Chapter 1 : The Key.

Chapter 1 : The Key.

A Chapter by Shivi
"

Help comes when you least expect it.

"

It was a gloomy day outside with heavy rain. At 10:30 am, there were very few people  on the street. Alert across the city had already been anounced and people are warned from stepping out. Or, it was just Sonia's feeling when she was travelling in the bus from her college towards her high school.The rain is that bad she thought to herself. It was a peaceful city called Panaha, located in the middle of mountains towards eastern Europe. She was going to meet her brother who called her today morning to see him at their old high school. She wondered why he called suddenly after an year. 


"What do you know abt my Secret"? Asks Sonia when Clive told her he wants to help her with what she is going through.


"Look Sonia, I know what you turn into sometimes and I understand your pain and your dilemmas. I called you because I happen to know a place that has some answers for you. Please trust me".


Even though she was not sure, she agreed to meet him at the high school before noon. Atleast there was some hope for her.


**********************************************************************************************************


Sonia Frances, was a 19 year old student pursuing paranormal sciences and human behavior at Panaha University. Her brother, Clive Byrne, 22 always seemed mysterious to her. May be that's why she took up human behavior study, because her brother was such a closed book and growing up watching him that way , she had to rip him apart. But instead she was running away from him. She laughed at the irony. In fact, they never got along that well as Clive wouldn't let himself free in front of her. They spoke rarely, only time being when they met each other at their parents place on certain occasions. Clive is a soft spoken guy who keeps to himself. He is very reserved and likes to give short answers to any questions asked. Sonia hated that. He never knew what he wanted to become in his life, but he didn't stop searching. She wondered if he is into any wrong doings - like drugs or black magic. The thought itself shuddered her. Clive never liked anything that belonged to his father and so he changed his name after watching a sci-fi thriller. There was a row at the house when he made his last name official, but now it seems like everyone has come to terms with it. And moreover, Clive is a much better name than Alexandre, she thought. 


    One look at Sonia, you'd never think her life is complicated. She has a great face, flawless skin, perfect cheekbones, and rosy lips. Even the best sheer glow foundations in the market wouldn't be able to give a glow she had on her face. She has a chic style that cooperates with her ultra slim figure. With long brown hair and bangs in the front, Sonia looked nothing less than a successful model. But if looked at carefully, one would see that those rosy lips never turned into a broader smile. Not these days atleast. May be that's what Clive knew.

   Sonia came out of her day dreaming, got down the bus at her high school and walked towards Clive who stood under the banyan tree infront of their school. Ah, the banyan trees she thought to herself. It was their school's trademark. They planted too many banyan trees around. She wondered if she should give him a hug, but instead they settled for smiles. Quickly to cut the awkwardness in the air, Sonia says  " So howz it going with you? How come you called me here. Tell me what you know about me. Are you spying on me? Why are you so curious about me and my life? "  Phew, too many questions, thinks Clive. 

"Sonia, just calm down. I'm not spying on you. I just happen to know what you are going through. Will give you the details later, but we have no time now. Let's go to the place where I wanted to take you."

"Well, what's in there?. It'd better be good".

"It is. It has the key!".

Sonia didn't get a word of what he said. But her instincts were with Clive. So she followed.


**********************************************************************************************************


They hired a taxi and Clive ordered the driver to go to the Mason street. Sonia frowned and asked " Mason Street?? That's where lot of antique shops are put up. Why are we going there"? 


"It's the worth the wait, sister!" . She felt wierd at the way he addressed her. At some level, they didn't share a bond. Relaxing a bit, she started to observe Clive. She didn't get a chance to notice him this close ever. He seemed all worn-out and weak. The charm he once had slowly started to make it's way out. He looked sick. A sharp pain churned her stomach looking at her brother this way. She thought she could help him but she wanted to get out of her problems first.  They got down at Mason street and went into an old house across the road. The house was situated at a level and one has to climb up a few stairs that lead to a large verandah lined up with oak trees on both sides. The grill doors and windows made her think if it's safe here but it looked like no one  really lived in there except for an old woman who generally stays in the hall. She has just two pairs of clothes and a rusted iron bed. She makes her living by renting the other rooms to foreigners. Clive took her around the house to the backyard. There were stairs that led to a wall like mountain and on to the left there was a small hut. Sonia was worried, partly because she thought her brother was mad and partly because she didn't want to get disappointed. 

  An old man opened the door and let them in. "So she is the one you were talking about" he said to Clive looking at Sonia.

She was surprised. What was Clive doing behind her back. It all seemed like a tough riddle.  "Yes, she is the one. Now could you please start the process?" 

"Sure".

"Miss, would you please come inside the circle I drew over there?"

"Wait a minute. Clive, what is going on here? Madness? Who is he? What are you trying to do to me?"

"You always ask too many questions Sonia. Could you just follow his instructions for a few minutes? I bet you, it's  worth the wait."

"And I assure you, I mean no harm"  the old man says sensing her fears.


