Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1: The Beginning

Chapter 1: The Beginning

A Chapter by Shadow

"Come on, get up!"
"Hurry, baby"

I open my eyes and see my mother. I quickly get up and start to dress as quickly as possible.

"Are they coming?"

"Yes. And  we need to hurry."

I get up and follow my mother down the stairs to find my father standing there. I smile when I see him, knowing that we will be safe. But then I see a man holding a gun to my father's head.

In the instant that I saw my father, he was gone. Crumpled onto the floor. Dead.

"Run!" I hear my mother scream. And as I turn towards her, she is no longer standing. Instead she is laying still at my feet.

The man walks upto me points the gun at me and then...

I shoot straight up in bed. I see the morning sunlight pouring into my room. Now I know I am safe. For now. I hear my mother laughing downstairs as she makes breakfast. I quickly get dressed and head downstairs to join my parents.

"Morning, honey."

"Hey."

"You have a bad dream again?"

"No. I was just hot last night."

She nods her head in that all-knowing mother kind of way. And I knew that she didn't believe me. 

In an effort to steer her attention away from me, I ask, "Where's dad?"

"Oh you know, the daily chores." She turns back to the kitchen stove without another word.

I knew what she ment. Dad was checking the alarms and traps that kept us safe from Seekers.

Dad comes in a little while later and sits down, just as Mom sets a plate of eggs, bacon and toast in front of him.

I see Dad look at me from the corner of my eye and just couldn't supress a smile.

"Hey son, mind passing me the salt?'

"Sure, Dad."

I concentrate digging deep inside me where I can feel that lump where my power was. And as soon as I have it I direct it towards the salt next to where Mom was still preparing our morning breakfast.

I lift the salt up, a little too vigourusly, and direct towards my Dad's open hand.

"Nicely done!" my Dad says beaming at me. "You're getting better at that."

"Are you done?"

My Dad and I look up to my mother looking at us, and she doesn't look happy.

"What have I said?" She looks at us with a stern expression, but then softens. "There is a time and place for that. And not first thing in the morning."

"But-" my Dad begins to say.

"No. We talked about this." She looks at the floor where I moved the salt across the room. "At least you didn't spill as much salt as last time. You're getting better, honey."

She smiles at me and then grabs her plate and sits down with us. She then smiles in a mischevous way, "Todd, would you mind putting the dishes in the sink?"

I smile the biggest grin, "Of course."

And almost like magic the pots and pans my mother used lift into the air and set down in the sink. All the while the sink fills with water then stops letting the dishes soak.


Back in my room I sit down at my desk and start tinkering with a new invention that I was trying to create. One that could only be activated telekinetically.

As I worked I started thinking back to how this all started. In a time when the government meant to put chemicals in the water, one in particular, a new drug that would heal anything. Cancer, wounds, even diseases. But it didn't work. Instead it causes a kind of mutation among pregnant mothers. Almost every baby was born with some sort of power. My parents didn't tell me much but what they did tell me was that the took the babies to an unknown destination. The public feared what these newborns going to grow to be, but they did'nt want the babies destroyed. So to keep control  a secret prison was created with it came a new drug. A drug meant to suppress whatever mutation we had. But my father was a scientist with the government. So he knew what was to happen and kept us hidden in a cabin that has been in the family for years. Only my father could leave to goto work. But my parents said that I could go to town soon. When I turned sixteen.

That was tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong. I am excited, but I am also afraid. What if I can't control it? What if I need to use it? These are questions that burned in my mind.

"Todd?"

I turn around to see my father.

"What's up?"

"Well I wanted to know if you are ready to practice?"

Everyday my father and I practice my telekinetic abilities. But I knew today was going to include, The Talk. Not the usual talk, the don't-use-your-powers talk.

"Sure."

"What are you working on?" Dad says as he walks closer to my desk.

I quickly throw a cover over my work.

"Not ready yet."

"Well what are you waiting for lets go outside."


© 2014 Shadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on June 23, 2014
Last Updated on June 23, 2014


Author

Shadow
Shadow

Nashville, TN



About
Just trying to see if my book is worth it. more..

Writing
Savior Savior

A Story by Shadow