ladies explain to me why your truck was seen by an alley that in now covered in blood?” Officer Sparks asked while tapping his pen on his notepad.

“Would you fella’s like some coffee?” I started to get up.

“No ma’am, we just need you to answer our questions.” Officer Sparks said with annoyance in his voice.

“Jayden dog took off on us and we went looking for him, we found him eating some garbage by a dumpsters.” Sully poked her head around me to answer the officers.

Saska whined at me again, like he needed to pee.

“Excuse me, gentlemen I’m going to let my dog outside real quick.” I said as I got off my stool.

I went to the door and Saska took off around the corner, towards the front of the house.  Where is he going I thought to myself.

“Ma’am we still need to ask you a few questions, it won’t take much longer.” Officer Tuddles said.

“I hope not, because I have to bury my best friend today, and I am still very emotional about it, and would like time to grieve before the funeral.

“I understand, just one more thing.” Officer Sparks said.

I could tell that officers Sparks didn’t believe a work we were saying, but Tuddles felt sorry for us, with the loss of our friend and all.

“We need to take a look at your truck, inside and out, if you don’t mind Ms. Pearson. 

“That would be fine with me, let me go upstairs and fetch my keys.” Sully said with pleasure.

Oh no, the blood, they will see the blood covering the back of the truck and a lot more questions will be asked, I was hoping to avoid talking about this attack.  It would mean that the police would be involved, and I don’t need that right now.

As Sully came back down stair she handed the keys to the Officer Sparks and we followed them outside.

The Officers looked inside the cab of the truck and in the bed, they didn’t find anything.  Where did that tarp go, had Sully gotten up early this morning and moved it.  That tarp was full of blood from Saska.  If those officers found in they would know that we were involved in something.

“So what are you looking for?” I asked like I had no idea.

“There were reports of a shooting in the area that you were in last night, and a few people witnessed your truck at the scene and we got a report from a Vet last night that two girls brought there dog to them with a supposed gun shot, but it turned out to just be a lot of blood.” Officer Tuddles said.

“Well none of us got shot last night, but boy that sounds like a better time than we had.” Sully said as she shut her truck doors and put her hand out to the officer to get her keys back.

“Well thanks for your time, if we have any further questions, we’ll be in touch.” Officer Sparks said.

The police officers left and we all went back in the house.  When we got back in the kitchen the door was waiting by the back door.

“So, ladies, if there is that kind of violence going on in town you need to be careful.” Dad said as he opened the fridge.

“We will dad.” I said as I took a seat on my stool again.

“So would you ladies like me to make you some eggs and bacon?” Dad asked turning towards us.

“Yes Mr. St.Claire that would be groovy.” Sully said.

Sully always called my dad by our last name instead of his first, I’m not sure why.  Maybe she did that so she wouldn’t have to get to close to him.  Sully didn’t seem to have a lot of room in her heart, even though I knew different.

“Hey Dad, could you grab that left over steak in the fridge, I bet Saska is starving, poor thing I’ve been so busy I forgot to feed him.” I said as I grabbed a plate.

Dad handed me the streak and I warmed it up a little and set it down for him, he ate it like it was pudding.

“Slow down, you’re going to choke.” Sully said.

I bend down in a cupboard by the sink and grabbed a plastic dish for a water bowl.  I filled it with Brita water.  He drank it all and went to laid on the rug by the back door.


So are you going to call around about him?” Dad asked as he was dishing up our beakfast. 

“I sure am, I just wanted to get some food in my first, my appetite seems to be back.” I said as I started to squirt ketchup on my eggs.

“So, what time is Logan’s funeral?” Dad asked.

“It’s at 11am; we still have a few hours.  Are you going Dad?” I asked in between shoveling the food in my mouth.

“Of coarse I am, I want to pay my respects to his mother, she’s been like family to us especially after James died.” Dad answered as he was giving me that look that said I just asked a dumb question.

We ate breakfast, but I kept thinking about where that tarp had gone and I didn’t want to risk asking Sully while my Dad was in ear shot.  Breakfast tasted so good, Dad’s eggs are always the perfect over easy, and his bacon is never to greasy and is always the right crispiness.

“Ok Dad, Sully and I are going to go get dressed and then I’ll call around about the Saska.” I said as I started leaving the kitchen.

“Hey Jayden, can you wait just a sec I’d like to talk to you.” Dad said as he started to gather our breakfast dishes.

