Smoked Out

Smoked Out

A Poem by Floating on the feathers of a dandelion

 

 

It is black beyond the wooden frame,

Yes, it’s black not dark,

It seems so for ages now,

Well,

May be I missed on the sun or perhaps the sun missed me out,

But I had been here all along, gazing out.

 

And it’s smoky white inside this smothering structure,

White, angelic white,

The vision is blurred.

 

But past the smoke,

I see a red though; it’s my 59th smouldering cigarette,

It’s burnt till the butt, and the tip of my lips,

But it doesn’t burn,

I want to suck in till the last cannabis burns,

And make the bitter smoke linger forever.

 

I feel so light,

Am I high?

Perhaps

This addiction is not good, I do know.

But I am not addicted; the pain is addicted, it’s my foe.

Inflicting pain, with every moment.

 

Hmmm…. I stub the butt somewhere.

Now, I need more.

I fumble for the pack,

But I have no-more.

 

Goddamn it.

How do I fight the pain now?

Die I might, if I’m not high

 

Let me deceit my-self for sometime more,

And play the happy-man without cigarette any-more.

 

 

© 2008 Floating on the feathers of a dandelion


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought the intimacy of the piece was its most appealing feature. i could feel you thinking as you smoked, weighing things up. I assumed the first verse was about your personal outlook. Tis sad to be in the black emotionlly, but the description is very effective, if I have read it right. More broadly, I have often watched smokers -- now reduced to standing outside buildings in London -- and they seem to have a look of great introspection often, i presume as their bodies are focussing on the hit, the relaxation, or the brief moment of escape. There is also a strange romance about smoking, a cavalier hedonism. On the other hand it is an evil thing. I dunno much about getting high as I can't be bothered any more. A mocha and half an hour reading in a quiet cafe is all the high I seem to need now. The poem also reminded me very strongly of my father smoking -- untipped Capstan Full Strength. He even used to re-roll the stumps. Can you imagine the tar concentration? You can imagine how things ended for him. I should add I smoked myself when i was 18-24. Sod it, just quit! Poem works really well, very evocative. Got me thinking that for sure.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

oh i liked this very much. so poetic in your verses. this was well written. well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


lol. I may be the only person whose surgeon told him to smoke. He asked did I smoke, my reply was " Cancer causes smoking," It is both a good thing and a bad thing when your doctor tells you to continue smoking. I just become outraged at people who sue. I knew when I was 12, the smoking was bad, back in 1955. We called them coffen nail even then. I liked this piece. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't like smoking much. Although I agree about changing your feelings in life I want to have the hurt here and now and be able to respond to it. I admit I drink a lot of wine sometimes for a high that quickly leads to depression but I know whats coming so I can control myself. Smoking anything I never know when I start to feel bad then I can't get rid of that intensity of awful feeling.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Sometimes it's more comfortable to live with pain than an empty existence.

Well written.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

God this is so true.. We all know it not good.. yet the pain that gives is worth it.. I love that pain.. Nice stuff.. I love it :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ah
this is really good, im just gonna point out a couple misspelled words though, line 5 first stanza, u should say maybe, line 4 in stanza 3, u should say its burnt to the butt.... i really like the line where u say ur not addicted, but the pain is, i really like that a ton... keep writing, its good, thanks for sharing

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I love how the pain is addicted.
This is really a fine piece. strong and honest.
There is passion in your work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is well put together, but suffers in a couple places from grammatical issues. I'll give you some "notes." (It will say "6 notes" or something like that to the right of the review - about ten minutes or so after I'm done writing it.)

It's a dark piece, but I like its honesty. Again, it's not clear what you are smoking.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A convincing glimpse into the thoughts of someone wrestling with their demons...well done

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting piece...the ending tied it all together for me. One question, are you smoking ciggies laced with mary jane?

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Floating on the feathers of a dandelion
Floating on the feathers of a dandelion

Underneath blueeeeeeeeee sky, India



About
Hmmm.... About me ?!?!? I am what i would have wanted myself to be, i am a butterfly when i want to tickle the flowers, i am a bird when i want to compete with the flecks of cotton, i am the river whe.. more..

Writing