The Trip

The Trip

A Chapter by Rusty

 

Chapter 4
The Trip
 
I changed into some tan corduroy pants and a pink tee shirt with a zip up hoody and my hiking boots.
“Wow you are such a fashion queen, aren’t you.” Sully chuckled.
“Hey, I like being comfortable, and I like to make my own holes in my pants instead of buying them already holy. Thank you very much.” I said as I grabbed my messenger bag and put the items in them that we found in the chest today. We were just about to leave my room.
“Oh, wait.” I said as I ran back over to my bed and fetched my letter from under my mattress.
“I want to put this with all the other stuff.” I said.
We went downstairs and said goodbye to Dad and went out to the car.
“So, how about I drive.” Sully said.
“No thanks, I would like to get there in one piece if it’s all the same to you.” I said as I opened the driver’s door.
“Great, it’s going to take us a week to get to the other side of town.” Sully said as she opened her door.
Saska jumped in the front.
“Ok, look here mutt, I will not share this seat with you, your too big, now if you don’t want to see where your heaven is you’ll jump in the back before I get mad.” Sully said as she put her hands on her hips.
Saska let out a howl and jumped in the back.
“Well at least your dog knows who’s boss.” Sully said as she shut the door.
“I wouldn’t test his tolerance, Sully, his teeth are bigger than yours.” I said as I started the car.
“It looks like your Dad installed a nice system, do you mind if we listen to some mental.” Sully said as she was already turning the station.
“I don’t mind; just don’t blow the windows out before I get a chance to drive it.” I said as I pulled out of the garage.
We test drove the camero while listening to Three Days Grace, it’s not my favorite but I do enjoy a few of the songs. 
Elvina’s house isn’t very far away so it only took us a few minutes, which means I didn’t get a chance to really take my car for a test drive. Well I’m sure I’ll have my chance soon.
I wasn’t looking forward to going to Logan’s house, it is going to bring up too many feelings that I have been doing well at pushing away.
“Jayden, let’s not stay to long, I hate being around emotional people. I’m not trying to be harsh, but I just can’t deal with too much drama.” Sully said.
“Ok, I understand, there will probably be quite a few people there anyway, so if we say hello and sneak out, Elvina won’t notice.” I said as I pulled up in front of Logan’s house.
Logan’s house is an older home with a lot of style. It’s white with two pillars on either side of the front door. Logan always loved to keep the lawn mowed and manicure the garden. Last summer we planted some tulips and lilacs by the front door. They bloomed so beautiful this year. I couldn’t stop staring at the flowers, until Sully grabbed my arm.
“Jayden, snap out of it, what’s your deal?” She said.
“I’m ok, let’s go.” I opened the door and Saska jumped over the seat and out on my side.
Saska was at the door before I was, which really made me start to wonder where this dog came from.
Sully rang the bell, but I wasn’t ready yet. I hadn’t seen Logan’s mom since the day after Logan’s drowning.
Grace answered the door. “Hi Jayden honey, how are you?” She asked and put her arms out to give me a hug.
“I’m ok, how are you?” I asked.
“I’m getting by, it’s been hard, but I’ve had a full house since that day so it’s kept my mind off of Logan.”
“Grace I’m very sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine how hard it’s been.” I said as I followed her into the house.
“He will be missed around here, I loved him very much.” Grace said.
There were lots of people in the house, most of the people were dressed in black and had brought food. 
“Sully, I want to thank you for being there for Jayden, I know how close you three were.” Grace said as she offered us a drink.
“Grace, I wanted to talk to you about something, I hope that it’s not a bad time.” I said as I sat down on the stairs in the hall.
“No dear, you ask me whatever you like.” She said.
“At the funeral today, a guy named Blake Hamilton showed up and was talking to me…well he said that he was Logan’s brother.” I said as I was shocked that Grace didn’t show any reaction at all.
“Yes, Blake is Logan’s brother, or I should say was Logan’s brother.” Grace said as she turned to say bye to someone that was leaving.
“Are you girls hungry, there is so much food, please help yourselves. I have to go fill some of the trays, if you’ll excuse me.” She said.
“Wait, Grace I wanted……” I tried to finish my sentence but she was already gone.
“Ok, well that went well, so what do you want to do now.” Sully asked me.
Saska ran past me up the stairs and I turned on instinct and followed him, he went into Logan’s room.
Saska went and leaped onto Logan’s bed and laid down.
“Well I guess you feel comfortable here don’t ya boy.” I said as I went and sat next to him.
Being in Logan’s room was making it hard for me to breath. The room smelled of him so much that I couldn’t help but close my eyes and take a deep breath. I laid down on his bed and started thinking about him.
“I think your laying on my coat.” A boys voice said.
“Uhh what.” I said. I sat up and standing in front of me was Blake.
“My coat, your laying on my coat.” He said as he pointed to the bed.
“Oh, I’m sorry.” I said as I stood up and handed him his coat.
“So I think we got off on the wrong foot. I want to be friends and I think my news of being Logan’s brother threw you for a loop.” He said as he put on his coat.
“It’s not your fault, you don’t have any control who your family is.  There’s just been a lot strange things thrown at me over the that few days and it’s starting to wear on my nerves.” I said as I asked Saska to get off the bed.
He just laid there.
“Saska, get off the bed, please.” I asked. He jumped down.
“So that dogs seems to be with you all the time.” He asked.
“Yeah he is, so what.” I said as I started to look around Logan’s room.
“I was just making an observation.” He said.
“So who didn’t invite me to the party.” Sully asked as she stood in the bedroom door way.
“Hi Sully, you remember Blake from last night.” I said.
