Chapter 1: Show me another World, One far Away

Chapter 1: Show me another World, One far Away

A Chapter by Blackrose
"

the frst actual chappy, not completely edited, I must warn

"

 

The next morning passed with silence. Both Lydia and Riam frightened to talk about the previous night, scared that only bed could come of it.

Finishing braiding her hair, Lydia walked down the thin wooden staircase and into her mother’s room, where Riam had slept the previous night. “Riam?” She questioned him, hoping for an answer she knew would never come, “I need to go into the town to get something, so if anyone comes home please just tell them that that’s where I am, okay.”

Lydia forced a smile, but could not stop a teardrop from streaming down her face as she left for the stables outside of the house.

While Lydia’s family was not exactly rich, they had more than enough money to live off of. Her mom said that it was because of certain chance meetings, but Lydia knew better. In her time her mother was said to have been a great fighter. A mage of so great status that no enemy, Ra’Arcon or Feon, could even think of defeating her in battle. But that was not all, she was also said to be a powerful martial artist and sword fighter. While she had never actually seen any proof of her mother being such a magnificent adventurer and warrior, she had no doubt whatsoever in her mind that the legends were true.

‘But if those legends are in fact true,’ the girl though to herself sadly, ‘then what could have possibly happened to her?’ Sighing she walked into the stable door and found her horse, silently noting that her mother’s was still there.

“Oh Kearia, your so lucky that you’re a horse, you probably haven’t even noticed what’s going on. It’s just… It’s just that I’m so confused… I mean, what could have possibly happened, and what’s with Riam. I know that this may just be something small, but I can’t help but think that it isn’t, that it’s actually something huge. Something so large that I can’t even begin to imagine…” Untying her Kearia, Lydia jumped onto her horse and rode off, hoping that the wind on her face and the freedom of being on her beloved steed would allow her to forget all that had been happening to her of late.

Contrary to her mood it was actually a rather nice day, a rainbow shining out over the clouds, and the grass just wet enough to let off a beautiful sheen. The sky was a lovely blue, and almost cloudless.

Lydia sighed, breathing in the cool spring air, as Kearia catered around the large garden in the center of their small country. In her mind, Lydia silently confirmed that a ride had been a wonderful idea, and the perfect thing to do in order to forget the hell of the previous day. She laughed freely as the two partners continued their rounds around the fields.

“ Kearia,” She purred to the large painted horse, “we need to go to town now, let’s finish this later, k?” With a wink she steered the horse off of their previous track and towards the large town of Salim, the capital of Marin’Lam.

Marin’Lam was a huge city, in comparison to most of the ones that were seen in the world of Lacino, with buildings reaching all the way up to six stories high. In the center of the great city was the castle Carinlia. The castle was beautifully built with sculpted doors and ledges all over it. The stone that it was made out of was a pure white, making the castle stand out like a diamond through the overcrowded city. Marin’Lam was one of those places that just did not quite have enough room for everyone that lived in it, or wanted to live in it.

Within the city walls there were over a thousand houses, and almost fifty inns for the gargantuan amount of visitors that would come to see the cities ‘magnificence’ or trade there in the market which lie in the heart of the city. There were quite a bit of shops also, but with all the business that went on in the market, they were only really open full time, or bought from in the wintertime when no one would be traveling into the city. The market was a nice place, though. People there tended to always be happy and smiling. They’d joke around, as bards would tell stories of places they had been or heard of, and adventurers would talk about the many troubles of the world… somewhat…joyfully. She had always wondered how they could just sit around sipping their drinks and laughing as they talked about how a horde of goblins had been destroying, or even still were destroying, some innocent little village. Frankly she thought it was just sort of demented.

Today, on the other hand, while her ride had taken her mind off of things, this place certainly didn’t. The normalness of it just kind of bothered her. Sighing she went to her families stand, which was already set up. Tying up Kearia to one of the stakes nailed into the ground she got out their work for the week.

Since her family were both gardeners and carpenters-in the artistic sense, of course-they had a large amount of things to sell, and a lot of choices.

While she was still setting up a gruff voice called out her name. “ Hey Miss Lydia, you’re here early!! And where that mother of yours I have some business to discuss with her!”

Rolling her eyes Lydia stood up and glared at the man. He was a rather large stoutly man, but also obviously extremely strong, with a curly beard and dark graying hair. He wore a set of old worn clothes, making his job as a blacksmith only more obvious when looking at him.

