Eggplant Puzzle

Eggplant Puzzle

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

A Story of Teamwork

"

Eggplant Puzzle

John and I start on a one-thousand piece puzzle. We’re used to five hundred pieces. Over the last couple years, we’d built a Coca-Cola puzzle, a glacier, and our latest�"a lovely round scene of birds, butterflies, and flowers, given to me by my daughter. We stare at the thousand pieces. How could we do this?

“If I can get the border done, we’ll have a start,” John says.

“I’ll start sorting,” I suggested. I’m good at sorting and John is good at fitting the pieces together.

Soon I have a pile of white border edges and John starts working while I sort more�"a yellow pile, a green pile, white with light brown lines (those would build on the border on all four sides), a pink pile, an orange pile.

And there were pieces with tiny print identifying varieties of eggplants. I thought all eggplants were purple, the kind I slice and dip into flour, then egg, then Italian bread crumbs before frying in olive oil. But no there’s an orange bell-shaped one. There’s a long green one. There’s a cluster of yellow banana-shaped ones.

John’s table could seat ten; it’s a long wooden table that he built years ago. But now we barely have room to eat; it is covered with our project. Little by little, we fit the border together, John on one side and me on the other. I earn steps on my smart watch from getting up to work on different sections. On my side, I see a hint of green inside the border. I look through the green pile and find some shapes that work. “Look John, I found some pieces of the long green eggplant,” I say.

“Good for you,” he says, smiling. I glow inside. His praise warms my heart, even when it’s just for fitting puzzle pieces together.

He describes a shape he needs and my eyes light upon a possibility. “Is this the one?” I ask, handing it to him. He fits it neatly into its space.

 “Sure is,” he smiles.

“We make a good team,” I say. And we are a team. He thoughtfully and lovingly anticipates my needs, even setting out my spare pair of slippers when I come to visit. I like to cook meals that work with his dietary needs and eating preferences. He plans nice nature drives for Zach and me in his red ford truck.

And we make each other laugh. On our most recent drive, we stop at a viewpoint in Salkum, Washington to take pictures in front of a dam. I put my arms around his neck, indicating that I want a kiss. “But there’s a truck and a car parked here and people can see us,” he says as his lips touch mine.

“They’re happy for us,” I murmur into the kiss. We burst out laughing as we pull apart.

We are a team.

© 2023 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A couple or friends who can do a 1000 piece puzzle together. They will joy and happiness. I did enjoy the story Shelley. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Months Ago


Shelley Warner

12 Months Ago

Thank you Coyote, it still sits spread out on his table waiting for my next visit. Sometimes he come.. read more
I love the happiness and warmth that this exudes. I'm so pleased to see others happy and involved in relationships that are beneficial to their mental and emotional health. It sounds like you certainly have a "keeper" there.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

12 Months Ago

Thank you. Yes, it is a very special relationship. And yes, he's a keeper.
This is a relationship with heart and laughter. Has such a wonderful feel, like an invitation to sit watching, each comfortable and sincere in whatever doing - the puzzle, the drive, the hug,.. the just being together. To share a jigsaw puzzle for a start really is like a rallying cry before a gentle scuffle! Each person being, as you are able to, either sorting or placing. How perfect is that! Would imagine this is true rather than make-believe.. If the latter, please don't tell me!!! A magically different theme plus a ppicture of two happy peope. Keep safe, take care :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you Emmajoy. Yes, it is true and is part of a book that I plan to self publish. John was my fi.. read more
emmajoygreen

1 Year Ago

My goodness, what a wonderful, wonderful start to an ending that might have been so different. Twic.. read more
Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you Emmajoy, it's been nice talking to you. Take care.
Nice when a couple can do such fun but challenging things together, so sweet of your daughter to give you a puzzle, great way to prevent mind stagnation as old age comes on. Kudos for a fab heartwarming poem of a couple doing teamwork team play.

Plz also read and comment my newest poem too, my highlighted topmost one.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your nice review. I'll go to your page now and read your poem.
Team work with encouragement. I admire your patience Shelley with a 1000 piece puzzle. I attempted one on my own and didn’t get further than the border. Being considerate. Doing things fior each other and appreciating each other. This is all about togetherness. I love your posted pic of the pair of you happy and smiling.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you Chris. Yeah the pieces remain on John's table. He's put together a few but it will be awhi.. read more
You both exhibit a greater patience than I. Can't imagine spending even a minute trying to piece together a puzzle with so many pieces in it. But as I think such an act speaks to love itself. It takes time and partnership to accomplish such goals that many would think was mundane. Not seeing that beyond the exercise there is a profound and undeniable unity at work here. Love the message of this story. Wonderful work Shelley.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

Thank you Carlos. I like your words: "...there is a prodound and undeniable unity at work here."

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2023
Last Updated on February 25, 2023

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Perhaps... Perhaps...

A Poem by Gee