“Sure do, it was a good thing that you followed Jayden or we might be going to two funerals today.” Sully said.
“About last night, do you know those two guys, what was that all about?” Blake asked.
“I have no idea what that was about, I think they were just bad guys, but I’m really lucky that you showed up, or I would be dead. I can’t thank you enough for saving me.” I said as I picked up a picture on Logan’s desk of him and I during a picnic. 
“So, how is your dog ok, I thought that he had was shot, he doesn’t look like he’s hurt.” Blake asked.
“It just grazed him, he was lucky for a mutt.” Sully said.
Saska growled real soft.
“I don’t think he likes you calling him a mutt Sully. I said as I went over and sat next to Saska and petted him.
“So Grace tells me that you are going off to college in a few weeks.” Blake said.
“Well I’ve decided to take a year off, I have some things that I have to take care of before I can focus on school.” I said.
Sully looked at me and mouthed something, I couldn’t tell what it was.
“Well, if you’ll excuse me, I haven’t eaten yet..” he said as he left the room.
I waited until he was almost down the stairs.
“What were you trying to tell me.” I asked.
“Why are you not being honest with him, he seems like a really nice guy and he might be able to help.” Sully said.
“My mother told me not to trust people as easy, and him throwing it out there that he’s Logan’s half brother just doesn’t sit right with me.” I said.
“Hey Jayden, you need to let that go, no one can control who their family is and it’s not Blake’s fault.” She said as she went over and started opening one of the dresser drawers.
“Sully, what are you going, get out of there….that’s Logan’s personal space.” I said as I hurried over and started to shut the drawer.
“It’s not likes it’s a big deal, he’s dead Jayden.” Sully said as she walked over and sat on the bed.
“Sully….do you have to talk like that.” Jayden asked.
“Oh…so sorry…he’s passed away onto peaceful plains. Is that better.” Sully said as she crossed her arms.
“I feel weird enough being in his room, I don’t want to go through his things, what if he’s watching.” Jayden said.
“You mean like in ghosts.” Sully laughed. “Your not serious are you Jayden.” Sully asked.
“With what’s been happening already, I wouldn’t be surprised.” Jayden said as she was almost done closing the drawer when something caught her eye. I opened the drawer back up and pushed the close aside and saw an envelope with her name on it.
“Jayden, I thought you said I couldn’t look through his drawers, what would you call what you are doing.” Sully asked.
“Sully, this envelope has my name on it.” I said as I pulled it out from under the clothes.
“Gnarly, another letter from the dead.” Sully said as she came and stood by me.
“He didn’t right it from the dead, he must have written it before he died.” I said.
“So, are you going to open it?” Sully asked.
“Open what.” Grace asked.
Grace had come into the room with out noticing, she must have floated in, because the hardwoods in this house creak before you even think about stepping on them.
As I turned around I kept my hand behind my back so that she couldn’t see the envelope.
“Oh, well…..Sully and I were just talking about Logan’s drawers. I was explaining that we shouldn’t be going through his things.” I said.
“Grace, I wanted to talk to you about something. I know you are really busy with a house full of guests, but it’s important.” I said.
“Sure Jayden, I’m sorry, I’ve been ignoring you haven’t I…..Please have a seat and we’ll talk.” She said as she motioned for me to sit on Logan’s bed.
Grace sat next to the dog and I sat on the other side of him. Sully remained standing leaning on the dresser.
“So, what would you like to talk to me about, I’m all ears.” Grace said as she stroked Saska.
“You and my mother were friends right?” I asked.
“Yes we were friends….what would you like to know.” She asked.
“Well I was wondering if she ever talked about her parents with you.” I asked.
“Hum, why do you want to know about your grandparents….now. Has something happened that would want you to find them?” She asked.
“Find them… so her grandparents are still alive!” Sully jumped in and said.
“Well…..yes they are still alive. I’m not sure that your mother wanted you to know them, or she would have brought you into their world.” Grace said.
“Do you know where they are at….I really need to find them.” I asked.
“Jayden, I would stay away from your grandparents….it’s something your mother would want you to do. Like you said, we were friends.” She said.
“Well my mother isn’t alive anymore, and I want to find them….so are you going to help me or not.” I asked with anger in my voice and if my eyes could kill they would.
“Ok, ok….no need to get angry…calm down…they live by the ocean somewhere…I think it’s called Ocean Park, it’s a small town outside of Long Beach. Your grandmothers last name is Karshawn, I’m sure that you could find them by looking them up…or asking anyone in town once you get there, I’m sure that everyone knows who they are.” She said.
I just sat there, I wasn’t sure what to say.
“Jayden!” Sully said.
“Oh, right……so do you know why they stopped speaking to each other?” I asked. 
“I’m not really sure dear, I just know that your Mother didn’t want anything to do with her parents and I supported her decision. It wasn’t any of my business why they parted ways.” She said.
I looked down at Saska and he looked so comfortable, just laying there while Grace continued to pick and pull at his soft fur. 
“Thanks Grace, I know this isn’t the best time to talk, it means a lot to me.” I said as I watched her pet Saska.
“Well girls, I have to get back to my guests, I hope that you find the answers that you’re searching for. Let me know if I can be of any other help.” Grace said as she bent down and kissed Saska on his head and then left the room.
“Well now we have what we need, what do you want to do know.?” Sully asked as she came and sat next to me on the bed.
“Well I want to go talk to my grandparents, I wonder why they never came to try and find me after mom died. I know I’m sounded completely paranoid but did you see they way that Grace was with Saska?” I asked.
“Yeah that was weird, and she kissed the dog. She acted like she knew the dog, and it didn’t even bother her that there was a strange dog in her house. She’s not telling us something.” Sully said.
“I agree, she is hiding something, but now is not a good time to confront her.” I said as I got up off the bed. 
“Are you going to open that envelope?” Sully asked.
“Not right now, I want to get out of here.” Jayden said.
We left Logan’s bedroom and made our way downstairs to the front door. Blake happened to be by the front door.
“Are you ladies leaving so soon” Blake asked.
“Yes, we need to get ready for a trip. I hope that all goes well with you Blake, and I’m sorry that you had to loose your brother when you didn’t get a chance to know him. He was a wonderful person and you would of loved to know him.” I said as I opened the front door.
“I’m sure your right Jayden, but I’m glad that I get the chance to meet you at least.” He said as he held the door for me and Sully.
Sully and I walked out the door with Saska following. I felt bad for blowing him off, but all of these things were really starting to make me paranoid and not want to trust anyone. 
We were almost to my car when Sully grabbed me hard by my arm and stopped me.
“Don’t move Jayden” Sully said as she started to move closer to me.
There were three large dogs moving towards us with their teeth bared and deep growls coming from them that would scare the toughest guy. They looked more like Saska, like wolves. The front one was dark gray and the two that flanked either side of him were gray and white mix. 
Saska jumped out in front of us and got into the defense position. His hackles were tall and spiky….clearly up. His growl was just as fierce, it made me feel better that we had one of those on our side.
“Sully, what do we do, Saska can’t protect us from all of them.” I said as I couldn’t think straight, the fear was so strong I just froze, not sure what to do.
The car was about 15 feet away, but it was behind where the dogs were gathered. I didn’t think we could make it.
“I don’t know, but I’m not getting bit by a dog….that would really suck.” Sully said as she held my arm tighter.
The three dogs were lined up in a triangle, and it looked like the front dog was getting ready to pounce.
“Saska, you back up with us, I don’t want you getting hurt. Come here.” I said.
It didn’t do any good, he just moved closer to the three dogs. Within a second the closest dog took a leap that I would of sworn was not in the boundaries of dog and landed on Saska. They rolled around on the ground for what felt like an eternity, but then it just stopped and all three dogs ran away.
“Are you guys ok” Blake asked as he came running up behind us.
“We’re ok, that was really freaky.” I said still holding onto Sully.
“Ok scardey cat you can let me go, your holding on so tight I think I’ve lost feeling in my arm.” Sully said as she pulled free of my grasp.
“Why did they just leave like that?” I asked.
“I must have scared them off, as soon as I opened the door and started running towards you they just took off.” Blake said.
Saska came walking up to me, he looked ok, but it could have been a lot worse.
“Are you ok Saska, let me look at you.” I said as I checked him out.
“It looks like you have a little scratch or two, but your ok….thank you so much, you are the best dog anyone could have. So like are you my guardian angel or what?” I asked him as I pulled him real close to give him a hug.
“You seem to have the worst luck lately Jayden” Blake said.
“I guess lately I do…….thank you for coming out. I wasn’t sure what Sully and I were going to do..Saska couldn’t have taken all three of them.” I said.
“Jayden are you sure it’s a good idea that we go so far away from home right now, all of these weird things is really starting to freak me out.” Sully said.
“If you don’t mind me asking, where are you guys going?” Blake asked.
“It really isn’t any of your business.” I said.
“Ok, I just thought I could help you if you needed it, but if that’s the way you want to be I’ll just leave.” Blake said as he turned to go back into the house.
“Jayden” Sully whispered.
“Blake…wait….I’m sorry, I’ve been on edge lately, I didn’t mean it like that.” I said.
Blake turned around and I ran up to him.
“I found out where my grandparents live and I was going to go find them, I’ve never seen them before.” I said as I put my hand on his arm.
“That’s exciting, where do they live?” Blake asked.
“Somewhere outside of Long Beach….I was going to go let my Dad know that we were going to take a couple of weeks and head out there, but with these last two days, things are getting very dangerous.” I said.
“I could go with you, if you want. I don’t have anything going on right now.” Blake said.
I looked at Sully and she gave me the ok. 
“That might be a good idea…we’re going to go back to my house and get our stuff together and talk to my Dad. Do you want us to pick you up on our way out of town?” I asked him.
“Actually I’ll just meet you at your house…I’ll see you in a while.” Blake said.
Sully, Saska and I got back in my car and drove to my house. Sully and I didn’t talk much on the way. Things were getting strange and scary and neither of us knew why.
“Jayden, I just have to run home and get my things, I’ll leave a note for my cousin. She won’t mind she still gone on her trip anyway.” Sully said as she got out of the car.
“I hope my Dad is ok with this, he’s so protective sometimes.” I said.
“I’m sure he’ll be fine with it, just don’t mention the dog attack, which might make him flip his lid.” Sully said as she walked away.
“Yeah, ok, I’ll see you in a few Sully.” I said.
Saska and I went into the house and dad was in his study on the computer.
“Hi Dad.” I said as I walked in to his study.
“Hi Jayden, how was Elvina, is she holding up ok?” He asked.
“Yes, she seems to be, she doesn’t have time to think about Logan when she has all those people in her house. Elvina told me where Mom’s parents live. I need to ask you if you mind if I go see them.” I asked my dad as I sat down in the wing chair.