“ Oh hello Gurt,” she said with a small smile, “ I just had to get out today. I don’t really know why but I’ve really been wanting to get out more and more lately. Oh, and about mom: have you seen her? She wasn’t there this mourning, I think she might’ve come here.”

The blacksmith’s brow crinkled in thought, “No, dear, sorry, but I haven’t seen her. You might wanna go and ask at Karina’s place though, she tends to know things like that.”

“ I’ll do that then.” She said smiling at the blacksmith as he traveled on to the other stands, “Thanks anyways though”

Lydia frowned. If Gurt didn’t know where she was then she probably hadn’t come in the town. But she would go ask Karina anyways; after all, there was always the slim chance that Gurt had just not heard about it…

So Karina hadn’t heard anything either, which meant that the odds were she had never came into town. Tired and now rather hungry she untied Kearia from where she had left her and headed home. It was late now, and the workday had been difficult. She wasn’t used to working alone, and any day when she did it was always hectic. This day had been even worse though, Lydia not exactly being in any remote working mood.

“You won’t find your answers here, girl.”

Lydia froze. Quickly she attempted in finding the owner of the voice.

“Don’t worry, don’t worry. I’m right here.” The voice said again, stepping out from its hiding place.

She quickly surveyed the man. He was a rather worn man, but also not to old, probably not older than his early twenties. He wore a dark brown cloak with a hood that was pulled down to reveal raven black hair and a roughly shave face. His black eyes looked up at her, seemingly amused at her obvious fright.

“I’m sorry sir,” She said, attempting to keep her composure, “but I’m not sure what you’re talking about.”

The man chuckled raising an eyebrow jokingly at her. “I’m sorry m’lady, but I was quite sure that I had found the right person… That is unless there is another Lydia Ecreal living in this city?”

She glared at him, or more accurately, glared at the oversized smirk on his face. “So first you whisper mysteriously, hiding in the shadows, and THEN you claim to know my name. To be blunt,” She said calmly not loosening her glare, “are you a stalker?”

At this the man burst out in laughter. “The likeness between you and your mother is amazing! At least in personality, that is.”

Still mildly laughing he gave her a low bow and then smiled up at her, “since I have been so fabulously outwitted, I have suppose I shall introduce myself. I am known as Korreth Nacrebar. I am an oh so humble adventurer from the town of Larim who is proud to say met your mother one day when traveling through this country.”

Lydia’s glare quickly darkened, although she really didn’t have a single thing to say to this man in a situation such as this. Not only was this man loud and rude but also very blunt. Korreth Nacrebar, as he called himself had been looking expectantly at her for an answer before Lydia finally was once again able to do more than just mouth words.

“So I understand that you met her and all of that but you still haven’t answered to things.” She looked at him coolly; she had a feeling that she had got him there.

But, of course he was still joking. “Ouch, harsh.” He said shaking his head at her.

Lydian, on the other hand just glared deeper daggers and continued, “Why were you following me, and what do you know about what’s been happening?”

“Something has been happening lately, oh dear girl, please tell me!”

“Urgh!” She half screeched at the man, she was getting quite fed up with his humor. It was almost as if he was just TRYING to make her kill him.

Gaining her composure she sat up straight on Kearia and glared down on him and started, “Look Korreth… whatever-”

“Just Korreth is fine, thank you.” He said smiling at her.

“Okay, Korreth, if you have something to tell me just get to it will you. It’s late and I should get back to Riam soon before he does something stupid.”

Sighing deeply, Korreth scratched his head embarrassingly, “Guess I had to get to this sometime. Do you mind if we talk about this someplace a little more… private?”

Understanding Lydia motioned for him to follow. Looking back at him she once again surveyed the perimeter, “Hey,” She inquired looking at him, “Do you have a horse?”

“A horse? No, sorry, but I can walk.”

Lydia sighed, “Sure you can walk, but will my Kearia?” She doubted that the painted horse would be willing to walk all the way back to her house after being tied up in the market all day long. Which reminded her…

“Do you have any other things with you, like in a inn room or something.”

He smiled before giving off another small version of one of his famous chuckles. “I’m surprised you even cared to ask. Nice to know you don’t hate me.”

