Part 2

Part 2

A Chapter by Alix

 


           As the battle waged on, neither side gained on the other. The immortals murdered one another, only to be resurrected again. Painless, yet painful. Finally, an accord was formed between the two forces. Each side was to choose two. On the twenty-second day of the Harvest Moon, the four mortals would journey to the immortals realm. Each side would compete in a series of events. When the contest was over, the side that won would gain complete control of the castle of white, called Obsidian’s Castle.


 

 

From the Journal of the Princess Royal, Alexandra Elizabeth Swan

Eighth Day of the Wind Moon

The Grand Palace

Vienna, Rhea

 

            Seline arrived today an hour after her letter did. She rode through the portcullis with dust and horse sweat covering every inch of her. She seemed rather tired, although that was expected considering she had spent the last two nights in old inn beds. When she had gotten off her horse, she looked like an old woman hobbling about without a crutch.

            “Don’t ever try riding a horse for twelve hours straight,” she warned me when she hobbled her way across the cobblestones.

            “I don’t plan on that. Let us see about getting you a nice hot bath. Perhaps that will loosen your muscles a bit. Then we shall see about the fittings of your gown for the Festival,” I told her.

            “Ugh. I can’t wait to see that dress,” she said sarcastically.

            “Oh don’t be a pain Seline. It’ll be so much fun! Don’t ruin it for me. I want to see Seline Kai in a dress,” I informed her.

            “Aren’t I in one right now?” She said. As if I would let her go out in public wearing that ratty old thing!

“I meant one that will compliment your figure.”

“I was in a hurry,” she said.

“Oh, really? Now hurry up and get to your bath before it is cold. I had a maid specially bring you warm water for it.” She didn’t move.

“Seline, now!”

“Yes, ma’am.”

She turned and hobbled her way towards the castle. I sighed and turned to Jonathon and asked him if he could help Seline to her quarters. He relented and went over to Seline and picked her up as if he did it every day. The look Seline shot me over Jonathon’s shoulder was comical. She hated looking weak.

 

            While Seline bathed, I worked on the final touches of her dress before she tried them on.

            Half an hour later a knock jolted me out of my seat as I was adding the final stitch.

            “Come in.”

            Seline opened the door and stepped in. She closed the door softly behind her and walked towards me.

            “Okay, let me try it on,” she said as she neared my chair. She gasped.

            “Like it?” I asked her. She nodded.

            “Try it on,” I told her. She obeyed, for once.

             “It is rather tight at the waist. I think it needs to be a tad bigger,” She told me when she came out. She had grown slightly wider and I would have to make a few minor adjustments she had not noticed.

            “May I see your dress?” She asked. I went into my closet and pulled my dress out. It was pale pink with diamonds stitched to the bodice. It had taken me a week to make, partly because of the tiny details I had worked hard to make apparent.

            “It’s lovely, Alix. It’ll look great on you! You really have a way with clothes,” she said when she saw the gown, “I mean, your gown would look amazing on you but on me? That’s another story. The same goes for my gown. It looks great on me but I don’t think it would look that great on you. No offense or anything.”

            I laughed and asked her if she wanted to help me make adjustments to her dress or if she would rather a maid to do it. She made a face and looked at me as if she thought I was crazy.

            “Okay, I think I know your answer,” I told her. Relief dawned on her face. It was comical.

            “Go and do whatever you want and I’ll finish your dress. Perhaps you’ll want to visit your brother in the page’s wing?” I asked. She smiled and nodded.

 

Later

 

Dinner was eaten formally in the grand hall, so we could announce Seline to our court. After the announcements we sat down to eat. Pages came around serving our food. One page tripped on the steps to the high table where we were sitting and a big plate of spaghetti was flung into the air landing on my lap. I jumped up and shrieked when it landed.

            “I beg pardon your highness. Please, it was an accident. I didn’t mean to do it,” the page said.

            “What is your name?” I asked of him.

            “Kyle if it may please you your highness.”

            “Well then Kyle, I forgive your…uh…accident,” I told him. He bowed and walked shamefaced down the steps. Baylee rushed to me, holding a bunch of napkins in her hand and babbling on and on about how I should not have let him off the hook that easily.

