Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by sgheath

Graduation from high school for Sharon Isley was just a stepping stone for her. She was done with school, but she wanted more. From the time she was a small girl, music was what made her happy. It was in her every thought. She got up singing and went to bed singing. Sharon had come from a musical background. Her grandfather was an old-time bluegrass musician who played anything that had strings on it, including an old foot-tub bass. Her grandmother would just sit back in her old oak rocker and stomp her feet to the music. There was a time when she played the old piano. Man could she make that thing talk. With age all things must come to an end and with age came arthritis, and the end of her time with the old ivories.

The strong father figure she grew up with was from a different era and could really toot on an old saxaphone, he loved The Beach Boys and early rock and roll. Her mother. like her grandmother, played piano and loved Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn. Guess that is where she got her interest in country music. She didn't pick it, it seemed to pick her.

By the time she was ten, Sharon was singing at school talent shows and dreaming of the big stage. When she turned fifteen, her father paid for vocal lessons for her. She could sing alright, but he wanted her to be perfect. Nothing was too good for daddy's little girl. Her parents were proud of her. At every event, she seemed to get better. Mother's hard fast rule was she had to finish high school, and so she did.

Saying good-by to her friends was hard, but she knew there were greater things ahead. And then there was also Robert, her longtime boyfriend. They had known each other since elementary school and now he was off to college and she was off to Nashville. As they stood next to her car on the campus grounds, he kissed her good-bye and wished her luck. She would miss him but she was more in love with the adventure ahead. She let go of Robert's hand and opened the door of her Honda and said good-bye to her childhood. Driving home, she knew life was about to change, she just didn't know then how much it would change. Pulling into the driveway, she waved at her younger brother Michael who was playing in the front yard, and walked into the house. Her mom was standing over the counter in the kitchen,rolling out biscuits just like her mother used to do. Sharon went up to her and kissed her on the cheek and skipped off to her room.

Ah privacy, she thought as she threw herself on her old antique bed. Would this be the last time she would have that. Privacy that is! What if she did make it big? So many questions running through her head. The excitement of the whole thing was overwhelming. OMG, what would she take with her? Scrambling from her bed, she ran her hands through the many clothes in her closet, one by one tossing things onto her bed. Too old, too short, she sorted them one by one in different piles on her bed.

Hours later, when she had finally finished packing, Sharon could hear her mother calling her to supper. Wow, she thought. This would be her last meal with her family for many months to come. She didn't realizewhen she made the decision to go, how hard it would be to actually leave.

"Sharon, supper. Come on down now". Her mom, Florence Isley, was very big on punctuality. If you can't get here on time, don't come at all she would say. She was in her mid thirties but still had the glow and energy of a much younger woman. Life had been good to her so far. Her brown hair bounced on her shoulders as she busily went about her work in the kitchen.

"Coming" Sharon shouted back to her. She picked up the large suitcase from her bed and threw it to the floor next to her door. Running down the stairs, she had to catch her breath before sitting down to the table.

Her mother was seated across from her, her brother Michael was seated to the left of her and her father, Richard was seated at the head of the table on her right. They grabbed each other's hand while her father gave the blessing. He was sometimes "long winded" but spoke from the heart. God had his own seat at their table and never went unnoticed. Everything was about tradition in her family. Typical southern baptist, prayer was a staple in her home. Meals, bedtime, and anytime her father felt the need. He rulled the Isley household with a firm, but loving hand. Had there been a pupit in their house, he would have had his own church and we liked it that way.

"What do you think it will be like there, Nashville that is". Sharon asked of her father.

"Well, I suspect it will be very busy there. Mind yourself that you don't mix with the wrong sort of folks. All kinds there I suspect. Big city. Road through there once. Those big cities just aren't for me. Too much noice, too much crime, too much of everything if you ask me. Are you sure this is what you want? That's an awful large city for such a young girl.

"I know PaPa. Don't worry, I'll be fine. Sharon patted his hand to reassure him. Her plans were to attend Vanderbuilt University while pursuing a career in music. She had been accepted there and her dorm room had been assigned. It was all so planned, but would it go that well. Only time would tell. Ironically, at that moment, a loud clang from the old mantel clock rang out. Even though she was very excited, in the back of her through was a lump of fear. She knew though if she didn't try now she might not get the opportunity later.

The creaking boards of the old house woke Sharon the next morning. Today was the day. The day her life would change forever. She sprang from her bed and thrashed clothes around until she found just the right outfit to wear. After she had showed, dressed and applied her makeup, she bounded down the stairs for breakfast.

"Morning Mom" she exclaimed as she hugged her Mom while she stood at the counter stirring pancake batter.

"Morning darling. Ready for your new adventure"

"Just a little more packing and I'll be off. I'll miss you Mom."

"You know you're breaking my heart don't you?"

"Awe Mom, you know I'll be OK and I'lll call you often.

"Shush, sit down and eat or breakfast."

Sharon sat down to the table and looked around the room, trying to remember every crook and cranny. It was quaint but familiar. She knew she was going to miss every room of the old house.

The rest of the family quickly appeared and settled in their chairs. They streatched their arms out and bowed their heads in prayer. The same ritual they had down all of Sharon's life. Their faith was a large part of their family life. When the prayer was over dishes began to clang and modest conversation was held over the morning meal. She suddenly realized it might be quite a while before she had prayer with her family again. Everything seemed to proceed in slow motion. She watched as her parents passed the dises of food back and forth and engaged in simple conversation with Michael and occassionaly addressing her. Already it was different.

The meal over, Sharon clambered up the stairs and started pulling down suitcases and bags and headed for the front door. She slung the door open and quickly walked to her car dragging her baggage behind her. Popping the trunk, she reached down to grab the suitcase when an unexpected hand grabbed it for her. It was Robert. She thought they had already said goodbye.

I wasn't expecting to see you

Well, I couldn't expect my best girl to get off without a kiss now could I. He leaned over and kissed her on the lips like it was the first time he had kissed her.

Now, you are just making this harder.

Nonsense, I'll get the rest of your bags, just lead the way.

Well, if you insist.

She watched Robert walk in front of her to the front door, wondering how long it would be before she would see him again. Would she be successful in her journey or end up right back here.... And Robert, would they remain close or would he go ahead and move on with his life without her. So many questions about her future. In her gut though, she knew it was what she was destined to do.

After Robert entered the front door, they reached for the same bag as their hands locked . He was the only relationship she had ever had. There were boys along the way, but there was only one Robert. He was the one thing that was constant in her life. Now she had to let go. He was taking it well, but what was he really feeling. Letting go of the bag, she kissed him on the cheek playfully.

Ok, lets get you on the road.

This time her family followed her out also. Her mother was holding back tears while her father gave a few last words of caution and wisdome. Her brother just tapped her on the head playfully, like he had done many times before.

I'll be home before you know it guys.

She climbed into the small sports car and fastened her seat belt. Tuning on the ignition, she was excited about the unknowns ahead. As she slowly backed out of the driveway, she was still waving at her family that stood like a picture from a postcard on the lawn. Home was just a spot in the road now. As she quickly sped pass things and places she was familar with, she wondered if they would still be the same six months from now for six years from now. How long will it really be before she returns. She couldn't think about that now. I-40 was her interstate of choice and the most direct to her destination. It was just Her, the car, and God. He was always her co-pilot and today was no different.

































© 2014 sgheath


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath