To the silence of the gods

To the silence of the gods

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

How long for us to eschew the mute god?

"

Where are thou?

I cannot see you nor can I hear you.

I feel nothing when I close my eyes and fold my hands to you.

There is no voice, no form, there is no God, and yet there is a need to conform. 


I was frustrated as he never replied, he never listened to me or saw my pain, 

I left the temple and broke my chain; I threw my ring and walked in the rain.

The rain washed away the sandal from my forehead and the idea of God from my mind.

 

I grew up reading of the mind, of Freud and his thoughts.

I went on investigating from blogs to books of all sorts.

I then discovered much later that it was in a state of no mind and no thoughts.

That peace prevails.


It becomes bolder as our mind become more silent, our thoughts become clearer,

And we can see through to the floor, like gazing through still water.

We understand that our being is walking a tightrope, 

Over the water and we look forward to hope.


Our mind balancing between the past and the future,

We often fall into the trap of one or the other. 


We learn that by only walking moment to moment,

A step at a time, can we have the balance, to see ourselves reach the future unbent. 


I learned that the silence that follows once our eyes closed,

Is the silence that we were always looking for, it needs no name, no form,

No need to conform or follow any norms.

I learned that this was what the Buddha asks us to seek,

Gain strength from this silence, and not to be weak. 

© 2016 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Inspired from the words of the great OSHO (Acharya Rajneesh)
The man who moved the world and spoke the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll1XQ90JOs

Please do share your thoughts, let us have a healthy discussion, debate.

Won - Story/Poetry contest by 'Skib'

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

...this was kind of hard to read - but because I could relate so powerfully to this. It was really amazing. I've had many years as of late, where I've consistently struggled in my relationship with God, sometimes just struggling to have faith in him. There are still many days where I resent him for the things that goes on in the world, but at some point we humans have to take responsibility for our own actions, God or no God.

Very amazing write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you. The dilemma that you are facing now was what I faced many years ago. read more



Reviews

A poem about the beauty and peace in balance and silence. Some revel in the chaos but it's in stillness we find growth.

Loved the journey this poem took us on.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review. Very appreciated.
Well trained silence is more eloquent than speech. Most times we frustrate our selves waiting for answers we've already gotten, searching for things we already have all because they were packaged in a way we were not expecting. Finding peace within your self I believe is one of the greatest blessings.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Really well said Jerry. I completely agree with you. In fact OSHO has even once mentioned exactly wh.. read more
Beautifully written.. the way you portrayed the semblance of how one experiences the meditative state is phenomenal.. I enjoyed reading.. regardless of the fact that I can't really be still and calm enough to well stay calm.. but the piece had me read it single mindedly!! Keep writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Happy to know that you loved the poem. Actually, the art of keeping still takes years to be mastered.. read more
Hello Ashan Shanker,

This poem really resonated with me. I think many of us can relate as we too, have walked a similar path. This is a great thought-provoking read! Nicely done!

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you once more Schatzi. Really appreciated.
a good write although too many I's for me maybe one or two per stanza only...in the 2nd and 3rd but you improved so much as the poem read on.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you Andrew for the review
I've read quite a few poems on here since I signed up, and this is one of the few that actually flowed nicely. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice one. I liked the line "silence that follows once our eyes are closed". Says a lot about the power of silence. Would love to see more imagery about silence in your writing. Good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That is a very pretty poem! : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much Akshita
Nice work Ash. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much Mifa!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

741 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 12, 2016

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Temptation Temptation

A Story by Philip Muls