Last chapter

Last chapter

A Chapter by Spencer Hoadley


      “There are some things we need to talk about,” Cassie told Evan as they walked.

      “Is something wrong, babe?” Evan asked worriedly.

      “It's nothing new.” she told him.

      “It may not be new, but it's something.” Evan said, pulling Cassie closer to him.

      “Let's get to the park before we talk about it. Would you be okay with that, sweetheart?” she stoically asked.

      Evan softly kissed the top of her head. “Anything for you.”

* * * 

      When they got to the park, the sun was beginning to descend beyond the horizon. The last two blocks that they walked before reaching the park had been relatively silent. Both had been thinking about what was going to be said. They reached the swings and sat, holding hands.

      “How much do your parents know?” Cassie asked.

      “What do you mean?” Evan replied.

      “Like, what all do they know about what’s going on between us?” she answered.

      “Well, they know we started dating about a month after I moved here, and they know that were serious about being together. I mean, why else would we stay together for more than a year and a half?”

      “And we've kissed in front of them, so, of course, they know we've done that. But they don't know about...” she looked down, “me. Do they?”

      He squeezed her hand and pulled their swings closer together. “No, they don't know about..."He paused. "That.”

      “I'm just scared of people finding out. Please don't take that wrong, I'm scared about what they would think. And what if our drama teacher finds out? That could be almost as bad as our parents. You know how strict she is with her students--”

      “Sweetheart,” Evan interrupted, “Why are you talking about our drama teacher? School doesn't even start for another week.”

      Cassie took a deep breath and said, “I'm sorry. I got really upset right before I called you earlier. I'm scared that my mom might know. The last couple days she’s been suggesting I wear tighter tops.”

      “So?” Evan replied.

      “So, I've been able to hide it the last three months, but now I'm starting to get a baby bump. That's kinda hard to hide. I might just be paranoid, but I think she knows. Why else would she want me to wear tighter tops?”

      For a couple of minutes, they just sat, holding hands. Finally, Evan spoke. “Either she knows, or she’s like me, and thinks you look great in those shirts.” Cassie let out one small laugh, and they got out of the swings.

      “I should probably get you home, babe,” Evan said as he wrapped his arm around Cassie's waist. “The last thing I need is for your mom to be mad at me.”

      Cassie looked around. “I didn't realize it had gotten so late.” She wrapped her arms around Evan and laid her head on his chest. He lightly touched her stomach with his free hand before wrapping his arm around her. They slowly began walking to Cassie's house.

* * *

      How am I going to tell Mom? It's not like I can just go up to her and say, “Great dinner. Oh, and by the way, I'm pregnant.” What would she think? This shouldn't have ever happened. It only happened that one time. I shouldn't have gotten pregnant. I don't want to have to tell her, but I can't hide it any longer. If she finds out before I can tell her, I'm dead. I can't just have an abortion either; I just can't do that. Evan and I are just teenagers, but I know Evan will be a great dad. I'm not sure how good I'm going to be, but I know Evan will be great...We need to tell Mom soon...Okay, I'll call Evan and tell him we need to tell her.

• • •

      How did this happen? It only happened that one time. I was trying to show her how much I loved her, but all I did was hurt her. I can't believe I'm putting her through this. I think it's time her mom found out, but I don't think Cassie wants her to know yet. Cassie -- I love her so much. I wish I could tell her how much I do. I hope she wants to keep the baby. I'm not too sure about myself, but Cassie? She's going to be an amazing mother. I hope the baby turns out more like her than me. Maybe if I can find a good time to bring it up, we can talk about telling her mom. Maybe tomorrow we could talk about it? No, tomorrow probably wouldn't be a good time to bring it up. I mean, she was so scared earlier....

• • •

      Evan's phone rang. He saw that it was Cassie and smiled, “Hey, babe. Want to go to the mall this weekend?”

* * *

      “I don’t really see the point of this place,” Evan said as he and Cassie walked out of a store. “I would understand having it in bigger towns, but here in the Magic Valley Mall? Do they really expect people to pay $150 for a shirt that already has holes in it?”

      “I’m pretty sure you brought me here to do something other than talk about shirts,” Cassie broke in. “So, let’s just get it out of the way, and enjoy the rest of the day, okay?”