“Honey, if you want to go and find them…that is up to you. Just hope for the best but expect the worst. Your Mother wrote her parents off a long time ago, so there might be bitter feelings that have nothing to do with you, but might be dropped on you.” Dad said.
“I’m going with little hope, but I really need to find them and talk to them.” I said.
“Why are you so stuck on finding them, did your mothers letter say something that your not telling me, Jayden.” Dad said.
“Dad, I really don’t want to talk about it right now, maybe when I get back, ok.” I said knowing that he wasn’t going to let it go. My dad doesn’t like secrets, and this one just seems to want to come to the surface.
“Jayden, I gave you that letter and I respected your mother’s wishes not to open it, but over the last few days, things just don’t seem right and I have a feeling that your mother’s letter has something to do with it.” My dad said as he stood up and came around his desk and sat on the edge in front of me.
“Ok dad, but your not going to like it….Mom asked me in her letter not to show it to you. She didn’t really say much, but that was one of her requests. I’m sorry Dad, but I want to honor Mom and I have to do what she asks.” I said as I stood up and went over to him.
“Why would your Mother hide something from me, that doesn’t make any sense. We were always so honest with each other.” Dad said. 
He looked really sad, I was hoping that her letter wouldn’t come up, but I couldn’t keep lying to him, it hurt me too much.
“Dad I know mom didn’t intend to hurt you, in her letter she wanted you to know how much she misses you and loves you.” I said.
“Did she really say that.” Dad asked.
“Come on Dad, you and mom were two love birds that made everyone sick with envy.” I said.
“I know, it’s just hard without her, I miss her everyday. Sometimes my chest gets tight and I think I’m not going to be able to breath.” Dad said.
“Dad, I miss her too” I said as I gave Dad a hug.
“You be careful Jayden, I don’t know what I would do if I lost you too. You’re all I have left in this world.” He said as he squeezed me tighter.
“I can’t breath Dad.” I gasped.
“Oh sorry, ok, well go get ready, so it’s just you and Sully going?” He asked.
“Umm no, it’s me Sully, Saska and Blake.” I said as I started to leave the study.
“Blake, who’s Blake.” He asked.
Great, I knew this was going to come up. How do I explain this, and how is Dad going to feel about a guy going with us.
“Blake is Logan’s half brother, I just found out at his funeral. He offered to go, and he seems like a really nice guy.” I said.
“Jayden, I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’ve told you about boys and what they are like.” He said.
“Dad, Sully’s going with me, and Saska too. Saska wouldn’t let anyone hurt me, he seems to be my personal protector. It will be ok Dad.” I said.
“Ok, but I want you to call me everyday to make sure you’re alright.” Dad said.
“Everyday Dad, I will try my hardest.” I said.
I went up to my room and packed for about a week, I really didn’t have any idea how long we would be gone. I made sure I brought warm clothes, since it is the ocean weather is a little unpredictable. I packed enough for a week but wasn’t really sure how long we might be gone. Who knows if they still live there, or if they do, would they really want to know who I am. I grabbed a few of my zip up hoodies and few warm sweaters. I would rather layer up and take off then be to cold.  While I packed, I kept thinking about what we found in my Mom’s chest and what it all meant, I still needed to read those letters from my grandmother to my Mother. I finished up packing when my cell phone rang.
“Hello” I said, but I knew it was going to be Sully.
“Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I’m packed and on my way.” She said.
“I’ll make some dinner for both of us if you haven’t eaten yet.” I said.
“That would groovy, I’m famished. I couldn’t eat at Logan’s house.” She said.
“I understand, me either. Ok, well come on over and I should have something put together by the time you get here.” I said.
She hung up and I grabbed my bad and started downstairs.
(Whining) I looked behind me and Saska was sitting next to my bed whining.
“What’s wrong?  I haven’t forget about you, I’ll make you something when we get downstairs. Or do you want dog food, it’s been so busy I haven’t had a chance to go get anything from the store.” I said as I walked up to him and squatted down and stroked his chest.
“Come on let’s go, we need to get going soon.” I said as I started back towards the door.
I turned around and he was still sitting there.
“Ok, what’s the deal, you have been a great dog until this moment, what seems to be the problem.” I asked him.
He jumped onto my bed and laid down.
“Are you tired…or what, you don’t want to leave right now, is that it.?” I asked him, thinking that he would be able to tell me what was wrong.
I turned around and thought if I start to leave maybe be will follow. As I started towards the door he barked at me.
“Ok, now you know that I don’t understand dog talk, so I have no idea what the problem is.” I said.
He jumped off the bed and went and started to drag my bag back to my closet.
“So you don’t want me to go is that it.” I said.
He barked again.
“I have to go, you can come with me too, I suppose that I could ask my Dad to watch over you while I’m gone.” I said as I stared at him.
“I have no idea where you came from or why you are still with me, but I have to go on this trip. Come if you want, but I’m going.” I said as I went over and picked up my bag and walked out of my room.
I could hear him behind me, I hope that taking him with me doesn’t cause me trouble.
I stopped and he walked up beside me.
“If you can understand me like I think you do, I have to find out what my Mom’s letter meant and why those two guys tried to kill me.” I said has I bend down and kissed him on his nose.
He licked my face.
“Nice, I love the smell of dog breath.” I said as I wiped my face off. “I’m going to take that as a yes you’ll go with me.” I said.
On the way to the kitchen I stopped by Dad’s study and asked him if he wanted me to make a plate for him. He declined saying that he had eaten earlier and he was going out in a while.
