Secrets

Secrets

A Chapter by Lilith
"

Yana and Emily drama

"

    Black

    That was all I could see.

    Want more details? Fine.

    It was the dead of night. That point where you can’t hear or see anything. That point to where somebody could be just mere inches away from you.

    I love that time at night.

    The sky was moonless but above my head I could see light shades of gray. Clouds, drifting past the dense woods I was in. Leaves crumbled under my boots as I walked forward, no light to guide my way.

    Focusing hard, I picked up the soft babble of a stream up ahead. I felt a tinge of excitement when I realized I had found the secret spot where we would meet.

    Pushing past the branches, I stepped onto cool and soft earth and took a hurried to the edge, trying to maintain my cool. It was harder than I expected it to be.

    There was a soft rustling across the river, and my eyes snapped as I tried to pinpoint the rustling. A few bushes trembled before outstepped the person I was supposed to be meeting. He looked at me before wading into the river as if he didn’t even care he was getting wet.

    Then he was by my side, and I looked up into his eyes. The air always seemed hotter around him for some odd reason.

    “Sorry I’m late.” He said, his warm breath washing over my face.

    “It’s fine. I just got here.” I protest softly as he guided me to the smooth rocks by the river’s edge, letting me sit on a dry one. Such a gentleman.

    “I missed you.” He murmured, kissing my temple.

    “I missed you too.” I whispered back.

    “How did you get away?” He asked when he pulled away.

    “I lied that I was going out to see a movie.” I say, but even that was a lie. I had really told my friends that I was out of tampons. They bought it with no questions asked.

    “So we have about two hours together?” He said as he nuzzled my hair.

    “Yup…Want to go mountain climbing again?” I ask after a minute.

    “I was thinking more along the lines of sledding down Rabbitpaw Hill. But we can do that-

    “Never mind sledding sounds awesome.” I cut him off, a glint in my eyes as he chuckled.

    “I figured you would say something like that.” He murmured.

    2:03 A.M. (the same day)…

    Dear God this book was good. I was on the part in Crispin when the one-eyed man was totally checking out Crispin and Bear.

    Glancing at my clock, I blinked with disbelief when I saw that it was three minutes after two. Running a hand through my wavy blond hair, I told myself that after this chapter I would go to sleep.

    Suddenly the window creaked open, and my eyes snapped up to it as a pale hand grasped the window sill. A black boot came next, and I watched as Emily snuck into the room.

    “Where have you been?” I snapped, and she looked up at me with shock. She must’ve thought I would be asleep.

    “Tampons.” She said, and I looked at her.

    “Okay (A) that was two hours ago, and (B) you don’t have a shopping bag or anything. What would make me believe that you went out to the store?” I ask, raising my eyebrow.

    “I…”She trailed off, and my heart squeezed. Couldn’t even tell me the truth.

    “Emily, what happened to us? Three months ago you weren’t sneaking out. You started ditching our plans for no reason whatsoever. Tell me what’s up. We can talk it over.” I say, giving her my most trusting look.

    “…Yana, I just…I can’t…” She said, and I sighed.

    “Do you promise to tell me when the time comes?” I ask, and she nods.

    “Good. Now go paint your nails or something.”

    “So boring not being able to sleep. Can’t do anything good when I’m this young.” She sighed, and I put my book on my nightstand before letting sleep pull me down.

    Before I fell asleep, I made a mental note to never tell Emily that there never was a right time to tell somebody something.

    3:15 P.M. (same day)…

    After classes, I stopped by my dorm to change out of my skirt and blouse. Emily was flopped out on the bed and had already changed out of her uniform into a black mini-skirt and a tank top.

    “Hey.” She said without looking up from her book as I opened the door.

    “Hey.” I murmur as I look through my closet, searching for my favorite white jeans and the blue tank top that matched my eyes.

    “So is the movies still on tonight or what?” I ask, unbuttoning my blouse as I face away from Emily.

    “Hmm? Oh yeah. I’ve been meaning to check out that new zombie movie.” She answered, and I grinned. One thing we shared a common interest for: zombies.

    “Awesome. Want to go get dinner before?” I ask, and I could practically feel the sudden anxiety coming off of her in waves.

    “Uh sorry, I have to take a rain check on dinner. I’m meeting up with a guy from VTS to talk about tightening up the security.” She said, and even though I knew she was lying I nodded and gave her a smile.

    “That’s fine.” I say, my mind working. “Where? Any place I know?”

    “That Mexican restaurant we love in Ontario.” She answered as I grabbed my brush and smoothed down my hair.

    “Awesome. Save me a taco.” I tell her, and she grinned before grabbing the brush from me with her lightning-fast speed.

    “You do know you’ll always be my best friend right?” She asked as she brushed out her long red hair.

    “Of course I do. As long as you’ll be mine.” I answer, and she smiled.

    “Forever and ever.” She promised, and I remembered that those were the same words she had spoken to me when we were five. I’ll be your best friend forever and ever.

    “Forever and ever.” I repeat, and we fist bump before getting our homework done.

    4:45 P.M. (same day)…

    I am such a terrible person.

    I broke the code. Did something that Emily would practically kill me for doing. And I felt absolutely terrible.

    I followed Emily.

    Don’t get it? When Emily and I were younger, we each made a little addition to the Girl Code (if you don’t know what it is, it’s pretty much common sense for girls. Ex.: Thou shall not date thy best friend’s ex). I promised her that I would never follow her unless she wanted me to, and she promised that she wouldn’t tell my secret. I still don’t get why she made me promise not to follow her.

