Clotilda

Clotilda

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The last slave ship to America. Based on facts with added elements.

"

Image result for Last slave ships paintings



Clotilda//////By Sami Khalil

The last slave ship…………….Based on a true historical account.



In view, The Clotilda, the last slave ship, was winding down its spindrift journey, with her precious cargo. It was soon to be nightfall. Sharks were prowling the dreary deep. The gleaming moon was haunting in aberration. The plight of 160 dark-skinned, weary slaves, was a pondering of sorts, won by a sinister bet between two wealthy siblings; a ship builder and landowner, Timothy Meaher, and his brother Byrnes. Timothy had bet that he could “bring a shipful of n*****s right into Mobile Bay under officers’ noses.” It was self-evident that he won.


Docked at the bay now, circa 1859 or so, Captain William Foster, who commanded the schooner, arrived as a rogue lubber, skirting the prohibition law, passed in 1808, forbidding all forms of that trade.  The beautiful white sands of the gulf contrasted sharply with the “Commodity” on board. Horrendous fear accompanied those from the time “King of Whydah, Dahomey” sold them for $50 each to the traders, till they landed miserably away from their ancient spirits.


One could experience the venerable injustice of slavery and, scream in rage, when conjuring up the horrific images of its depraved heritage. The sins of the past, whisper in detail the highlights of our dramatic changes as species, indicative of restoration and retiring of past relics. The stripping of value, freedom and honor, reflect the austere mania of bondage; a grim reminder of never again in the evolution of evil.


Bound for the new world, losing identity and roots, among others, the chattel slaves were taken on boats to their destination markets, whereas the Clotilda was scuttled by being burnt by its captain, when someone, as rumors go, tipped the federal authorities on the matter and were in pursuit.


Timothy, on the other hand, bought 30 or so of them, whisking them away to his North Mobile plantation, which is to become Africatown later years.


The rest were sold in auctions to others who set them on different paths of the damned. Those poor souls, would  rather be lost at sea, than be lost to the union of injustice, where weeds choked the hopes of fruitful fields.


Cudjoe Kazoola Lewis (the last male survivor, who died in 1935, wrote in spirit:


Frowned upon and fettered to curse and agony

A burdensome bondage ponderously was honed

So, danced our frail bodies to the Masters’ whips

And evil of man bidders naught but ghastly penury

Truth withstands and justice will prevail tyranny

Audaciously wearing crowns on clearer days’ verity

                                                                      S.K.


 

At the end, Timothy was shattered to learn, it was his brother who was the wretched rat, who snitched!!!



Related image

© 2017 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Clotilda
Sami Khalil,
Those carried on ships like this, The most precious cargo...more precious than any precious stone or the most expensive of gold. These people would be tested and have given the strength of body and character. They have given the most beautiful music out of their work and pain. Much beauty in art and stories and poetry. This is a dark blight in our history but oh I am glad they came. Every facet of humanity's diamond shinning brightly. We can learn so much from each other.
It is good to think on things sometimes which hurt.
Blessings,
Kathy


Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I do so agree Kathy Van Kurin. You have shared a great deal of truth. Lessons must be learned a.. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

Sami,
I am such a simple little lady. All I really want if honest is to be know contentment a.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)..................
Best aspect of your story: You really know how to research a long complex topic & pick out some vivid gems of information to weave into a story that reads like a lesson in humanity, as well as history. The first paragraph reads like poetry, with many gracefully-stated descriptions that paint a vivid picture. The third paragraph tends to be more "cerebral" than sensory gut-level as the rest of your message is (not a problem, just an observation). All in all, I'm reminded of how I can't even consider myself "OWNING" my pets (they rule the roost here), so how could anyone rip humans away from their native lives & sell them as possessions? Your simply-stated message brings home this never-ending question about slavery for me (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

(If I haven't already said this, please have a lovely Christmas enjoying loved ones!)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well articulated. I'm so honored by your visit and summation of this institution that s.. read more
The history holds so many untold stories of real truth good and bad. History is for man to relearn and reeducate. The writing is based on history for sure. Slavery still exists and at times we are our own slaves chained for what who knows.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and well said. Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this wonderful review an.. read more
Slavery....no human being should ever be an object bought and sold. Such a powerful write, Sami. You get into the mind of the slaves. Hope was gone. Powerful write. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well articulated. I totally agree with you. Thank you so much for taking the time and ef.. read more
"Truth withstands and justice will prevail tyranny
Audaciously wearing crowns on clearer days’ verity"
S.K.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A truly powerful and extremely emotive account of historical events that clearly demonstrate just how bad, bad can be..........

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Tank you so much Neville Pettitt for this powerful review and testament. All good things.
Neville

6 Years Ago

My pleasure my fine literary friend, Neville
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:::::)))))))))))))
"Those poor souls, would rather be lost at sea, than be lost to the union of injustice, where weeds choked the hopes of fruitful fields."

Sami Khalil

Posted 6 Years Ago


"One could experience the venerable injustice of slavery and, scream in rage, when conjuring up the horrific images of its depraved heritage. The sins of the past, whisper in detail the highlights of our dramatic changes as species, indicative of restoration and retiring of past relics. The stripping of value, freedom and honor, reflect the austere mania of bondage; a grim reminder of never again in the evolution of evil."

Sami Khalil

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 5, 2017
Last Updated on December 5, 2017

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Presence Presence

A Poem by Sami Khalil