            “Nothing to worry Baylee, I haven’t done any wrong and neither has he. It was only an accident,” I said but she just kept on about it, not stopping until I had excused myself from the table.

 

            By the time dinner was over, it was well past ten. Maude, my maid helped me undress. It was such a relief to get out of that corset. I pulled on my silk nightgown and sat down on my bed to read for a bit. A knock on the door interrupted me.

            “Come in,” I said as I hurriedly pulled on a robe over my shift. Seline quietly entered. We spent an hour discussing things we had not mentioned in the letters. Finally, the clock struck twelve and Seline got off my bed to leave.       


 From the Journal of Seline Kai,                    Eighth Day of the Wind Moon

The Grand Palace,

Vienna, Rhea. JXU29

 

Riding on Moonlight, I was enjoying the countryside. That is, until 12 hours later. I was still on Moonlight, feeling that familiar pain in my thighs that I felt for the past 2 days. I was beginning to regret wearing the dress. No, actually I had already begun regretting wearing it when I looked in the mirror. What an embarrassment! I was in a rush to get to Alix’s castle, however, and didn’t have the time to change. Thank the gods that Jonathan was not present at the time, as he would call me one of my hated nicknames—china doll. Ugh! My temper is boiling. Drat this damn dress! I had spoken that sentence rather loudly, and I was approaching Alix’s castle. Drat again. I really hope nobody noticed me sweating, uncomfortable, blushing, and swearing in a loud voice. Oh dear.

As I rode onto the portcullis of the castle, I saw Alix had kept her word and was waiting for me on it. Apparently she had not heard me swearing. Thank Dias. Breathing out a sigh of relief, I rather tiredly dropped down from Moonlight, who was remarkably patient. As a reward, I took a crab apple from my pocket (I had several in there for security purposes) and gave it to Moonlight to munch on.

As I walked toward Alix, I said to her, as a friendly greeting- “Don’t ever try riding a horse for twelve hours straight.”

She replied with an “I don’t plan on that,” and whistled for a hostler to take Moonlight to the stables. Then she said, “Perhaps that will loosen your muscles a bit. Then we shall see about the fittings of your gown for the Festival.”

 I groaned, “Ugh. I can’t wait to see that dress.”

She sighed. “Oh don’t be a pain Seline. It’ll be so much fun! Don’t ruin it for me. I want to see Seline Kai of Summerseas in a dress!”

“Aren’t I in one right now?”

“I meant one that will compliment your figure.”

I sighed. “I was in a hurry!”

“Oh, really? Now hurry up and get to your bath before it is cold. I had a maid specially bring you warm water for it.”

 I paused.

“Seline, now!”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“I’ll get your brother to help you walk.”

“Alix, I’m fine!”

 “Jonathan, come help Seline, please!” I shot Alix one of those you’re-not-doing-this-for-my-health-but-for-a-laugh looks, while Jonathan chuckled, picked me up (against my will), and started walking up to the castle.

I glared at him. “I hate you.”

He laughed again. “Well, you see, this was one of the few times you were weak enough for me to actually carry you. Enjoy it for once.”

I sighed. “Fine.”

 He rolled his eyes, “Always the stubborn little sister.”

Later, as I was in my bath, I heard Jonathan call from the outside the door, “I’m leaving!”

 “Good-bye,” I called back. I went back to scrubbing soap in my hair and rinsing repeatedly. I decided to test how long I could hold my breath underwater. As I went under, the water acted as a muffler, and all I could hear were the bubbles swirling to the surface.

When I got back up, I got dressed in my original dress, and went to Alix’s chambers. As I knocked on her door, I absently rummaged through my pockets. I suddenly noticed- where were the crab apples?! Jonathan! He will pay, later. Once I find an apple tree, he will receive some bruises that will be there ‘til his hair is snowy white. Very nice literacy on my part. As I walked into Alix’s room.

“Okay, let me try it on.”

 I noticed a dress on her lap. It was lavender, with lace at the bottom and a brown shroud covering it. I gasped. It was very finely stitched, possibly one of Alix’s finest works.

