Locked in Pages

Locked in Pages

A Story by Sarah
"

I'm just looking to grow, so any reviews - good or bad would be appreciated! I LOVE constructive criticism!

"

The room was filled with bookshelves, dusty with years and stories. Worn spines and tattered edges lined the shelves. The titles varied from cookbooks to babies to religion. She tried to imagine who had bought these books in the first place. The Ethics of Travel was definitely her grandmother. Her grandfather probably purchased the plethora of ESP books, she smiled at the thought of her grandfather trying to channel another soul. Vitty had no idea where the DIY books for building a table or a TV stand came from, she was not sure she had ever seen a DIY project in her family. The collection of books was as diverse as the needs of the family who owned them. These shelves were a lifetime of pleasure, unfinished projects, research, and memories.


 Vitty’s finger rested on a blue book, the binding worn white. It was an old 1954 yearbook. Vitty’s grandmother’s high school name was embossed along the spine. She pulled the book from the collection of albums and photography guides and opened the cover. Vitty delicately flipped through pages filled with black and white faces of teenagers from generations past. Each picture held a story, but any onlooker had no way of knowing how each one began or ended. Every face was nameless. Yet Vitty could relate to each one, they were yet another American adolescent: each one working through high school, waiting for their life start, their journey to unfold. She wondered if they were sitting with their grandchildren now. Did the high school quarterback wind up with the cheerleader high school sweetheart, and have the perfect small town family? Did the captain of the quiz team become a leader in Microsoft?  Did they have the same fears for their lives, families, and happiness that she had now? How did their story end?


There is no way of knowing these answers. The story behind each smile, each gaze, and each photograph is locked in the pages. The only way to expose the tales is through someone who was there, but even then, each person would tell the story of a photograph differently. Depending on if they were the math team president who was bullied by the football team, the next-door neighbor who just wanted her first kiss, or the boy who know one really understood " one photograph could tell four different stories.


Every yearbook looks the same in structure, but each one is filled with different stories and faces. Everyone can relate to a yearbook, but no one can guarantee what’s in it, or what comes out of it. 

© 2012 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
I'm just looking to grow, so any reviews - good or bad would be appreciated! I LOVE constructive criticism!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 24, 2012

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Writing
Waves of Thought Waves of Thought

A Story by Sarah


Life is a Game Life is a Game

A Poem by Sarah