I Spent Yesterday at the Funeral of a Sheet Cake

I Spent Yesterday at the Funeral of a Sheet Cake

A Story by LSS
"

I was washing dishes after Christmas, alone late at night, when I came to the pots and pans. One particular pan needed soaked, until I saw what was in it...

"

 

        I spent yesterday at the funeral of a sheet cake. 

It just lay there in repose in its sink coffin. 

Not a sound did it make as the cold tap began its relentless inundation of the remains. 

Slowly, inexorably, drop by drop I saw it interred. 

The swirls, and tiny bubbles that escaped as the cold water touched each piece and morsel, tugged at my heartstrings. 

There lying crossways in the bed was the knife used in its demise, surrounded by crumbs and the remains of a once beautifully decorated body. 

        No one else seemed to care that this grand cake was no more. 

Its high peaks and rippled swirling surface used to bring joy to the face of everyone it met. 

Where, now, were those past admirers? 

So too were gone those who despicably used and harmed it the greatest. 

Each one of them, taking a piece of its life until there was no more to give. 

How heartless and cruel a world it is where the passing of such a great among us can go unnoticed by so many. 

Tomorrow's reviews may make mention of its passing, so that by the time of the evening meal when everyone gathers, its name can be brought up. 

Then they'll lament, then they'll cry out loud, they'll finally miss the one who gave them so much pleasure.

        Now, its just me and my loneliness. 

I do miss it. It was I who placed my friend in its grave. 

It had been closer to me than a brother. 

What I would give to see him one last time. Oh, how we could have enjoyed that time together. 

Him and I sharing a glass of milk and saying our goodbyes. 

So long, old friend, I'll miss you!

 

12/04 L. Sherman                                   "Ode to Christmas re-Past"

© 2008 LSS


Author's Note

LSS
Is this not Poetic?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

MURDERER!...WASTEFUL MURDERER!!
How could you?
Yes, it is poetic, damn it!
And oh, the roller coaster of emotion!
The sorrow, then the joy, as we saw that lovely cake...then the pathos...dreaming of what might have been; heartbreaking, I tell you!

Wonderful job,LSS...if that IS your REAL name...

Posted 5 Years Ago


'I Spent Yesterday at the Funeral of a Sheet Cake'
LSS,
We put our hearts into our loved ones and our parties. We give our best efforts in cleaning and cooking and preparing for the moment when guests arrive. Your lovely cake, decorated with care and presented is a word to the effort it takes to preserve healthy relationships. This was a 'sweet' look at your cake and the meaning for you in those it fed. The ending was really nice too:'
"What I would give to see him one last time. Oh, how we could have
enjoyed that time together.
Him and I sharing a glass of milk and saying goodbyes.
so long, old friend, I'll miss you!"
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


I like your keen observations and personification of this poor, old cake. The best material for writing (in my humble opinion) comes from real life when we view it with a twist as you so aptly did in this piece. Nice job, Sharon

Posted 15 Years Ago


:) delicious!
sad that special good things have always to finish!

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
LOL funny....I almost feel sorry for it!! Great writing LL.....t

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2008
Last Updated on August 10, 2008

Author

LSS
LSS

Syracuse, NY



About
Some time ago, I decided to write a humorous short story to give my wife on our 25th anniversary. The words and illustrations seemed to flow from my memory and imagination, about those early days w.. more..

Writing
Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by LSS



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sirius Sirius

A Poem by Giulia King


Choices Choices

A Poem by JayG