“Sully, go ahead upstairs, take Saska with you, I’ll meet you in a few minutes.”

I knew this conversation was not going to go very well.

“What’s up Dad was there something else on your mind.” I asked, but I knew exactly what he wanted to know from me.

“So, did you get a chance to read your Mom’s letter yet?” He asked as he was rinsing the plates to put in the dishwasher.

“No not yet , we didn’t get home until late last night and I wanted to be fresh, maybe I might get to it tonight.  Sorry Dad.” I said with sympathy.  I knew how much he wanted to read the letter.

“Oh honey, it’s ok, it’s your letter I just wanted to read it and hear your mother’s voice in my head again.” He looked up and winked at me.

I hated to lie to my dad, I hardly ever do, and this is not one of the times that I wanted to.

“Ok Dad, we’ll I’ll let you know when I do. Dad. I love you.” I went up and hugged him and it felt so good.  My Dad has been so supportive of me, always cheering me on in whatever I decide to do, even if it’s something he’s not found of.

I went upstairs still thinking about the fact that I had just lied to my Dad about something that means so much to him, why can’t I show him the letter, what laws was mom talking about .  She makes it sound like we’re part of some secret society.  I hope that all of these mysterious things become clear in the next few days.

Sully was waiting for me sitting on the bed, petting Saska.  Sully has never seemed to like pets much, but she seemed to like this one.

“So, I went outside looking for that tarp, can you think who might have put it next to the house under your Dad’s boat?”  Sully said while staring at the dog.

“What you think the dog put it there, how would he have known what the police were saying?” I said to Sully as she jumped off the bed to face Saska.

“Saska, go get Jayden’s hair brush.”  Sully said while crossing her arms.

Saska jumped off the bed, went over to Jayden vanity and scooped up her hair brush and brought it to Sully.  Sully took the hair brush and looked t me like “I told you so”.

“So…what you’re saying that he understands English.” I said with contempt.

“This all seems a little too much like Saturday morning cartoons, Sully”.

“Why is this so hard for you to grasp, why would this not be possible.” Sully said while she climbed back on the bed and crossed her legs.

“OK, so say it is real, how is he able to understand us.” I said as I sat down on the bed with defeat.

I pulled my Mom’s letter out from under the bed and I read it aloud to Sully.  Sully just sat there with her mouth open when I finished.

“Well what do you think?” I asked.

“Wow that was like listening to a twilight zone episode.  So, that letter was written almost 12 years ago, how did she know that I was going to come up with the name Saska.” Sully laid back on the bed.

“I don’t know, but I have to find out what all this stuff means.” I said as I looked at the clock on my night stand.

I got up and went to the closet and picked out some clothes for the funeral, I didn’t dress up much so I didn’t have much of a choice, but I grabbed a dark blue dress that was sleeveless and had a pattern of flowers on it, it was my favorite dress more so because the it felt like you weren’t wearing anything, it is so light weight.  My shoes were black heels about an inch tall, I was already a tall girl about 5’ 8” so I tend not wear heels often.

After I got dressed, Sully said goodbye and told me she would call me after the funeral.  I went downstairs and called all the local pounds and shelters to see if anyone reported a dog missing.  No one had, I left my name and number with a description of the dog and left it at that.  I had my doubts that anyone would call, with all the weirdness go around I just felt that this dogs place was next to me.

I was standing in the kitchen just staring out at the back yard when my Dad put his arm around my shoulder.

“Are you ready, sweet pea?” My Dad loved to call me that.

“I’m not ready to say goodbye, but I’m ready to get this over with.” I said as I put my hand over my dads.

My dad drove to the church; it was only a 10 minute drive.  I loved living in this town, green was everywhere you looked, and the colors in the fall and summer where something to awe over.

We arrived about 15 minutes early and we still had to park several blocks away.  Logan was a well liked guy; he was always donating his time to the community.  He would collect food for the food banks, help with maintence at the church that his funeral was being held at, and his favorite was to pop in and be a TA to the local elementary schools, kindergartners were his favorite.

“Was it necessary to bring that dog?” My dad moaned as he got out of the car.

“Yes dad, he’s part of our family now, and his name is Saska.  I don’t think he likes to be called DOG.” I said as I opened the back door to let Saska out.

“I don’t think they allow animals into the church.” Dad said as he waited for me and Saska.

“Well we will just have to sneak him in then.” I giggled.