In the kitchen I found a casserole that my Dad had made a few days ago, he loves to cook, we always have something in the fridge to heat up. I dished up two plates knowing that Sully would scarf down whatever I put in front of her. She never gets to heat home cooked meals, with her cousin traveling all the time.
I had just pulled the first plate out of the microwave when I heard a tapping coming form the back slider.
I walked over and Blake was standing in my back yard with a smile.
“Hi Blake, you have come to the front door.” I said as I stepped aside to let him by.
“I thought it might be better not to have to talk to your Dad right now. He’s probably not very happy that his little girl is going on a trip with a boy he doesn’t know.” He said.
“I’m not his little girl anymore, but I understand what you’re saying. He did confront me about you, but he let it go. He knows that I’ve had a rough week so he’s not pushing it.   My Dad is pretty easy going as long as I’m honest with him.” I said.
“It’s nice that you have that kind of relationship with your Dad.” He said.
“Would you like some dinner, I was just warming up some for Sully and I.” I said as I went back around the breakfast bar to grab another plate.
“If you’re sure you have enough, I ate a little at Elvina’s, but every time I tried to put a bite in my mouth someone came up and would start asking me questions, so I really didn’t get much down.” He said as he sat down at the breakfast bar.
“I have enough; my Dad doesn’t know how to make for two, especially when it comes to casseroles. Can I get you something to drink as well, we have soda, or juice…” I said as I opened the fridge to get the casserole.
“I would love a glass of water, thank you.” He said with that smile. 
He really is very handsome in that mysterious way. His eyes are a dark brown that reminds me of dark chocolate when it’s melted to perfection. He has one of the most welcoming smiles, it’s the kind of smile that makes you want to open up to him and tell him everything.
“I’m really glad that you are going, thinks have been so strange lately and the more of us there are the stronger is makes me feel.” I said.
I gave him a warm plate of my Dad’s chicken casserole and a glass of water. I was just putting down Sully’s dinner when she popped into the kitchen.
“What’s smells so good, chief “ Sully asked.
“Chicken casserole. What would you like to drink?” I asked her as she sat down next to Blake.
“I’ll take one of those cold beers I saw in the fridge.”: Sully asked.
“Hello Sully, did I miss your 21st birthday?” Dad sad as he came into the kitchen.
“No, but I though it sounded good with the casserole. I’ll take some water too Jayden.” Sully said.
“So, this must be Blake.” My Dad said as he came and stood next to me in the kitchen.
“Hi Mr. St.Claire, yes I’m Blake, it’s nice to finally meet you.” He said as he was trying to eat.
“So I hear that you are going to Ilwaco with my daughter and Sully. I want you to be aware that my daughter has taken plenty of self defense classes and won’t hesitate to show you.” Dad said.
“Dad, I’m sure that there won’t be any need for that, plus it’s not a very nice welcome is it.” I said as I started to eat my dinner.
It’s ok Jayden, if I had a daughter I would probably feel the same way. I will look out for your daughter and treat her with the utmost respect.” Blake said.
“You see that you do, or you might see a side of me that hasn’t come out in many years.” He said as he took a drink from his glass of I water I had poured him.
“Ok, ok, thanks Dad for putting the fear of god into my friend, I’m sure that he appreciates that.” I said
Dad finished eating his plate and left us alone, but not before he told to make sure that I checked with him before I left.
“Your Dad is very protective of you isn’t he.” Sully said.
“He’s just worried about me, I’m all he has left.” I said.
While Sully and Blake were finishing their food I searched the fridge wondering what I was going to feed Saska.
“So Saska, what are you in the mood for…I’m not really sure what I have that you might like. Do you want to try some of this casserole, it’s pretty good.” I looked down at Saska and he gave me a quite bark.
I dished some up and put it down for him, he seemed content with what I gave him. I wonder how he would fair on our road trip, he seems to listen to me very well, but sometimes he has a mind of his own.
When we all finished eating, we grabbed our things, said goodbye to my Dad and loaded up my car. We had everything all packed in the trunk when I heard Sully and Blake having a disagreement about something.
“Are we already having a dispute before we even leave the driveway?” I said as I went up to them to try and figure out what was wrong.
Blake was leaning against the door and Sully was standing next to him with her hands on her hips.
“He won’t ride in the back.” Sully said.
“I'm not riding in the back with a dog that obviously doesn’t like me. That’s setting myself up for a rough ride. Especially since that dog doesn’t seem to fond of me.” Blake said.
“Why do you think that Saska doesn’t like you.” I asked.
They both pointed to the back seat where Saska was sprawled out.
“So, he’ll move when someone gets in the back with him.” I said.
“And who do you suggest is suppose to sit back there with him, lady.” Sully said to me.
“I really don’t care who sits back there with him, but one of you has to, there’s only two seats up front and one of them is the driver.” I said as I walked around to the driver’s side and got in.
I could hear the two of them arguing about who was going to sit in the back. I saw Sully try to get in the back and Saska growled.
“Jayden, I refuse to get bit by your dog, you need to control that mutt or so help me I will go buck wild on him.” Sully said with anger in her voice.
“Saska, you can’t have the entire back seat to yourself, there’s one seat up front and two in the back so take your pick.” I said.
Saska jumped up front and sat in the passenger seat next to me and I could sware that he was smiling.
“Well that settles that, you both can sit in the back together.” I said. 
Sully and Blake got into the back seat, but neither one seemed very happy about it. 
“Your dog seems to understand what you say, I’ve never seen a dog so well trained.” Blake said.
“Well I guess he is just that smart.” I said as I took a glance at Blake through the rear view mirror.
I noticed that Sully already had put on her tunes and was staring out the window watching the cars go bye on the freeway. I wanted to strike up a conversation with Blake but I didn’t know what to say so I turned on my stereo and popped in my Tracy Chapman CD. I kept it low volume just in case he might want to say something.
It was about an hour into the drive before he finally said anything. It took me a minute to realize that he was talking.
“I’m sorry Blake, I was in deep thought, what did you say?” I asked him.
“You must have been in deep thought because I asked you three times.” He said with a smirk.
“Sorry” I smiled.
“I said…..are you nervous about meeting your grandparents.” He said with a little irritation from having to ask me so many times.
“I won’t be nervous until we get closer. So where did you grow up.” I asked
“I grew up in a small town North of here, it’s not much to talk about and there isn’t much to do around there either except to get into trouble.” Blake said with a smile.
“Yeah, growing up in a small town is hard, but I wouldn’t change it for city life. It’s too busy for me, every9one seems in such a rush, but there not sure where they are going.” I said as I looked at Blake through the rearview mirror.
As I stared at him, I realized how handsome he is, his brown hair that swirls around his face. His eyes are that deep brown, but I noticed when the light hits them three are specks of amber that seem to glow. How come I never noticed that about his eyes, maybe because I’ve been so busy thinking about Logan to be able to concentrate on anything else.
Time seemed to float by like I wasn’t even driving. That has always been so creepy to me that you can drive and not remember how you got there. I seemed to snap out of it when I noticed a sign for food up ahead.
“I think this is the exit we take, Montesano. Is anyone hungry or thirsty?” I asked.
“I am” Sully yelled.
“I thought you were listening to your music, how did you hear me ask that?” I said.
“Anytime there is food involved I hear it.” She giggled.
“Sully, are you seriously telling me that you’re hungry, we just ate an hour ago.” I said as I pulled of the exit. I know that I’m thirsty and Saska needs to be let out to pee.
“I have a very fast metabolism, what can I say.” She shrugged her shoulders.
She does have a fast metabolism, I hated the last hour before lunch during school, Sully would get so cranky and start to talk really fast, that was my cue to sneak her a snack while in math class. I would carry them just for her. I could always sneak stuff past Mr. Carlton, he never took her face away from that board. It was like he didn’t really have a class, it was like he was working problems out to himself.
I pulled into the parking lot of a place called “The Crows Nest.”
“Cool beans, a burger joint.” Sully said as she started to put her IPOD away.
I let Saska wander around the parking lot, even though there wasn’t any grass, he found a few spots to pee on.
Blake and Sully were already inside when I went to put Saska back in the car.
I opened the door. “Get in” I said as I waved my hand towards the seat. 
He just sat there.
“Ok now, don’t do this, you can’t go into the restaurant with me, it’s not like you’re a service dog.” I said with one hand on the door and one hand on my hip.
Saska jumped in the driver’s seat while I unrolled the window a bit so he could have some fresh air.
As I was about to walk away, he put his paw on the rim of the window and pushed out a small bark.
“What, I told you that you can’t go in there, no dogs allowed.” I said.
Be he just barked again.
“Are you hunger?” I asked.
No response.
“Ok, so are you thirsty?” I asked.
No response.
“So what do you want?” I asked knowing that I wouldn’t be able to understand him. 
My chest started to warm, then it moved to my right arm and down my hand.
Keep the window rolled all the way down, so I can jump out if I need to
“Ok, but if someone comes, you better protect our stuff.” I said as I opened the door and rolled the window down.
“Wait a minute, did I just hear that…….did you just talk to me.” I looked right into his eyes. He just stared back at me.
“Did I just answer you…no I couldn’t have heard what you said….did you just ask me to roll the window down?...Ok Jayden get it together, there is no way you just heard that dog talk to you.
If you can hear me, we are in big trouble
“You’re telling me…..Oh shyster, is this really happening.
Jayden you need to stay calm, please don’t freak out and please don’t tell your friends
“I am going to pretend like I didn’t just hear that.” I said as I shut the door.
I walked into the restaurant and walked over to the booth that Sully and Blake had picked for us.
“Jayden are you ok, you look a little pale.” Blake said.
“I’m ok, I’m just thirsty, have you two ordered anything?” I asked as I couldn’t help but look back towards the car.
“Heck yeah, I ordered their combo, it looks scrumptious, I ordered a milk shake too, they have some cool look-in flavors.” Sully said as she started to play the drums with her fingers on the top of the table.
“Jayden, can I get you something to drink, you don’t look so good.” Blake asked.
“I would love a milk shake, I don’t care what kind….oh yeah, can you get a cup of water for the dog too. I would hate to forget him.” I said as I looked at Sully trying to get her to focus on my eyes.
Blake walked over to the counter to order but was luckily beat by a large family that had just walked in. That meant that I had more time to try and explain to Sully what just happened between me and Saska.
“Sully I need you to listen to me.” I said with my firmest tone I knew how to use.
“Ok, I’m right here, talk away.” Sully said.
“Something weird just happened with Saska” I said.
“Jayden…you can’t say weird around me anymore, everything that has happened over that last few days has been weird.” Sully said.
“Sully, I don’t have much time to talk to you about this before Blake comes back, please listen to me.” I asked with eagerness in my eyes.
