U Pick Apples

U Pick Apples

A Story by Shelley Warner

On Sundays, as I walk to church, I pass a yard with an enormous tree full of green apples; and on the fence, a sign invites people to help themselves to the bounty. I was tempted to pick some just because it was so thoughtful of the family who lives there to make the offer. But what would I do with them?  I could offer the excuse that I’ve raised my family and don’t do that much baking anymore. But that doesn’t hold up because now I’m raising my grandkids. The truth is, I simply don’t feel like baking anymore (except for cookies when my sweetheart John comes to visit).


There was a time a decade ago, when we rented a two story house in Boise, Idaho that bordered a fruit orchard with apples, peaches, grapes, and pears. The landlady next to us didn’t want the fruit, so I picked, sliced, prepared, and froze. At that time, my husband, Tom was alive  (he died later of natural causes, not food poisoning) so there were the two of us, plus my part time daughter (she was in college), plus my son and his wife and their young daughter and infant son.  I made apple dumplings, apple muffins, and a recipe called German apple pancakes. I sliced and froze peaches for cobbler, which was my favorite. As if that wasn’t enough, I accepted the offer from my landlady to grow a garden on her property. I grew pumpkins, tomatoes, squash, and peppers. I baked the pumpkin and used the gourd meat to make pumpkin pie filling, which joined the fruits in the freezer. I made homemade spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes and salsa with the tomatoes and peppers. I even grew a little Basil and made pesto.  I was quite the productive woman.


The years have gone by. Tom is gone. My daughter is married. My son and his wife went their separate ways. He has special needs and lives with his sister, and the grand kids have been with me for nine years. I have no desire to garden, pick fruit, and store away food.  I’d rather go on nature drives with my sweetie, take my little dog on walks and car rides, care for the grand kids, and help with the care of my mom. When I have spare time, it’s writing that I want to do. Plus pies are only $5 on Fridays at Safeway.


 So, thanks to the nice family for the offer of free apples, but I’ll pass.


© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great conversational share, as if we're sipping hot cocoa on a deck & feeling the autumn around us. I have the best garden I've ever had in my life precisely becuz there isn't "TOO MUCH!" like it often is with gardening. I live in wilderness, so there are millions of rodents & I grow everything above ground in tubs. That's why plants don't become overgrown, like a natural limiting factor. I seem to pick exactly what I need for each day, a wide variety of little nibbles. But I had no offspring & I do appreciate how moms & g-moms expend great gobs of energy on family-related sacrifice, so there must come a time when you can live selfishly *(as I've done all my childless spouseless life!) Always love your rambling honest authentic stories rich with imagery & details (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


I'm pretty sure I understand. You were doing all that to show love for your family. Things made with loving hands are always better than those from a factory, made by strangers. How nice it would be, I think, if there'd come a time when you'd feel the need to make that homemade pie again. You could still go on drives with your sweetie.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

LOL, yes I could still go on drives with my sweetie. I still may grow pumpkins sometime and make my .. read more
Such a neat glimpse into your life. A nice little story shared here.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Melinda.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2021
Last Updated on November 2, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marcella Marcella

A Poem by Neville