Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by ShowtunesGiraffe
"

I am soooo sorry I haven't written for so long! I wasn't sure what to do next but I hope this is good.

"
When I awoke to gleaming sunset and cool grass the next morning, I found Tobeke standing beside me, beaming. In one hand he held one of the pink fruits, and he held out the other to me.
"Ready to go?" he asked cheerfully.
"Yes," I said, taking his hand. It was warm and welcoming, and all of a sudden I remembered the events of the previous night. Had he really said he loved me? Did I love him? I pondered this, and a warm, fuzzy feeling filled my stomach. The answer was yes, I was sure. He was the only person I'd ever met who made me feel loved and accepted. And to think he felt the same about me? I hoped he couldn't see me blush.
Hand in hand, we continued accross the green hills dotted with colorful flowers. They filled the clean air with a sweet scent. Inhaling, I thought about the ladies who made flower crafts in the market back in Joyaska. Perhaps after this all was over, I could sell flower crafts; I had always loved flowers. Awashed with a new feeling of hope, I realised that maybe I wouldn't have to be a servant my whole life. I could find another job, and marry, and have a family! New, wonderful dreams came to me as I smelled those sweet flowers.
"What would you do if you were a human?" I blurted, turning my head toward Tobeke in curiosity. 
He thought for a minute. Then he said, "Explore. Discover. Learn as much about the earth as I could. I would travel to new lands, discover new plants and animals, and fill my mind with all the knowledge the world has to offer!"
"Couldn't you just ask your father or Otero to tell you?" I asked.
"Perhaps," he responded. "I used to, actually. When I was younger, I'd sit myself on the laps of all the gods and ask about the earth. Usually I was shooed away, unless I was really lucky, when they would occasionally answer my questions. I loved that. But once, I found a purple butterfly in the palace, and I realised I could discover things for myself, and that felt much better than just having someone tell me." He smiled, and that made me smile. 
Then he turned toward me. "What about you? I mean, you're a human, but I mean-"
"I'd sell flower crafts." I said. "I used to think I'd be stuck as a servant forever, but for some reason, I've realized that I could sell flower crafts and be much happier."
"What if we could explore together?" he asked. "We could discover new flowers, and you could sell them. I would take you anywhere you wanted to go."
"That's..... that's......" I stuttered. Words could not describe how this idea made me feel. I loved the idea of Tobeke and I exploring together, so much that it hurt inside because deep down, I knew that even if we survived this journey, he would have to go back to being a star, and I would have to go back to living in Joyaska. 
"I love that idea." I finally managed, pushing that thought out of my mind. I had to focus on the journey at hand now. I squeezed his hand and we continued on, not talking for a long time.
As we walked, though, the grass became a darker green, and the flowers gradually disappeared. I looked up and saw that we were under a depressing, gray cloud. Then we were on the top of a steep hill, and a cold wind blew in our faces, making my hair fly back. Down the hill, a moderate fog shrouded the ground. A chill creeped down my spine, and I hoped that for some reason, Tobeke's sense of navigation would tell him that we should go the other way. 
We paused at the top of the hill, and I spoke. "Something tells me something bad is down there."
"We have no choice." Tobeke responded. "Wanae Mountain is that way. See, you can even see it's peak in the distance." He pointed east, and I could also see the outline of a dark mountain on the horizon.
"I see. Let's go." I said. "Whatever we face, we face together." And off we ventured down the hill.


© 2015 ShowtunesGiraffe


Author's Note

ShowtunesGiraffe
Please give any opinions about the story- negative or positive, all are needed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on June 25, 2015
Tags: adventure, mythology, quest


Author

ShowtunesGiraffe
ShowtunesGiraffe

The Great Wide Somewhere



About
I am a theater girl! My writing may be a variety of things, including novels, poetry or just plain silliness! more..

Writing