By the time we walked up to the entrance of the church, most of the people were already seated inside.  The only open benches were in the back, which worked for me since I didn’t want to draw attention.

Dad sat in the isle seat and I sat next to him, with Saska lying on the floor by my feet.

This church is my favorite, Logan and I would come just to sit in the benches and stare up at the stair glass windows that lined the ceiling that seem like they soar up to the heavens.  Logan and I use to talk about how long it must of taken to make the angels in the windows and to install them, it was wondrous to think about. 

The sermon started and it brought my attention back from my warm memories.  I could barely hear what was being said, but I’m sure it was all nice things.

“So, are you going to get up and say anything about him?” A voice whispered to me in my right ear.

I recognized the voice.  I turned to him and he was smiling at me, the guy that saved my life last night.  I finally was able to look at him with every piece of my eye.  He had a stocky build like Logan, but his face was more oval with a softer look throughout his face.  His eyes are almond shaped, but the color, the brown is so chocolaty, they looked like they were swirling every few seconds.  His eye brows looked more manicured than mine, not to thin but like he takes pride in his looks.  I wonder if he plucks them.  His lips are fluffy and wide and when he smiled that made the creases in his face show, I wanted to just stare at him, his look reminded me of Matt Damon.  What was he doing here, how did he know about Logan?

“Umm…No, I don’t do well in front of crowds.” I said as I felt my face start to turn shades of unnatural color.

My Dad had gotten up and went towards the front to speak about Logan.

“I’m sure you are a wonderful speaker, Jayden.” He said

I could smell his cologne and it was driving me crazy, it clouded my mind while I was trying to figure out how he knew my name.  I closed my eyes to take a deep breath just so that I could savor that smell.  It made me want to sit closer to him even though I didn’t know him.

“So what are you doing here, did you know Logan?” I asked with the though of my mothers words ringing in my head “do not trust as easily as you have in the past”.

“Actually Logan and I are Step-brothers” He said as he watched for an expression on my face.

Saska started to growl, softly.

“It’s ok Saska.” I said as I stroked his fur along his neck.  He nuzzled his face into my hand.

“Nice looking dog, how long have you had him?” This strange guy asked me.

“He’s been in the family for years.” I said as I kept my hand on Saska

“Logan never mentioned a brother before.” I asked with a hint of anger.  If this was true I was starting to feel a little betrayed that Logan wouldn’t have told me about him.

“Logan didn’t know about me until just recently.  I apologize, I haven’t introduced myself, I am Blake Hamilton.” He said as he reached his hand out for me to shake.

“So you too have what…different mothers.” I said as I ignored his hand.

“Yes, same fathers but different mothers.  My mother didn’t want to be a burden so she kept me a secret.”  He said as he turned towards me.

“So how long has this dog been in the family?” He said as he reached to pet Saska.

Saska snapped at him.

“Let’s not talk about this right now, I really need to listen to what is going on, Logan was my best friend and I owe him my respect right now, plus my Dad’s getting ready to speak.” I bent down and put my face next to Saska’s.

“Hey boy, be nice, no causing trouble right now.  We are in church; I don’t think they would appreciate you as much as I do.” I said while I laughed quietly.

I could barely hear my dad, he started talking about when we first me Logan and how he was always at our house.

It was really hard to hear the rest but my mind started to wonder to when my mother died.  I was such a little girl, only seven, and not ready to be hit with such a tragic experience.  My mother and I were very close, and her death was very hard on me.  When I would get scared at night I would crawl into bed with my mom and dad knowing hat I would immediately feel at ease and that whatever was bothering me was gone.

My mom was always involved at school, it helped that she didn’t have to work.  She would come to class several times a week and help the teacher with special projects that were going on like carnivals for fund raisers, baking sales, and she loved to just come help the teacher with math.  She was always a favorite with my classmates, especially the boys.  My mom was a very beautiful woman, she had long red hair, her hair always reminded me of a sunset.  I guess I have the same hair as my mom, I remember she use to love to brush my hair and she would style our hair the same.  She called us twins; I loved that, since I didn’t have any siblings.  With my Mom not working she was cooking and doing projects around the house.  On Saturdays I would help her make her coffee and we would go outside and paint; she called me her little Picasso.

Being at this funeral was bringing up memories that I hadn’t thought about in a long time, like my mothers death.