“Ok, Ok, sorry, tell me what happened.” She said.
“I think I just had a conversation with Saska.” I said as I looked for a response from her.
“Yeah, you and I both, we talk to him all the time, what’s so weird about that?” Sully said..
“No, I really talked to him, I heard what he was thinking and I answered him and he understood me.” I said as I swung my head about to see where Blake was.
“That is so cool, I’ve always wanted to know what dogs are thinking. So what was he thinking….let me guess, “Have you seen my “…
“Sully this is serious, he talked to me like you and I are talking right now. Please be serious for just a minute, I don’t want Blake to know about this” I said as I gave her my most stern face I could come up with.
“I’ll be serious, I’m sorry, but seriously, what did he say.” Sully said as she gave me that grin like a kid in a candy store.
“Sully, does it matter what he said, how come I’m the only one freaking out about this!” I said.
“What are you freaking out about?”
I knew that voice…
“She’s just freaking out because she’s getting closer to meeting her grandparents.” Sully said as she looked at me and winked.
Before anyone had a chance to say anything, our food and drinks arrived. For the next 10 minutes we all sat in silence while sipping on our shakes and Sully ate her burger and fries.
“That smells really good, I might have to stop here on the way back and eat a full meal.” I said as I drank the last of my Chocolate banana shake.
“So what made you order me a chocolate banana shake…not that I don’t like it, it’s just a strange combination.” I said as I was sad to see the last of the shake disappear.
“You can’t go wrong when you combine chocolate with anything.” He said as he gave me that smile that made my face warm.
“It’s really late, we should probably be heading out, these roads are really dark and windy. They can seem treacherous to someone who hasn’t driven them often.” Blake said as we all got up.
“Yeah, your probably right, plus I hate driving at night anyway. I have the worst night vision. Sometimes I wish that I was a cat and could see better at night.” I said as I threw the empty cup away.
The next few towns that we passed just seemed to sail by, I barely remember glimpses of fishing boats and a few shops along the way, but what I really remember is the dog’s thoughts in my head. How could I really be hearing his thoughts in my head. Did I only think that he would be thinking those things, but the voice seemed so familiar.
“You really seem to like that necklace” I heard someone say.
It brought my thoughts slamming back in the car and I realized that I was rubbing the center stone between my fingers.
“Yeah I do really like it, it’s the one of the best gifts that I have ever received.” I said as I let go of the necklace and let it drop back onto my chest.
“Who gave it to you?” Blake asked.
Don’t tell him
“As I close my eyes I feel life slipping away, I come towards you.” Sully sang out loud.
“Sully, your singing really loud.” I said trying to keep from having to answer Blake about my necklace.
“I love this band, hey Jayden did I tell you about this new CD I bought, I found it at a hole in the wall music store. I sware the guy behind the counter was sniffing something because he talked to himself even when no one was around, but he knows his music.” Sully said.
“So what is the name of the band?” I asked.
“I can’t remember, but I’ll put it on your IPOD when we get home.” Sully said.
“I think you did mention something about that, but I’ve waiting to hear some fresh and sassy music.” I said with a smile. I knew that she would see the smile and know that I understood what she was trying to do. I did take a quick glance at Blake in the back seat hoping that he didn’t pick up on me avoiding his question.
“Oh just pass me already” I said with a raised tone.
“Is that car too close?” Blake asked as he sat up as if he was on guard.
“Yeah, they just came out of no where. why do people have to do that, just go around already.” I said as I rolled my window down and waved my hand as to signal to the other car to go by.
“Maybe you should just pull over at the next chance you get.” Blake said with concern in his voice.
“Please….Jayden if you pull over I will clock you just like I want to clock them. Just brake check em those good for nothen..”
“Sully…cool it with the words.” I said as I started to grip the steering wheel a little harder.
Jayden, do as Blake says but be very cautious, if you stop you might give up your advantage. Just pull a fake like you and I use to at the Lake. Let them think your pulling over then get behind them.
“Logan!” I said as I no longer had my thoughts on what was happening but on what I just heard in my head.
“Sully are you ok” Blake asked as he put his hand on the back of my seat and started to sit forward.
I looked back at Blake and got lost in his eyes, those eyes of his make me forget about everything else. They seem to radiate green around the edges.
Jayden (the voice was yelling) You need to wake up and concentrate or this car could run you off the road.
“I’m awake, I’m awake. Ok guys I’m going to slow down and see if this car just wants to pass us. I want everyone to buckle in if they aren’t already.” I said as I took a look in my rear view mirror to see where the car was. These aren’t roads that I want to have to maneuver a car that I’m intimate with. On the right of us are cliffs that trail off to the water and on the left are rock walls. 
“Jayden I think the car just wants to pass, it’s coming up on your left.” Blake said with a sense of relaxation in his voice.
“Great, well, I’m just going to slow down a little to give them some room to pass me.” I said as I didn’t release my tight grip on my wheel.
The car proceeded to pass on the left and just as I thought it was not another attack the car swerved over to the right and bounced off the my left front fender. Without thinking I slammed on my brakes and turned the wheel to the left. It happened like time was standing still. The left front end of my car hit the right rear of the car in question. The car in question spun out if front of us and hit a tree. It took a few seconds for my car to come to a stop and I just sat there diagonal across both lanes wondering what I should do next.
