Baxter in the Back Seat

Baxter in the Back Seat

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Chapter four in the Loveable Baxter series

"
My boyfriend John has come from his home in Mossyrock, Washington, two hours away, to take me to his place for the weekend. I had offered to drive myself there but he said, “I’d prefer to come get you. Then I don’t have to worry about you.” Awww, he worries about me. And I prefer riding in his red ford truck, so I had agreed to the plan. It is a sunny warm day in April 2022. Baxter is riding in the back seat. We’re a little ways out of town when we see crows circling overhead. “I wonder if they’re behaving like vultures,” I say. I know that they take their job seriously to clean up dead animal bodies off the roads.
“I’ve heard they like to find pockets of air and glide on the currents,” he answers.
“So they’re wind surfers.” We both laugh.
In the back seat, Baxter wakes up. He paces back and forth, whimpering anxiously and looking out the windows. We pull into a recreational site in Kalama and walk him around. Luckily, I have packed a roll of green, biodegradable doggie poop bags and I break one off to pick up after him. We see families relaxing by the lake in the perfect seventy degree weather. Two small boys ride around on miniature bikes. “They’re so cute,” we agree. “I’d forgotten how little toddlers are,” I say.
Back on the road, Baxter sleeps peacefully for a while. Then he wakes up whimpering again. “We’re not there yet,” I tell him. He comes up front and rests on my lap. Then he sits up and starts to heave. I hold my hand under his mouth and catch a ball of regurgitated food. “Good catch!” I congratulate myself. John hands me a tissue and I wrap up the glob. I get a disinfectant wipe out of the center console and clean my hand.
We cross over Mayfield Lake and I assure Baxter that we’re almost there. We pull into John’s driveway and open the door for Baxter to jump out and run and play. He’s totally fine now. Baxter is glad that he’s shared an adventure with us in John’s red ford truck.
Epilogue: Baxter loves it at John's place. He runs all over the property barking merrily. The neighbors are far enough away that we don't have to tell him to be quiet. Beyond a tree line behind John's back yard, he sometimes ventures toward the yard of a big log cabin to bark at their dog; but he comes back when we shake the treat bag. Baxter thinks he owns John's neighborhood.

© 2023 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When I was little, I suffered greatly from car sickness, so I can relate to Baxter. All that motion and not being able to see out very well--yeah, that can make you woozy. I love how you always make simple things so interesting.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you Samuel. I appreciate the affirmation.
Pups are like people. They have their moods and days. I enjoyed reading the story. I no longer have any pets but I once had the best dog ever. I miss him. He was always up for a road trip or a walk and sometimes he'd bring me his leash to let me know he wanted to go outside. He slept under my bed most of the time. Thanks for sharing the story.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thanks for the revew Fabian. I bet you miss your dog.
Hello Shelley, sounds to me that Baxter doesn’t travel too well. Anxious until he’s arrived at his destination and then he settles in fine to enjoy the fun. Your Baxter Shelley reminds me of me. I don’t travel too well either. However, when I’ve arrived, that is a different story. Have a good day.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Actually, Baxter loves car rides and rides in John's truck. That was out of the ordinary for him tha.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

I like to be driven too Shelley. Good to hear Baxter likes his travels most days. Happy adventures.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 21, 2023
Last Updated on February 21, 2023

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..