She smiled. “Like it?” I nodded. “Try it on.” I went into her dressing room and tried it on. Except for a little tightness in the waist, it was like a second skin on me. I came back, for once happy about a dress.

Alix smiled. “It is rather tight at the waist. I think it needs to be a tad bigger.” I told her. I asked if I could see her dress and she relented. It was  pink and beautiful.

It’s lovely, Alix. It’ll look great on you! You really have a way with clothes,” I told her. I stuttered over a few other sentences before she finally saved me from embarrassment.

“Would you like me to adjust the waist of your dress or would you rather one of the maids?” She asked of me. I stared at her, judging by her skills with needle and thread, would I even dare to let anyone else besides herself to work on my dress?!?

“Go and do whatever you want and I’ll finish your dress. Perhaps you’ll want to visit your brother in the page’s wing?” Alix asked me. I thought about my plan to kill him, and then nodded.

“I would like that very much.”

As I walked into the hallway, I thought, instead of crab apples, why not watermelons?

 Later

 

After “innocently visiting” my brother in the pages’ quarters, I decided to go visit the barracks, and look for Matthew. I wonder what he looked like, for I had only seen him once last year at a jousting festival. Did he remember the secret lessons that Alix had arranged that were going to take place in Alix’s chambers? Of course there was the possibility that he forgot—which is what most boys do. Then, there was the slim chance that he was an exception. No, he was probably a jock, just like the rest of them.

I went to the archery practice grounds, where many struggling youths were attempting to fire arrows into the small round target thirty paces away from where they were standing. I even saw Jonathan watching them. I felt sweet laughter welling up in my throat. One clumsy boy saw me trying to hide my laughter, and being the “dominant,” he challenged me. He even wasn’t enough of a gentleman to know you were not supposed to challenge young ladies of noble stature.

“Hey, stop laughing at me! I bet you can’t get fire into the target!” He challenged me.

Jonathan spoke up and said, “Beware, for my sister can out fire you in archery with a blindfold on.” Hearing this, the youth insisted a blindfold be tied onto my face. I accepted, and took his bow and arrow.  A cloth was tied around my head. I took a deep breath, stepped backwards, and launched an arrow. Thunk.

With the blindfold still on covering my eyes, I asked, “Did I hit the target?” Nobody answered.

Then I heard this chuckling. I pulled off the blindfold. It was Jonathan. “Life Lesson Number One— Never challenge my sister. Even worse would be to challenge my dear cousin, Princess Alexandra. She hasn’t shot an arrow that has not hit the center since she started.”

I looked at the target. Sure enough, an arrow shaft protruded from it. I walked away. I had almost forgotten to look for Matthew.

I found him on the castle lawn. He wearing nothing but a tunic. And trousers. If I didn’t add that in there, it would have been awkward… Well, look who was feeling confident! Usually squires around his age wear a load full of armor, so they don’t get impaled like Cook’s shish-kabobs. Hmm. Matthew and his opponent had walked to opposite sides of the lawn. They assumed the standard position. I looked up into the sky—it was shot with blood-red streaks. I would have to head back to the castle soon, or Alix and her worrisome mind would send an army of soldiers looking for me. Oh, bother. Might as well see how good that boy really is. There is obviously no point in me taking lessons from a nuisance. I sighed, and tucked a lock of black hair back behind my ear.

Meanwhile, the horses had begun to gallop toward each other. That’s when I noticed that Matthew did not carry a spear as was the custom. How strange. A shaft of the remaining sunlight shone on his belt, and I saw a glint of silver. It was a sword, and a very nicely forged one, too. As he unsheathed it, I saw and appreciated it.  It was the most beautiful sword I had ever seen. Along the blade, there was a pattern of flames etched into it, probably done by the master forger back at the castle. The hilt was made of something quite rare, indeed—polished ebony. I whistled, even though “proper” ladies don’t whistle (I really couldn’t care less). Now, to make a long story short- Matthew fought and won. How’s that? Ok, I admit he’s ok at fencing. Humph. And don’t even ask me if he’s cute. He’s only barely more hygienic than the others. Humph.