I was seven when she died, I was in second grade, and I remember that day very well.  My Mom was supposed to show up to help our class out with a play that we were planning.  She was going to show up before lunch, I loved it when my Mom ate lunch with me.  Lunch came and went and she still hadn’t shown up yet, I started to wonder where she was and I got worried.  My worries got worse when I saw my Dad show up and I knew that something was definitely wrong.  I was very young but I knew when I saw my Dad whisper in my teacher’s ear and she gasped and put her hands over her face and started to cry.  My walked past the front tables and stopped at my desk and bent down and got real close to my face.

“Honey, let’s get your things together, ok” He said as he put his hand over mine.

“Where’s Mom, she was suppose to be here today.” I said as I started to get up.

“It’s ok honey, let’s get your coat.” He walked over to the wall where we all had put our coats and bags.

We collected our stuff, and I remember looking back at my teacher, she was wiping her face off with a tissue.  She gave me a look, and at the time I didn’t know what it meant, but looking back she was giving me the look of sympathy, telling me with her face how sorry she was for me.

Dad didn’t say anything to me while we drove home, and I was still not sure what was going on.  We pulled up at home, and that’s when I finally asked again.

“Daddy, where’s Mom.  Why are we home?”  I asked as I got out of the car.

“Let’s go inside and then we can talk.” He said.

Dad brought me into the house and sat me down on the living room sofa.  He proceeded to tell me that mommy had died and wouldn’t be coming home.  It’s hard at that age to understand death, but the not coming home part, wasn’t comprehendible.  I remember crying so hard and for so long that had to make a call to our family doctor, who came to make a special house call.  Dad had carried me to my room and put me into my pajamas.  I couldn’t stop crying so the doctor had to give me something to help keep me calm.  Dad to this day has never told me what happened; just that there had been an accident and she had died.  How she died had never been important to me, just that she was dead and never coming home.  I wanted to see my mom again and sit in her lap while she ran her fingers through my hair, to run into her room when I had a bad dream, and to come home to the smell of home made cookies.  I would never get to do any of those things again, at least with my mom anyway.

I started to get teary eyed and realized that Blake was still sitting there.

He leaned over to me and said “What are you thinking about that has you looking so serious?”

“My mom’s death” I said as I wiped a tear from my face.

“I’m sorry to hear that your mother passed, how old were you?” He said.

“I don’t want to talk about it right now, I have to go, please excuse me.” I said as I started to get up.

Blake grabbed my hand.  Saska started to growl and his lips pulled back to show his teeth.

“Blake I wouldn’t grab me like that, my dog has a thing about people touching me.” I said as I yanked my arm away.

“I apologize, I just wanted to tell you that if you ever need anything, anything at all, even if it’s just to talk, I’ll be staying at Logan’s house to help out his mom..

“I will- thank you.” I said to him as he walked away.

“Well Saska, that was weird, Logan having a brother, I guess he resembles Logan in his build, but that’s really about it.  I wonder if he’s got any of Logan’s personality.” I said as Saska and I started to leave the church.  I’m already use to Saska being with me that I’m starting to talk to him, like Logan and I use to.

Why did I lie about Saska and how long he has been in our family, the lie just slipped right out.  I felt like I needed to protect him, or was he the one protecting me.

I had to walk home because Dad and driven and I didn’t want to stay until the end and have to talk to people about Logan’s death.  I will go to Logan’s house later and pay my respects to Alvina, just not now.  When we got home I realized that I didn’t have any dog food, I will have to make a trip to the store soon.  I found some left overs in the fridge for Saska and I made myself a salad and some lemonade.  My Dad wasn’t home from the funeral yet, but I was glad because I didn’t want him to bring up Moms letter again.

Saska finished his food and went outside with me for a few minutes.  I went over to the tree swing that my Dad made for me when I was young and I sat down.  I started to swing and thing about Logan and Blake and how they were brothers.  Saska came over to me and lay beside the swing.

The wind was lightly blowing outside and the clouds were stating to roll in, it wasn’t dark outside but definitely gray.  A gust of wind kicked up in my face and that smell was there again.  I know that smell, where do I know that smell from.  It felt like I was kicked in the chest, the memories were rolling through my mind like it was really happening.  It was the day of my mother’s funeral and I was swinging outside thinking about my mother overwhelmed with grief when a dog jumped through the hedges that lined our back yard.  The dog knocked me off my swing and I hit the ground.

