Letter to a Soldier...

Letter to a Soldier...

A Poem by shallimarRose
"

Challenge was to write a letter to someone far away that you love and cannot be with.. I chose to go fiction and write as if my husband was a soldier in WWII...

"
I read a piece a little while ago called "Beyond the Blue" by Grace and Soul can't remember his name? (souladatease)..??
Anyway I was inspired to pull this oldie out that i wrote for a challenge back on Myspace years ago..

 

August twenty third, Nineteen hundred and forty-three

 

My dearest darling;

    

     I hope this letter finds you safe and well.  Though it seems like only yesterday it has been almost two months  since I watched you board the ship. I could see you on the deck with all the other soldiers. I found myself lost in a sea of other wives and mothers waving through their tears.  Did you see me waving from the dock?  My heart cried as I watched you shrink into the distance. I found myself missing you already as I walked back to the train station. Though oceans may come between us you will remain here in every beat of my heart.

    

     I wanted to tell you how sorry I was that I ruined our last few days together.   I was so ill that last week and have remained as such.  I was concerned that perhaps I was coming down with the typhoid and so I finally went to see Doc Logan yesterday.  Imagine my surprise when he told me I am with child.   Yes darling we are with going to have a baby.  I am so happy yet saddened that I must tell you this manner, in a letter.  I would have so loved to look into your sweet eyes with this most joyous news.   Our child will be born in early Spring when the calla lilies bloom in the garden.  If it is to be a girl I should like to name her Lilly if that is ok with you.  If it is a boy I think to name him after you my darling.  I have always loved the name Joshua, it just sounds so noble.

 

     Spring will be our second season since the planting of the the vegetable gardens. The weather has remained mild so far and I am hoping the winter will be a mild one as well.  I suspect I shall have to find someone to care for them in your absence.  The last of the leaves have finally fallen from the giant oak. that two will need caring after and the wood gathering as well as the other heavy chores. 

My priority of course will be to keep our child warm and safe within me. 

 

     I spoke to your mother yesterday, she and papa send their love to you.   She says your brother Gabriel turns 18 next month. She fears him leaving for the war as well.   I find myself too wishing it would all be over soon.  I know we are fighting for freedom but five years of fighting seem to me more than enough.  By the way, Ellie got notice last week, James was killed when his fighter plane went down over the Atlantic. It will be very hard on her with the seven children. I plan to stop by and see her as soon as I am well enough to travel.

 

     Well I guess that is all for now my darling.  Please be safe and remember how much I love you.  This baby within me growing bears witness to our undying love. 

 

     May god keep you safe in his bosom until you can return to my waiting arms.

with all my love until we meet again,

                    your loving wife Rebecca

                                                                  XOXOXO

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For more shallimarRose Poetry titles visit my table of contents in my blog...

 

Bits of Me...Table of Contents by title...

 

 

© 2013 shallimarRose


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG Rose, I feel like I just sat through a sad movie. Lucky I am not one to cry (sniff). This is hauntingly beauful and so very sad, .....but we never learn if he returned home. As always, your formatting enhances the experiences, the tradional spacing and the use of italics gives it the look and the feel of letters written by my mother in that same period.

Did you win that challenge?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

It was not a contest just a challenge to write a letter to someone far away that you loved and could.. read more



Reviews

It is often heartbreaking for one to tell such good news like having a baby in a letter instead of having the joy of telling their husband through a letter. Telling it through a letter is tougher because you can't show the emotion to prove the news, just to put the words on paper and let the other read it in a certain way that it hits that tender spot in their heart. It isn't easy to depart from the ones we love, especially if its the war they are headed to because no one can determine the outcome. If they come home or not. If their newborn son or daughter gets to finally meet and be held by their father. Experience the life with a full family. This was a very touching piece. Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Well thank you for coming to read hun and for your nice review. shallimarRose
A touching and lovely piece of fiction here. It really feels legit and makes you ache and feel the love. Such a outstanding piece of writing. thank you for sharing it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Eddie. shallimarRose
You actually made me cry here. I had to sit here, staring at the screen for a whole 5 minutes so I could actually write something. This is so beautiful and sad all at the same time. Did he return home? Or do we use our imagination? If we do, I say he did 'cause I like my happy endings but I know when it comes to the war not everything has a happy ending. The way you write just adds a lot more power to this write, too. OMG, I'm about to blubber again. Amazing.

xoxo

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

s y e

10 Years Ago

You can call me Sye, I guess. Or whatever you want. You can be like Frieda and have millions of name.. read more
shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Sye? thats very pretty.. I did see that in your profile.. Is it short for something? Rose
s y e

10 Years Ago

Thank you, and no it's not. :)
Such tender Beauty You pen here...the fragility of life and how it sweeps us up-longing for the ever-present touch we hold as belief in our beloved ones and the need for them...You captured this in poignant accuracy!!! so many real life touches sprinkled throught this--Amazing Write-Thank You for sharing this Rose :)
Funny too ...You put my real name within this Write-a bit uncommon...but heard a little more these days:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

."You put my real name within this Write-a bit uncommon..." I wanted to credit you with bing the ins.. read more
Souladareatease

10 Years Ago

hahaha VERY kind Rose :)
Thank You for sharing this Wonderful Write...I shall visit You again.. read more
Its as if it were written yesterday and not near seventy years ago, as the emotion in the words are so serene in detail regarding the heartfelt longing of hope her love will return home safe & well to proudly hold his newly born awaiting child !

Sadly though, many in such circumstances never returned !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you Tom... Yes so many did not return as we know and so many today still are called to arms an.. read more
OMG Rose, I feel like I just sat through a sad movie. Lucky I am not one to cry (sniff). This is hauntingly beauful and so very sad, .....but we never learn if he returned home. As always, your formatting enhances the experiences, the tradional spacing and the use of italics gives it the look and the feel of letters written by my mother in that same period.

Did you win that challenge?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

It was not a contest just a challenge to write a letter to someone far away that you loved and could.. read more
A lovely piece with so much emotion packed into this letter to her husband! I like the way you have made it seem so "now" with use of factors of life that we may identify with - the leaves falling, the spring flowers, the vegetable garden, mentioning his family, loss of another soldier but most of all the mention of their child. And your words are appropriate for the period - typhoid, the "victory" garden. It is evident how much she loves him!!
Very nice Rose!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Sheila thank you... I tried to make it sound in the times of the forties and at the same time Rele.. read more
I liked how this develops in the lines...you did well with each paragraph introduction and felt real and concrete in the lines of this one...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you... its nice to have positive feedback Glen.. I appreciate your Reading.. Rose
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

U r welcome...Rose...I'm glad I read this...I'm doing Dear GI Jane...right now and gives me inspirat.. read more
shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Very cool... send it to me when you are done... my rr are off now cause im so busy with mom..
This is so real, Rose. The emotions are tangible. A woman expecting a soldier's baby and praying her will make it home safely. Tears as he leaves, a friend killed with a plane goes down...chilling reality! The innocence of everyday news....the vegetable garden, the calla lillies...heavy sigh! Breathtaking emotions throughout this one, Rose. Stunning work! Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you Lydi.. xo Rose

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 2, 2013
Last Updated on September 15, 2013
Tags: soldier, war, love, WWII shallimarRose, poetry, letters, hope

Author

shallimarRose
shallimarRose

F W, WA



About
I am a singer, writer, poet, dreamer, believer..... I am an unconventional poet who has been writing rhyme since the age of five. I enjoy all styles of poetry. I write by ear not syllable count .. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by shallimarRose



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lemmings Lemmings

A Poem by Rita L. Sev