 

Later (again)

      

       At dinner, Alix’s mother and father welcomed me with wholeheartedness. Alix is right, her father is a little chubby! I wasn’t exactly all that shocked, though. Mind you, this is not considered treachery. I sat right next to Alix, and we discussed trivial politeness, such as “Enjoying the weather?”, and “I love your dress.” We waited patiently for our food to be brought by the pages. When I saw the plate of spaghetti in the air my eyes widened at the sight of meatballs ready to destroy Seline’s gown. “Seline, are you—”  Splat. I buried my head in my hands and groaned. Great. More delays from the kitchen as everyone crowds around her and worry about her dress. And a such a waste of perfectly good spaghetti.

 

       Later (again times two)

 

I knocked on Alix’s door. A quiet “Come in,” wafted through the wood. I turned the knob and headed in. We discussed more un-trivial manners, like the reaction of my brother, for example.

Alix immediately asked after I sat down, “Did you throw crab apples at him?” She knows me so well.

I replied with a straight face, “Watermelons are fantastic as weapons.” I couldn’t help it—I burst out laughing.

She laughed, her laughter sounding like tinkling bells. “You probably enjoyed that.

       After that discussion, Alix immediately went on to Matthew—Of course. I do not like him!  She just can’t accept that. I suppose she enjoys playing matchmaker very much.

       After an hour of discussing “my lover”, the clock struck 12. I bid Alix a not-so-nice-goodbye.

Why does everyone think I like him?!

 

 Seline Kai of Summerseas


 

From the journal of the Princess Royal, Alexandra Elizabeth Swan

The Grand Palace                        Tenth day of the Harvest Moon

Vienna, Rhea. JXU29

 

            The ball was spectacular! Everything was perfect. By time I had gotten back, I was so tired I couldn’t write.

            Yesterday began with a few mishaps. I was woken with a loud scream down the hall from my rooms. I grabbed my dressing robe, slipped it on, and ran to the door and peered outside. Lady Anne Marie was standing in the hall, clad only in a nightgown, with her hair on fire. Her maid, Saraynn, had a bucket of water in one hand and was trying to dump it on her mistress, but Lady Anne Marie kept backing away. Eventually, the flame had burned away all her hair and was burning her scalp. She ran towards Saraynn and dunked her head into the bucket of water. When she took the bucket off her head, all that remained was a few charred pieces of hair clinging to her scalp. Her head was bald and you could see the light of the candles bouncing off her head. She had obviously attempted to curl her hair without the help of a maid. No properly trained maid would burn her mistress’ hair.

            At around noon, Seline came to my rooms to proceed with the final fitting for her gown. I had widened the waist a few inches and added a hem of black lace to make it appear longer.

            When she came out of my dressing room, I went over to her.

            “It’s like…magic! I’ve never actually liked a gown this much before,” was what she told me.

            “Is there anything I need to fix?” I asked her.

            She just grinned and said, “No. Oh, Alix, I just love this gown!” and twirled around to prove her point. I smiled.

            “That reminds me, I have the perfect slippers to go with that gown. I had the castle shoe-maker make them yesterday before you arrived,” I told her. I went to my closet—which was bigger than my room—and grabbed a pair of slippers. They were made of the finest material money could buy. I handed the slippers to her and her mouth dropped open.

            “Are you sure?” she asked me, thinking I was lending them to her.

            “I had them made for you, Seline. Consider them a welcome present,” I told her.

 

Seline and I walked down the grand staircase together. The chandeliers were beautiful, the light bouncing off the crystals dangling from them. The crowd was loud and boisterous. Seline and I joined the daughter of the Earl of Canterbury, Lady Livonia in conversation.

            “Is the countryside at Summerseas beautiful, Lady Seline?” Lady Livonia asked of her.

            “Yes, it is very beautiful,” Seline replied.

            “Are there any…nice boys there?” Livonia asked slyly.

            Seline gasped, “I beg your pardon Lady Livonia?”

