Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by sgheath

Sharon didn't need an alarm clock, she could smell breakfast cooking from nearby campers. Stumbling to her feet with touseled hair and sleepy eyes, she streatched and grabbed clothes, towels and bathing items and walked to the nereby bathhouse. There was noneone in the shower. Slaming the door behind her, she laid her items down on a nereby bench. Strpping out of her night shirth, she turned on the water and stepped into the shower. Not always sure of what was on the shower floor, she kept her flipflops on. The hot water poured over her slinder body. It wasn't long before she could here voice coming into the bathhouse. She got out of the shower, drapped herself in towels and quickly dressed. She put on blue jeans and a simple white sleeveless top. Scrambling to her feet, she slipped on sandles and packed away her dirty clothes. At the sink she shook out her long amber hair and put on her makeup for the day. She must have looked awkward with an overnight case in one hand, a linen bag throwed over her shoulder in the other.

Arriving back at the campsite, she could hear the rush of the water in the creek. Sharon stood for a short time just starring at it. There was a nereby trail. Yoga was her thing, but walking and hiking were also good exercise. Walking maybe a mile and a half, she decided to turn back. As beautiful as it was here she knew it was time to move on. She could get lost in the wilderness, the mountains, the stream, it was all captivating.

Having done this manly time, Sharon knew it would not take her long to get back on the road. She started pulling linens/blankets/pillows and such and threw them into a large linen bag. Suitcase, Pulling and tugging on the tent poles, it finally fell down so she could pull it apart. She folded it neatly and placed it back in the bag it came in along with the stakes and a small hammer. Grabbing the bag, she opened the trunk of her car and threw it in along with the linenes, suitcase and cooler. In a compartemnt in her car, she stashed her laptop . Beside her, a smaller cooler, purse, and a bag of snacks. She was ready now.

Turning on her GPS, she said a quick prayer and turned the ignition. At 65 degrees in this mountain air, she wasn't quite ready to take the top down. She pulled out of the campground and started back down Interstate 40. It was beautiful as the sun was climbing slowly in the eatern sky and warmed her back as she traveled west. With mountains on each side of her now and the elevation getting higher, she took her time going down the long winding mountain roads. It was still a good three to four hours to Nashville. She should be there by lunch time hopefully. The weather remained good. Each mile was different from the mile before. Each mountain was ttowered over the previous one. And the view from the higher elevations just kept her motivated to inch forward. Two hours down the road and just outside of Knoxville, she exited off to refuel and rest briefly. The long mountain climb around the ride was more stressful than she realized, but she did it. As she stepped out of her car, some cowboy gave a loud cat call to her as he stood pumping gas into his pickup truck. She flipped her hair around and continued into the conveninece store. Stopping for men was not on her agenda. Putting her credit card into the punp, she was remind of all the warnings her father had given her. After filling the car, she screwed the cap back on the tank, grabbed her receipt and proceded to put the top down on the car.

From her purse, Sharon grabbed a hair scrunchy and pulled her long auburn hair into a poney tail. She threw herself into the drivers' seat and turned the ignition. The purr of the small car was music to her hears. She paused only to text her Dad that she was alright and her location so they wouldn't worry. Pulling onto the interstate she was becoming excited that Nashville was so close. The land was flat now as the Smokey Mountains were quickly becoming a distant mirage in her rear view mirror.

Miles, upon miles of highway still layed between Sharon and Nashville. She couldn't wait to get settled into her dorm room. Her roomate had already emailed her with instructions on how to get to the campus. College, away from home, prospective jobs, such challenges lied ahead of her, but she was ready. The wind was blowing her long auburn hair and she was relaxed now. Crusin down the highway listening to country music on the radio, she was ready to settle down in the Capital of Country Music.

She was now just a short distance from Nashville, she could see the towering buildings in the distance. Traffic rushed past her on the four lane. Still, she proceeded forward folling now the instructions she had put into her GPS. She first wanted to see Music Row and then she would proceed to the University. Nashville was beautiful but different than what she expected. Artists stood in parking lots sining, on street corners and in front of record shops tring to cdraw a crowd. Was this how you started she wondered. There were record studios everywhere.

