Part 1

Part 1

A Chapter by Sapphire Balasquez
"

First part of "Peeling of the Skin", begins Spider, Jessie, and Katie's stories.

"

          "I do believe there was a pledge of honor made, my lady, or do you wish to be labeled as a traitor?" Spider was upon the largest rock in the park, standing higher than nine feet above the ground, striding about the small, flat rock top, just as a king would, looking down upon his people. The newly fallen leaves from the surrounding oak trees crunched satisfyingly underneath his feet. His jacket sleeves tied around his neck, creating a cape. Jessie called up as she began to climb,

            "Sire, there is a time for praise to you, and there is a time for rebellion. You decide what time it is now." Her hands pulled her up over the coral-esque rock, not even caring about the scratchiness, protected by large calluses. Jessie had reached the north end when Spider yelled,
            "It's noon!" And tackled her to the ground, both of them howling from the breath forced out of their lungs upon impact.
            The large boulder loomed over them, a castle of its own, unique beauty. Spider pulled himself up, sprinting at full speed down the crowded sidewalk, proclaiming that his stomach would be filled before hers. She took off down alleyways, hoping to get to the "royal foodery" first. At each main street she looked at, Spider was just ahead of her, focused on winning. Spider apologized as he brushed against a youngish man with spiked brown hair. He shook his fist at Spider as he passed. Jessie pressed through the hot alleyway splashing through some effects of the monsoon season. Arriving at the food center, she slowed down to see she was alone.
            "Spider?"
            "Ma'am?" His voice had appeared out of the corner, but he clearly stood behind her, making her jump and he caught her while in the air. She was still catching her breath as he plopped her onto a bench at the cleanest table he could find. He placed 2 trays on the table, easing himself onto the bench across from Jessie.
            "I almost didn't beat you! I accidentally knocked a notebook out of this woman's hands and had to stop to apologize." His eyes were caught gently on something behind Jessie's head. A half smile on his face evolved into a playful grin, and his voice dropped low so that only Jessie could hear,
            "We've interested someone, but don't turn around." A wink at the young girl tipper her off to the game they were going to play. The both of them quickly scarfed down the small amount of food, making unmentionable noises and then swiftly continued, getting up and putting the trays in a bin.
            They then quickly and inconspicuously slid out of the building, increasing speed but maintaining a walk all down the street. They created a rhythm as they did so, without even meaning to; Jessie stepping in between Spider's steps. They did this often, when the sun shone on them like it did today.
                       ~~~
            i'm breaking up with u. Katie's cell phone screen had been lit up with those words for the past two hours. She was in complete denial that Kyle was breaking up with her for the third time this month. She thought in her heart that she loved him enough to forgive him after each time that he broke her heart. But this time, it had broken one too many times. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she hated him with every fiber of her being. The text message was the same every time he broke up with her, she didn't even think that he put the effort into typing a new one, probably just resent the old one. The door to her room creaked open and she didn't even get up, just continued staring at the stupid screen that she was determined to change with the will of her mind. 
            "Katie!! What do you think you're doing?? I told you that guy was a jerk," it was her friend Charity's voice. The friend came and plopped onto Katie's bed, snatching the phone from the loose hands and snapping it shut, then stuffing it into her pocket. 
            "We're keeping you away from chick flicks and ice cream. You need to get out and do something. Keep your mind busy until your senses are logical." Katie just glared at the wispy, red-haired energetic trumpet player. 
            "Oh, don't give me that look!! You had to see this coming!! He dumped you more than once in the same month that you started dating and you still took him back!! He's a player, Katie, you don't need him. If you really love him, you can wait until he's more mature to date him again." Katie continued glaring, then pretended to reach for a tissue while actually grabbing the tissue box and throwing it next to Charity's head. 
            "I don't need your help," was muffled into the flowery pillow as Katie burst into a gasping, empty sob. Charity threw a disappointed look at her friend before floating back out the door. 
            Just outside of Katie's one-story, sky-blue house was a group of nearly twenty girls, and upon coming out of the house, Charity told them all that Katie needed at least one more day before they did an intervention. Nodding, they all walked in different directions, heading home. 
            Back inside the house, no one was home but Katie and her gasps and sighs filled the silence of loneliness. She no longer had her phone to stare at, so she dragged her feet to the family computer in the room next door to hers. She sent an email to Kyle, filled with hatred for the boy, but also telling him that she was never going to get over him. She hated herself for sending it and plopped back on to her bed after sending it. She whispered three words for her own comfort before falling asleep, "I hate Sundays."
 


© 2008 Sapphire Balasquez


Author's Note

Sapphire Balasquez
I know that it needs a lot of work!! Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on June 1, 2008


Author

Sapphire Balasquez
Sapphire Balasquez

Niwot, CO



About
In my room of orange, I obsess over books, and write into the unearthly hours of the night, starting at my Shmoo for condolences. On any normal night, my music pushes my thoughts along until sleep ta.. more..

Writing