    Anyway, so far Emily has done some strange things. After sneaking off of campus and riding the subway, she stopped in a public restroom for ten whole minutes. When she came back she was wearing a pretty black dress. Her hair was curled and her face had makeup on it, and I couldn’t help but wonder if she wasn’t just meeting somebody.

    She was meeting a boy.

    But Emily? Dating a boy? That was highly unlikely, since every guy that hit on her she turned down and treated like something stuck to the bottom of her shoe. But she never changed her clothes and made herself look nice for her friends, and I had a feeling she couldn’t care less what the other vampires at VTS thought of her.

    I watched her as she walked into a restaurant. Surprisingly, it was the exact restaurant she said she was going to. Waiting a few minutes outside, I decided on what to do.

    Then I walked right in.

    “Table for one? Or are you meeting your friends?” A sweet waitress asked me as I walked inside.

    “Just a table for one please.” I say, scouring the loud restaurant for Emily. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash of red, and I looked at it while the waitress led me to my table.

    There sat Emily, sitting in a booth, reading the menu like an ordinary girl.

    Gritting my teeth as I slid into my booth, I debated over whether or not to go over there and talk to her. No. I should just let things play out. After all, I could find out more.

    Suddenly my ears were focused on a very familiar voice. Looking up from the menu, I saw a blond haired blue-eyed boy walk in, wearing a white t-shirt and pants. Looking around, I could see that all the girls had his eyes on him.

    John.

    What was he doing here? Last I heard, he was in Finland with his other werewolf buddies, living the life.

    Mom and dad are going to be shocked that he lied.

    I watched him as he walked over to a table. My heart almost stopped beating when I saw him slip into the booth with Emily in it.

    Oh Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son. No way in hell would Emily date a werewolf.

    Especially my brother! They fight, glare, hiss, and claw at each other every time they lock eyes! No way can she like him!
    I knew that they really were dating when he leaned over the table to kiss her cheek, and she looked away like she was embarrassed.

    But what hurts the most was the fact that she couldn’t tell me.

    7:45 P.M. (same day)…

    I had decided to go back to the Academy after I had pretty much stalked them during the first five minutes of their date. My heart seemed to ache from when I realized that Emily couldn’t tell me she was dating somebody.

    When I got back, I shot her a text that I had a bad case of PMS and would have to miss our movie. She offered to get some tampons as an apology accepted text.

    Staring up at the ceiling, I wondered how long they had been going out. It didn’t look too serious when I saw them, so not very long. Maybe a few months…

    Oh God. Emily has been dating him for the past three months and I didn’t even know it. Holy crap. What kind of best friend am I? Didn’t even know that my best friend was dating somebody.

    There was a sudden knock on the door, and I jumped before sitting up to see Emily walk in, who was back in her black mini-skirt and tank top. Her face had been removed of makeup and her hair was straighter. Oh she’s good.

    “Hey. Sorry about the PMS.” She said as she swung her leather purse onto the bed.

    “Nothing you should be sorry about. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you my period was coming.” I answer, watching her. The girl that had been on a date with my brother wasn’t the same girl that was before me now.

    “It’s okay. I rent us ‘Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Slayer.’ And I promise not to whimper or hiss at the actors.” She said, and I grinned.

    “Thanks.” I say. “Hey, can I ask you a question?”

    “Sure. Shoot.” She said as she dug through her purse for some mints.

    “Why couldn’t you tell me you were dating my brother?”

    She froze at that, and then faced me. For one moment her face was of an animal that had been cornered: scared. Then it was gone, and she plastered a fake smile on her face.

    “What are you talking about?” She asked, but her voice was a bit shaky. No human could’ve picked up on it, but I wasn’t human.

    “Today. You got dressed up and went to the Mexican place and met up with my brother there.” I say, and her eyes narrowed.   

    “What are you talking about? I’ve been wearing these clothes the entire time! You know I don’t wear makeup! And why would I meet up with your brother?” She asked, trying to feign innocence.

    “I never said anything about makeup.” I say slyly, and she realized her mistake.

    “I bet you cannot prove anything.” She said, and I got up and snatched the purse off her bed before she could stop me. Turning it upside down, I dumped its contents onto the cool tile floor. A wallet, sunglasses, a little tin box of mints, and a black dress and makeup all his the floor.

    “Really?” I ask, gesturing to the dress.

    “I…I’m sorry Yana. I was going to tell you but… I don’t know how. ‘Hey I’ve been dating your boyfriend for some time now’ doesn’t seem like the best way to go. Please forgive me.” She said, staring at me with her piercing eyes that pleaded forgiveness like a dog begging for table scraps.

    I’m a sucker for pleading-dog eyes.

    “Oh fine. Besides, how can I be mad at you for that? You got me a movie to watch!”

    “Awesome. I’ve been wanting to see this for a long time-

    “But I’m still a bit mad.” I cut her off, and she frowns.

    “Why?”    

    “You didn’t get me a taco!”



© 2013 Lilith


Author's Note

Lilith
Review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on October 10, 2013
Last Updated on October 10, 2013
Tags: fiction, romance, vampire, werewolf, secret


Author

Lilith
Lilith

Mobile, AL



About
I'm interesting. Very interesting. more..

Writing
Warren Warren

A Chapter by Lilith


Feral Feral

A Chapter by Lilith


Gold Gold

A Book by Lilith