That’s it, the dog.  I left the swing and went in the house and upstairs to my room and pulled out my photo album from the closet and started flipping through the pages and I found it.  A picture of Saska with me the back yard when I was seven, or at least it looked like Saska.  Saska was sitting next to me when this realization hit me, and he put a paw on my arm.

“So are you the same dog from when my mom died, I was wondering where I knew your smell from.  So…..how is that possible, where have you been for the last 11 years?” I said as I petted him.

The dog just stared at me, but I couldn’t shake this feeling I was having.

When I was seven this dog just shows p and hangs around for about six months then just disappears one day.  My Dad and I thought that maybe he ran away or that his family finally found him.  We had checked with the shelters, but he was never picked up by anyone. 

As I was thinking about all this stuff Dad and gotten home and managed to come upstairs without me noticing.

“Hey, what are you in deep thought about?” May dad asked as he was leaning in the door way.

“Look at this picture of when I was seven, I think you took it.” I said as I turned the album around to face him.

Dad walked over to my bed and sat next to me and looked at it.

“Yeah, what about it.” He asked.

“The dog, look at the dog!” I said all excited.

“I remember that dog, he came right after your….yeah I remember him, I wonder whatever happened to that dog, I liked him.” My dad said as he turned the photo album back to me.

“No dad, look at Saska, now tell me this isn’t the same dog from when I was seven.” I said with determination.

“Oh honey that can’t be the same dog, I will admit they do look similar, but the dog in the picture is different.” He said as he stood up.

“Dad, it’s the same dog.” I said as I closed the album.

“No honey it’s not, but they do resemble each other, that is odd.” He said as he started to leave my room.

“Hey by the way, thanks for sticking around after the service. I had to make excuses as to where you went.” He said with a frown on his face.

“Sorry Dad, but I didn’t really feel like talking to anybody.”

“I understand, but next time at least let me know ahead of time.” He said as he walked out of my room.

My Dad is pretty easy going as long as I’m honest with him, especially since my Mom died. 

I was so exhausted from the last few days, I just wanted to sleep for awhile, I laid down on my bed thinking about Blake.  He seems so mysterious and a little handsome I guess, how would Logan have taken this news about a brother, or did he know already.  I hate having all these questions unanswered.  I drifted off to sleep without even realizing it. 

I only was asleep about an hour when my phone rang.

“Hello” I said all groggy.

“Hey kido, what’s shaken?”

“Hi Sully, sorry I was sleeping.” I said as I started to sit up.

“So how was the…..well how was it” Sully asked.

“It was fine, I didn’t stay long, I just couldn’t take thinking about him anymore.  Hey, that guy was there.” I said.

“What guy?” Sully asked with curiosity.

“That guy that helped me last night.” I said as I realized that Saska was gone.

“Really, so what was he doing there? That’s bizzaro.” Sully said.

“Yeah, it was really weird, he’s Logan’s brother.” I said, waiting for Sully to freak out.

Silence.

“Sully” I asked. I couldn’t tell if we got disconnected.

“Yeah I’m hear, I’m just tripping out.” Sully said as she took another deep breath.

I explained to Sully what transpired between Blake and I and the discovery that I made with the picture from my album.

“Jayden, I don’t know what’s happening, but this is getting really creepy.  Do you think your Dad would mind if I stayed the night again.  My Aunt’s out of town for a few days and I hate being…..well I don’t want you to have to be alone right now.” Sully asked.

“Of coarse, my Dad never minds when you stay the night.  Are you leaving right now, because I had a thought.  I want to go up to the attic and look through some more albums that mom has in a trunk, so just come up to the attic when you get here.” I said as I started to think about my mom again.

I hated going up to the attic, it always made my arm hair stand on end.  I always felt like I had a spider or two in my hair when I left.  Our attic door was down the hall next to my parent’s room.  My mom kept the attic locked when I was a kid, I hope the key is still on the ledge of the door frame.

The key is still there, awesome.  Before I opened the door I saw something out of the corner of my eye and I screamed.

It was just Saska coming up the stairs. 

“You scared me….so where have you been?” I asked him as he trotted up to me and rubbed his body on my legs.

“You sure are a lover aren’t you.” I said to him as I brushed his hair.

“So, are you going to accompany me to the attic, are you brave enough, because I might not be.” I said.

I unlocked the door and Saska pushed by the door before I even had it open.

“Ok, well I guess old attics don’t scare you.  At least one of us is brave.”