            “You heard what I said. Say, do you not think that page over yonder serving the fish is quite appealing?” Livonia asked. I glanced in the direction she proposed. There stood Mundane serving fish to the other nobles! I choked on my claret and spilled the red wine all over Livonia's white satin dress.

            Livonia gasped, “You insolate…” she remembered herself and said, “Your highness, I beg pardon to my rudeness.”

            Baylee had come to my recue and was clapping me on my back as I gasped for air—half choking, half laughing. Livonia stared at me in bewilderment while Seline stared at her handkerchief—which was embroidered with her initials—trying to stifle a laugh. Baylee led me away to the bathroom to regain my composure.

            When I came back to the ballroom, Seline was waltzing away in arms of the son of the duke of Bandits’ Cover—Lord Christopher the Younger. Seline looked at ease. Christopher whispered something in her ear and she laughed.

            By the end of the ball, we were both tired. I fell asleep before I even touched my bed.

 

            When I awoke, the sun was bright in the sky and someone was rapidly knocking upon my door. I slipped on my dressing robe and opened the door. There stood Seline, looking as if she had had too much sugar to begin her day. She was flapping a piece of paper excitedly.

            “The circus is coming to the village today! Let’s go!” Seline said, eagerly.

            “Okay, but wait while I dress,” I said, laughingly. I went back in my room and dressed quickly in simple peasant garments I had acquired last time Seline came to visit. I went back to my closet to look for Seline’s set of peasant clothes. I found them and took them to her. She took the garments and went into my closet to change while I put my hair in a bun, as was common among the peasantry. When Seline came out of my closet, we went to my bathroom and laid down the runes to open up a portal. Seline laid her hand in the center, as did I.

            “Urbs urbis,” we murmured. The center glowed green. I gathered up the runes and slipped them into the pocket of my apron.

            “Ready?” I asked Seline. She nodded and we laid one hand each on the glowing green tile and said the words that would take us to the village square.

            “Transporto,” we said in unison. The portal sucked us in and suddenly, we were standing in the center of the village square.

            “Let’s go!” Seline said. She grabbed my hand led me through the crowd. We first went to see the acrobats who did a great many tricks including cartwheels and back handsprings. When they finished, everyone was clapping. Before we left, I tossed a gold coin into the black hat lying on the ground before them. Soon after, we were standing in front of a tent with a sign above it that said Mistress Forlerner’s Fortunes.

            “Let’s go!” Seline whispered to me.

            “I’d rather not,” I whispered back.

            “It will be fun!” she said. In the end, I was once again on the losing side of the battle and found myself stepping hand-in-hand with Seline into Mistress Forlerner’s tent. The tent was much bigger than I had expected. A haunting voice led us to the door with a sign over it that read “Please wait in line for your turn.” When our turn had come, we stepped gingerly into the dark room and sat in the two purple chairs. Across the table from us sat a wizened woman with gnarled hands.

            “What can I do for you girls? Do you want a love potion? Palm readings? Do you wish me to tell you your past? Or perhaps your future?” she asked.

            “The future,” Seline said automatically.

            “Let me see your palms,” she said. We held out our hands to her as she studied them.

            “Interesting, very interesting,” she murmured.

            When she finally looked up at us, we awaited our verdict.

            “Your futures—,” All of a sudden she stopped abruptly what she was saying and her eyes rolled back in her head. She choked and her eyes came back into focus. But they looked strangely different, a brighter color than they had been moments earlier.

            She opened her mouth and spoke in a powerful manly voice that could not have been hers, “The setting sun will bring a close upon the world. The two of you are the chosen ones who will save us from the fate that looms above your world and that of the gods. On the twenty-second day of the Harvest Moon you will both journey to the immortals realm and compete against the mortals chosen by Orcus. The gods have spoken, now you will do what they wish.” 




© 2009 Alix


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like what you added and really got a chuckle out of Seline riding Moonlight for tewlve hours. Being born on a farm and quite familiar with horses I can appreciate her discomfort. Well done Alix this is some very good writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like these kind of stories, and this a superb write. Look forward to reading more of your work. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 18, 2008
Last Updated on January 2, 2009


Author

Alix
Alix

Kalamazoo, MI



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alix