At this she growled, pushing the man out of the way with her horse and walking down the street. “It’s called common courtesy,” she scoffed, “but I really doubt that you even know what that is.”

Korreth couldn’t help but crack up at that one. He had a feeling that this was going to be quite an interesting adventure.

Lydia collapsed on her bed exasperatingly. She couldn’t believe what Korreth and Riam had told her. It just couldn’t be possible. She thought back to what had happened earlier that night, in unbelief, hoping that there was some sign that what had happened might have been a joke, or some fluke.

“Riam!” Lydia called into the dark house,” I’m home, and I brought a friend!”

Korreth paused and looked at her, inquiring, “You mean Norriamre Katslin is here?”

Lydia turned to him, raising an eyebrow at him. “What are you so surprised about? He’s a family friend.”

Shaking her head, Lydia continued down the hall, subconsciously lighting the candles as she went. ‘Riam is probably still sleeping’ she hoped silently to herself. Memories of the precious night were flooding through her head, and she promised herself not to let them get to her.

Lydia opened her mother’s bedroom door, finding Riam standing at the window, staring out into the night. Lydia smiled softly at him, nothing could have added to her day better than seeing her old friend’s improvement as she did.

Glad to see your up,” she half whispered to him, walking over to where he stood, and laughing as he jumped at the noise.

The sandy blonde turned around to look at her, smiling softly. “Sorry,” He whispered, not used to the noise, “Did I scare you last night? I really didn’t mean to, you know it’s just that everything had happened so fast and-“

Shh, don’t worry, its all right. I understand.” Lydia smiled at him again, turning around to leave.

Oh, wait;” She said stopping mid step to once again look over at him, “Do you want any dinner? I’m going down to make some for a friend of mine-or my mother’s I should say-and me, so it wouldn’t be any trouble if you wanted some to!”

Riam shrugged his shoulders, “If a friend’s over I guess I shouldn’t be rude, might as well.”

Great! I’ll make something for you!” Lydia exclaimed, her joy clearly pronounced, before turning around to complete her trip out of the room. She had a good feeling about tonight, but then again Korreth had said that there was something urgent that he had to tell her…

And that was where it all had gone wrong, Lydia remembered. A bitter taste hung in her mouth as the pictures continued to play through her mind like a movie of the past. How could she ever have assumed that what Korreth had to say would be good news? It was urgent of COURSE it couldn’t be good. ‘Oh I was so stupid!’ Lydia thought to herself once again letting the memories take over her mind.

Hey, hotshot! What do you want for dinner?” Lydia yelled jokingly at the worn adventurer. Their kitchen may not have been too large, but it had enough storage space for them to be able to have an ample choice in what foods they could eat for any meal.

Korreth smiled at her, raising an eyebrow. “First you insult me, and next you volunteer to cook me dinner, and one of my choice too. Well don’t you just have your own shitload of multiple personalities?”

Why you!” Lydia said running down to him, putting her face in his, “Why you vulgar little son of a! If you act like that, then maybe I WON’T cook you dinner! How’s that?” At the end of the statement Lydia stuck her tongue out at him, winking respectively. Oh, he would get it now! And nothing anybody said or did could stop her as she slapped him hard across the face.

Korreth quickly raised is eyebrows in a way that said I-can’t-believe-you-actually-did-that-to-me, quickly slapping her lightly back. And so the fight continued, the two collapsing in a laughing mound of messy hair and slapping.

Hey, Liddy I-” But that was all Riam could say before his surprise cut him of, “What are you two doing!”

Shamelessly Korreth quickly got off from where he was currently on top of Lydia, where he had formally been trying to get the upper hand in their fight to the death. Quickly pulling back his long black hair into its ponytail, Korreth took a quick bow before introducing himself.

Ahem… I’m guessing that you are the Riam I’ve heard so much about?” He started, momentarily stopping to chuckle at the beet red teenage girl who was silently dusting herself off, “I am Korreth Nacrebar, a humble adventurer.”

Riam stared at the man’s outstretched hand uncertainly, glancing back to Lydia every now and then, before attempting to calmly say, “So you’ve heard of me, have you? Pleased to meet you than… Korreth.”

Once again Korreth chuckled lightly-it seems that he did that quite often. “Don’t worry, don’t worry. Everything that happened in this room tonight has been perfectly innocent. So you two live together, I see. Perhaps…”

Korreth!” Lydia half screeched at the man, “How dear you say that! Riam and I are just friends!! I said we are just friends!! Urgh!”

