Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Stars and Whales
"

The first chapter of this unbelievable story.

"

Chapter 1


I am isolated, completely withdrawn and forgotten by society. I am lost in a hopeless vision, trapped in a never ending abyss of desperation. There’s nobody out there who could possibly love me, nor anyone who cares whether I live a full life, or die hopelessly alone. I live in Ventura, California, homeless, and although it is an unbelievable place of opportunity and convenience, I will never find my way. I walk the streets, drowning in my own incompetence, desperate for a chance in life. But today is a new day, as is every day, and all I can do is hope. I’ve been fighting all my life, always in a constant struggle, no matter what the circumstance.

I wake up this morning to the sound of honking horns and the smell of smoke and gasoline. Breakfast is hard to come by, but I know there are many people out there willing to help a man in need; clearly the likes of myself. My only refuge are my daily naps and smoking cigarettes on the street corner. I can only hope that one day something or somebody will come into my life and turn it around for the better.

Two things I can use in California as an escape, as a motivation, are our great, blue ocean and the light of the nighttime stars. In the light of day, our great big blue ocean shines like nothing else, awakening even the souls of the dead to share in its beauty. In the dark of night, our ocean glistens in sync with the light of the stars, and silences the world with its peace and serenity. Our great blue ocean drives a sense of adventure within me, inspiring and persevering my heart. It creates new worlds for all that see it, and clears the minds of those who need it. Home for many grateful creatures, our great ocean provides for all who are willing to receive it.

I find a nice, tall tree to act as my bed, and the trillions of stars as my blanket, their warmth inspiring a love for nature within me, and a desire to leave my wicked past behind me. And that is truly what my life had been. I remember the murder of my family before my eyes. I remember running away and living alone my whole childhood, thievery becoming habit. I remember weeping for days, cursing my life for what it was, and a growing evil within me as well. Still today I remain jobless, homeless, but I do have a strong personality and I believe I’ve grown into something much more superior.

I usually don’t make signs from cardboard scrap I find, such as other homeless people do, but rather I try to find a job opportunity to earn a couple bucks to make it through the day. I look for the big opportunity that could change my life. Today, I trek up around town, and work my way up the street and through several neighborhoods, searching for anyone willing to lend a helping hand to a lonely homeless man.

I’m not in the best shape, considering my situation, and I lay down near a large building after walking a while. Birds are chirping, and it’s a beautiful day, that’s for sure. I close my eyes and just listen. In that moment, trapped in my bliss, I hear joyful chatter and what sounds like a group of normal people having a party. I open my eyes and curiously stroll on up to the commotion. When I get pretty close, I see that it is a Christian church, and the people attending looked particularly happy and hopeful, more so than the average man. I’ve heard some stuff about people of religion, and I have heard something about God, the supposed creator of our world. I listen again and I hear the whisper of the morning wind, and peace washes over me. I hear a voice, beckoning me closer. When I open my eyes I see a kind looking gentleman waving to me and inviting me over. I back up, afraid at first. Then another sense urges me forward. The man and many others offer me a glass of water and a jacket. I accept gratefully, and inside my heart I am ecstatic over this start to the day.

“Sir, what is your name?” the gentleman beckons, inviting me inside the church.

I respond, “Wilton Steen is my name. And...uh, thank you.” A woman from the group answers.

“Welcome, Wilton!This is Ventura Christ Fellowship Church! We would love to help you in any way possible. Is there anything we can do for you? We’re very glad you came here this day.” They all smile at me. “You looked lost in every way, and we hope to maybe point you in the right direction.”

I tell them my whole story, and some get teary when I talk about my childhood. “Thank you, Wilton.” the gentleman begins as he takes a deep breath. “Is there anything we can do for you? Anything at all.”

“I appreciate that…” I say. “A warm bed would be a great place to start...this is all sort of sudden to me, I apologize.”

“Oh! Of course, Wilton.” the woman says with a smile.

I am led to a large room, and several men are carrying a large bed into it. To me, it was everything I could ever ask for. Money and other provisions are great, but nothing beats a soft mattress and a warm blanket to end the day.

I hung around the church for the next couple of hours, everybody greeting me with warmth as I pass them by.

Finally, evening comes, and I get to bed nice and early. I can only finish the day with three words: What a day.


© 2015 Stars and Whales


Author's Note

Stars and Whales
Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You tell too much Zane. Dont tell. Show. The more you contemplate your problems and uncover their sources the more you will able to show. Show us. Its liberating. A reader does not want to hear your struggles. They want to feel their own. What makes you human? Certainly not just the questions. But the experience.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

I'm not working on this one anymore. Could you review "One Man's Soul?" Thanks!



Reviews

A refreshing ending despite the bleak subject matter. First person perspective is an interesting choice, and I must admit my own bias for favoring this in adult fiction. There was one minor error, but nothing that distracts completely from the experience.

Perhaps you might consider the word better instead of "more superior". I'll be interested in following along at a later date.

Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stars and Whales

7 Years Ago

Thanks, you think you could check out my most recent piece, "Stars and Whales?" It's been over two y.. read more
You tell too much Zane. Dont tell. Show. The more you contemplate your problems and uncover their sources the more you will able to show. Show us. Its liberating. A reader does not want to hear your struggles. They want to feel their own. What makes you human? Certainly not just the questions. But the experience.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

I'm not working on this one anymore. Could you review "One Man's Soul?" Thanks!
A real life story for many. You create realistic place and thoughts. I like the internal thoughts and being thankful for bed and food. A very strong opening chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think this is a unique and very sweet idea for a story. I can only give you one suggestion. When you begin you start with present tense and in first person, and then change to past tense. I got a little confused there. I usually don't like stories written in first person, but I really liked how you worked with it. This chapter warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot I will do what I can to fix that

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2015
Last Updated on August 20, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Waiting Waiting

A Poem by Miss Teri