Perhaps...

Perhaps...

A Poem by Gee
"

A daughters death a mothers Alzheimer's

"
Perhaps the mother the "lucky" one,
lucky now having no memory of the daughter
that she blessed us all with,
as her memories are erased,
her mind deleting
minute by minute
hour by hour
day by day
until each and everyone of us a stranger
as she descends into adult infancy,
barely living but alive,
alive though without the pain of a child now gone.
I ask myself what would be worse,
to live and remember
or to exist without heartbreak,
perhaps neither...






© 2022 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
For those of you that have visited before Deb passed last August, of which I have written a couple of bits about. Since then her mother, Rose, has had a rapid decline into Alzheimer's,
having little or no memory of the 80+ years of a life lived to the full.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another read here Gee. How are you my friend? All quiet from you at the moment. I hope you are ok and your family are well. Miss you on the forum.

Chris

Posted 11 Months Ago


Gee

11 Months Ago

Hi Christine, hope you are keeping well. Will start visiting again soon... hopefully.
Thank y.. read more
That word ' Alzheimer's strikes every horror and fear button. Have known disease and illness in birth family and friends, also via the Helpline.. so many fears these days, spoken about or silently hidden. Life is cruel. That awful illness was told me almost incidentally when I asked a friend I'd not seen for a while, how her mother was.. she told mie this and that, then said. ' Em. I wish I could have my mum back'. It was said at the end of a summer fete, a happy time, but we stood hugging each other, crying. That one sentence nudges me to thank you for sharing your gently and finely written poem, Gee.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

11 Months Ago

Hi Emmaj, thank you
This is so heart wrenching and palpable. I watched my mother battle with dementia in her final declining years. She would try to grasp at things and people with her mind that were beyond her. And then there would be moments of crystal lucidity but in another time. She would revert to being a little girl again talking to her grandfather or people who had long ago passed away. I treasured those moments of clarity even though they were illusion because I got to glimpse a portion of her heart and soul that no other was privy to. I got to time travel with her into a past time long before I was born. Alzheimer's is a terrible, destructive and fatal disease that robs the mind of everything. To me, that would be a fate worse than death. But the wanderings of dementia aren't quite so oblivious. Mother passed away in 2011 at 82 years but I was her primary caregiver until she passed. It was an intense labor of love but I have no regrets.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

11 Months Ago

So sorry for such a late thank you. Hope you are well.
"...perhaps neither." That's a hard one to answer, Gordon. May I never know.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

I too hope you are never in a position like that.
Thank you Kelly
Having experienced both those conditions. Daughter loss and mothers alzheimers. I really feel this. Not only because of that but because it calls out.
Both eventually didn't have a life. If that is not too cruel a thing to say. My daughter was 29 and had her birthday on the same day as me, 23rd December and my mother in law was in her eighties and had no life for a record breaking eighteen years and also had her birthday on the same day as me 23rd December.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

To loss of a child is every parents worst nightmare and I am so, so sorry for your loss Ken.
.. read more
Ken Simm.

1 Year Ago

No worries my friend.
I used to work in a long term care facility and saw many dementia patients there. The progression is as you describe it, memories "deleting," loved ones unrecognized, totally dependent on others for care. It is a fate none of us would want, yet the questions posed at the end are valid ones. Which is preferable, obliviousness without pain, or alertness with the attendant heartbreak. It's a question I hope I never have to ask myself.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

You and me bith.
Thank you JTB
My mother is 93, and as clear headed as she was years ago. She has trouble accessing some of her short-term memory, but this is completely normal. I am daily thankful for this, even if it means she lives with the grief of losing my brother. To be a prisoner in her mind...unaware of the world around here and not remembering her loved ones would be a tragedy. I ask for God's blessings on your family as you deal with such a difficult condition. And thank you for your heartfelt words. Sometimes poetry is the best therapy.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Zoe. Long may your mother live :))
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
M
I would say, neither. Grief is terrible and kills the soul but losing one's mind and memories is just as terrible. Tragedy seems to touch many people I have read here so far and it influences their words strongly. I hope she can at least live out her days in comfort and without pain. Sad poetry to read, Gee.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Grief, death, for me anyways, dozens poetry that seems more "worthwhile" perhaps because I can expre.. read more
I believe my friend. We need our memories.
"to live and remember
or to exist without heartbreak,
perhaps neither..."
The heartbreak does become less painful and the good days. They will make us smile. Hello Gee and thank you for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Coyote
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome my friend and Happy New year.
Gee

1 Year Ago

Happy New year my friend, here's hoping 2023 is both happy and healthy
Living with the pain of a child lost forever is unthinkably heartbreaking but to sink into nothingness, to lose one's essence, one's mind and exist without existing is perhaps, even sadder.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Divya

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2022
Last Updated on June 4, 2022
Tags: Love, loss

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Gone now... Gone now...

A Poem by Gee


Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..