By the time she had finished, Korreth had exploded in joyous laughter. At this Riam let out a small smile. Korreth was exactly what this house needed right now, with everything weighing down on them. Pretty mush, right now, he couldn’t ask for any more.

Oh, Korreth, I almost forgot!” Lydia started looking at him, suddenly serious, “You had something to tell me?”

Korreth Nacrebar sighed hopelessly. He had been hoping to procrastinate on this as long as possible, but it seemed that time had finally caught up with him. “Yeah, actually I do. Actually it is something that Riam might know something about, if you know what I mean.”

Riam looked at Korreth, knowing what he was talking about, but still hoping with all of his heart that he was joking. So Korreth knew, I guess a Nacrebar coming her wasn’t just coincidence then. And even more, he knew how, or at least that, Riam was involved.

You see, it all really is very complicated…” Korreth started, all traces of laughter wiped from his face. “Lydia, do you remember when I had mentioned that I had previously met your mother.”

Yeah,” Lydia whispered, she had a bad feeling about this.

Well it was five years ago, yesterday, when I was even younger than you are now…”

Lydia shuddered. How had something so innocent turn into something so… odd? There was no need in here trying to remember the rest of what had happened though, THAT was still fresh in here mind.

Korreth’s story had been long, but it was anything but boring. He had gone on to explain how after he had met Aliciona (Lydia’s mother) a strange occurrence had taken place. By Korreth’s description, a large surge of energy had filled the room, which they were talking. It was strange… Not exactly a light, or the pure energy that an energizing spell would cast off. It was almost as if two somethings were being rubbed together so extremely hard that there was a break in the air of the universe.

After this surge eventually dissipated all that had been left were to beings. These beings were just like the humans that grew here. Although unlike the people Lydia knew they were dressed strangle, with clothing so tightly woven together that it seemed impossible to be made by hand.

One of the beings there was a woman, who looked rather young, but not too young, probably just in here mid or early thirties. Also with the women was a boy, who they thought must have been her son, or something similar. That boy had been Riam. And he, no they, were from a different world. From a world so completely different from theirs that it could only be thought of as from a different plane, another dimension of life that Lydia couldn’t imagine in the deepest of her dreams.

Riam had said that not to long after they arrived at Lydia’s house Katherine, whom Lydia had previously met as Riam’s mother, had died of a strange sickness. It just felt so strange to her, almost as if her whole life had been one giant lie. All these years Lydia had been led to believe that the only reason Riam and her mother had arrived so suddenly was because their town had been destroyed by a horde of goblins. That they had merely been forced to evacuate and had ended up here, penniless with nothing that was truly theirs.

Although that still hadn’t explained why there were the differences… Well until Riam had gotten his chance to explain, that is.

When people in Lacino were born they all harbored a certain amount of magical power. As people got older here they were taught to control their power so that, even as it grew, it would remain controlled. Riam, on the other hand, had not had any chance to learn to control his magical power. In his world, Riam had said, magic didn’t exist, or at least, even if it did, it was almost never strong enough to do anything or even be noticed. But something about Lacino mad the magical power in everybody stronger, which meant that all the power that Riam had previously held dormant was suddenly activated. The problem was, though that because Riam had not grown up here he was never raised to control that power, so when he DID come, there was no way to hold it back. All these years nothing had happened to stir his power. That is, nothing had happened until yesterday.

Korreth had thought that there was probably something about that day that made it’s magic more powerful. Riam’s power, being just soft enough to hold in had exploded at the time activating, or maybe even creating a warp hole to the other world. Or, that’s what they thought… They could never really be sure though, because uncontrolled magic power could do almost anything, for good or bad.

Once again Lydia sighed deeply, turning over in her bed. She had a feeling that the next couple of days were going to be very, very long.



© 2008 Blackrose


Author's Note

Blackrose
Just review pls, theres still 2 more written chaps tho, so dont tell me wat to do yet quite yet

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Added on October 24, 2008


Author

Blackrose
Blackrose

Mannheim, Germany



About
so yeah... nothing really to say here :P Im basically a writer and an artist-sadly for you guys, more of an artist, but I try with the writing part, and I like to think that every now and then I .. more..

Writing