      Evan’s smile faintly faded.  “We both know what I want to talk about,” he said, looking into Cassie’s baby-blue eyes. “We need to tell your parents. I don’t know how or when, but I think we should tell them soon.”

      “I was thinking about that the other night. I think we should tell my mom, but only because if she finds out before we tell her, we're both going to be dead,” Cassie told Evan.

      “What about your dad?” Evan asked. “Are we going to just let your mom tell him?”

      “That's another thing I thought about,” Cassie said as she pulled Evan towards a maternity store. “If we wait until next Friday to tell them, we can both be there for sure, and we can tell both my parents at once"”

      “Wait. Your dad is coming to your party?” Evan cut in.

      Cassie looked at him and let out a giggle. “Not the whole thing. Yes, he hates my mom, but I'm still his little girl,” she said as she looked through a rack of clothes. “He hasn't missed any of my birthdays yet, and I don't think he plans to miss this one. Now, if you'll excuse me for a moment, I'd like to try this shirt on.” She leaned over to give Evan a quick kiss before walking into the dressing room.

* * *

      “I'll be back in a little while.” Cassie's mom yelled down the hall. She turned to Evan. “Do you want me to have them put anything on the cake for you?”

      “Maybe just a little thing that says, 'Happy Birthday, I love you'?” Evan answered.

      “Okay. Just make sure Cassie behaves herself while I'm gone,” her mom joked.

      Evan quickly chuckled, “I'll do my best, Ms. Mason.”

      A couple minutes passed after Ms. Mason left before Cassie walked into the kitchen. “Sorry it took me so long,” she said.

Her chocolate brown hair fell to her shoulders and had a slight flip at the ends. She had her bangs swept across her forehead, with a few stray strands falling against her baby-blue eyes. A kiss of black eyeliner hugged her eyes, and was highlighted by her usual bubblegum eye shadow. Her delicate, pale pink lips glistened under the lights. She was wearing a white T-shirt with black skinny jeans. Her baby bump was beginning to show under the shirt. “You're absolutely gorgeous. You're beautiful babe,” Evan said, staring in awe.

Cassie walked towards Evan and wrapped her arms around his neck.

     “We've got the house to ourselves and I'm already pregnant,”she softly touched her lips to his.”I say we have a little fun.”

* * *

      “Are you sure tonight is the right time to tell your parents?” Evan asked Cassie as she adjusted his tie.

      “It's the best chance we're going to have,” Cassie answered. “Now, can you help me with this zipper?”

      Evan walked over to Cassie and pulled the dress's zipper together. Her deep red dress was strapless. The top and waist hugged her body, with the bottom flaring out, barely reaching her knees. She had straightened her hair, making it gently cascade over her shoulders.

      “I always think that there's no possible way you can look better then you do,” Evan said as he stepped in front of Cassie. “But, you somehow manage to become more and more beautiful everyday.”

      “Well, you don't look half bad yourself,” Cassie replied as she looked over Evan. He was wearing a black suit with a tie that matched Cassie's dress. His long black hair was swept to the side in an attempt to look neat, but still had a slight shag to it.

      “I didn't think your dad would pay for this dinner,” Evan said as he walked Cassie to her mom's car. “I didn't think he could even afford it.”

      “Me either,” Cassie replied. “I guess truck drivers get paid pretty well.” They both laughed as they climbed into the back seat.

• • •

      “Here's your bill. Pay at the front desk whenever you're ready,” the waitress said before walking away.

      “So, um...before we go, there's something Evan and I need to tell you,” Cassie said nervously. “Do you want to tell them?” she asked Evan.

      “Ha, ha,” Evan tentatively laughed. He stood up and stepped behind Cassie's chair. “Well, the story begins about three months ago.”

Cassie's dad leaned forward and put his elbows on the table, resting his chin on his hands. “Just cut to the point, Evan,” he said.

      Cassie started speaking before Evan could. “Well, Mom had left us home to babysit, and Sara had fallen asleep.” Her dad's eyes were locked onto Evan and narrowing, while her mom's eyes were widening in fear. “And...well...Evan didn't want to. I was the one who started it, and talked him into it. And....” Cassie couldn't continue. She looked up at Evan with tears forming in her eyes.

