Four: Visitors

Four: Visitors

A Chapter by Gem
"

Part four of Allwyn and Juunikyu's tale

"

The silence sweeping over the forest was almost therapeutic as Allwyn watched her friend sleeping. She leant back against the tree and recalled the evenings events, the memories of Lunar and what he’d done to her and her family still burnt deep within her very existence and she knew there was very little she could do to put things right. It had been accepted that Allwyn needed to return to the Glade at some point but she knew it was not that point yet. Allwyn reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of parchment sealed with the royal crest. The night of the ceremony her mother had given Allwyn this very piece of parchment and told her to only open it when she was outside the Glade and was safe. Glancing about Allwyn felt as safe as she could be given the current situation and slowly pulled apart the wax holding the parchment closed. Looking down at her mother’s handwriting, Allwyn felt a warmth sweep over the clearing and the familiar scent of the Glade filled Allwyn’s mind and for a millisecond, she was home. Looking back to the parchment Allwyn began to read;

“Your father and I have faith in you Allwyn. We know you will only do what is right. If you are reading this then what your father and I suspected is true and Lunar was not who he said he was. Your father and I can only begin to imagine how you feel, and we want you to know, the Glade will always be your home and we know you had nothing to do with what has happened. A heart can be a difficult thing to control and you have learnt this very early in your life, but don’t let it stop you becoming who you are. The Glade awaits your safe return from wherever you may be when you read this, just be careful and stay safe.

Mum”

Allwyn looked down and reread the words in front of her. It was safe to go home! How long it would take and what may pave the way was still a mystery to Allwyn but now she knew she had to go back. If she didn’t, the changelings were sure to find her and that would spell disaster for her family. As she read the parchment over and over, dawn slowly crept over the forest.

It was a calm sunrise that greeted the pair that morning, the forest was calm and still, bringing a newfound sense of ease to Allwyn.

“Mornings!” Chirped Juunikyu from the tree stump where she was now sat. “You sleep at all last night?” She looked across at her friend knowing the answer as soon as she looked at Allwyns sleep deprived body. Dark circles were beginning to form under once bright eyes and her once curvy figure was beginning to suffer from life as a fugitive.

Allwyn forced a smile, “Good morning.” She pushed herself up and reached for her quiver. “So what do you want for breakfast?”

As the pair wandered through the forest, Allwyn considered her options. Go straight home? Or stay in hiding for a little longer? If only she knew what the changelings were planning, then she could plan her moves whilst keeping Juunikyu safe.

                     -***-

Deep in the forest four dark shadows were moving swiftly through the forest undergrowth. Clad in black and red the bounty hunters robes were easily identified. They had their orders, capture the elf. Leave no witnesses. Trained in cold blood these changelings had no qualms over killing the innocent.

Changeling bounty hunters were from the original revolution, seeded with hatred for the elvin royal family who forced them into exile and into their current situation. Lunar’s efforts, even if a failure, to infiltrate the elvin family had given the changelings leverage in their fight out of exile, and him being held hostage pulled things to their advantage. All they had to do was find the elf.

                    -***-

Allwyn and Juunikyu had found their way to a lake and had stopped to wash and gather food and water provisions. Allwyn looked over the calm, unbroken surface of the lake and yearned to be home. Nearby Juunikyu was frolicking at the edge of the lake, jumping on any creature that happened to tickle her feet. Allwyn giggled at her friends’ antics and wondered if things would change between them once they got to the Glade. Allwyn would have to resume her royal duties of course, but what of Juunikyu? She was as good as family now. Perhaps Juunikyu could be an ambassador. Allwyn’s thoughts were brutally cut short by an ear-piercing scream. She bolted round the edge of the water in the direction of the scream and was greeted by a hail of arrows.

“RUN!”

Allwyn tried in vain to get to her friend but the onslaught of arrows was too much.

“I’m the one you want leave her be! Juuni, head for home!”

Ignoring every instinct running through her body, Allwyn spun on her heel and ran into the forest behind her hoping the attackers would bite the bait and follow her.



© 2008 Gem


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ambushes are always fun. And you put the best friend at risk early, I like that too. And we also finally get a little more back story on the villains. However, that history confused me a little. I'm not sure how a failed attempt to infiltrate the family helps them (aside from maybe scarring the royal family a bit) and I'm not sure how Lunar being held captive helps them either. Even if they get Allwyn the most they can hope for is a return to status quo with a prisoner exchange.

I liked the letter too, but was left wondering why it took her so long to read it, wasn't she safe at the guild? I also found myself wondering just how long she's been gone. I didn't think it had been long, but now it feels as though it's been years. Perhaps it would work better to have her somehow just get the note? Or just find it hidden in her belongings? Just a thought.

I really like the sudden ambush and the threat. Most authors are afraid to put their characters into any real danger this early. Kudos.


Posted 14 Years Ago


Very well writen.
Keep up the good work and feel free to send me a request.
One!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008


Author

Gem
Gem

Cardiff, United Kingdom



About
I'm a 22 year-old undergraduate student in Cardiff, Wales. I'm studying Biomedical Science and use my writing as a vent for emotions and trials that occur through life. I like to explore the darker si.. more..

Writing
Little Voice Little Voice

A Poem by Gem