My mother was one of the most organized people I have ever met, sometimes I wonder if she was a little obsessive sometimes.

My mom didn’t allow me up in the attic unless I was with her, and I hadn’t been in the attic since she died.  When I got to the top of the stair I found a light switch on the side wall. 

It was just how I remembered it was, so many odd things up here.  I wonder why my mom would keep all this stuff.  On the right side of the attic was an old antique metal bed frame, some old pictures and lots and lots of boxes.  Somewhere in those boxes are all my baby clothes.  When I would come up here with her, she would go through that box to show me how little I once was.  She was always sentimental with all the things in this attic.  I wish that I could sit with her now and go through all this stuff so that I knew what it meant to her.

Saska had already scouted the attic out and was back at my side, it was like I had a trained guard dog.

I found the wooden chest that I was looking for with a just a few moves of some old quilts, and lots of dust and cobwebs, that were stacked on top.  I loved this wooden chest, the smell reminded me of Christmas.  It was a large wooden chest with carvings on the sides and top.  I wasn’t sure what the carvings were but they reminded me of old celtic drawings.   The chest was locked, hummm this might be challenging.

“Jayden, are you up here.” Sully called from the bottom of the stairs.

“Yeah I’m in the back on the right.” I yelled.

“So, what are we doing up here, it’s a little dirty and smelly up here.” Sully grabbed at her own arms like she had a chill.

“I want to look in this chest, it was always my moms most treasured item and I was never allowed to see what was in it.  But it’s locked.” I said as I sat on my knees in front of the chest.

“Locked, nothings locked.  I have to go out to the truck, I’ll be right back.” Sully said as she ran down the stairs.

Sully returned with a black leather case.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“This is my nifty friend, but don’t ever tell anyone that I have this, I could get in real trouble.” Sully said as she unzipped it.

“I have here a way to into your chest, move over.” Sully said as she pulled out a few long pieces of thin metal.

“Are those lock picks?” I asked.

“Yes they are.  I dated a guy in New York that taught me locksmithing and this was one of my birthday presents.  It’s come in handy a few times.” Sully smiled.

“Sully!” I exclaimed.  “You haven’t done anything illegal have you?” I said as I shook my head.

“No, it’s just helped me out in a jam.” She said.

Within a few minutes she had that trunk unlocked.

“So, your dad’s not going to come up here and bust us is he?” Sully asked moved over so I could sit in front of the trunk.

“No, I think he’s out in the garage working on his project.” I said.

“Is he working on that 68 camero super sport?” Sully asked with a gleam in her eye.

“Yeah I think that’s the car, how did know what kind of car it was?” I asked.

“I love old cars, hello……look at my truck” She said as she sighed.

I opened the trunk with such softness; I could feel Sully eagerness to see inside.  I felt almost guilty going threw it, but since my mom wasn’t around anymore you would think that this was now mine, plus with her cryptic message in her letter I’m hoping that we might find something in here to help us.

The first thing on top was my moms wedding dress.  It was a simple white silk gown with sheer sleeves.  I loved this dress, it’s the kind of wedding dress you wouldn’t mind wearing to your own wedding, it won’t ever go out of style.

I set that aside and starting sorting through the items in the chest.

Sully had found an old album.

“Hey, lets look through this first, this looks really ancient.” She said as she sat next to me.

“So who are these people, this pictures look really old.” She said as she opened to the first page.

“I think those are my great grand parents, but I’m not sure, like I said, my mom didn’t allow me to go through this stuff with her.” I said as I stared at the pictures.

“You never talk about your grand parents, are they still alive?” She asked.

“I really don’t know if they are still alive, my mom never talked about them, and over the years I’ve dad about them and he told me that his mom and dad died before I was born and he doesn’t know anything about Mom’s mom and dad.  He said that she wouldn’t talk about them, and he never bothered her about it, he figured if she wanted to talk about them she would.

“Jayden, this younger girl is a knockout, I wonder who she is?” Sully said as she pointed to a picture of a young girl in a beautiful gown.  The picture was taken in a formal living room, but the picture didn’t look that old, even though it was in black and white. 

“I don’t believe it!” I said as my mouth dropped open.

“What is it” Sully asked.

“Look behind the girl above the fireplace, look at the girl in the painting.  Do you see it?” I asked.

“See what, I see a painting of a girl, what am I looking for.?” Sully asked.

“Look at the necklace; it’s the same one that you gave me.” I said to Jayden as I reached up and grabbed the pendant in my hand and rubbed it. 

“Jayden…that’s the same necklace you  are wearing. Do you know what this means Jayden.” Sully said as she sat back on her knees.

“That means that this necklace has been in my family for many years and that your family has a tie in somewhere.” I said as I just stared at the picture.

“Jayden, look the girl in the picture not the painting, she wearing the ring your mom gave you.” Sully pointed to the ring.

“We need to find some answers to our questions, but I don’t know where to start.” I said as I closed the album.

“Jayden are you up here?” My dad hollered.

“Yeah Dad, Sully and I are both up here.” I called back.

Saska made a quick bark.

“Oh yeah and Saska too.” I said as I smiled and reached for his face.

“Sorry Saska” I said.

Dad came up in the attic.

“So what are you ladies up to?” Dad asked.

“Well I thought I would go through Mom’s old chest and see if I could find anything interesting.” I said as I lifted the album up.

“I haven’t seen this stuff for a long time, your mother showed me some of those photos a long time ago, but she was pretty closed mouth about her family. I don’t think she got along well with her parents.” Dad said as she started to look around the attic.

“Dad….can you tell me anything about Mom’s parents, I think I would like to find them if they are still alive.” I said.

“I don’t know much, your mother’s maiden name is Karshawn.  I think her moms name is Babe, and I’m not sure about her Dad.  You might keep looking in that trunk to see if you find something.  Not to change the subject on you, but I have a surprise for you, will you come downstairs when your done.” He said as he started to leave.

“Sure Dad” I said as I looked at Sully.

“Sully let’s keep looking maybe there is other things in here that might help us.” I said.

We dug around in the trunk and found a few letters with no return address.  They were never opened, so I opened one.

“Sully, I think these are letters from my grandmother to my Mom.  I don’t want to get into reading them right now; I still want to go to Logan’s house to pay my respects to Grace.” I said as I took the letters and the Album.

“Hey, it looks like there’s a journal here too.” Sully said as she opened it.

“This looks like it’s in another language, does this look familiar to you?” Sully asked me.

“No, it looks foreign that’s for sure, let’s take that too.” I said.

We took the items and put them in my room.

“Well let’s go see what Dad has for me, it must be my birthday present.  My birthday went by and wasn’t celebrated, which was probably hard on my Dad.  He loves to go all out and embarrass me as much as he can.

Dad was waiting for us in the living room.

“Ok Dad, so what’s the surprise?” I asked as I sat down on the sofa.

Dad reached into his pocket and pulled out some keys, and tossed that at me.

“What’s this?” I asked.

“OOOHH MY God!” Sully said.

I gave Sully a funny look.

“Well that’s your graduation and birthday present.” Dad said as he sat down across from me in the chair.

“Keys are my present……..(laughing) that’s good dad!!” I said.

“Real funny Jayden, those keys go to your ride in the garage.” He said as he smiled from ear to ear.

“Your giving me your 68 Camero Dad….but you love that car, I thought you were fixing that up for yourself.” I said with aw

“Jayden, I wanted to make something for you, and I put a lot of work into that car with my own hands, I bought from a junk yard, but it’s all restored now with a new paint job.  I thought you would really enjoy it.” He said.

“Dad that is really nice, can I go look at it.” I asked.

“Sure, I’ll take you out there, that way I can she you all the stuff.” Dad said.

Dad was so excited, it was like it was Christmas, which was one of his favorite holidays, he loved to do things for me, it made him real happy.

Dad took us out to the garage and there sat a black camero with red racing stripes that ran from the front hood to the trunk.

“Jayden I am so jealous, this is so rockin.” Sully said.

“Sully, you have enough money in your trust fund to buy yourself one fully loaded.” I said as I gave her a evil eye.

“Yeah, but what’s the fun in that, taking one that was junked and restoring it, is like the ultimate challenge.  Most people don’t finish in there life time.  Mr. St.Claire, you must have worked for many hours on this.” Sully said as she took her hand and stroked the car from one end to the other.

“Dad, this is so….thank you so much Dad, I don’t know what to say.” I said as I went over and hugged him.

“I know that you loved to walk everywhere and you only drive my car when you have to, but you need your own transportation especially since your going to college in Seattle, I want you to be able to come home whenever you want and not have to worry about the buses.”

“Dad, I need to talk to you about that.” I said as I thought about what I was going to say.  I hadn’t thought about college since the morning of Logan’s death. 

“Jayden……now I don’t know what you are going to say, but you need to go to college, if there’s one thing that was really important to your mother and I, it was education.  I know that you will always have enough money, but I want you to learn everything you can, and experience new things.  Please don’t tell me you’re not going.” He said as he pulled me away from him to look in my eyes.

“I am going, but I wanted to ask you if you’d be ok with me taking this year off.  I honestly haven’t thought about school since Logan died and I really don’t think it would be a very good idea if I went right now.  I wouldn’t be able to concentrate the way that I should.  I need to morn the loss of my friend and be able to go to school ready to focus.  Please think about it, I will honor whatever you decide, but I would really like this year off.  I promise that I will go, I want to go, but not right now.” I said as I held my Dad’s hand.

“You know, when your mother died, I took a year off from teaching.  Her death about killed me, so I understand what you are saying.  But you have to give me your word that you will go next year! I’ll call the University of Washington tomorrow and let them know that I need a refund for this year, but you have to reapply for next year.  OK.” Dad said as he placed his hands on my shoulders.

“Yes, I will reapply and go next year.  Thank you Dad, you have no idea how much pressure that takes off my shoulders.” I said as I looked at Sully and winked at her.

“By the way, Mona called while you girls were in the attic, are you going to see her today?” Dad asked.

“Yes, we will go right now, thank Dad.  Oh yeah, Sully wants to stay tonight is that alright.” I asked.

“Yes, of coarse it is.  Sully you can stay anytime you want, your practically family.”

“Thanks Mr. St.Claire.” Sully said.

“Ok girls, will you be home for dinner? I want thinking about making Taco’s.” Dad said.

“Do you honestly think I can turn down your tacos Dad, you’re the best taco maker this side of the Mississippi.” I said.

Dad walked back into the house and left Sully and I alone with the car.  I opened the driver’s door and pulled the seat back so Saska could jump in the back. 

“Go on, Saska, get in the back.” I commanded.

He just sat there.  I let go of the seat, and he jumped in the front seat.

“Hey Saska, now don’t push your luck with me, I don’t really care for furry creatures, but I like you, but….you can’t have the front seat that’s for humans first.” Sully said as she opened the passenger door. 

Saska growled at her. 

I laughed.  “Well it looks like you two are going to have to share the front seat.  I’m not getting involved in your domestic problems.” I said as I sat down. 

This car was so clean.  The interior was black with red accessories.  The seats wear black leather with read stripes like on the outside.  I love the gear shifter, it was an eight ball.

“Your dad did a great job Jayden, I can’t wait to take it out.”  Sully said as she rubbed the dash board.

“Hey I need to change me clothes, let’s go back in the house and then well go to Mona.” I said as I got out of the drivers seat.

 

 

 



© 2009 Rusty


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

rusty, this story has a lot of potential. I'm curious to find out what's up with the mysterious dog, and how logan's apparent brother will fit into jayden's life. you set up quite a few plot threads in the first chapter, so many that I'm wondering if you might want to consider breaking it up into two? maybe have the first chapter focus primarily on logan's death and its immediate aftermath. also, the scene where jayden talks with logan's mother for the first time after logan's death seems to lack emotional impact. I wouldn't necessarily change this scene, but maybe make it a second or third conversation between them, and have it take place a few days after the previous scene? not a bad start, though, and I'm looking forward to more.
p.s. your kids are adorable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

rusty, this story has a lot of potential. I'm curious to find out what's up with the mysterious dog, and how logan's apparent brother will fit into jayden's life. you set up quite a few plot threads in the first chapter, so many that I'm wondering if you might want to consider breaking it up into two? maybe have the first chapter focus primarily on logan's death and its immediate aftermath. also, the scene where jayden talks with logan's mother for the first time after logan's death seems to lack emotional impact. I wouldn't necessarily change this scene, but maybe make it a second or third conversation between them, and have it take place a few days after the previous scene? not a bad start, though, and I'm looking forward to more.
p.s. your kids are adorable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 6, 2009


Author

Rusty
Rusty

Seattle, WA



About
Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally have found a place where I can get honest feedback. I started writing about two years ago, and I've almost finished my first book. I'm a wife and mother of two gi.. more..

Writing
No title yet No title yet

A Book by Rusty


My Friend My Friend

A Chapter by Rusty


Questions Questions

A Chapter by Rusty