“Jayden, are you ok?” Sully asked.
“Yes I’m ok, how about you two.” I asked but not looking anywhere but at the car that wasn’t moving.
“We’re both ok, so what now Dale Earnhart.” Sully said as she pulled her plugs out of her ear. It’s good to know that she can put her music down when there’s a need.
“Jayden, it might be a good idea to get out of the middle of the road, with it being so dark someone could come around one of those corners and not see us.” Blake said.
“Ok, I’m pulling up the road a bit and pulling over.” I said as I took my foot off the brake.
I pulled the car up about 20 feet and onto a turn around that lined the drop off. It wasn’t much room but it was better than being in the cross hairs of other cars.
I unbuckled my seat belt and started opening the door.
What are you doing, you have no idea who is in that car
“I have to find out if they’re ok, what if they weren’t trying to run us off the road and it was all just an accident, we can’t just leave them here.” I said as I stood up.
“Ok, we weren’t going to object, but take Saska with you and don’t get too close until you know what’s up.” Sully said as I called for Saska to come with me.
As Saska jumped out of the car, I wanted to stop him and find out what was going on with us and how he knew about Logan and I swimming at the Lake, but other things seemed a little more important. 
Please keep your distance from this car you need to listen to yourself and put your guard up just in case.
“I will be careful, but I have to make sure that no ones hurt, I couldn’t live with myself if we left and someone needed help.” I said as I looked down at Saska.
The car or should I say SUV looked like a Chevy but it was hard to tell in the dark. I was trying to see the people in the SUV but the windows are tinted. I was about three feet from the dark colored SUV and I yelled out.
“Is everyone ok. Hello, can anyone hear me.” I said as I was hesitant to go any farther.
Just as I was about to the passenger I felt my skin start to warm up, this seem to be happening a lot lately. The truck started to back up and then it floored it and hit both Saska and I. We both feel to the ground, but before I could get up the truck drove away in the opposite direction from where we were going. 
Are you ok Jayden?
“I’m ok, but that felt really strange. I’ve always wondered what it would feel like to be hit by a car and that is not what I imagined.” I said as I started to get up.
Are you hurt
“No, and that’s the weird part, I feel fine.” I said as I checked out myself to make sure I wasn’t just in shock.
You must have put up a force field around both of us
Laughing “I didn’t know that you had such a sense of humor” I said while I laughed.
Jayden, things are going to start happening to you that don’t seem explainable
“Yeah, like a talking dog” I said as I started to walk back to the car.
Yes, like talking dogs, but more than that you need to conserve your energy we have no idea what lies ahead and until you’ve discovered all of your abilities your in danger
“I can’t believe that just happened, and I just got it today.” I said as I started to round the car to look at the damage from the accident.
Jayden listen to me, there won’t be any damage…
“Where’s the damage on the car, they hit me hard and I hit them. I saw there vehicle it had damage on it. I don’t understand.” I said.
I told you that you have the ability to put a force field around yourself and that’s what you did when that truck attacked us. We need to get going, I don’t want those people to come back, you won’t be able to stand another attack so soon.
“Ok, what do I tell Sully and Blake, they were in the car when it got hit.” I said
Try to say the least amount possible, I don’t trust Blake and you can’t tell Sully when he’s around.
“That reminds me, how did you know about the Lake. I’m about to say something that sounds absolutely absurd. Are you Logan?” I said as I squatted down to get right in the dogs face.
Jayden, let’s talk about this later, your going to be getting tired soon and I don’t want to bring more stress right now. I promise that we will talk about this later, please let’s get going.
“Ok, but don’t forget you owe me some answers.” I said as I opened the driver’s door and let Saska in.
I sat in the driver’s seat for a second before I started the car.
“Jayden, are you sure you’re ok, we saw that truck back up and hit you too.” Sully asked with concern.
“I don’t think the car actually hit us, I think that the reaction made me fall down.” I said as I put the car in drive and started back on our voyage.
“Did you get a look at who was in the car?” Blake asked as he sat back in his seat.
“No, the windows were blacked out.” I said.
“So who do you think they were, and what did they want?” Blake asked.
The car was moving but I started to see black, why was all of this happening and why to me. What did my mother mean in her letter….I couldn’t see the road anymore. I feel so tired, I just want to sleep a little bit. 
“Jayden, Jayden are you awake, stop the car.” I heard Blake say.
Jayden, listen to my voice, I need you to put your foot on the brake. I know you just want to sleep but you need to stop the car
 
 
 


© 2009 Rusty


Author's Note

Rusty
Here's the next chapter, I have loads more, but I've been busy with my two college classes, I just wanted to post the next chapter to get me motivated for finishing this summer

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wonderful! i can't wait to read the next chapter. this is getting exciting.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 13, 2009


Author

Rusty
Rusty

Seattle, WA



About
Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally have found a place where I can get honest feedback. I started writing about two years ago, and I've almost finished my first book. I'm a wife and mother of two gi.. more..

Writing
No title yet No title yet

A Book by Rusty


My Friend My Friend

A Chapter by Rusty


Questions Questions

A Chapter by Rusty