To the silence of the gods

To the silence of the gods

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

How long for us to eschew the mute god?

"

Where are thou?

I cannot see you nor can I hear you.

I feel nothing when I close my eyes and fold my hands to you.

There is no voice, no form, there is no God, and yet there is a need to conform. 


I was frustrated as he never replied, he never listened to me or saw my pain, 

I left the temple and broke my chain; I threw my ring and walked in the rain.

The rain washed away the sandal from my forehead and the idea of God from my mind.

 

I grew up reading of the mind, of Freud and his thoughts.

I went on investigating from blogs to books of all sorts.

I then discovered much later that it was in a state of no mind and no thoughts.

That peace prevails.


It becomes bolder as our mind become more silent, our thoughts become clearer,

And we can see through to the floor, like gazing through still water.

We understand that our being is walking a tightrope, 

Over the water and we look forward to hope.


Our mind balancing between the past and the future,

We often fall into the trap of one or the other. 


We learn that by only walking moment to moment,

A step at a time, can we have the balance, to see ourselves reach the future unbent. 


I learned that the silence that follows once our eyes closed,

Is the silence that we were always looking for, it needs no name, no form,

No need to conform or follow any norms.

I learned that this was what the Buddha asks us to seek,

Gain strength from this silence, and not to be weak. 

© 2016 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Inspired from the words of the great OSHO (Acharya Rajneesh)
The man who moved the world and spoke the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll1XQ90JOs

Please do share your thoughts, let us have a healthy discussion, debate.

Won - Story/Poetry contest by 'Skib'

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

...this was kind of hard to read - but because I could relate so powerfully to this. It was really amazing. I've had many years as of late, where I've consistently struggled in my relationship with God, sometimes just struggling to have faith in him. There are still many days where I resent him for the things that goes on in the world, but at some point we humans have to take responsibility for our own actions, God or no God.

Very amazing write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you. The dilemma that you are facing now was what I faced many years ago. read more



Reviews

I loved the beginning, so like a psalm, filled with passion: "I left the temple and broke my chain; I threw my ring and walked in the rain"- how like my own seeking- strong images of the break with the vows to follow religion, embrace the cleansing of nature, to seek on one's own. "I grew up reading of the mind, of Freud and his thoughts. . ." Like my own journey- I studied philosophy, theology, psychology . . . Got a MA in the School Education in Counseling . . . Seeking to understand the mind of mankind. Went on to Martial Arts, an obscure form from monks who dwelt in caves- and in that, emptied the mind, embraced the moment of each movement, stood for hours working through the body/mind response to emptying thought. I love the 4th stanza in its entirety- especially the image of walking a tightrope over water. My spiritual walk has felt like this at times, and other times, I step off the tightrope and realize I am still walking on water, softly, relaxed, no need to balance because there is no strain and the natural balance takes over. In the last stanza, you speak of the silence that needs no name, does not conform- this is like the groundlessness we fight as human beings- wanting to grasp, and in ceasing that grasping, peace comes, silently. Where I have experienced this silence, I have also experienced the fullness of all creation in it, and then, the silence again. Where some seek this transcendent moment, i am called to manifestation- the creation out of the void, humming and moving with life, all possibilities held suspended until manifestation comes. In that, I find joy, peace comes too, after the joy settles quietly. I have a friend that embraces the silence and transcendent peace you describe- it is his way. And we both know I am called to a path of spontaneous action - as the spirit leads me, in inner voice, song, and right action in the right timing. Another way. I honor your deep silence, and the peace that comes in the present, so fully felt. Your poem captures this well. Thank you for inviting discourse; we honor each other in celebrating how each of finds the present moment and the peace you speak of. Great thought-provoking read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

The beginning that you loved, well, was my least favorite and I was about to delete that whole stanz.. read more
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

I'm so glad you didn't delete the first stanza! It really sets up the journey- shows your humanity a.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Please do look him up on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll1XQ90JOs
This i.. read more
Very Inspiring Read, my friend. Some Deep thought's poured into this beautifully crafted Poem. Very Introspective too. One of Best i have read so far on WC, lately. Keep up the Good Work. Feeling Enlightened. =)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Wow, One of the best you say. that is really encouraging. But YEs, I did spot some tremendous poetic.. read more
i very much enjoyed it, it was great to see poetry with hues of religion from places other than my own rotten country


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JetMardium

7 Years Ago

the home of decadence and sin, a land where people claim to have freedoms, but we are only slaves to.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

haahahah.. USA you say. Wow. The whole world is in awe of USA. Including us Indians
JetMardium

7 Years Ago

thats sad, this country is scum at its finest, so many of the worlds most atrocious inhumanities dev.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

741 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 12, 2016

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Temptation Temptation

A Story by Philip Muls