Sonia enters the circle and starts feeling much lighter. The old man tells her to close her eyes and relax her muscles. He starts drawing some symbols in the air and keeps blessing her head with every symbol three times. Finally he draws a symbol on her face and asks her to slowly open her eyes. 


"Now, please pick up one of them dear". He displays different kinds of small, long metal plates - iron, magnesium, gold and silver. 

"And please choose one that appeals to you the most now. Remember, don't think. Just choose" .  Sonia takes a look and picks up the gold plate and hands it over to the old man. The man goes inside and comes out in a few minutes with a gold capsule of the size of a small rock with a symbol engraved on it. 


"This is your energy symbol, my dear. This will help you in your quest for peace. Keep it with you all the time. And use it

when you want to reveal the secret. This will be your key." He nods to Clive.


Bidding him goodbye, they both leave. On the way back, Clive tells her he had to leave to work. "But remember, keep the capsule with you all the time. It will protect you. I will also tell you how and when to use it. It has a purpose."


"You also have to tell me what you know and what you're upto, Clive".

"Oh that! Well, you will understand it once you start feeling the power of this key. Ofcourse, I will tell you."


Sonia wonders if she should go back to her house, but instead she heads to her dad's office.  "Hi dad, do you have time for a quick coffee?"


"Sona! How nice to see you here. I'm just heading home. Why don't you come over and surprise everybody and spend the

evening with us. It'd be great. "  Well, what better than spending time with loved ones, thinks Sonia. She wonders if she has to call her boyfriend, Jo, to tell him she is out since morning and realizes he never called until now.  He is probably busy with in his own work, she thinks.  Back at home , she sees her grandmother in the hall, with a tray of cookies. 


"Sona, see I made your favourite cookies. Rich butter, almonds and cranberries. Freshly baked. Have them."

"They're yummy granma!  I will take the rest with me."

"Always a pleasure, sweetheart. I will make some tea for you guys".

She searches for her mother and finds her in the garden. She feels safe and calm in the homely atmosphere where there is everyone to care for you. She wonders if she has to talk about her situation to her parents. Should I tell them about Jo? Should I tell them about meeting Clive today and the wierd things that happened? Should I actually tell them everything about me today?

After mulling over the ideas for a few minutes, she decides to let go. She has to handle this on her own. And moreover, now she has the key.


**********00--00**********





© 2010 Shivi


Author's Note

Shivi
it's just a fictitious writing. So, any place, person mentioned here doesn't exist in real and if it does it's just a coincidence :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well aren't you a creative little bee. I must say I felt as if I lived in Panaha. It sounds like an island that makes up Hawaii--tropical and wet. I have a feeling this is going to get supernatural soon and I can't wait. Science fiction is my favorite genre. I like Sonia and Clive for two entirely different reasons and you development of their characteristics is to be commended. Can't wait to see where this idea takes you.

There were things peppered here and there that might need correction of adjustments. Didn't take away from the story much in my opinion but tweaks would make the delivery smoother. I didn't write them all, because I'm heavily medicated and growing tired but if you find them helpful I'll continue another time.

~"...(were) warned from stepping out."~ Must stay in past tense.
~when she (traveled) in the bus from her college..~not big on using was before verbs, just sounds smoother this way to me. (opinion only)
~The rain (isn't) that bad~ is what I think you meant.
~...going to (visit) her brother(, Clive,) (who'd) called (that) morning (and asked that they meet) at their old high school.
~know (about) my Secret(?") Sonia (asked)(,) when Clive (explained that he wanted) to help her with what she (was) going through.~ again, must keep same tense.
~...closed book(,) and growing up watching him that way, (she'd longed) to rip him apart. But instead(,) she (ran) away.~
~spoke rarely, only (meetings) being at their (parent's) house on certain occasions.~
~Clive (was) a soft spoken guy who (kept) to himself. He (was) very reserved and (liked) giving short answers to any questions asked. ...wondered if he (was) still into any wrongdoings... The thought (made her shudder)... There was (an uproar?) at the house... but now it (seemed that) everyone (had) come to terms with it. (Moreover), Clive (was) a much better name than Alexandre(--at least she thought so.)~
~look at Sonia (and one would) never think her life (was) complicated. She (had) a great face(--flawless skin, perfect cheekbones, and rosy lips). (The sheerest of foundations) wouldn't be able to (mimic) the glow that (illuminated) her face. She (had) a chic style that (complimented) her slim figure... But if (one) looked carefully, (they) would see that (rosy) lips never turned into...~
~...out of her day dreaming(, she noticed the bus had stopped at the school. She) got (off) the bus and walked towards Clive(,) who stood under the banyan tree(. Ah, the banyan trees,

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Added on September 28, 2010
Last Updated on September 29, 2010


Author

Shivi
Shivi

Bangalore, India



About
Passionate, fun, crazy, action-oriented person. Like to write poetry. I must say I am an impulsive writer actually. Spritually inclined, learn to practice Reiki. Anything that's connected to the natur.. more..

Writing