behind the curtain

behind the curtain

A Story by marie

The mirror seemed to laugh at me as an unfamiliar face stared into my very soul. This person's sunken eyes and hollow cheeks told the tales that the cracked lips refused to speak. Tales of a long life in a short span. Tales of sorrow that seemed to follow this person wherever she went. Red dripped down her face telling all she was a painter, it dripped down her face from the moment she has wiped her sweat from her brow leaving the crimson shade behind. I sighed as I turned my face away and began to scrub my hands and arms clear trying to draw out the tranquility of the moment.This world seemed to so much simpler when all that mattered was a brush and a piece of paper. It was free of the turmoil that plagued the day. A crash reverberated against my door, they were fighting again. Taking a deep breath I opened my sanctuary to the screams and curses that echoed through the small house. Across the hall was a small room where me little sister stayed, I opened the door finding her huddled in a corner tears streaming down her face. 
"You wanna come to my room?"
I asked she nodded her short curly hair bobbing atop her cherub like face. I reached down and picked her up her small frail arms wrapped around my neck as if her very existence depended on it. A silent tears escaped my eyes and slipped down my cheek as she nuzzled her head into the pocket between my shoulder and my head, my straight brown locks falling down from its loose bun struck free by her little hands. It fell in soft waves around her as if it was trying to protect her from the trials of the world. She shouldn't have to go through this, but that was the system, didnt matter if the guy was a drunk, or if the woman's rage seemed to always spill out onto the closest breathing thing to her. If they had a room thats where you went.
"I wanna go home, sissa."
My sister's pet name for me brought a gentle smile to my face, something only she could do to me. It disappeared as what she said finally registered in my mind. I hugged her tightly daring the world to take her away from my arms as I replied,
"I know but we have to stay here for a while, ok?"
She pulled back and looked into my eyes with her pale blue ones as if she was studying me. Her forehead crinkled as she nodded her head and burried her face into my shoulder once again. A little more hurt added to the pile that was slowly building up, it wasn't exactly a lie that I told her, but it still stung like one. The truth was we would never go home, and it was all my fault.
I pushed back my thoughts as I carried margy into my room she went over to my bed and pulled out the box I kept underneath. I followed her and sat down beside her and peered over her shoulder into the small box. It was the last memory that was ours. The last one that could be called happy. Its rusty hinges creaked as she opened it revealing an age worn picture plastered to its old oak interior, reminding me of the times when life was so perfect, free of all the fear that ensnared my senses in this day and hour. Margy reached into the box and took out a small golden chain with two rings hanging onto the end of so as not to be lost. Our parents wedding bands. 
"A big one for daddy'
Margy said as she slipped the larger ring off the chain and onto her thumb were it lay loosely about to fall off.
"And a tiny one for mommy"
She removed our mothers ring and placed it on my right ring finger I smiled at her and ruffled her hair. She giggled and reached back into the small chest of our past pulling out age worn letters that held our mothers graceful handwriting.
"Can you read to me?"
A lump grew in my throat as I nodded and sifted through the letters making sure the ones I picked out were for margy. She squealed with delight and crawled into my lap. I reached into my pocket, pulled out my ipod from my pocket and put on angel of mine by Evanescence i gave her one of the earphones and placed the other in my own ear. i rested my head on hers as i read out the letter.
"Margaret its your first day of school and i couldn't be more proud of you. i have to say i was praying this day would never come, but i know you have to grow up someday. i cried as i watched you from the car, rushing up the stairs in your cute little jumper with the purple fringes on the bottom. i almost leapt out of the seat, and run after just to give you one last hug as you turned around and waved at me in front of the door. your beautiful smile was with me the rest of the day. i remember when your sister made the same trek away form my arms. i hope that when the three of us read this together i won't laugh to hard at how ridiculous i am being for crying over this...."
the words caught in my throat as an especially loud crash echoed through the small house.
"put everything back i'll go and check to make sure everything is ok."
i said slipping the ring off my finger and into her waiting hand. i eased her off my lap as i stood leaving the ipod with her. i sighed and opened the door creaping down the hallway towards the kitchen. Amy stood by the age turned yellow refrigerator, her eyes where glazed over in rage as she stared at her husband. Her greasy hair fell in clumps around her unhealthily pale and hollow face. it echoed her personality perfectly. 
"where are my goddambed cigarettes?!"
she screamed at Jon who stared out the window aimlessly with his bloodshot eyes and yellow fingers. there was to much yellow in this house. 
"i dunno ames calm down"
his words slurred together to where the were almost incomprehensible. i stepped foreword with shaking legs in an attempt to cease at least this argument, hoping that my entering would give them enough distraction to make them at least pause. i reached above the stove and opened the shelf and got out a glass. i could feel amy's eyes boring into my back, but i made my self ignore her, as i walked to the sink and filled the glass with water. 
"do you know where they are brat?"
i gulped as i answered,
"no ma'm"
her nostrils flared as she grabbed my arm and jerked me outside throwing me with more force than i believed her small frame could manage. i stumbled barely catching myself before falling into the concrete driveway. a chill ran down my spine as i looked up at her angry eyes.
"No liars gonna stay in my house."
She slammed the door before i could react, panic coursing through my veins i ran around the house and banged on the window to my room margy's precious little head soon appeared on the other side of the glass. Her eyes wide she opened the window. 
"Sissa?"
I climbed in and began tearing through the room grabbing what little money i had, my phone, ipod, and stashing all, but my phone in the box.
"Sissa?"
her words crashed through my heart and i looked at her knelt down and looking her in the eyes. 
"Margy, we can't stay here, they tried to make me leave you, we're gonna stay with Jabir for a little while ok?"
a defeated look edged its way into her expression as she nodded and replied,
"Can I get my coat?"
I smiled at her and nodded nudging her out the door. I slid my hand under my pillow and grabbed a small key. I locked the box then attached it to my small chain necklace. 

© 2013 marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

a interesting write you have written there, so full of tenderness and violent depressing emotions too.


Posted 10 Years Ago


marie

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you like it!:)
This is one of your better writes. I have read the beginning of it before, as it was one you were hand writing quite some time ago, but now that the story is continued, I anxiously await the next part.

Posted 11 Years Ago


marie

11 Years Ago

I have some plans running around my head for this one:) I think it's going to surprise some people:)
Ethale Captor

11 Years Ago

When do you think you may have it up?
marie

10 Years Ago

I don't know hopefully by tomorrow
A great concept, you show some great talent (like I haven't noticed by now :D ) loved how you portrayed the emotion, great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


marie

11 Years Ago

Thanks:) hoping to put more up soon:) your not so bad yourself nick:)
Nick.B

11 Years Ago

Really? Thank you :D
marie

11 Years Ago

Really:)
This was extremely well written! You did a fantastic job displaying the emotion and I almost cried along with Margy!
Great job! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


marie

11 Years Ago

I'm glad my writing was able to touch you:)
StayAnchored

11 Years Ago

You're welcome! :)
marie

11 Years Ago

:)
there is a measured skill in your writing ability, no doubt. you tell a very good story and keep the reader engaged. i agree with eclipsing moon on the sentence structures but, honestly, this is very good and has much potential with just a little attention to some very minor issues. well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


marie

11 Years Ago

Thanks Quin!:) I'm glad you liked it:) planning in sitting down with this one and revising it tomorr.. read more
actually good content, ...but you tend to write like I do and write a long run-on sentence..its difficult to read people say...

Posted 11 Years Ago


marie

11 Years Ago

lol:) yeah:) thanks for the advice:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 10, 2013
Last Updated on January 10, 2013

Author

marie
marie

Laurel, MS



About
I have been away from this site for a while, hoping to get back into the swing of things. I recently turned 18 and have rediscovered my muse. If you wish to befriend me, please constructively review m.. more..

Writing
Lace Lace

A Poem by marie


a story a story

A Poem by marie


The Cold The Cold

A Story by marie