Posters Painting the Way

Posters Painting the Way

A Chapter by Shubhajyoti Sengupta

Time, never really speaks for itself! It only leaves some memories to rejoice and mourn over. The night was surely over. The cloudy morning made its way through the overcast dilemmas. He went out. Groceries it was. The shadows on the walls made it look like a dream. Dreams of when he was fifteen. It was a nice age to be in. The wet morning brought fond memories. It was one such morning when he saw that lemon vendor. The yellow color of the lemon in the contrast of the dark sky mesmerized him. Fascinated him to write a poem!!! But he didn't know back then that poems cannot be written about some colors or things. It should have some appeal in it. He lost the battle and wrote again. Once he saw a girl in a green frock, riding her bike down the skinny lanes leading to his home. He was overwhelmed as he suddenly saw that the green frock turning into wings and then he heard a flapping noise as she flew across the park and on the roof of the far away building. He never got to tell anyone all these things; he kept the pleasant secrets all for himself.

 

At night when he used to think about corn fields and highways, once-in-a-while he found this brown rabbit on his bed. It was also pleasant and happy. He often wondered why people tend to make a mess of their lives when there are so many colors to see.

The road seemed to be pitch-dark and the vegetable stalls on the both side gave him a happy sensation. He likes to see the leafy vegetables and herbs specially, as they appear to him as if they are waiving at him. He sometimes stops in front of these stalls just to gaze at the beauty that they offer. And yes the contrast was just awesome. The grayish cloud, the vegetable vendors and a white stray dog circling around, sniffing at the road and looking at him with his marble-black eyes while wagging his tail as if he is waving back at the leafy vegetables, made it quite a spectacle to watch. No matter how much beauty there was in that moment, he suddenly realized that he was in the mood of buying some coffee.

Buying stuffs from the grocery store is a fun. He asks for many brands and he likes the different colors of the labels and the sometimes the smell of the beans.

When he entered the store, the owner was busy reading the newspaper. He sometimes writes in this paper. Articles about society and things like that. The color of the paper was not unique enough to be stared at for long. So he decided to look at the products in stead. The plastic containers of the soft-drinks always have these four colors in the form of orange, green, black and sometimes white. It seems like as if they are trying to evoke any national sentiment. He chuckles to himself, just at the moment when a small creature approached him.  It was a girl, very young that she was, made her look like more of an elf to him. She was dark and dusty, with long pointed nose and brownish little lips shaped in the form of rose petals. She was reading a book. He was surprised as if it was a dream. Then not making a further delay, he tried to get out of the shop. The girl was irritated. She had a very assertive tone for a girl of her age. It seemed like her father already gave her the responsibilities of running the grocery. The girl asked what he wanted and what the reason was that he came here. He was taken aback and then after thinking it over for a second or two he said “coffee”. Well then coffee it is. The girl handed him over a red colored branded bottle of powdered coffee. Its 125 bucks she said promptly. He thought it might be a sign that he should have this brand instead the one he usually takes. The random things in life need to change until and unless they are disturbing the rhythm of his life.

Then it started raining. He tried to make his way out. The girl stopped him again and handed him over a blue umbrella. She told him to bring it back the next day. As he went out, he suddenly found out how beautiful this navy blue color looks in the contrast of the grey sky and the white rains. It was indeed a beautiful beautiful morning. There was nothing to make him unhappy!



© 2012 Shubhajyoti Sengupta


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Added on May 17, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012