      Evan started where Cassie had stopped. “ And, you're going to be grandparents in about six months.”
      They all sat in silence. Finally Cassie's mom spoke up. “So, you're...you've been pregnant for three months, and you've been hiding it from me? Don't you know that the baby needs prenatal care?”

      Our daughter is pregnant, and all you say is that the baby needs prenatal care?” Cassie's dad yelled.

      A few of the other people in the restaurant looked over when Cassie's dad yelled.

      “Gary,” Cassie's mom said to her dad. “Calm down. We should pay and talk about this outside.”

      “I'm not going to calm down!” Cassie's dad yelled as he slammed his fist into the table. “This...this...stupid boy got my daughter pregnant!”

      “That's not what happened!” Cassie yelled, tears beginning to stream down her cheeks. “I knew you would be upset, but I didn't think you would be like this. I thought you would be more supportive than anything.” She grabbed her purse and started walking towards the door.

      “Thank you for the dinner,” Evan said. “But I should probably go. I mean, I can't just let her leave on her own. And thank you for being so supportive of us. Especially since it's her birthday,” he said with sarcasm so thick that even a toddler would understand it.

      Evan caught up to Cassie just outside of the restaurant. He slid his suit jacket off and placed it on her shoulders, then wrapped his arms around her. “We can stay at my house tonight.” He whispered to her.

      The walk to his house was long and silent. When he opened the front door his mom peaked her head around from the kitchen.

      "Dinner not go well?" She asked.

Evan shook his head before kissing the top of Cassie's. He led her across the house to his room. "You can sleep in here tonight, and I'll use the spare room." He said to her.

      Cassie smiled faintly and whispered "Thank you."

      They sat on Evan's bed in silence for a while. Finally Cassie spoke up. "My dad is supposed to leave town tomorrow morning. I'm glad school is starting...I don't want to see him for a long time." She laid her head on Evan's shoulder. "I hope your mom doesn't mind me staying here tonight."

      “Nah, she understands." Evan replied. "I just feel kinda bad your mom won't be able to see you off to the last first day of school you'll have."

     Cassie smiled. "I still have to go home and get clothes in the morning so I think she'll survive." She laughed. "But it's getting late...especially for a school night." She said as she kissed Evan. "We should probably head to bed."

      Evan walked to the doorway and looked back. "I'll get you up at 6:30?" He asked.

      Cassie nodded and smiled at Evan as she slid a pair of his sweats on under her dress. "I love you." She added as Evan shut the door.

* * *

      Evan put his car in park before walking around to open Cassie's door. "Senior year is finally here." He said smiling. 

      They walked into the school and sat outside Cassie's first class, talking, until the first bell rang.

      “I guess we should get to class." Evan said to Cassie before kissing her on the cheek. "I'll see you next period.” He watched her go into the classroom before walking to his own class.

* * *

      Evan got to his second period class early and sat, waiting for Cassie. The tardie bell rang without her in the room. Evan looked around with a slight puzzlement apparent on his face. Where is she? He thought.

      “Evan Bell?” the teacher called.

      “Here,” he answered.

      The teacher continued with the roll. Finally, she got to Cassie's name. “Cassandra Mason?”

      Evan looked around again.

      “Someone called her to the office last class,” a kid in the class said.

      “Okay,” the teacher replied. “Stevie Newton?” She continued the roll.

      Evan pulled out his phone and sent a text to Cassie. Hey babe :)...where are you?

      He sat, not able to pay attention to the teacher. He already knew that all they were doing was covering the syllabus. Ten minutes later, he got a text back. This is Gary. Cassie won't be able to talk with you anymore. Now leave my daughter the hell alone.

      Evan stared at his phone for a moment, his eyes watering a little. What's going on? Where's Cassie?.

      He got an answer. She won't be back. I picked her up an hour ago. I'm driving now. Goodbye.

* * *

      Cassie opened her eyes slowly; Pitch black. She closed them again as tears formed. A single tear fell as she lost consciousness.



© 2012 Spencer Hoadley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good. i love the detail and i also love how the ending leaves you hanging. i can not wait to read everything else that leads up to this. haha keep on writing
MB

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 22, 2012
Last Updated on March 22, 2012


Author

Spencer Hoadley
Spencer Hoadley

Twin Falls, ID



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Spencer Hoadley