Following her new roomate's instructions, she drove directly to the university. Parking in the student parking area, she turned the ignition off and breathed a sigh of relief. She was here. Here in Nashville. And the University was awesome. Vanderbuilt juang rang with dignity. She dragged her suticase and the essentials to and climbed to the second floor dormitory. Miranda Thorton was her roomate. A firey red head and full of life, she was the direct opposite of Sharon. Apparantly She was some kind of piano genius. Sharon had texted Miranda and she met her at the tope of the secon floor stairs.

Well now, aren't you a sights

You must be Miranda

I would be and ou must be Sharon, looking kind of lost.

Well, not yet at least.

Here, let me give you a hand, Miranda grabbed a bag Sharon had trhown over her shoulder.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Ever been to Nashville before.

No, rearely ever been out of North Carolina

Well now, I'll just have to give you the big tour. She thew Sharon's bag on the bed opposite of hers. A small dresser was next to it.. I'm sure its been a long trip for you. Want to grab some supper and a beer? You can unpack later and tomorrow you can rest.

Well, I could use some down time.

Thought so. My car's just down the street.

They walked down the stairs and the short distance to Miranda's car. It was some kind of fancy sports car Sharon was not familiar with. Red, candy apple red a nice fit for Maranda. She knew all of the hot spots, the Blue Bird cafe, Wild Horse Saloon, you name it , she had been there. You wouldn't know to look at her that beneath that wild surface was a very creative and talented artist. The only problem with Maranda was she was not ready to take her music as serious as she should.

Sharon wanted to make a early night of it so she could unpack. The Blue Bird was good enough for her. It was a place she had heard about her entire life. This quaint little cafe had seen the start of a lot of music careers. It was open mic night. They ordered sandwiches and sat back and listened to upcoming and aspiring artists take their turn at the mic.

A middled aged waitress brought their sandwiches with a big smile on her face and sat them on the table. Maranda had gotten up to speak to a gentleman at the bar and was on her way back to the table. The music was great. Sharon felt more relaxed now. She was in Nashville, the city of her dreams. While she watched a young girl standing at the mic singing, she wandered if one day she would be there.

Ok chicky, it's time to get your feet wet!

What do you mean?

Maranda grabbed Sharon by the arm and dragged her to the stage. Sharon was shaking. She wasn't prepared for this. What would she sing. And then she thought of the perfect song. When her music begain, she started out slow. Would they like her or just boo her off the stage.

Go ahead Chicky, you have to start somewhere.

The music to the old song “Independence Day” started. It had been one of her favorites. She was nervous as she looked around the crowd. These were people she had to get to know. If she failed now, she would never get anywhere. She managed to get the notes out and sang with companssion but glad when the song was over. It was quite for a moment and then to her surprise they started clapping and holloring. They liked it. It was a beginning at least for now, a beginning.

Come on girl, now that you have broke the ice you can do it anywhere.

Maranda grabbed Sharon's arm dragged her to the front door. Sharon took a deep break as she exited the door.Maranda crancked up the little sports car and drove quickly to the next honkey tonk, Beach Bar. Sharon could sing any style of music so she fit in nicely. After an equally warm receiption there, they moved on to , Bobby's Idle Hour Tavern and The Commodore Grille. By the time they girls left the last dive, the bars were closing and they were both tired.

Come on girl, time to go home.

Really, I thought I was just getting warmed up.

Come on silly girl, you have a lot to learn about college life.

Sharon opened the door of the car and threw herself into the seat. She dosed off before they reached the apartment.

When Maranda turned into the driveway of their apartment, Sharon awoke when the car came to a sudden stop.

Come on roomie, morning comes early. She dragged Sharon by the hand and up the stairs.

The small bedroom was a welcome sight as Sharon threw herself on the bed. Just moments later she was fast asleep. In her mind were images of the night. She was singing, singing in a club! She had sang at church, at school, for her mother's bridge group, but never at a club. Even at school, she had always been so nervous to sing. But tonight, tonight was different. It seemed to flow out of her. It was almost too easy. She didn't just want to sing, she wanted to be the best. She wanted to learn everything she could about music.



© 2014 sgheath


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath